Little House on the Prairie (TV Series 1974–1983) Poster

The best and most touching show ever made.
Remie-111 September 2003
I love that show,I grew up with it,I saw all the episodes about twenty times.Michael Landon was a marvelous man he knew the how to make the show works and to touch audience all over the world. The casting was perfect.The music was great,all the characters had their theme song. If only we could see more about the little house actors now because they were more talented than somme actors you get on television drama now.Mattew Laborteaux was a great actors especially in the episode I'll remember you and Fagin and who could ever forget Scottie Mc gregor and Alyson Amgrim as Hariet and Nelie Olson. My point is that THEY DONT DO SHOWS LIKE THIS ANYMORE and it's sad,they did try to copy it with Dr queen but still it wasn't the half as good. I am hoping one day of somme sort of a reunion even if I know that it wont be the samme as the great Michael Landon died and that many of the others actors did too.
41 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My favorite of many outstanding episodes
thull113 September 2000
I enjoy this series (I faithfully watch the reruns) for the same reasons millions of others do; the story lines that provide valuable lessons in life and the outstanding performances by regulars and guests. I would like to let readers know my all time favorite episode. It's the one titled "The Man Inside". This is the one about the fat man who decides to "leave" so his daughter will no longer have to be embarrassedd by him. Later, the children in the blind school open her eyes and help her realize what a great father he is.
36 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful family show
mommyayla13 November 2005
This show debuted just after my birth, my mother watched it religiously and I was raised watching this show. I have read and re-read all of the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and I now own every season available on DVD. Little House On the Prarie is a show that not only showed America what family is all about, it also tackled serious issues every week. I've read all of the negative comments and still can't see why anyone wouldn't love this show. Yes Michael Landon was a big part of the show, but the show was really about Laura and how she grew up, and as she grew up we got to watch a wonderful actress, Melissa Gilbert, grow up too. At 31 I now look back on this show with love and tenderness, remembering special times with my own mother as I watched it as a child. This is truly one of the best family shows that has ever been broadcast on TV. We need shows like this on TV now.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great
dtucker8629 September 2003
The late Michael Landon spent his life as a part of our tv family. From 1959 when Bonanza came on the air until 1989 when Highway to Heaven was canceled, there was not a single year that he did not have a series on the air. That is a record that will stand for all time I believe. He specialized in creating high quality family programming. People don't generally realize that Mister Landon wrote and directed the majority of the episodes of Bonanza, Little House and Highway To Heaven. Little House showed us a simple, strong loving family who stayed together and solved their problems with the power of love and understanding. Michael was everyone's favorite strict but loving father. Melissa Gilbert said she really looked upon him as a father figure and the chemistry between Half Pint and Pa showed it. Thru Mary's blindness and her baby's death to Laura's marriage and all the other problems the Ingalls stayed together. The show had a first class ensemble cast and everyone did a wonderful job at creating colorful characters from Victor French's lovable Mister Edwards to Katherine MacGregor's snobby, mean Mrs. Olsen. What I like is the fact that Harriet Olsen always got her "comeuppance" at the end of every episode as did Nellie, but they never really did learn their lesson. One episode I remember particularly well was the one where Richard Mulligan played a Cival War veteran who was still troubled by his experiences at the Battle of Shiloh. He had ran away in battle and was seriously addicted to morphine. Mulligan was brilliant in the part and unlike most episodes, this one had a completely tragic ending. He killed himself. Also, the episode where Albert became an addict was excellent. People made fun of the scene where he vomits on Pa during withdrawal but that is exactly what happens to addicts when they go through it. Matthew Laborteaux visited rehab centers to research his part and it shows. It is a chilling look at the horrors of drug abuse.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Love Little House
Monika-510 April 2001
Sure, this series isn't as good as the books, but it's very enjoyable in its own right. Since I was too young to watch the show during its original run, I like to catch up on the reruns whenever I can. The acting was right on: Melissa Gilbert as Laura was perfect. She grew in the role and showed she was quite capable of carrying the show when Michael Landon left. But I can't help but be jealous of her because the gorgeous Dean Butler played her husband, Almanzo! They both did a great job.

Of course, it would be silly for me not to mention the other wonderful actors who made Little House so enjoyable to watch: Michael Landon and Karen Grassle as Pa and Ma Ingalls. Was there ever a cooler, prettier mother on TV than Karen Grassle??? Melissa Sue Anderson as gentle Mary Ingalls was incomparable, especially after she became blind. She was very convincing playing blind! Also noteworthy are Kevin Hagen as Doc Baker, Dabbs Greer as Rev. Alden, Victor French as Mr. Edwards, and Richard Bull and Katherine MacGregor as the nosy, rude, crass, but hysterically funny Nels and Harriet Oleson. And last but certainly not least is one of TV's best villainesses, Alison Arngrim as the snobby, bratty and whiny Nellie Oleson. What would LH have been without the great rivalry between Laura Ingalls and Nellie Oleson? Did they give the writers of Dynasty ideas for the mudfights between Krystle and Alexis???

It's hard to describe what it is about Little House I love so much. I think I love the extreme closeness of the Ingalls family, and the romance. Whether it be the love and romance between long married Charles and Caroline, the sweet love and romance of Laura and her "Manly", among others, or also the fact I grew up watching the reruns on my grandmother's lap and we bonded to this show in a certain sense, I truly have a big spot in my heart for this show and also Laura Ingalls Wilder's wonderful books.

My favorite episode is "Divorce, Walnut Grove Style", Laura and Almanzo's separation over the girl's song, and how they reconcile. What a wonderful show!
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This was an inspiring series
actorsmama4 July 2003
I've also read the negative comments and I have none. I've noticed some of the things that were mentioned but so what? What's wrong with showing emotion and crying? What's the problem with bringing new characters on for just one episode? That's the way shows are done, which should be obvious to all adults by now - if they've watched at least, well.....*anything* in film. I've been part of filming many times and I can tell you honestly that Michael Landon would have been a dream to work with. Melissa Gilbert is a pro and I absolutely adore her work. She remains one of my favorite actors to this day. The rest of the players are priceless. I'm 41 now and I was growing up watching this show and I just wonder how in the world could a parent NOT want their child to watch something like that? I learned so much from the storylines, and they taught me the meaning of goodness and purity. Little House was the epitome of good. They brought to light many situations and the best solutions to them and in most cases no one was ever hurt(unless an emotional learning experience). And not even Jack drowned. :o) If you want a wholesome show that the family will love and will benefit from, this is it. Not even the Waltons can top this one, and I love that show. Overlook the discrepancies that were mentioned here and you won't be sorry you took the chance. I came here to post because I saw that the first season of Little House is coming out and I would love for others to benefit. I just wish they'd filmed it in the past 5 years so my son could've been part of it. :o)
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
LHotP - Best Family Show!
lotsabears6519 April 2006
I don't know what it is about this show, but it is one of my all time favorites. I am now in my early 40's and still watch it every time it airs. I own every DVD and even recorded every show long before DVDs were available. Michael Landon had a gift about the shows he wrote and directed. The best episode, in my opinion, is "The Lord is My Shepherd." The story lines and family atmosphere of these episodes says a lot. I can remember growing up watching these shows every Monday night - brings back fond memories of sharing those times with my family, particularly my grandmother, who adored Michael Landon as much as I did. I wish TV of today had the family values like it had many years ago. Shows such as "Little House" will forever remain a piece of history. Thank God Michael Landon left us such wonderful TV memories! :-)
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Love it
thrwmbsbgkdoepmcjrmrdw11 April 2006
I'm not totally sure why I like the show so much. It has it's serious moments, sad moments and funny moments. One thing I know that I do like best about it is the relationship they show between Pa and Laura. But it also makes you wonder what kind of relationship Michael Landon and Melissa Gilbert had in real life (and from what I've been able to understand it wasn't much different than it was on the show). It's a good wholesome family show and it's a show that makes your heart overfill with joy and love just by watching it. It's one of the best shows that has ever been on TV ever and there will never be another show like it. I've never gone out and bought a whole series of a TV show until LHOTP. I was a little surprised that I did. But once I started and watched the episodes I couldn't help it. It's one of those shows that you can watch over and over again and never get tired of it. Like I said I'm not 100% sure why I like the show so much. But I love the show and to me that is all I care about.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
First episode I saw
dawn6515 May 2006
When I was 10 years old, my family was transfered back to the US from Germany where my dad had been stationed with the US Army. Our first night stateside we stayed in an airport motel, and while flipping through the channels to see what was new on American TV (all we had in Germany was afrts), we saw our first Little House Episode. The Sunday School class was outside under the big tree discussing plans for Rev Aldens birthday. I had read the little house books in school, and based solely on the names I jumped up and yelled, "It's Little House, it's little house" Needless to say, it was still on Wednesday nights then, and it became a Wednesday night tradition in our house, then Mondays. Every time I see the episode I think of that first night after a long flight, and all of us in that motel room. Good memories....
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Uneven Over 9 Years, Solid at its Core
andyred-121 April 2006
A well-written show with some definite episodes within "genres" (broad comedies, moral choices, adventure, family values, religion). As far as a complete body of work, the seasons best hold together in the first four years, ending with "I'll Be Waving as You Drive Away" (you can believe that the family had faced issues and had to move as they moved previously, in the spirit of the books and the time period)...adding additional cast and bringing back characters afterward added some confusion and some continuity problems that are well documented. The last season of episodes and the last TV movies are often lambasted as not true to style, or by having substitute families, and while this is true to a point, the new characters often were used to tell similar stories.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great and Cute Drama-series...
Axel Otterberg30 January 2003
This TV-series is a classic! I love this show. It's great and it's cute...the cast is great and every episode of the series it´s extremely good. Melissa Gilbert is a magnifficent actress, she played her role very well from the start back in 1974 to the end in 1984.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best of the family-oriented shows of the 1970's
rcj53654 September 2005
The great Michael Landon spent his entire life as a part of the television generation. He has a career that span five consecutive decades from the late 1950's all the way until the early part of the 1990's. From 1959 when "Bonanza" came on the air,all the way through the mid-1980's with "Highway To Heaven",and the short-lived series "Us",there wasn't a single year that he did not have a series on the air. That is a record that will stand the test of time. Landon specialized in creating high quality family programming that made him one of the hardest working individuals in television. What made him so unique and successful in all the shows he produced and starred in,that the general public didn't realize that Michael Landon was very technical in what he did since he wrote,produced,and directed many of the episodes for "Bonanza","Little House On The Prairie",and "Highway To Heaven",not to mention his short lived series "Us". Its was here during his most successful show,"Little House On The Prairie",that he was not only the executive producer,but in charge of his own production company and the necessary means in which he had his own studio as well, Michael Landon Productions through the powers that be with TV executives over at NBC. "Little House On The Prairie",show audiences that Landon was way beyond his image as "Little" Joe Cartwright,for which he played for the 14 seasons that "Bonanza" ran on the air,and gave them new light into the character of Charles Ingalls,a strict but loving father who made a way out of no way to provide for his family during the times and struggles that went on the town of Walnut Grove. In about every episode it shows us how a strong loving family who stayed together and basically solved their problems with the love and understanding of one another through the hardships and trials that came their way,but made it through with hope and faith.

"Little House On The Prairie",had enough staying power for the nine and a half years that it ran on NBC-TV(1974-1983)and from there became one of the best family oriented shows of the 1970's,and it stayed that way throughout the remainder of the early-1980's. The series produced 203 episodes,and also developed a spin-off as well,"Father Murphy",which ran for three seasons. Not to mention three successful made for TV movies based on this series as well,from the premiere episode in 1974,to the fiery climax of the series in mid-1983. However,about the episodes,as one comment mentioned them as sweet and sappy as it was remembered,but in other terms it was a series that tackled some very disturbing issues that were relevant in its day while at the same time staying within the frame of the moralistic/family oriented genre. Some of it tackled even darker subjects,and this was a first in the family oriented dramas of the 1970's. But at the same time,it has some very touching moments. Also it had some classic episodes to boot too....Who remembers the episode were Laura Ingalls and Nelly Oleson duked it out against each other? But for most part,and as far as the characters were concerned,we got to see Melissa Gilbert's character of Laura transform during the series run from the development of a little girl to a beautiful woman,and it was during this series that she got married too. The chemistry between Michael Landon as Pa and Melissa Gilbert as Half Pint was perfect in every aspect and it shows in the Golden Globes this show rack up,not to mention the Emmy nominations it received as well. As for the mom,Karen Grassle,there was no cooler mom that she was. The mom every daughter wanted to have. Compassionate,caring and down to earth. Oh yeah,let's not forget Laura's oldest sister,Mary(Melissa Sue Anderson),and the baby girl Carrie(played by twins Lindsay and Sidney Greenbush)who also grows up before our eyes during the show's entire run. And the family's faithful and reliable dog,"Bandit",who comes to the rescue just in case the children get into any danger. And as far as the townsfolk are concerned,out of all the characters in Walnut Grove, there was NOBODY so devious and deliciously evil as Nelly Oleson and actress Allison Arngrim,played it to the tee as well as her mom Harriet Oleson,played by Katherine McGregor...In other words..Nelly was the girl everyone loves to hate!!!

This was a show that was way better and way focus than the other family shows that came out during the 1970's,and "Little House On The Prairie" was that show! Not even its competition,"The Waltons"(which was on a rival network)does not even come close!!! Out of all the shows this one tackled subjects that were too intense for a family show and it shows in some of the episodes. Landon basically went by the books that were the basis for the series that were written by Laura Ingalls Wilder and from there it worked. If you want a wholesome show that the family can love then leave it to Michael Landon and Company to bring you the best. There are some lessons and messages in some of the episodes. This is why it became NBC's most successful show,until it was cancelled in 1983.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Greatest show of all time!
Debra Morris4 March 2015
I am a HUGE fan of Little House on the Prairie, and enjoyed the episodes as a child, and still as an adult. The acting talents on the show is incredible, and extremely rare today!! Michael Landon's talents and portrayal of the wonderful, humane father that he was, was outstanding. Not to mention his directing, writing and being executive producer, as well. Of course, his little 'half-pint,' was nothing less than an adorable little girl, who we saw grow up, who had so much love in her heart, that when she cried, you could feel her pain. Melissa Gilbert too was an incredible actress, as the entire cast was!!!! I've read reviews on the show on various websites, and there were a lot, mostly good!! However, one person said there was too much drama, but I replied, "They were just emphasizing how hard the times were," and did a GREAT job of that!!! Ma and pa were excellent role models, while helping their girls (and Albert), to figure things out for themselves, while teaching their children to respect themselves, and to do the right thing, and not to mention their Christian faith. The show was very believable, since the acting was incredible. Also, the Olson's input brought a lot of comedy to the show, as well as even pa (Michael Landon). Sometimes he was funny if he was upset or disappointed about something. If you have a chance, watch the episode from season 3, "Fred," it's hilarious!! I think what Michael Landon, God rest his soul, brought to the show, and the audience was a huge gift!!! Little House is a feel good show!!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Be sure to see lost episodes as listed below!
Paul-27126 September 2014
If you decide to watch this excellent series from the 70's and 80's, I suggest you get the Director's Cut Lost Episode DVD set which includes both the episodes not aired but best liked by Michael Landon as well as the regularly broadcast ones.

The lost episodes includes those which adhere most closely to the actual books which the series was supposed to be based on but wasn't. The only agreement with the books is that some of the characters have the same names but often different personalities. Some of the lost episodes are as follows:

"The Curse" - a special Halloween two hour special where Laura decides to put a curse on Mary by 'casting her eyes' to the demon Asmodeous. The purpose was to win the romantic attention of Nellie's brother. Because Laura doesn't spell Asmodeous correctly when making the curse, Mary doesn't go blind until the following week's episode and Willie escapes her clutches.

"Feeding the Blind" - Nellie blackmails Willie into killing all the cats in town. Willie is then forced to thread them onto a spear like shish-kabobs and roast them over the fire at the local blacksmith's. The two playful sibs then feed the cats to the children at the blind school. This results in the usual hilarity when the ruse if found out.

"High Times in Walnut Grove" - the kids band up after school and attack the doctor rendering him unconscious. They steal his supply of morphine and dose each other heavily. They, high as second avenue crack whores, wander the streets of Walnut Grove performing a drunken dance some critics have likened to 'the Bolshoi done right'.

"A Picture is Worth A Thousand" - George Eastman comes to town on a trip designed to test his new film camera. He stops to water his horse at the Inghall's farm where he sees Mrs. Inghalls and Mary bathing in the creek. He snaps a few shots of them naked. To retrieve the photos before they appear in 'Farm and Nude' magazine, Pa has to travel to Rochester, NY and ransoms them from Eastman. Pa agrees to Eastman's demands which do not include money.

"Where's the Field?" - Pa decides to do some farming but discovers he lacks any seed, does not own a plow, rake or harrow and comes to the self realization that he has no idea what it means to be a farmer. He explains this to his wife who laughs at him saying what difference does it make since your so called farm is only a half acre mostly taken up by a house and barn!
Good clean family-friendly entertainment
ersinkdotcom12 April 2014
"Little House on the Prairie" has become an entertainment staple in my house. My wife began feverishly DVRing the show and trying to catch all the episodes in some semblance of order since running across it on GMC a couple of years back. Along the way, she sucked my sons into the family- oriented drama as well. She loves it so much I actually made a friend of mine drive 40 miles out of the way on a road trip so I could visit and take pictures of the Ingalls' homestead in Kansas for her.

"Little House on the Prairie" tells the story of Charles Ingalls and his family as they move to Kansas and then Minnesota to start a new life. They settle down in Minnesota and face many hardships as they build a home for themselves outside of the town of Walnut Grove. As they settle into the challenges of everyday life, they make friends and learn to deal with a colorful group of people who run and live in the the little community.

If you're looking for good clean family-friendly entertainment, "Little House on the Prairie" is most definitely the answer to your prayers. It's a show that teaches the importance of family and the strength it provides to weather through the storms life throws at you. Any fan of classic television should clean off a spot in their home library for this new edition of the hit series.
Timeless TV Classic
Thomas8 July 2011
"Little House on the Prairie", which originally aired on NBC from 1974 through 1983, depicts an American family's struggle to survive in pioneer America in the late 19th century. The television series was based on the books written by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

The series was largely written by, directed, and starred Michael Landon, who was a television veteran of the program 'Bonanza'.

In "Little House", Landon portrays Charles Ingalls. Along with his wife Caroline (Karen Grassle) and children Mary (Melissa Sue Anderson), Laura (Melissa Gilbert), and Carrie (Lindsay-Sidney Greenbush), the Ingalls family endures tremendous hardships in their daily lives, including life among American Indians, crop failures, disease, hunger, wild animals, rough weather, and their neighbors in Walnut Grove, Minnesota. The series is depicted from the perspective of Laura Ingalls.

My favorite character in the series is Harriet Oleson, portrayed by Katherine MacGregor. To prevent the story lines from becoming stale, it is crucial for every successful series to have a good villain. Along with her TV daughter Nellie, Harriet Oleson is without a doubt one of the most appealing villains in TV history. Week after week during the 1970s, Harriet Oleson (and her daughter Nellie) did everything possible to make the lives of the Ingalls family difficult.

At the end of each episode, however, it was the Ingalls family who inevitably endured and survived life's challenges due to their belief in God, community spirit, work ethic, and mutual love and devotion to one another.

My siblings and I watched "Little House on the Prairie" each and every Monday night while growing up in the 1970s. During my childhood, I recall that it was not considered "cool" to admit that you watched this program, although it was consistently a top-rated program during it's original run on NBC.

"Little House on the Prairie" is an American television classic that has endured the test of time. Belief in God, helping your fellow neighbor, a solid work ethic, and family values are all promoted by this outstanding program.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Heartwarming and inspiring view of frontier family life
roghache2 May 2006
Whether absolutely realistic or not, this is a wonderful and touching glimpse of rural Western family life in the 1800's. The series is based, albeit loosely, on the actual pioneer family tales of Laura Ingalls Wilder, whose Little House books I must confess to not having read.

The series chronicles the everyday experiences of the simple farming Ingalls family, who live near the Prairie village of Walnut Grove. The family consists of father Charles Ingalls, mother Caroline, and their three young daughters...Mary, Laura, and Carrie. Later the family is joined by baby daughter, Grace, an adopted son, Albert, and orphaned siblings, James & Cassandra. The viewer witnesses the growing up years of the Ingalls children. Mary learns to cope with blindness, later marries Adam (a teacher at the blind school), and suffers through the tragic death of her baby. Laura matures to take up teaching, weds sweetheart Almanzo Wilder, and becomes a mother to little daughter, Rose. Other Walnut Grove townsfolk are also regularly depicted, including the schoolteacher Miss Beadle (and later others), the parson Rev. Alden, the country doctor Dr. Baker, and the Olsens, who operate the local mercantile. Ingalls family friends, especially the Edwards and the Garveys, are included in some of the episodes.

The Olsen family members, chief rivals to the Ingalls, are especially cleverly depicted. Harriet, the snobbish, opinionated, buxom family matriarch, frequently receives her comeuppance, but by the next episode is unrepentantly as bad as ever! Her nasty daughter, Nellie, with her well orchestrated blonde curls, is one of the most deliciously evil villains in TV history. She is a constantly whiny, jealous, uppity, and conniving thorn in young Laura's side...the girl everyone loves to hate. Nellie's mischievous younger brother, Willie, sometimes aids & abets his sister in her various schemes to outshine, hoodwink, or humiliate the Ingalls girls. Rivals Laura and Nellie frequently duke it out in one form or another. Only the long-suffering Olsen patriarch, Nels, emerges as a decent and sympathetic personage, forced to cope patiently with the arrogant, unscrupulous antics of his other family members.

Years later Nellie grows into quite a reasonable young woman, who unexpectedly chooses a Jewish husband. The Olsen parents adopt Nancy, another girl with blonde curls and intended as a nasty little carbon copy of the younger Nellie. However, whereas Nellie was primarily a spoiled brat, Nancy seems downright hatefully dangerous.

The stories of the strong, loving Ingalls family and their neighbours are amusing or heart wrenching, sometimes a little of both. I'm always touched by the earlier episodes' heart to heart talks shared by sisters Mary & Laura in their little loft bedroom at the Ingalls farmhouse. I also enjoy the portrait of the small, friendly community of Walnut Grove and the assorted goings on at the one room schoolhouse, as viewed from both the perspective of the pupils and later the young novice teacher, Laura. The program at times tackles some difficult issues, such as gossip, racism, child abuse, adultery, murder, and drug addiction. A sense of faith in God and messages of kindness and integrity shine through even in the darker tales.

Family and village life are often viewed through the eyes of the middle daughter, Laura, the heroine of the piece. We are given a vivid portrait of her growing up years, as she blossoms from a dreamy, feisty schoolgirl to a lovely young woman, who finds her own fulfillment as a schoolteacher, wife, and mother. The series beautifully captures Laura's romance with the handsome, teasing young Almanzo (her 'Manley'), who always calls her Beth, her middle name. Her older sister, Mary's struggles in adjusting to her blindness are also moving, but the series is really Laura's story.

The acting is universally stellar, especially the wonderful late Michael Landon, who portrays the hard working, good natured father, Charles Ingalls. Other notables include Karren Grassle as the gentle, compassionate wife & mother, Caroline, Katherine MacGregor as the condescending & domineering Harriet Olsen, Victor French as rough around the edges Mr. Edwards, Dean Butler as Almanzo Wilder, and Lucy Lee Flippin as his spinster sister, Eliza Jane Wilder. The young actresses portraying the girls are brilliant for their years... Melissa Sue Anderson as the gentle Mary and Alison Arngrim as that nasty bit of goods, Nellie Olsen. Above all, the incredible child pro, Melissa Gilbert, sparkles as the empathetic young heroine, Laura.

This series provides surely one of the most brilliant ever TV portrayals of a touching father-daughter relationship, between Half Pint (Laura) and her Pa (Charles). Laura questions her Pa at times but always with love and respect. As for Charles, he's usually wise and patient, always has a twinkle in his eye and a good understanding of his young daughter. It's very moving to learn of the warm real life relationship enjoyed by the two stars, Michael Landon and Melissa Gilbert, and to read trivia tidbits as to how the mature actor could elicit tears from the child actress when called for by the script.

In terms of family viewing, the only other series in its category is the Waltons. The Little House characters are so familiar that they almost seem like family members. Far better this warm, wholesome, and uplifting show than The Simpsons, with its glorification of rude manners (and even worse programs these days). Little House makes excellent family viewing, a series infinitely re watchable in re runs. If only we had more TV programming of its quality and values nowadays!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Was one of my favourites
RoxyGirl7715 August 2003
When I was five years old my grandmother bought me the Little House book set, and for nearly a year my dad read me a chapter or two a night, until all the books had been read. I still love these books and every fall I re-discover them.

Although I loved the show I can't remember too many similarites between the books and the TV, other than some of the characters. In the books there were no Garveys, no Albert, no James and Cassandra BUT I understand that these characters were added to the show for an interesting cast. I liked the fact that they made Mrs. Oleson like her horrible daughter Nellie, but if you had read the books you would remember that Mrs. Oleson wasn't too bad, although I think she should've knocked some sense into Nellie. :-) Other characters that are left out of the show are Mary Power and Cap Garland (who was one of my favourites from the books). It would've been cool to see Nellie try to worm her way into Almanzo's heart like she did in the books. I don't remember a plot line like that. I do remember some woman that liked Almanzo in the TV show, and Laura humiliated her somehow, I think she didn't sew a dress properly and if fell of the woman? I can't remember clearly. I read in a biography that Willie went blind from a firecracker - that would've made a good story! I still loved the show though. My favourite episodes are when Laura steals the jewel box from Nellie, and she had the nightmares about jail, and when Nellie pretends to be crippled and Laura pushes her down a hill in her wheelchair. I remember the one where Carrie fell in the mine, that one made me cry.
At Long Last, DVD
juliafwilliams7 July 2003
Huzzah! The first set of DVDs of this most tantalizing program are on their way.

It goes without saying that Michael Landon was a major figure head in the television industry, starting with Bonanza, following with Little House on the Prairie, and culminating in Highway to Heaven. His legacy will live on forever.

The DVDs are released just short of the pearl (30th) anniversary of this great series.

Once again, Huzzah!
History Molded Into a Saga
acsmoviecritic27 July 2004
For a person who does not enjoy the soppy cries and heart warming tears of a soap opera or a drama, this thick, juicy, slab of saga is something a little over the edge for you.

But for those of us who do... its a winner. History glamorized, easier to look at, and made with morals and messages (too deep for some of us)just seems a bit more appealing. It's made for TV, so it is TV. Nice stories, good advice, and a good way to get your daily dose of endorphins. Little House on the Prairie is a crowd pleaser that any good natured soul could enjoy. I feel empowered just thinking about Michael Landon crying in nearly every episode, and I love it.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The perfect window view into the life in the 1800s.
ringling12319 October 2010
What can I say? I', an older 42 year old guy who basically can't stand all the new reality TV these days. It makes one really appreciate what a "real quality show is". Little House on the Prairie is an absolute classic TV series drama that was acted and directed completely by professionals. Moving episodes that made you laugh, cry, touched your heart and mind and kind of made one want to be a better person after watching. There aren't any TV shows that can do that these days(few exceptions). The characters, TV sets, music, and stories were all first rate. The morals of the stories were very clear and acted to perfection. (Talk about our old default TV shows!!). What I mean by default is that you the viewer were pretty much guaranteed to be entertained without fail with this TV show. One could hardly say that today with all the "crap" out there nowadays. You can clearly see this show was from a "different era" where honesty and integrity were at the core of the Mr. Landon's Values. Find this on DVD, keep it. An absolute "must" for any collector of the best of classic television shows. 10 out of 10
The TV Series is Excellent
Thayne Wheeler (kamokid)16 February 2007
The TV series and the actors were EXCELLENT. The stories portrayed all had value in them. I have always been able to find some golden nugget that I could take and apply to my own life or situations. I enjoyed following the Ingals through their trials, disappointments, joys, work ethic and on and on. I enjoyed these shows growing up and my kids enjoy them now. Why don't they have shows like that anymore? I wish that I could thank all those that worked on this TV series! Thank you Michael Landon, Karen Grassle, Melissa Gilbert, Melissa Anderson, Lindsey & Sidney Greenbush, Richard Bull, Scottie MacGregor, Victor French, and the many others (writers, camera people, producers, editors). Thank you for bringing such a great series into existence!
It kinda grows on you..
abluna lunara12 June 2001
When they first started rehashing these series on a Swedish channel back in the 80ies, I absolutely hated it! But, by now - being older, and "wiser", I´ve grown to appreciate these stories - even more - I quite love them by now! -

Strange, isn´t it, how your taste differs through the years?

Thank you Monica-5, for a full explanation on why and how The Little House is so good!..

I´ve grown to admire Michael Landon for being so diversified - acting, writing, directing - isn´t that great? And our dear Melissa Gilbert as "Laura" - she´s so perty in a nonAmerican

way... maybe that is why I love her so much! She was/is just such a good actor - like the rest of the crew!..

I just love to tease around & complain about old series - but "The Little House" has a strange way of getting me quiet and with my eyes flooded - It´s so heart-warmingly good!! I wish people were like that today...
I love "Little House"!
beth8125 March 1999
"Little House on the Prairie" is my favorite television series. Set in 1870's Walnut Grove, Minnesota, it follows the lives and adventures of the Ingalls family. "Little House" teaches lessons about life, laughter, and love, and has an incredible cast. It is loosely based on the very popular "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.