IMDb > Walking Tall (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

This must set a record

Author: mythical_meadow from Ottawa, Canada
1 October 2004

I don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but this film must set the record for misplaced "boom" or microphone intrusions into the visible frame. What kind of drugs were the crew on while making this movie? Didn't they notice these howlers during the daily rushes and editing of the movie? It happens so much throughout the film its really laughable, and certainly gives it a B movie feeling. However, there were A list actors in the movie.

Thats why this negligence seems so out of place. Anyway, I still enjoyed the movie, even though it seemed a little hokey, far fetched and simplistic.

Good, straightforward, violent entertainment.

I liked it

Author: bobsabins from United States
22 March 2005

I liked the movie so much that I copied them and they are in my personal collection. This country needs more men like Bufford Pusser, men that will back up what they say and to hell with the consequences. Basically, men that don't back down and have the guts to do the right thing. Unfortunately, there are not enough men in this country that will do that, because they are worried about "offending someone". They are worried about being "politically correct" I myself, have worn out the tape a few times and keep replacing it because when I lose faith in society, I watch Bufford in action and am relieved and hope more people will take an interest and stand up for themselves. It takes a big man to swing a stick like that.

White-exploitation defined!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
5 January 2005

Walking Tall (1973) is a classic example of white-exploitation flicks that were very popular during the 70's. Joe Don Baker stars as Buford Pusser, a former pro wrestler who comes back to his home town and finds how much it has change. One day he goes off with an old childhood friend who takes him to a mobile home casino. It's there he discovers how depraved the city and the surrounding area has become. Under the thumb of a local Southern Mob. After a terrible beating, Buford decides enough is enough and tries to make a difference.

Joe Don Baker is one bad dude and is perfect as Buford Pusser. The rest of the cast is adequate as well. This movie promises brutal bare fisted action and it delivers. A no holds barred type of flick. If you like this type of films then watching Walking Tall is a no brainer. Go out and get yourself a copy!

Highly recommended!

Stay away from the remake!

A little "Hollywood" to walk taller.

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
16 May 2001

When this flick about the now legendary Southern Lawman hit the screen in 1973 audiences were whooping and hollering. After it was revealed in various magazine articles ("People" for one) that some of it was "Hollywooded" viewers were sort of let down that the real Buford Pusser may not have Walked as Tall as depicted. That however doesn't take anything away from the film. Joe Don Baker turns in a top notch performance as the Hickory Stick wielding Southern Sheriff who cries havoc and lets slip the dogs of war on the State line mob only to pay a very hefty price for his victories. It airs now and then on cable channels but is edited here and there so rent or purchase it. Two sequels followed but the story by then was clearly running out of steam and this one is the best.

Great action flick if not entirely accurate...

Author: Killer_Bee from Memphis TN.
12 May 2000

Based on the story of Buford Pusser and the state line gang on the Tenn.-Miss. border in the mid 60's. Though the movie does diviate from the actual story, it does depict some of the actual events of the feud between Pusser and the so called "Dixie Mafia". Having grown up in the area and knowing a few of the people depicted, I have to say none of them were as glamourous as the actors that portrayed them. If you should find the movie interesting, Author W.R. Morris has written several excellent books on the life of Pusser and the State Line Gang.

A True Story Turned into A Great Movie

Author: garyldibert from United States
29 January 2007

This movie was the true story of the life of Buford Pusser who was a nobody who run for sheriff against Al Thurman the current sheriff and won. Joe Don Baker plays the role of Sheriff Buford Pusser, Elizabeth Hartman plays the role of his wife Pauline Pusser and Gene Evans plays the role of Sheriff Al Thurman. When Pussor is beaten to with in an inch in his life that's when he decides to run for Sheriff. Pussor did things different then Sheriff Thurman and the biggest thing was that he didn't have a ***. When Pussor starts to clean up the town the mob gets very upset and tries to get even with the sheriff. Does the mob go to far in their effort to stop the sheriff from interfering in their own personal business. Since there's no main actress in this picture, I can't give it 10 weasel stars but I can give 8 weasel stars.

Walking Tall blurs the lines between right and wrong

Author: threerandot from Canada
15 May 2012

I just watched this one tonight and I am appalled at how much praise has been laid upon the title character of Bufford Pusser. If these were indeed the kinds of actions taken by the subject of this film, then those are highly questionable ones.

The film is certainly well made, but it also seems to glorify violence as a way to solve a problem. Not that the answers to the problems of the town in the film easy ones.

In the process of fighting for a better life for the people, it was a war that in the end, was for not. So many die in this story, including Pusser's wife, not to mention the family pet, that they lose more than they could ever hope to gain.

Pusser's wife, played so well by Elizabeth Hartman, is really the only character who actually seemed to question her husband's actions and really exhibited any kind of intellect or thought to the possible results. If a thinking viewer is watching this film, they are going to question Pusser's actions and form the opinion that there could have been a better way then the easy way of resorting to violence.

Pusser uses a gun, torture and intimidation. The same methods used by the hoodlums to torture a naked girl. He is no better... a moral cripple.

And this seems to have been the American way for decades. That might makes right and that we are the "good guys". This is shameful behavior and to reward it as heroic is moral bankruptcy.

Baker is good as Pusser and the film keeps you glued to your seat. The only failure of the film is the lack of presenting an opposing viewpoint. That violence doesn't solve anything. Is the small town in this film all "perfect" today? The scene where Leif Garrett is sitting next to his father's hospital bed with a rifle in his lap was definitely a face palm moment. America continues to be a violent nation because it teaches their young that such actions are "heroic". A very sad commentary on a nation that could hold so much more promise.

A strong film that should really have elicited more controversy and criticism of the title character's actions.

Good story hampered by poor film making.

Author: magellan333 from Chattanooga, TN
18 April 2005

This film seems to enjoy a reputation as being memorable, but it could have easily been one of the great films of the 1970s. It has a good story, based on true events, a likable hero, good action, good actors and decent drama. What seems to hamper this film is poor sound quality and direction. It is obvious that attempts were made to capture quality sound because the boom mike is visible in several scenes through the film. There were times when a dramatic close up would have served the character well, but instead there is a wide shot while the character delivers his or her line. The camera seems to remain stationary a good deal when zooms and pans would have served the action and events well. I actually gained some respect for Jo Don Baker as an actor after seeing this movie. I had previously seen him in the awful mess called, "Mitchell". The movie seems to run a bit long too. I kept thinking it was about to wrap up, only to have a new series of events unfold. With a little better organization and thought, this could have easily been one of the best films of the 1970s. Unfortunately, the viewer gets a watchable film that will likely be remembered but not considered very memorable.

Buford, What a Man.

Author: Cyborg3k from Houston, TX
17 October 1999

Buford Pusser is a man that walks tall. He won't let a bunch of crooks take over his county, no-sir-ee.

Trouble is, while our hero is out fighting the good fight to rid his town of the evil pimps and gamblers and reefer-heads, he manages to leave a trail of blood and death wherever he goes. His wife, the rest of his family, his friends, and just anyone else who helps him are all murdered, or nearly so.

That's alright though. After all, you can't put a price on a real man's pride. Especially when others are the ones who pay it.

All But Forgotten

Author: B24 from Arizona
14 July 2003

In quick response to the imdb polls on the worst movie and why, I returned to a mantra I employed in 1973 to demonstrate my extreme aversion to this awful but apt example of manipulative cinema. I had been almost literally dragged to see it by a date from whom I later (and not one minute too soon) disengaged myself permanently. I can honestly say my apprehension based on having read the advance publicity was not only justified but exceeded tenfold. I still shudder to think about it.

Now that I have read over the few but truly excellent and informative comments posted here, I am confirmed in every particular about why I detested this movie and everything it portrayed in American life. It coincided with the beginning of a sordid bottom period in the social and intellectual history of the United States from which the nation has yet to recover. Irony, always in short supply in any case, died at the relentless bludgeoning of an audience all too happy to be so dealt with.

Page 4 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]