IMDb > Walking Tall (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Now THIS is great filmmaking

Author: sjmcollins-1 from New Orleans
30 December 2003

(Some spoilers): "Walking Tall" is probably the most politically incorrect movie you will ever lay your eyes on, but you can't tear away from it if you tried. It's like a episode of "Dukes of Hazzard" directed by Brian DePalma or Quentin Tarentino. I just watched this for the first time, and some of the scenes blew me away. I particularly enjoyed 10 year old Leif Garrett walking through the crowded hospital with the shotgun, and then proceeding to load it front of a nurse, who smiled and nodded approvingly. And also the ending scene with the angry mob justice, burning the evil craps table and such. Joe Don Baker is great in the role of Buford Pusser (great freakin' name!), the ex-wrestler who goes from gently playing with his children to beating 12 men half to death with a bat in seconds. It's all portrayed in a flattering manner, however. I am now eagerly anticipating the remake with The Rock, just to see if they can come within a mile of doing some of the things they were able to back in the early 70's.

Good film and worth watching.

Author: stpnut from Christiansburg, VA
23 June 2003

My dad knew the real life Buford Pusser, and he said that most of the flick was fairly true to life. Based on that, the movie had a bigger impact on me knowing that a good deal of what was on screen was capable of happening in the real world and had in fact occurred. You can even go to a museum (I think in Gatlinburg, TN) and see the remains of his corvette.

For its time, powerful stuff

Author: ctomvelu from usa
26 January 2003

A raw-boned, low-budget, Hollywood-ized account of a small town sheriff battling rednecks and assorted villains in the Deep South. Today we know the real sheriff was not much like the stoic and heroic sheriff portrayed in the film, but it doesn't change the fact this flick was pretty powerful stuff in its time. The final shootout is pretty startling and the murder of the sheriff's wife proves a real tearjerker. The sequels and TV show were lame. They star a different actor (Bo Svensson) than the original (Joe Don Baker), and he is not half as good. A remake is reportedly in the works.

...might want to check this out.

Author: drew_b_62 from United States
19 December 2005

The movie was so-so. I mean the story was blown a little out of proportion. Think about facts, he didn't defeat the State Line Gang. They murdered his wife, and blew up his home. There should have been a part devoted to the other side of the story...from the eyes of lets say, a bootlegger.

I think the band Drive By Truckers hit it right. "Now they're lined up around the block to see that movie and cryin' for his ambushed wife. Marveling about shot 8 times, stabbed seven. Some folks can't take a hint. they say he didn't take no crap from the State Line Gang, well what the h*** they talking' about? I'm just a hard working man with a family to feed and he made my daughter cry, I said he made my daughter cry."

Forget walking tall 2004 (the rock) watch this one instead

Author: quinn18 from N.B Canada
21 July 2005

Walking tall 2004 is only 80 minutes long and you have to quest you're self sometime in the movie for what happened.But this one is longer and more enjoyable and you don't have to guess what going on because it has more details in this on the remake.

I think that in this movie they didn't tell the real things about Bufford Pusser life.They change to many part of his life to put it in the movie. Example-Bufford Pusser studied law in the 40's at university and applied to be a police officer at a lot of stations but in the movie he just returns back home with his family and want to become the sheriff and i'm not going to tell you why because i don't want to spoil the movie for you if you already know what going to happen.

Even if they Skip a lot of parts about Buffor Pusser's life it doesn't mean its not a good movie.It is very interesting i think and anyone who didn't see should go see it.

Better than the Rocks

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
20 May 2004

After watching the newer version, I decided to compare. I loved walking tall when I was a kid. Remembered some of it, but a few years back I caught it on TBS late night. WOW did this film age well; nothing is better than a true story. My father, or someone I know says the movie is close too the books. Maybe that is why the story and film age well. Realism always lasts the test of time. I had to get some sleep and missed Walking Tall 2, but hope to cath it on TBS some time soon. Thank you TBS late night from all us insomnia suffers, nothing is worse than info commericals, or old re-runs. This movie is closer too the trues story so I give the new Walking Tall the old 2 by 4 and give the old version a 7 out of 10. I think the Rock could play a better bad guy.

Always good for a game of spot the boom-mic.

Author: Matt from Missouri
30 March 2002

Walking Tall lived up to every expectation I had for it, unfortunately for the filmmakers, those expectations were not too high to begin with. The story of Buford Pusser, a rural county sheriff in Tennessee, is too bizarre to believe. A point the filmmakers seem to acknowledge during the end credits by noting that certain events were fictionalized. But I shouldn't be too hard on this movie. It's violent, brutal, manipulative & simplistic. In other words, it's everything that a 70's exploitation flick is supposed to be. Bottom line: should be a good movie for a drinking game. Everytime Buford has an attempt made on his life (4) you do a shot. Everytime someone spots the boom-mic (8 times by my count) you do a shot. You get the picture. Happy drinking and enjoy the civil rights violations.

This must set a record

Author: mythical_meadow from Ottawa, Canada
1 October 2004

I don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but this film must set the record for misplaced "boom" or microphone intrusions into the visible frame. What kind of drugs were the crew on while making this movie? Didn't they notice these howlers during the daily rushes and editing of the movie? It happens so much throughout the film its really laughable, and certainly gives it a B movie feeling. However, there were A list actors in the movie.

Thats why this negligence seems so out of place. Anyway, I still enjoyed the movie, even though it seemed a little hokey, far fetched and simplistic.

Good, straightforward, violent entertainment.

I liked it

Author: bobsabins from United States
22 March 2005

I liked the movie so much that I copied them and they are in my personal collection. This country needs more men like Bufford Pusser, men that will back up what they say and to hell with the consequences. Basically, men that don't back down and have the guts to do the right thing. Unfortunately, there are not enough men in this country that will do that, because they are worried about "offending someone". They are worried about being "politically correct" I myself, have worn out the tape a few times and keep replacing it because when I lose faith in society, I watch Bufford in action and am relieved and hope more people will take an interest and stand up for themselves. It takes a big man to swing a stick like that.

White-exploitation defined!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
5 January 2005

Walking Tall (1973) is a classic example of white-exploitation flicks that were very popular during the 70's. Joe Don Baker stars as Buford Pusser, a former pro wrestler who comes back to his home town and finds how much it has change. One day he goes off with an old childhood friend who takes him to a mobile home casino. It's there he discovers how depraved the city and the surrounding area has become. Under the thumb of a local Southern Mob. After a terrible beating, Buford decides enough is enough and tries to make a difference.

Joe Don Baker is one bad dude and is perfect as Buford Pusser. The rest of the cast is adequate as well. This movie promises brutal bare fisted action and it delivers. A no holds barred type of flick. If you like this type of films then watching Walking Tall is a no brainer. Go out and get yourself a copy!

Highly recommended!

Stay away from the remake!

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]