IMDb > Walking Tall (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Walking Tall

Walking Tall More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

...might want to check this out.

Author: drew_b_62 from United States
19 December 2005

The movie was so-so. I mean the story was blown a little out of proportion. Think about facts, he didn't defeat the State Line Gang. They murdered his wife, and blew up his home. There should have been a part devoted to the other side of the story...from the eyes of lets say, a bootlegger.

I think the band Drive By Truckers hit it right. "Now they're lined up around the block to see that movie and cryin' for his ambushed wife. Marveling about shot 8 times, stabbed seven. Some folks can't take a hint. they say he didn't take no crap from the State Line Gang, well what the h*** they talking' about? I'm just a hard working man with a family to feed and he made my daughter cry, I said he made my daughter cry."

Forget walking tall 2004 (the rock) watch this one instead

Author: quinn18 from N.B Canada
21 July 2005

Walking tall 2004 is only 80 minutes long and you have to quest you're self sometime in the movie for what happened.But this one is longer and more enjoyable and you don't have to guess what going on because it has more details in this on the remake.

I think that in this movie they didn't tell the real things about Bufford Pusser life.They change to many part of his life to put it in the movie. Example-Bufford Pusser studied law in the 40's at university and applied to be a police officer at a lot of stations but in the movie he just returns back home with his family and want to become the sheriff and i'm not going to tell you why because i don't want to spoil the movie for you if you already know what going to happen.

Even if they Skip a lot of parts about Buffor Pusser's life it doesn't mean its not a good movie.It is very interesting i think and anyone who didn't see should go see it.

Better than the Rocks

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
20 May 2004

After watching the newer version, I decided to compare. I loved walking tall when I was a kid. Remembered some of it, but a few years back I caught it on TBS late night. WOW did this film age well; nothing is better than a true story. My father, or someone I know says the movie is close too the books. Maybe that is why the story and film age well. Realism always lasts the test of time. I had to get some sleep and missed Walking Tall 2, but hope to cath it on TBS some time soon. Thank you TBS late night from all us insomnia suffers, nothing is worse than info commericals, or old re-runs. This movie is closer too the trues story so I give the new Walking Tall the old 2 by 4 and give the old version a 7 out of 10. I think the Rock could play a better bad guy.

Always good for a game of spot the boom-mic.

Author: Matt from Missouri
30 March 2002

Walking Tall lived up to every expectation I had for it, unfortunately for the filmmakers, those expectations were not too high to begin with. The story of Buford Pusser, a rural county sheriff in Tennessee, is too bizarre to believe. A point the filmmakers seem to acknowledge during the end credits by noting that certain events were fictionalized. But I shouldn't be too hard on this movie. It's violent, brutal, manipulative & simplistic. In other words, it's everything that a 70's exploitation flick is supposed to be. Bottom line: should be a good movie for a drinking game. Everytime Buford has an attempt made on his life (4) you do a shot. Everytime someone spots the boom-mic (8 times by my count) you do a shot. You get the picture. Happy drinking and enjoy the civil rights violations.

This must set a record

Author: mythical_meadow from Ottawa, Canada
1 October 2004

I don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but this film must set the record for misplaced "boom" or microphone intrusions into the visible frame. What kind of drugs were the crew on while making this movie? Didn't they notice these howlers during the daily rushes and editing of the movie? It happens so much throughout the film its really laughable, and certainly gives it a B movie feeling. However, there were A list actors in the movie.

Thats why this negligence seems so out of place. Anyway, I still enjoyed the movie, even though it seemed a little hokey, far fetched and simplistic.

Good, straightforward, violent entertainment.

I liked it

Author: bobsabins from United States
22 March 2005

I liked the movie so much that I copied them and they are in my personal collection. This country needs more men like Bufford Pusser, men that will back up what they say and to hell with the consequences. Basically, men that don't back down and have the guts to do the right thing. Unfortunately, there are not enough men in this country that will do that, because they are worried about "offending someone". They are worried about being "politically correct" I myself, have worn out the tape a few times and keep replacing it because when I lose faith in society, I watch Bufford in action and am relieved and hope more people will take an interest and stand up for themselves. It takes a big man to swing a stick like that.

White-exploitation defined!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
5 January 2005

Walking Tall (1973) is a classic example of white-exploitation flicks that were very popular during the 70's. Joe Don Baker stars as Buford Pusser, a former pro wrestler who comes back to his home town and finds how much it has change. One day he goes off with an old childhood friend who takes him to a mobile home casino. It's there he discovers how depraved the city and the surrounding area has become. Under the thumb of a local Southern Mob. After a terrible beating, Buford decides enough is enough and tries to make a difference.

Joe Don Baker is one bad dude and is perfect as Buford Pusser. The rest of the cast is adequate as well. This movie promises brutal bare fisted action and it delivers. A no holds barred type of flick. If you like this type of films then watching Walking Tall is a no brainer. Go out and get yourself a copy!

Highly recommended!

Stay away from the remake!

A little "Hollywood" to walk taller.

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
16 May 2001

When this flick about the now legendary Southern Lawman hit the screen in 1973 audiences were whooping and hollering. After it was revealed in various magazine articles ("People" for one) that some of it was "Hollywooded" viewers were sort of let down that the real Buford Pusser may not have Walked as Tall as depicted. That however doesn't take anything away from the film. Joe Don Baker turns in a top notch performance as the Hickory Stick wielding Southern Sheriff who cries havoc and lets slip the dogs of war on the State line mob only to pay a very hefty price for his victories. It airs now and then on cable channels but is edited here and there so rent or purchase it. Two sequels followed but the story by then was clearly running out of steam and this one is the best.

Great action flick if not entirely accurate...

Author: Killer_Bee from Memphis TN.
12 May 2000

Based on the story of Buford Pusser and the state line gang on the Tenn.-Miss. border in the mid 60's. Though the movie does diviate from the actual story, it does depict some of the actual events of the feud between Pusser and the so called "Dixie Mafia". Having grown up in the area and knowing a few of the people depicted, I have to say none of them were as glamourous as the actors that portrayed them. If you should find the movie interesting, Author W.R. Morris has written several excellent books on the life of Pusser and the State Line Gang.

A True Story Turned into A Great Movie

Author: garyldibert from United States
29 January 2007

This movie was the true story of the life of Buford Pusser who was a nobody who run for sheriff against Al Thurman the current sheriff and won. Joe Don Baker plays the role of Sheriff Buford Pusser, Elizabeth Hartman plays the role of his wife Pauline Pusser and Gene Evans plays the role of Sheriff Al Thurman. When Pussor is beaten to with in an inch in his life that's when he decides to run for Sheriff. Pussor did things different then Sheriff Thurman and the biggest thing was that he didn't have a ***. When Pussor starts to clean up the town the mob gets very upset and tries to get even with the sheriff. Does the mob go to far in their effort to stop the sheriff from interfering in their own personal business. Since there's no main actress in this picture, I can't give it 10 weasel stars but I can give 8 weasel stars.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]