IMDb > Live and Let Die (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Live and Let Die

Live and Let Die More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 26: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Moore gets off to an impressive start....

Author: John M Upton from Southern England
12 July 2004

A million times better than the mess that was Diamonds are Forever, Live and Let Die does stumble a little with its attempt to cash in on the Blaxpolitation films of the time. Despite this, the characters are pretty well put together and a decent script keeps the action moving along at a good pace.

Some decent action sequences including probably one of the best speed boat chases of all time set off beautifully by the comedy relief of Sheriff J W Pepper "Did ya ever think about getting a drivers licence boy?!?" was off set by a remarkable performance from then newcomer Jane Seymour who more than earns her money here in a solid and well scripted performance.

Another decent John Barry soundtrack, David Hedison making his first of two appearances as what I feel to be the best of the many Felix Liters and Moore doing a good job first time out make this one of the best in the series.

To Die or Live?

Author: DarthBill from United States
16 April 2004

Roger Moore's first foray into the world of James Bond (he was actually considered for "Dr. No" but deemed to boyish at the time) has him tracking down the drug dealer Mr. Big (Yaphet Kotto) who was responsible for the murder of some of his fellow agents. Car chases, Southern sheriffs, men with fake arms, snakes and crocodiles abound. Bond also meets his first real virgin, Jane Seymour's character Solitaire.

This was probably the most serious of Roger's Bond films and he's okay if not exactly exceptional here. Jane Seymour isn't bad as the only official virgin that Bond has slept with, and since her character WAS a virgin I can forgive her not being like the usual batch of Bond girls.

The real eye candy though is Madeline Smith, an uncanny look alike to Lana Wood from "Diamonds Are Forever", in her small role in the opening as the beautiful Italian agent Miss Caruso. Yeah it's funny watching Bond unzip her dress with his magnet watch, but that's nothing compared to seeing her 5'5" body almost completely unclothed with only her frilly blue panties and a yellow robe to cover her. And yet she still has an odd innocence about her which only surfaces when Miss Moneypenny catches her almost completely naked and she desperately/silently asks Moneypenny to keep quiet so she can hide in the closet.

Roger Moore makes a good debut.

Author: TheSawIsFamily from BC, Canada
10 July 2003

Moore makes a good debut as Bond in this exciting chase filled film. The stunts are good, but the story is rather generic for a 007 adventure. Entertaining all the way through, especially the final half hour which takes us on a boat chase through the Bayous of Louissiana.

***1/2 out of *****

Best Roger Moore Bond.

Author: schauweckerpsx from Ore.
21 March 2003

This is my favorite Roger Moore Bond movie. It doesn't skimp on anything. It's fast-paced all the way. Which is something to be said since this was Roger Moore's first Bond movie. Great action sequences and characters,this is in my top three!

Not bad at all. . .

Author: Casey_Moriarty from Orange County, California
18 January 2003

This is one of Moore's best. Actually, of Moore's Bond films, only the Spy Who Loved Me and Octopussy are better. It introduces Moore, who is a great new Bond. It has some of the better villains in the series. Recommended. 7/10.

Three Bonds stand out

Author: Matt Grimsey from London UK
28 November 2002

And this is one of them - the other two are Licence to Kill and Die another Day, which I have already commented on.

For the record I do not have a problem with the Connery Bonds! Given their age they are generally consistant in their quality.

However this Bond has something about it. In one corner, you have James Bond, old Etonian, suave, fan of high culture etc etc(Moore empasised these traits).

This has to be the only Bond film I've ever seen in which the bad guys seem to have absolutely nothing in common with Bond. You've got the world's best known suave spy up against bad guys who've come out of another type of film entirely.

And despite this film being nearly 30 years old, this unusual combo definately works still.

Just WHY did Moore have to follow this up with Golden Gun???

Roger Moore's first outing as Bond a fast paced thrill ride

Author: Aaron1375
22 November 2002

Live and Let Die marks the end of Sean Connery's tenure as Bond and begins Roger Moore's reign as 007…the longest run of Bond films without interruption. George Lazenby would try to become Bond, but did not succeed and Connery came back one more time in one of his weakest Bond films, "Diamonds Are Forever". It was enjoyable, but they did a lot of things wrong in that one including having Bond in one of the worst sports coats in the history of the franchise. That film also did not quite feel like a Bond film. This one does and for me, marks a span of Bond films with the man whose Bond movies were the fastest paced and fun. Not saying they were all great or that there were not some bad moments, just saying when I see a Roger Moore film on I can tune in and watch it from beginning to end or just snippets here and there. While other Bond movies I have to be in a mood to see and rarely watch if I only catch it midway through. Perhaps, my fondness for Moore's Bond stems from the fact that when I was a kid he was James Bond. Sean Connery was long gone and when a Bond film was coming on or out it was Moore. His first outing as Bond sees the series go in some different directions. Gone is Spectra as the main opposing force, in is an island diplomat who has a nefarious scheme that does not involve ruling the world. Thus a new era begun.

The story has three British agents being killed. Bond is called in to see if there is connection between the killings and his trail leads him to New York where he is immediately targeted by a mysterious woman who seems to be able to tell the future. An island diplomat and New York's Mr. Big seem to have joined forces for some reason and it is up to Bond to find out what it is as he must go to the Caribbean and then to New Orleans to find out what is the secret of Kanaga's island. James will have to elude capture many times as he must escape Kananga's and Mr. Big's forces at every turn by car, bus, plane and boat!

Roger Moore got a much better start than Lazenby did which is probably why he was able to hold on to the role for so long. They just did so many things wrong with Lazenby by having him reference the fact he was a different guy, by making the film have a different feel than other Bond movies and also by having him thrown into the middle of Bond's battle with Spectra. Roger on the other hand never references 'the other guy', has a completely new villain and it plays more like a Bond film usually does. It also did not hurt Moore that Sean Connery's last outing was a bit weak itself. Still, they did some things in this one that were simply strange like having a priestess who could tell the future and the way Bond disposed of Kananga at the end was simply silly. For the most part though, things were done right and the movie would fly by for me.

So this one was a nice start for Roger Moore, whose Bond films for the most part can be watched in any order as there is usually a whole new plot each time. Granted, the Sheriff Pepper character would return for the next film, but one could still watch that one without seeing this one. One would probably wish that character was not in that film at all as here it made sense, in that one not so much. Yaphett Kotto made a rather good villain and he had lots of cool sidekicks like Tee Hee who had a claw for a hand, Whisper a quiet but strong henchman and Baron Samodin who laughed about as much as Tee Hee did. The action was good and featured a lot of nice chases and this film is the only Bond film I can recall where Bond uses a 44 magnum! Suffice to say, this Bond film was quite the blast!

#3 on my list of best Bond films

Author: Tommydevito from USA
19 November 2002

I watched all the Bond films in order from Dr.No to World is not Enough. After watching Diamonds Are Forever(worst Connery) I wasn't very excited to move into Roger Moore's films. A lot of people say he wasn't that good, and while I think he was good, he is no Sean Connery. Anyways, Live and Let Die did not disappoint me. I loved the boat sequence and the sherriff was hilarious. The only two I think are better are 1.Goldeneye

2.Goldfinger

Beware: Moore's next film Man With the Golden Gun is terrible and so is Moonraker.

Live and Let Die gets an 8/10

A fun movie to watch

Author: Marshall
13 November 2002

First of all, I have to say that this movie is an entertaining show. Although I wasn't incredibly wowed by Roger Moore at first, watching this movie is a lot of fun and the theme song is wonderful. In this movie, Bond is sent to investigate the deaths of three MI6 agents in Harlem, New Orleans, and San Monique. This sets him on the trail of drug lord Dr. Kananga, a madman ruler of San Monique who plans to start a major heroin operation. The scenes throughout the movie are wonderful, such as the classic boat chase (Which probably could have been a little better with some music) and the battle between Bond and Kananga. This film also features great villains such as Baron Samedi and Tee Hee and one of the best (and prettiest) Bond girls named Solitaire (Jane Seymour). Also, as if it really mattered, the Felix Leiter in this film is good too. All is well except for the incredibly annoying Sherriff J.W. Pepper (I hope I enjoy The Man with the Golden Gun, but bringing this guy back won't make it any better). Although my highest Bond recommendations are The Spy Who Loved Me and Goldeneye, I definitely think you ought to watch this. I give it 3 and a half stars out of 5.

The Deck was Slightly Stacked, but This hand was good!

Author: Josh (agentjoshw) from Pennsylvania
7 August 2002

My mission was simple. To watch all the Bond movies before the new one came out in the 2002 Christmas Movie season. Having watched two other actors (Sean Connery in the first five, then in "Diamonds are Forever" and George Lazenby in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" [under-rated performance]) I was a bit skeptic to critically judge Roger Moore's performance. Knowing that Moore was the producer's original choice for the role, He was dealt a winning hand.

Bond is sent to to the carribiean islands, New Orleans and NYC for this film on the trail of a heroin smuggler named Mr. Big (Yaphet Koppo, more recently known for "Homicide: Life on the Streets") and his fortune telling girl Solitaire (Jane Seymore from "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman).

This film is an instant Bond classic with all the makings of a good film for non-Bond followers. Great music Scored by George Martin of Beatles fame (Maybe he coerced Paul McCartney and Wings to do the theme?), a Villian we love to hate (Much like Ernst Stavro Blofeld), Exotic Locales (The Jamacia Islands, New Orleans [complete with Authentic funeral band] and the best city on the Planet, NYC, baby!), great acting and wonderful stunts (Who needs computer efx?) But the only downer was JW...He was too much.

All in all, Very good. I give it 8 stars of 10