IMDb > "Amy Prentiss" (1974) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Amy Prentiss" More at IMDbPro »

Short But Really Good Series; Call it a Mini-Series

Author: spodso from United States
17 January 2017

Cagney and Lacy?! Jessica Walter easily acts better than those two. This series wasn't given a chance. Apparently in 1974 TV wasn't ready for a Female Chief of Detectives in a major city. This is one of many series that I thought was great but didn't last, and this one hardly lasted at all. He and She! East Side, West Side! They stuck with Seinfeld and look what happened. I'll fill this out so it has enough lines to be posted. I'll fill up the rest of the review to reach ten (10) lines. This is a test to see if IMDb actually looks or reviews any of their reviews. I think this is the tenth (10th) line so I'll see if it works. I goofed. This is the tenth (10th) line so maybe this will be posted. Why do you need 10 lines here but not in the other comment section?

Prime Suspect

Author: zeppo-2 from United Kingdom
8 September 2010

'Prime Suspect' is the title of the video I found this series on, this a cut down version of the first episode, 'Baptism of Fire.'

Any film or TV show has to have believability, no matter how far fetched but this show doesn't. Jessica Walter plays Amy Prentis, the new head of a San Francisco police department,she faces chauvinism and prejudice from the mostly male detectives and the press,plus a conniving city councillor. Trouble is, she doesn't seem tough enough or commanding in the role and just seems to wander from scene to scene while the actual cops do the work. So,it doesn't work for me and while the storyline isn't too bad, it could be any episode of Streets of San Francisco, Kojak, or any other generic cop show.

William Shatner in a guest spot as a obsessed cop, steals the acting honours,even with his over the top style,which actually works in this part.

In conclusion, I'm not too surprised the series only lasted for three episodes. Better female orientated detective shows are out there with Cagney & Lacey to name but one.