IMDb > Live and Let Die (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Live and Let Die

Live and Let Die More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 24: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Silly, but entertaining on the balance.

Author: franeyjarker from Des Moines, IA (USA)
7 January 2001

When watching this film many years after I saw it in the theater, I am compelled to step back and take an objective view. (WARNING: Possible Spoilers within the following text)

I had seen several Connery Bonds before this one was released in 1973 and was conditioned that "Connery IS 007." With that in mind, I expected to be disappointed when I went to see Moore's maiden voyage into the Bond world. I was pleasantly surprised at the time, but mainly due to the overall movie and not so much with Roger Moore. Although he did some decent movies later as 007, he DOES appear stiff in this one.

It is almost like watching a movie version of his THE SAINT TV series. That aside, I think it is an entertaining film. There is a mass-appeal flavor to it with the humor, although perhaps it gets distracting at times. (Like the "Hick" JW Pepper character as a southern sheriff. This should have been a one-shot only deal.) The boat chases are excellent, save for some major lapses of continuity throughout. The idea of putting James Bond in Harlem is rather humorous, and I have to give it to Moore on this one. Nobody could have stood out MORE than when he walks into the local "Soul Food" cafe to start his investigation. This series has always managed to give nods to current events, and it DID seem relevant that the heroin industry was booming at that time. The idea of Kananga (Yaphet Kotto) trying to achieve a monopoly on the market is no more far-reaching than Goldfinger for its time. There are some moments of painfully lousy acting (Gloria Hendry as Rosy is an example), but I think that this film keeps a decent pace overall. It's not the best in the series, but it is certainly one for your collection. Jane Seymour is stunning as Solitaire from a visual standpoint, Bernard Lee is his usual crusty M character, and Lois Maxwell is Moneypenny, which tells us it IS a real BOND film. (Why was Desmond Lewellyn missing as Q from this one is my only question.) This film is more of a sum of its parts, rather than one that has clear stars throughout. If you've missed it, it's worth a look. Rating: 7 out of 10

VooDoo Bond

Author: Ron-181 (rhall96319@aol.com) from Lake Butler, Florida
27 October 2000

Despite only one scene for "M" and Moneypenny and the total absence of Desmond Llewelyn as "Q", none the less this is a good Bond movie. 007 Is threatened with not only mundane guns but also poison snakes, alligators, crocodiles, sharks, and if that is not enough, a mechanical arm for good measure. The movie has some interesting characters and possibly the best boat chase scene in the annals of Hollywood, beautifully photographed in the Louisiana bayou's. The Paul McCartney title song sets the mood for this Roger Moore thriller. I rated this a 7. Good viewing for everyone.

Roger Moore`s first Bond-film is good.

Author: action-6 from Froland, Norway
4 April 2000

Sean Connery did his last Bondmovie with Diamonds Are Forever in 1971. In 1973 Roger Moore became the new James Bond with the release of Live and Let Die. Bond is sent to investigate Dr. Kananga, the president of an African Nation. Dr. Kananga plans to give away 2 tons of free heroin to the population in the USA. Roger Moore does a good role, but he doesn`t seeem to BE James Bond, yet. The action is good, the women are okay and there are plenty of exotic locations. 7/10

Decent debut

Author: Fredrik Rosengren (fred_rosengren@hotmail.com) from Stockholm, Sweden
6 February 2000

Playing Bond for the first time, Roger Moore makes a decent debut as James Bond. Moore was already an established actor when offered the role but it would take until "The Spy who Loved Me" before he was able to perfect the acting (the second best Bond movie).

Live and Let Die is not bad but it never really takes of. The cast is uneven, from very good Solitaire to very bad Rosie Carver to ridiculous Sheriff Pepper. Comment suggesting that this movie is racist are hard to understand. If the crook comes from Harlem and an Island inhabited by coloured persons, what else is to expect.

The story is odd for a Bond movie, he should help the world get rid of master villains (like Goldfinger)not get involved in stopping drug trafficking. Doest the Secret Service reallu do these things. As i said a decent debut. But things would get worse; the next film being "The Man with the Golden Gun"

The most funny and best Bond-movie ever made!

Author: peppard from Appingedam, Netherlands
23 January 2000

Live and let die was a very special Bond-movie, due to the introduction of the best Bond-actor so far, Roger Moore. He gave the character Bond a very special image; Bond became actually funny with Roger Moore. The introduction of sheriff J.W.Pepper(Clifton James) was also a very good move. It gave the movie a very funny twist. Too bad he only played in two Bond-movies. The only thing I dislike of the film is the missing of Desmond Llewelyn(Q), who died last year in a car-crash, my opinion is, that you can't make a good Bond-movie without Q and his gadgets. Jane Seymour also acted very good, for her first great role, that is. All in all was Live and let die a very good and funny Bond-movie!

Major Spoilers.....007 versus VOODOO guys

Author: LONE SOLO from Floyd Montana
26 December 1999

LIVE AND LET DIE is perhaps one of the best 007 movies ever made. The plot was somewhat of a refreshing change of pace. YAPHET KOTO plays a evil UN diplomat who embraces the criminal trades and voodoo black magic. Koto's hired lackey's have been bumping off secret agents left and right and it's up to 007 to foil their evil plan, and woo the beautiful JANE SEYMOUR at the same time. In the sequences involving VOODOO, it is my understanding ACTUAL voodoo priests were used. A interesting addition to this film was CLIFTON JAMES, as a backwards, redneck sherrif. (A role he would reprise in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN) The film jumps between NYC, NEW ORLEANS, and the "HATI-like" island used in the film's resolution. It was nice to see James Bond go up against someone who wasn't bent on world conquest (a plot device that has been run into the ground). If you haven't seen this one check it out. The boat chase on the bayou is worth it.

If You Can't Get Connery, Get This

Author: Ephraim Gadsby from USA
6 December 1999

James Bond is bigger than one actor. Connery established the role for most people, but on the short-list of those up for the part in "Dr. No" was a young actor with a growing body of work, Roger Moore.

Moore debuts in this role in "Live and Let Die" and the movie is an impressive addition to the series.

The Paul McCartney theme song is one of the series' best. Yaphet Kotto is a superb villain, cast at a time when Dr. King's vision of a world where people could be judged by the content of the character rather than the color of their skins still seemed a possibility. His villain is evil because of the content of his character. If Katanga has a problem, it's that he has too many good henchmen.

Moore may try to be too serious in this one, and for most of the movie he looks like he's suffering from heartburn. But he proved that another actor can be a legitimate Bond, and this outing, with its fine score, villain, and Jane Seymour, proves to be the best in the series after the first four of Connery's (anyone who has seen "You Only Live Twice" and "Diamonds are Forever" and still says Connery is the only choice for Bond is being partisan). It also gives another CIA operative with the best of the Felixes (David Hedison) in Harold Strutter, well played by Lon Satton.

Moore would make some more first-rate Bond adventures (and make a fool of himself in a few) in a role he determined, over more than a decade, to make his own. But this first one ranks with the best.

"Today's yo' lucky day, Jim!"

Author: Tony Perodeau from Sidney, Canada
4 December 1999

The cucumber-cool Roger Moore makes his debut as Bond and handles the often-corny dialogue better than any other 007 player in the series would have. You just love to groan at some of his bad puns. There's plenty of action and the motor vehicles, boats and 'planes don't exactly get returned in mint condition. The supporting cast is very entertaining, especially Yaphett Kotto, Geoffrey Holder (famous at the time for his 7-Up ads, like the 'Uncola Nuts' spot), Clifton James (peppery!), Julius "Tee Hee" Harris, and Arnold Williams (as a "Bonded Driver").

-Tony

The first Roger Moore Bond film and very good.

Author: Joe-290
25 October 1999

This movie is amazing. It was fabulous. The boat chase, the island surrounded by alligators. The action was very good too. The coffin that lifts up people and the tombstone plus the underground cave and the shark swimming pool. It was very good a movie. The bad guy was terrific and the Bond girl was beautiful but in this film out of all the Bond films 007 didn't have to do much to get the woman and seduce here. Besides that though it really is a great movie with some great and exotic locations.

Maybe the most perfect Bond-film!

Author: Mika Pykäläaho (bygis80@hotmail.com) from Järvenpää, Finland
1 September 1999

This is one of those rare movies that holds a special value to me. "Live and let die" is the very first James Bond film I've seen and even though the first time I saw it was over ten years ago the wonderful impression still remains. It was because of this movie I grew up to be the huge Bond-fan I am nowadays. "Live and let die" is full of thrilling chases, (I think more action than in any other Bond-movie) stylish humor, lots of different vehicles and incredible characters. Some of them are dark and maybe just a little bit scary, some of them are simply hilarious! (Well, check out J.W. Pepper) It's not hard to understand that I was stunned when I saw it as a little boy. Plot is exciting and even the enjoyable theme song is too perfect to be true. Only "Q" is missing... God I love this film! Of course I do think that the legendary Sean Connery was a better 007 than also quite fabulous Moore. There's always films like "Dr. No", "Goldfinger" and "Thunderball" so I don't (necessarily) think this is the best Bond-film of all times, but it will always be my personal number one favourite.