IMDb > My Name Is Nobody (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il mio nome è Nessuno

My Name Is Nobody More at IMDbPro »Il mio nome è Nessuno (original title)

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A movie I could watch 100 times and it would never get old

Author: A. Squadrilli from Virginia, USA
28 September 2003

This is a great Tonino Valerii & Sergio Leone film featuring Henry Fonda & Terence Hill. This is a take on the Trinity character Hill has done in the past, not the same character but a variation of it. This movie is a lot more serious than the Trinity(s) but still provides some very very funny scenes & plenty of them. The more serious side is a great story, a man (Fonda) who is a living legend, especially in the eyes of a stranger (Hill) who will do everything he can to see his hero get written in the history books. It is adventurous, touching, and hysterical. All the elements of a perfect film for me. Also features an amazing soundtrack by none other than Ennio Morricone. Both the film & its score are gems. Worth watching over & over. A true 10!

The Good, the Bad and the Good looking

Author: viperpaolo from United States
1 March 2005

Great movie. From an idea of Sergio Leone, the guy from the good, bad and ugly trilogy. Terence hill is awesome. Fonda is himself. truly a great movie, in the best of the A-class spaghetti western tradition. Recommend for lovers of bud Spencer and Terence hill, but even more for lovers of Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone. the soundtrack is also fantastic. I found brilliant the way the director combined the lightheartedness of Hill and the stare-down gunfight angle of traditional Eastwood westerns. Also look for they called him trinity and sequel, also great movie, and those include bud Spencer. The movie is actually filmed in New Mexico, Acoma and surroundings, so the scenery is also fantastic. The original language is English, even though most of the cast is Italian, and both the Italian and English version are great. However, in the best spaghetti tradition I believe the Italian might capture some fine details better than the original. Ultimately I believe Terence Hill could have become a famous star of the caliber of Eastwood had he pursued that path instead of continuing the career as Bud Spencer's partner in crime.

great film

Author: kyle_furr
5 March 2004

I'm surprised i had never heard of this film before, i only got it because I'm a big fan of Henry Fonda. This movie reminds you of Once upon a time in the west and all the other spaghetti westerns but with a sense of humor and a great soundtrack. The movie stars out in 1899 with Henry Fonda playing a gunfighter named Jack Beauregard who just wants to get enough money so he can retire. Terence Hill plays another gunfighter named nobody who is obsessed with Beauregard. He's always following him around and wants him to fight the wild bunch, a group of 150 men, so he can be in the history books. This movie was produced by Serigo Leone and this was Henry Fonda's last western.

Works for me....

Author: sscrivener from Hemet, CA
23 October 2004

This is one of my favorite spaghetti westerns. Terrence Hill is very good as the brash newcomer, and Henry Fonda has always been good.... in this, he is excellent as the tired gunslinger who wants to hang it up.

The score by Ennio Morricone is outstanding.

The premise of the story is that Fonda, Jack Beauregard, wants to retire. He even has a berth on the ship "Sundowner," destination Australia, reserved. "Nobody," Hill, wants Beauregard to go out in style.... so he creates a showdown with the Wild Bunch: one man against 150 of the meanest SOBs in the West. The resolution of this conflict is.... interesting. ^_^

Nobody wants to be better than the best

Author: debrabander from Viane, Belgium
3 December 2004

When you have seen the film, you should notice that the plot is not about Nobody competing with Beauregard, but about the former wanting to become the biggest and fastest gunfighter of his time. In order to achieve this, he has set up a plan to kill the biggest gunfighter that exists, Jack Beauregard, but not before beefing up the latter's 'achievements'. Jack, wanting to retire, doesn't understand Nobody's fascination for him, and really doesn't want to compete with him. In the end Jack is tricked by Nobody in fighting his ultimate fight, alone against the 150 men strong Wild Bunch, turning him into a living legend. When Nobody then agrees with him (the scene necessarily missing from the film because the 'clou' is given at the end) to act as if he is 'killing' him in a much mediatised gunfight, he will no longer be known as Nobody but as 'the man that shot the living legend'. Following this, he therefore truly is the best gunfighter of them all, and Jack can retire because he is pronounced dead.

I have now seen 'My name is nobody' some ten times and for me it's the best film I've ever seen, mostly because of the fact that there is a perfect mix between humor and western, together with a perfect soundtrack and a very good picture of the West and its landscapes.

farewell-with-a-smile

Author: (winner55) from United States
27 July 2006

My name is Nobody has a very determined cult following who are absolutely convinced that this is a great film. I'm not sure I can agree to that, but there are certainly some wonderful moments in it.

The principle asset of the film is Henry Fonda, who seems to approach his role as the most graceful bow-out of his career as a leading-man in the cowboy genre.

The principle liability of the film is Terrence Hill, still dressed as Trinity, the cowboy bum of the My Name is Trinity comedies. I never understood the charm this actor has, since he seems to lack any depth, and can't even convince us that he's a "ne'er-do-well" - he just seems to be an actor playing a ne'er-do-well.

Fortunately, this film isn't written or directed by the "Trinity" crew; indeed, a major historical interest in the film revolves around exactly how much of it may have been written and directed by the great grand-daddy of Italian Western directors, Sergio Leone - a question which appears to be unresolved after considerable debate and research.

Well, perhaps that's not so important. Certainly Leone, as producer, managed to get the production of this film the resources it needed to achieve a truly professional polish - absolutely necessary for the rich imagery to provide the rather absurd plot a necessary credibility.

Insofar as the comedy depends an whole lot on Terrence Hill, I don't find it all that laugh-out-loud funny; but I do admit admiration for it's whimsical approach to material that could easily have produced a heavy-handed satire. instead, we get a light-hearted fantasy about the end of the cowboy film genre altogether - because certainly this film could never have been made in the era when audiences took cowboy movies seriously.

No, this is farewell to the genre - but not the brooding lament that we find in Leone's acknowledged classic, Once Upon a Time in the West. This is farewell-with-a-smile - "and don't forget to write!"

feel good movie

Author: CommanderVimes from muenster, germany
23 May 2004

I get a smile on my face everytime I watch this movie.

As I child I loved Terence Hill/ Bud Spencer, and especially Hill's solo western films. It's really funny, though not too short, and has some unforgettable moments (my favourite: Hill and the guy from the locomotive taking a piss - at least trying to...). It reminds very strongly of the work of Sergio Leone (who is mentioned in the opening credits) with it's look, characters and of course the music. The title track won't leave your ear quite soon, I promise! Henry Fonda is also very good in this, playing the tired hero very convincing and effectively.

I enjoy watching it everytime, so I can recommend it warmly! Avoid the second one, though, it's not as near as charming as this one!

Fun and also one of the weirdest movies of all time

Author: Stu-42 (stu42@cox.net) from Las Vegas
18 October 2002

I am a huge Leone fan and just had to see this one which I had never run across until now. I don't know if I got a hold of a bad copy or what- it looked legit from a real company, but kind of cheap. I wasn't sure what to make of it as I wasn't expecting a comedy and therefore was a little uncomfortable at first with its subtle humor and bizarre soundtrack from the awesome Morricone. I got more into it as it went along and like others have mentioned, the scene in the bar is a standout. All in all it was pretty fun with Fonda and Hill excellent, but perhaps because of the print or maybe the dubbing there were parts that were just plain weird- as if done by amateurs. Very strange and as such a big fan of the people involved I will look for a better copy and watch it again- perhaps on dvd when that comes out. Hopefully upon a second viewing I will have the same feeling that so many others seem to have had. Still, for the guy who said this is better than Once Upon a Time in the West- I'm afraid that's quite a stretch since I don't know if anything is that good.

Il Mio nome è Nessuno: A lavished Western-comedy

Author: latsblaster from Örebro, Sweden
20 June 2003

"Il Mio nome è Nessuno" might be one of the most lavished comedies ever. It isn't just funny, it has a good script and is overall ambitious. Even if it isn't Sergio Leone's best film, it is a movie with a personal touch (a thing you can find in the most of Leone´s work).

Terence Hill was funny in the Trinity-movies, here he has another role. Nobody is not as charming as Trinity, but still one of the big Leone-characters. Don't mix up "Il Mio nome è Nessuno" with the Trinity-movies, it is different from those, and more lavished (even if I also like those too).

Henry Fonda ... wow. He is just great. Even here. And what about Ennio Morricone's score? Superb might be the right word.

Do not see this as a B-movie or some crap, if you do so, you are way wrong.

Rating: 8 of 10.

It's like Leone Meets the Three Stooges

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
14 May 2005

- All that gunslinger Jack Beauregard (Henry Fonda) wants to do is retire while he's still alive. But Nobody (Terence Hill) wants to see Beauregard go out in blaze of glory. Nobody dogs him across the West insisting that if Beauregard will just face one more enemy, he's sure to go down in the annals of history. But Nobody's idea is for Beauregard to have it out with the 150 man strong Wild Bunch - all alone.

- The shortest and most to the point description that I can come up with for this movie is "Sergio Leone Meets the Three Stooges". On the one hand, you've got Henry Fonda in the traditional Western role (albeit Spaghetti Western). On the other hand, you've got Terence Hill performing some of the best slapstick and pantomime since the era of the silent film. It sounds like an unlikely combination, but Valerii successfully marries the two styles into a very enjoyable experience. The scenes with Fonda and Hill together are as good as you'll see in a Spaghetti Western.

- While some of Hill's comedy seems goofy and doesn't work that well, most of it is very funny. There are moments of pure genius. The shooting scene in the saloon is a particular favorite of mine.

- Morricone's score is amazing. He draws inspiration from and pays homage to some of the earlier scores he did. I was reminded several times of Once Upon a Time in the West, the Dollars Trilogy, and other Spaghetti Westerns. Writing positive comments on a Morricone score is becoming a bit redundant. Did he ever write a score that you could call bad?

- For those of us who have only seen My Name is Nobody on VHS with bad transfers and missing footage, the new Image DVD is a real treat. It was a lot like watching the movie for the first time. I never thought this movie could look so good. My only complaint is the lack of extras. The disc doesn't even have a trailer.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]