IMDb > Walking Tall (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Now THIS is great filmmaking

Author: sjmcollins-1 from New Orleans
30 December 2003

(Some spoilers): "Walking Tall" is probably the most politically incorrect movie you will ever lay your eyes on, but you can't tear away from it if you tried. It's like a episode of "Dukes of Hazzard" directed by Brian DePalma or Quentin Tarentino. I just watched this for the first time, and some of the scenes blew me away. I particularly enjoyed 10 year old Leif Garrett walking through the crowded hospital with the shotgun, and then proceeding to load it front of a nurse, who smiled and nodded approvingly. And also the ending scene with the angry mob justice, burning the evil craps table and such. Joe Don Baker is great in the role of Buford Pusser (great freakin' name!), the ex-wrestler who goes from gently playing with his children to beating 12 men half to death with a bat in seconds. It's all portrayed in a flattering manner, however. I am now eagerly anticipating the remake with The Rock, just to see if they can come within a mile of doing some of the things they were able to back in the early 70's.

Good film and worth watching.

Author: stpnut from Christiansburg, VA
23 June 2003

My dad knew the real life Buford Pusser, and he said that most of the flick was fairly true to life. Based on that, the movie had a bigger impact on me knowing that a good deal of what was on screen was capable of happening in the real world and had in fact occurred. You can even go to a museum (I think in Gatlinburg, TN) and see the remains of his corvette.

For its time, powerful stuff

Author: ctomvelu from usa
26 January 2003

A raw-boned, low-budget, Hollywood-ized account of a small town sheriff battling rednecks and assorted villains in the Deep South. Today we know the real sheriff was not much like the stoic and heroic sheriff portrayed in the film, but it doesn't change the fact this flick was pretty powerful stuff in its time. The final shootout is pretty startling and the murder of the sheriff's wife proves a real tearjerker. The sequels and TV show were lame. They star a different actor (Bo Svensson) than the original (Joe Don Baker), and he is not half as good. A remake is reportedly in the works.

Forget walking tall 2004 (the rock) watch this one instead

Author: quinn18 from N.B Canada
21 July 2005

Walking tall 2004 is only 80 minutes long and you have to quest you're self sometime in the movie for what happened.But this one is longer and more enjoyable and you don't have to guess what going on because it has more details in this on the remake.

I think that in this movie they didn't tell the real things about Bufford Pusser life.They change to many part of his life to put it in the movie. Example-Bufford Pusser studied law in the 40's at university and applied to be a police officer at a lot of stations but in the movie he just returns back home with his family and want to become the sheriff and i'm not going to tell you why because i don't want to spoil the movie for you if you already know what going to happen.

Even if they Skip a lot of parts about Buffor Pusser's life it doesn't mean its not a good movie.It is very interesting i think and anyone who didn't see should go see it.

This must set a record

Author: mythical_meadow from Ottawa, Canada
1 October 2004

I don't know if anyone else has commented on this, but this film must set the record for misplaced "boom" or microphone intrusions into the visible frame. What kind of drugs were the crew on while making this movie? Didn't they notice these howlers during the daily rushes and editing of the movie? It happens so much throughout the film its really laughable, and certainly gives it a B movie feeling. However, there were A list actors in the movie.

Thats why this negligence seems so out of place. Anyway, I still enjoyed the movie, even though it seemed a little hokey, far fetched and simplistic.

Good, straightforward, violent entertainment.

I liked it

Author: bobsabins from United States
22 March 2005

I liked the movie so much that I copied them and they are in my personal collection. This country needs more men like Bufford Pusser, men that will back up what they say and to hell with the consequences. Basically, men that don't back down and have the guts to do the right thing. Unfortunately, there are not enough men in this country that will do that, because they are worried about "offending someone". They are worried about being "politically correct" I myself, have worn out the tape a few times and keep replacing it because when I lose faith in society, I watch Bufford in action and am relieved and hope more people will take an interest and stand up for themselves. It takes a big man to swing a stick like that.

White-exploitation defined!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
5 January 2005

Walking Tall (1973) is a classic example of white-exploitation flicks that were very popular during the 70's. Joe Don Baker stars as Buford Pusser, a former pro wrestler who comes back to his home town and finds how much it has change. One day he goes off with an old childhood friend who takes him to a mobile home casino. It's there he discovers how depraved the city and the surrounding area has become. Under the thumb of a local Southern Mob. After a terrible beating, Buford decides enough is enough and tries to make a difference.

Joe Don Baker is one bad dude and is perfect as Buford Pusser. The rest of the cast is adequate as well. This movie promises brutal bare fisted action and it delivers. A no holds barred type of flick. If you like this type of films then watching Walking Tall is a no brainer. Go out and get yourself a copy!

Highly recommended!

Stay away from the remake!

A little "Hollywood" to walk taller.

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
16 May 2001

When this flick about the now legendary Southern Lawman hit the screen in 1973 audiences were whooping and hollering. After it was revealed in various magazine articles ("People" for one) that some of it was "Hollywooded" viewers were sort of let down that the real Buford Pusser may not have Walked as Tall as depicted. That however doesn't take anything away from the film. Joe Don Baker turns in a top notch performance as the Hickory Stick wielding Southern Sheriff who cries havoc and lets slip the dogs of war on the State line mob only to pay a very hefty price for his victories. It airs now and then on cable channels but is edited here and there so rent or purchase it. Two sequels followed but the story by then was clearly running out of steam and this one is the best.

Great action flick if not entirely accurate...

Author: Killer_Bee from Memphis TN.
12 May 2000

Based on the story of Buford Pusser and the state line gang on the Tenn.-Miss. border in the mid 60's. Though the movie does diviate from the actual story, it does depict some of the actual events of the feud between Pusser and the so called "Dixie Mafia". Having grown up in the area and knowing a few of the people depicted, I have to say none of them were as glamourous as the actors that portrayed them. If you should find the movie interesting, Author W.R. Morris has written several excellent books on the life of Pusser and the State Line Gang.

A True Story Turned into A Great Movie

Author: garyldibert from United States
29 January 2007

This movie was the true story of the life of Buford Pusser who was a nobody who run for sheriff against Al Thurman the current sheriff and won. Joe Don Baker plays the role of Sheriff Buford Pusser, Elizabeth Hartman plays the role of his wife Pauline Pusser and Gene Evans plays the role of Sheriff Al Thurman. When Pussor is beaten to with in an inch in his life that's when he decides to run for Sheriff. Pussor did things different then Sheriff Thurman and the biggest thing was that he didn't have a ***. When Pussor starts to clean up the town the mob gets very upset and tries to get even with the sheriff. Does the mob go to far in their effort to stop the sheriff from interfering in their own personal business. Since there's no main actress in this picture, I can't give it 10 weasel stars but I can give 8 weasel stars.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]