IMDb > Robin Hood (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Truly entertaining!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
26 February 2009

Robin Hood mayn't have the direct charm or the memorable songs of the later Disney movies, but it is solid entertainment nonetheless. The animation is generally lovely, if slightly archaic which is a style I kind of like, but the story sometimes fails to engage being fairly episodic but this is only occasionally. But the action highlight was the archery contest, which was so funny, as was the witty and delightful script. The songs are not as memorable as the ones in Beauty and the Beast, but they are still lovely. "Love" is a beautiful song, but my favourite was "Phony King of England" because of the funny lyrics. The only song I didn't like as such was the rather annoying song in the opening credits, which were a bit long. As for the characters, I loved the fact, the animators made the legendary characters animals. The best ones were Prince John and Sir Hiss, who were an absolutely hilarious double act, especially when Prince John sucks his thumb, the only villain to do that. Peter Ustinov and Terry Thomas were superb supplying the voice overs. Robin and Little John were also entertaining, as well as the Sheriff of Nottingham. Casting Phil Harris as Little John was genius, after his incredible voice-over as Baloo in the Jungle Book. I particularly loved the line "I'm Sir Reginald, duke of Chutney". I know in some scenes, they looked as though they were running out of ideas, but they weren't. They were just looking for a bit of inspiration. In conclusion, a really entertaining animation, that couldn't really live up to the Jungle Book. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Disney's very finest offering and one of the best movies of all-time

Author: literarycherub from United States
4 January 2009

Just saw this movie for the first time this year and rewatched it the other day. The first time I saw it, I thought it was utterly brilliant. The second time? Utterly brilliant. One of the few films that remains just as excellent on rewatch and possibly even gets better.

I'm shocked and disconcerted to hear it's considered by some to be one of the worst classic Disney films. If this movie is an really an example of Disney when it's being half-assed, then I wish it would half-ass its movies more often, because the result of their supposed insouciance is a wonderful, delightful, and perfect movie, an extremely charming, fun, and well-written interpretation of "Robin Hood".

I think one thing that seems to throw some people off about it is that it's not like any Disney movie that came before it. To me, that's part of what makes it so fantastic. Many of the jokes and scenes are ones I wouldn't expect to see from a Disney movie, and it seemed like this was the first Disney movie that wasn't afraid of taking a few risks with its characters, jokes, tone, structure, et cetera. And the risks they took with comedy stand the test of time; the jokes in this movie are not dated or forced in the slightest.

The lack of an overarching plot was another thing I love about the movie. It all flowed very well and sucked me into the world of Nottingham, as the narrative depicted a time period in the lives of the denizens. Instead of offering a formulaic, beginning-middle-end type of plot, it offered several episodes of different events in Nottingham, each intriguing and engaging.

These episodes also balanced each other out quite well in tone; we got to see both the carefree, down-to-earth moments and the darker plights of all the characters, making the whole movie feel very well-rounded and very real. It wasn't as if the movie portrayed everything in black-and-white. There were shades of happiness in the sadness, and it was great to see the characters sometimes be able to forget about their struggles for the time being and just live in the moment. The happy moments made me feel happy and free, and the sadder moments touched me. The emotion was handled in a very rare way: it was subtle and understated, executed perfectly, not overdone, not forced, and not unconvincing.

While this lighthearted yet dark, exciting, and yet down-to-earth tone and the sporadic structure were two things I really love about the movie, I think its strongest point lies in its characters. They were not cookie-cut-outs of their traditional roles and were subtly multifaceted. Robin Hood himself was not exactly a perfect Prince Charming, but yet was much more charming than any of the heroes that preceded him (and most of those who were his successors). He was engaging in every scene he was featured; he was funny, compassionate and selfless, intelligent and clever, jovial and fun despite his mission of great somberness, and is easily one of the most likable and quite admirable Disney heroes.

Maid Marian could have been typical in her role, but instead she still came off as quite unique, as she carried with her none of the usual melodrama and overreactions of most Disney female characters; she was instead genuinely lighthearted, caring, and kind-hearted, a perfect match for Robin Hood. Little John, while not shown as often as I'd like, served as a perfect foil for Robin Hood in the scenes he did have, was just a very entertaining character overall, and really was the one to save Robin Hood from Prince John...he was an overlooked hero, for sure, and his friendship with Robin was endearing.

Of course, Prince John and Hiss were hilarious. John's combination of being utterly insane, pathetic, spoiled, and at times just plain stupid made for an extremely funny and interesting character, and Hiss was a perfect counterpart for him. All the other characters--from the family of bunnies to Lady Cluck to the singing rooster to Friar Tuck to the sheriff--each had a discriminating personality all their own and all contributed something worthwhile to the film. It was definitely an ensemble film, completed with a greatly diversified and captivating ensemble of characters that play off each other wonderfully.

So, the only flaw I find in it is the one that's already been mentioned on here several times: the reused animation and choreography. That's not a major detriment at all though, and I really couldn't care less about it when the overall package of the movie was so spectacular. This movie just oozes with great spirit, camaraderie, fun, charm and delivers the very true and relevant message of the power of unity, hope, and love for one's fellow man in times of hardship. It's a pure joy to watch, my favorite Disney movie, and one of my favorite movies of all-time.

One of my favorite Robin Hood films

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
23 January 2008

There had been many film adaptations based on the famous tales of the English folk hero Robin Hood and his Merry Men since 1908; all of them very different too. It is difficult to choose which are my favorite Robin Hood films. But I would say I love Disney's version and "The Adventures of Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn.

You know something, Walt Disney's Robin Hood is perhaps the most famous animated version of the legend, which had the various characters depicted as anthropomorphic animal characters, including Robin Hood and Maid Marian as foxes; I love foxes. You know, this was probably the very first time that any studio would use anthropomorphic animal characters in an animated feature. I also love 3 out the songs from the film's soundtrack: "Oo-de-lally," "Love," and... "The Phony King of England." Overall, as I said I love this film and it's another Disney favorite; my dad's favorite too.

Oh no. He's got a dirty thumb....

Author: Xander Seavy (RiffRaffMcKinley) from United States
18 November 2007

One of Disney's best and most underrated classics (virtually second to none), "Robin Hood" is something every family should own.

Translating the characters from Howard Pyle's classic Nottingham Forest into the animal kingdom, Disney had its first true masterpiece over three decades after breaking into the full-length animated film business.

"Robin Hood"'s only failing is in the song "Love (It Seems Like Only Yesterday)," which is a typical, nauseating Disney romantic ballad. Otherwise, it features humor, music, animation, and storytelling that can ensnare fans of any age-- and I am living proof of this.

This movie truly is "Most Wanted." And snakes don't walk, they slither. Hmmph. So *there*.

Robin Hood

Author: CleoMarie from Roanoke, Va
21 November 2006

Walt Disney's Robin Hood is one of the only entirely animated Disney features I've seen that I can recall. I've enjoyed all of the Disney movies that I've seen, but this would be #1 on my list. The use of animals being all of the characters is very clever, considering that very few people would watch it other than to judge whether they like it or not. If you DON'T like this movie, give it away or donate it to a homeless shelter. If you DO like it, share it with other people that you think might like it. If you like this movie but don't have a copy of it, check around for places that do. So, rent or buy your copy of 'Robin Hood' ASAP.

My rating: 10 out of 10. ^_^ ^__^

An interesting film from the post-Walt era

Author: newkidontheblock from Nowheresville
8 June 2005

Disney's Robin Hood (1973) was the second film released after Uncle Walt's death (the first was the Jungle Book-1968). I've always liked this film for Different reasons. When I was younger, I liked it because, well...it was Disney. Everything Disney was right in my eyes. Robin Hood was one of my favorite films as a small child. Recently, I saw it again on television after not seeing it for a very long time. Now I have a whole new set of reasons for why I thoroughly enjoy this film.

Ken Anderson did something quite special with Robin Hood, he combined the elements of a traditional animated Disney feature with some creative ideas of his own.

One element of both Disney animated features and shorts where the use of animals instead of people where telling an unoriginal story. The story of Robin Hood had been told in many live-action movies (with Earl Flynn's performance still the standard). In the Disney film, the animators used the obvious choice of a fox for the role of Robin Hood. Maid Marian had to be a Vixen (because inter-species love is really weird). A bear was a good choice for Robin's right hand man, because as we all know, fat people make perfect sidekicks.

Another Disney tradition upheld was the great animation. Ever since Snow White, Disney has been the standard for great animation. Though other animation studios tried to duplicate Disney, they we're seldom successful. The animation in Robin Hood was no exception.

Robin Hood was also a very original film for Disney. The film started with a Rooster that sang folks song and was kind of a hippie. In most movies about Robin Hood he was kind of this God figure that was untouchable. In this one, Robin Hood was just a regular guy that only wanted to help his people out. He had his dreams and ambitions and faults like everyone else.

In closing, Robin Hood is a great family film. Children, teenagers, and adults can enjoy it. 8 out of 10 stars.

I just don't see it...

Author: callie-5 from Louisiana
5 October 2003

I saw this one in the theater when it was released and enjoyed it thoroughly as a kid. In the mid 80's, with the advent of cable and home satellite dishes, I was able to watch it again as a teen. Now as a mother of three, I see it as a parent...

I don't see what is merited in all the glowing comments.

I understand that this is a children's movie, made for children with them in mind, so little things like the Sheriff of Nottingham sounding like he hails from Alabama shouldn't be a big deal. I'll let the country music and dialects slide in a time period when there was no "New World".

The actors - Robin Hood was very well done. Of course Disney can Never go wrong with Phil Harris and Peter Ustinov was impeccable.

The animation - What was wrong with the animators when they were unable to create new drawings for the opening credits? Everything except the shots of Alan A Dale were taken from the actual movie itself. I don't recall any Disney movie having done that before or since.

Ever since I saw it again from a more mature perspective, this movie has always felt that, back in 1973, the Disney studios were on their last leg, artistically. What a shame it would be that 16 years would pass before they could recapture the magic they once had.

No flop

Author: Amenhotep X from Belgium
10 March 2003

Dull Disney flop? No way! One of my favourite Disney movies. It's different than the others, but that doesn't mean less good. I like everything about it, the characters and the story. I give it a 8 out of 10.

Great movie

Author: IceaFrost from Sweden
20 November 2002

I´ve seen nearly all the Disney movies and I have to say that this one is the best so far. It does not only have good voices, but great animation and interesting characters as well. Even though it has some errors it´s still a good movie and can be watched over and over again.

Ooh-de-lally! It's wonderful!

Author: Mirkwood_Elf from Mirkwood, Middle-earth
24 October 2002

This is one of my absolutely favorite Disney movies, and Prince John (voice by the fabulous Peter Ustinov) is my absolute favorite Disney character.

This movie is hilarious -- and there's just about nothing funnier than Prince John's evil laugh -- ah-ha...AH-ha!

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]