IMDb > Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gojira tai Megaro

Godzilla vs. Megalon More at IMDbPro »Gojira tai Megaro (original title)

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

How can a film so shoddy be so much fun?

Author: DrLenera
19 April 2004

Godzilla Vs Megalon is often regarded by Godzilla fans as the low point of the series. Indeed,in terms of conventional movie making,this is indeed a bad film. Stupid plot,zero characterisation,shoddy effects,awful music,you name it. There's even a brief bit where the actors stand still waiting for 'action'-obviously no one cared to edit this out. However,sometimes a bad film can be fun,and this is a case in point.

The film is so fast moving and action packed it's as if all the so-called 'dull'bits have been edited out. No slow build-up to the monsters here-the human part of the story is a constant series of vehicle chases,fights and kidnaps. The friendly flying robot Jet Jaguar has such a goofy charm that can't really dislike him,despite the shameless pandering to small kids,and Megalon and the previously seen Gigan really make a surreal pair of evil monsters. As with Godzilla Vs Gigan,the film is rife with footage from previous Godzilla films,but you have to almost admire the nerve in scenes like Megalon's attack on Tokyo,where all the exploding buildings are from the Ghidorah attack sequence in Ghidorah the Three Monster,the filmmakers almost getting away with it because Ghidorah's ray looks a bit like Megalon's. Oddly enough,the uncut version {many versions are badly cut} is surprisingly violent considering the target audience.

The phrase "so bad it's good"was made for this movie. Badly made in every way,and with no artistic merit whatsoever,but inspite of,or maybe even because of this,it's FUN!!!

Sora ni Hayaku, San na Taiyo, JET JAGUAR, JET JAGUAR......

Author: Angel Meiru
24 July 2004

Okay, okay, I admit, I have a guilty pleasure of watching this movie alot, with and without MST3K. Yeah, I have fun with G vs Megalon!

It is also one of the few Godzilla films to feature an Atlantis-like civilization in it as well. The civiliation lives beneath the sea, full of scantily claded dancers and their guardian monster is Megalon. They get upset at the surface world and summon Megalon, but things may not go as planned, due to two men, one hyperactive little boy, Jet Jaguar, and of course, Godzilla.

Sure, it may not be Akira Kurosawa, but it is alot of fun indeed.

My personal favorite Godzilla film!

Author: John Cassidy (ryuuseipro@comcast.net) from Richmond, VA
3 November 2004

Even though the original 1954 GODZILLA is an undeniable masterpiece, this film is my personal favorite Godzilla film! :)

I hold GODZILLA VS. MEGALON with aesthetic and sentimental value, not only because it was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw, but the very first movie Mom and the rest of my family took me to see! I had very hazy memories of being taken into the movie theater with lots of people, and I really enjoyed and cheered at seeing Godzilla and his super-robot pal Jet Jaguar fight with Megalon and Gigan on the screen.

But the ironic thing is that many fans considered this to be the worst Godzilla movie ever. They have a right to consider things that way, and I appreciate that this movie is not held in the highest regard in the Godzilla canon, but that doesn't change my opinion on it.

Many fans bitterly disliked the very idea of Godzilla teaming up with a superhero; In this case, the super-robot Jet Jaguar, who can change size. Jet Jaguar resembles both an Ultraman-style superhero (SPECTREMAN, JUMBORG ACE, etc.) and an anime super-robot from the 70s like MAZINGER Z (which was a huge success at the time), GETTER ROBO and other anime robots that got featured in Mattel's Shogun Warriors toy collection from the 70s (which also featured Godzilla and Rodan)! When I was a kid, I actually thought Jet Jaguar was a Shogun Warrior! Like the Shogun Warriors, Jet Jaguar was a major influence in my life - he got me into Japanese superheroes! He did the same "henshin" poses that many Japanese superheroes of the 70s (started by the famous KAMEN [MASKED] RIDER), and I later saw Shaw Brothers' KAMEN RIDER-influenced Hong Kong superhero spectacular, THE SUPER INFRAMAN (or just INFRA-MAN in the US), and I later became aware of Ultraman, Kamen Rider and many other superheroes later on. So for me, GODZILLA VS. MEGALON was the best of both worlds! I really loved the idea of Godzilla teaming up with a super-robot, and the two handshakes they did in the film are heartwarming, IMHO.

Besides Jet Jaguar, this film features a new Godzilla suit (Haruo Nakajima had just retired after GODZILLA VS. GIGAN, even though he tried on the new suit in behind the scenes films), and it has got to be the cutest Godzilla ever! I mean, just look at that puppy-dog face! It's like a demonic charcoal-gray Snoopy as if designed by Gou Nagai! It's one of my personal favorite suit designs. Megalon was a really cool monster! A flying rhino-beetle with drill arms! He shoots napalm grenades out of his mouth and also shoots electric beams from his horn (and when he does, it sometimes cuts to stock footage of King Ghidorah's Gravity Beams)! Gigan is back, though the costume is different from the one previously used in GODZILLA VS. GIGAN. The blue-green color is darker, and he looks somewhat thinner.

The special effects by Teruyoshi Nakano (who I had the pleasure of meeting at Asian Fantasy Film Expo 2002) are still really cool. The dam sequence with Megalon is praiseworthy! The rest is slam-bang action, on the same notch as any giant superhero show from the same period, even though Jet Jaguar doesn't shoot any beams! But if people hate Nakano's FX and slam them for being cheap, the ironic thing is that the effects took 6 months to complete! Riichirou Manabe's music score is much cheerier and more upbeat than his dark GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH score. His Godzilla theme music (the same as the one in Hedorah) is much tougher and less droopy than last time! The Seatopia music is pretty eerie and avant-garde, almost like Karlheinz Stockhausen music! The rest is groovy 70s music (flutes, guitar, banjo, horns, etc.), but another highlight is the theme song, "With Godzilla and Jet Jaguar, Punch Punch Punch!" ("Gojira to Jetto Jagaa de Panchi Panchi Panchi!"), which was sung by my favorite Japanese singer, Masato Shimon, who not only sang tons of tokusatsu and anime theme songs since the 70s, but also sang some Godzilla tie-in albums! If you liked the song, I recommend the full record version (in stereo)! That one is totally more upbeat and just rocks! It's also one of my favorite Shimon songs!

The cast is quite different and unusual from any Godzilla film made before or since. In this one case, there are no females among the lead characters (unless you count the Seatopian dancers), but they are still likable in that bizarre sort of way (and you can tell that this end of the production was rushed)! Katsuhiko Sasaki (who's new to the series, but his father Minoru Chiaki played pilot Kouji Kobayashi in GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN) plays inventor Gorou Ibuki, who invents Jet Jaguar. His kid brother Rokuro (nicknamed "Roku-chan"), for children to identify with, is played by Hiroyuki Kawase (who played Ken Yano in GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH two years earlier) wearing a red Snoopy sweater (yep, there I go with the Snoopy thing again)! Yutaka Hayashi (best known these days as a comical, fast-talking reporter in comedy and variety shows in Japan) plays the Ibuki siblings' hot-rodding friend Hiroshi Jinkawa, who gets into all the car-chases with the bad guys! Then, there's the late veteran Robert Dunham as Antonio, the Emperor of Seatopia, clad in a white toga and a tiara with Megalon's head on the center. Every time I think of Antonio and Seatopia, I keep thinking of Sean Connery's movie ZARDOZ (made the same year)! It must be the neo-Olympic/Greek style that Seatopia has. Rolf Jessup (who has appeared in some Japanese films) appears as his right-hand man radio operator in a white uniform. Koutarou Tomita plays the Seatopian agent dressed in black (and looks a lot like Alan Rickman's Snape character in the Harry Potter movies), backed by Wolf Ootsuki (who played the villain Professor Hassler in the Ishinomori/Toei TV series GIANT IRONMAN 1-7) playing agent dressed in brown. And Kanta Mori (who guest-starred as Professor Nakamura in Episode 10 of ULTRAMAN, which, ironically, guest-starred Godzilla as Jirass!) plays the JSDF General (every Godzilla movie's gotta' have 'em).

As for the plot, here's the breakdown: After underwater nuclear tests in the Pacific shake up many islands (including Monster Island), Emperor Antonio, the ruler of the undersea kingdom of Seatopia retaliates by sending their giant guardian beetle Megalon to destroy the surface world. He also dispatches two agents to steal the new super-robot Jet Jaguar from Professor Gorou Ibuki and his kid brother Rokurou (whom they also capture). They're being rescued by their friend Hiroshi Jinkawa, who goes through action-packed car-chases to rescue them, which he does. Once rescued, Gorou manages to regain control of Jet Jaguar, and sends him to Monster Island to call Godzilla for help. In response to this, Antonio calls for Star Hunter Nebula M to send Gigan to Earth to assist Megalon. Jet Jaguar grows to Godzilla-size and fights with Megalon, but Gigan finally comes and makes things hard for our robot hero. But Godzilla arrives in time to help Jet Jaguar beat Megalon and Gigan in a slam-bang tag-team monster match to save humankind . . .

I don't know about everyone else, but GODZILLA VS. MEGALON deserves more respect than it's getting in the US (In Japan, it's always been released with a beautifully restored widescreen print, regardless of what fans and others think). t has a very special place in my heart! I don't recommend it to the most serious Godzilla fans, but even some Godzilla fans still like it, if not love it. But if you like monsters, superheroes and robots, then I highly recommend GODZILLA VS. MEGALON! Still my favorite Godzilla film!

Much better than Godzilla vs Gigan

Author: jerekra from United States
25 August 2008

Upon looking at my rating of Godzilla vs Megalon you may think that I do not think that this movie is very good. That could not be farther from the truth. THere are great parts in this film. However there are also some parts that make me scratch my head.

This time an evil group of humans who live under the ground called Seatopians are after revenge. They have had enough of nuclear testing that has affected their society. So they send out their Giant Guardian monster Megalon, giant beetle with drill bit hands, to destroy mankind. Also they send men after a robot called jet jaguar that was created by a guy named Goro to use as a guide to lead Megalon to Japan. After stealing Jet Jaguar Goro gets him back and sends Jet Jaguar to monster island to get Godzilla. THe seatopians contact nebula m. space hunter to send for Gigan to set up for a great tag team battle.

There are a lot of things that cause me to scratch my head. First of all Megalon is quite confusing. He is a giant insect but has 4 limbs? He looks OK and has a good roar, but there is something missing. There are times when you can tell that nobody is inside of the Megalon costume. Also Megalon seems to be better at hitting himself with his napalm bombs than his opponents.

Gigan is back. It is good to see him again and this is the last time you see him until Final Wars. Gigan and Megalon make for a much better tag team duo than Ghidorah and Gigan due to the fact that Ghidorah is such a devastating force by himself and the fact that he would need a teammate is ridiculous.

Unlike the last godzilla film, Godzilla vs Gigan, the fight scene in this film is well done. This is how a tag team battle should go. There is lots of action and not any times where you have to wait for something to happen. However this is one of the few times where Godzilla gets no resistance from his foes and seemingly could have beaten his foes without jet jaguar. Overall a great fight though in terms of action.

Stock Footage is used again. Yeagh if you read my previous reviews you can probably tell how I feel towards Stock Footage. However in this film they mainly only use it for destruction scenes. There are a few times where Gigan falls down onto a bridge, taken from Godzilla vs Gigan, despite the fact that the monsters are fighting in the middle of a plain.

Godzilla shows up a little late in this film. Jet Jaguar in many ways is the main character of this film, leading me to view this one more like an episode of Ultra Man or ZOne Fighter. However I would rather Godzilla show up for a little bit of new footage than to just watch recycled footage of him from previous films.

This film is a comedy though. The way that the fight goes on can not be taken serious at all. This is the film in which Godzilla glides on his tail to kick Megalon right in the chest. A great move that makes me laugh my ass off every time I see it.

Jet Jaguar used to bug me more than he does now. However, how in the hell did he come up with the ability to grow to the size of Godzilla? When he does this during the film his creator mearly goes "Oh wow. He grew to the size of Godzilla, I did not know he could do that." I guess if I made a robot and he grew to be the size of Godzilla I would react differently.

There are a lot of cheesy lines, flaws in physics, and some stock footage. However this is definitely better than Godzilla vs Gigan and i recommend it. IT may not be great but at least it is fun and sometimes that is all that matters.

Can't rate this masterpiece of amateurish film-technique

Author: (winner55) from United States
12 October 2006

This is the funniest single entry into the Godzilla series. It is so incredibly bad, that there is not a single scene that doesn't have at least a chuckle or two; and many that have slap-your-knee hilarity to them - all unintentional.

The director, Jun Fukoda, was no stranger to the Godzilla series, and had already demonstrated that he could deliver a solidly competent B-movie. But this ain't one of those; and it's hard to say where Fukoda's head was at when he made this film.

We see actors miss their cues; we see strings lifting "flying" monsters; we have a robot with an idiotic smile painted on his face; we have a theme song popping up at the end that is only a parody of a pop-music movie theme. We have an annoying little kid actor that can't act. We have a cheesy giant cock-roach rubber suit flopping about crushing buildings, and then running from Godzilla with the gate of an old woman. We have the magic words that bring Megalon to life: "Rise up Megalon! Hey, get up!" while nymphettes do a veil dance. we have a background music that sounds like easy listening played at twice the tempo. Obvious stock footage from previous Godzilla films get inter-cut in the fight scenes. We have a special guest appearance from Gigan, called in (no showing or explanation how) from a galaxy called "Space Hunter M" Now, what wit could actually come up with that as the name of galaxy? Really, you must see this film at least once in your life; and if you don't see the humor in it that one time, see it again, because it will dawn on you like the blast of a heat-ray that, yeah, this film really does make NO sense whatsoever! Obviously made in two days by a group of brainy grammar-school students who happen to be drunk. One couldn't make a parody of the Godzilla films as funny as this; yet, incredibly, there's no sign that this was not intended to be taken seriously.

But we don't have to take it seriously just because it was intended that way. And taken as a comedy, it's just grand!

Silly Sci. Fi. Fans Choose Godzilla. Even John Belushi

Author: happipuppi13 from Phx. Arizona ("Arizona Smells Funny"!- Homer Simpson)
12 August 2005

"Godzilla Vs. Megalon":

This film was released in America about 2 or 3 years after it's Asian release. My two brothers and I went and saw it in our local small town theater. We had a ball watching Jet Jaguar come to life and then grow into a giant! We enjoyed the fight scenes (like any average little boy). We got excited when Godzilla showed up up to defeat the monsters sent from the city beneath the ocean and we laughed our heads off when he got a running start,slid on his tail and jammed his big clawed feet into one of them!

I say these things because,if anyone expected the film to be "spectacular" and have "great special effects",then they have obviously never watched a Godzilla movie too closely or ever. It was just fun,period. Especially when in October of 1978,John Belushi,dressed in a Godzilla costume,introduced the film on NBC before it's start!

So,whether you want to go back to younger days or just watch something silly,this is a good movie. 5 stars is the "mature" thing to say,for simple fun,I'd gladly give it 10! (END)

Controlled

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
22 November 2006

This stuff is fascinating, all this old science fiction. If you dig around in the US stuff from the 50s, you get noir. The fundamental noir notion is that there is some agency that controls fate, that is somehow apart from the world in which the film operates.

Typical noir has some average bumpkin caught up in some apparent accident that compounds with other accidents to create a situation that amuses us in some way (or we wouldn't be watching). Clever noir, implies that the very act of us watching somehow drives or empowers this agent of fate: that the very fact that we are there ready to watch is what puts our hero in harm's way.

Its an American invention, unique to film, and incredibly clever in the way it appropriates religion, making us gods merely by being entertained. In 50s America Science fiction, the monster kind, I mean (which includes the later Frankensteins and Draculas), that notion of fate is merged with science. So we have radiation (usually) creating monsters that threaten, but in a noir-like fashion.

It puts us in a dual state as watchers, identifying with the victims, but allied with the cause, especially when its in 3D.

But the US model is almost always that science is beyond our control. If humanity wins, it is an accident, or temporary. Or plain luck.

The Japanese model of this same period has humans in control. They don't have scientists in the American sense, rather the Japanese experts are engineers. Its not a subtle difference: these guys actually design and control where their American counterparts understand. (If its not clear, you can be a good engineer without a deep understanding, in fact that usually the case.)

This is a junky movie, but almost perfect as an example of the genre. Almost the very best of its kind. Its n two halves. One half, the latter, is a gigantic battle. It starts between a robot controlled by submarine human geniuses and one controlled by human geniuses. Engineering geniuses that is. Its a standoff. The underwater guys call up a monster that we know from other movies to be radiation-caused but is under their control. Oh oh, looks bad for humanity.

But "our" robot calls in Godzilla, who kicks ass. Godzilla, star of many previous movies is now protector of humanity because he somehow speaks the same language as our robot. These four monsters fight, but on behalf of their humans.

The other half of the movie is the necessary bumph that introduces characters, individuals we can follow and watch them at risk. Contrast them with their American counterparts. Understanding versus control. Its amazing to watch because it as different in its world than any we'll see in sci-fi. This "clash of cultures" peaked in the eighties as an almost open war.

Why go through all this? Because if I as an American want to enter the worlds of Kurosawa and Oshima, you have to be here as well.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.

This movie was made for fun.

Author: Neochriszilla from Norfolk, Virginia
12 April 2004

Monsters, car chases, Seatopians, oh my! This is Godzilla Vs. Megalon, and this movie is real fun. Jun Fukuda(Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster, Godzilla Vs. Gigan)directed this one and he does a great job. Riichiro Manabe(Godzilla Vs. Hedorah)'s score is very dated yet that only adds fun to this one. The actors do an OK job, yet the script they follow is very corny. The suits all look original, except for Gigan's, his looks stupid compared to the miraculous one used in Godzilla Vs. Gigan. The buzzsaw on his chest is immobile! Jet Jaguar is great and he really adds flavor to this film. Godzilla's suit has been VERY toned down from the one used in the previous 2 Godzilla movies and it looks very childish. Megalon's suit is incredible and elements of it would be recycled into King Seesar's suit in Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla. Anguirus makes a brief cameo at the beginning and his costume's fangs have been removed. Rodan appears as well at the beginning, but only as stock footage from Destroy All Monsters. There is a TON of stock fotage used from previous Toho Science Fiction movies, espically from Godzilla Vs. Gigan and Destroy All Monsters. This movie was filmed in one week and it shows for the film seems very rushed. The movie altogether was done in a month, and was only released 6 months after Godzilla Vs. Gigan. All in all, this is a very watchable movie. Many fans call it the worst Godzilla movie ever made and I can see why. But they're just people who agree with fairweather fans. Me? I love it. Advertisement: GODZILLA VS. MEGALON!!! See! The robot Jet Jaguar! See! Godzilla battling Megalon and Gigan! See! The Seatopians' plan to rule the world in... GODZILLA VS. MEGALON!!!!

Tag team monster action

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
8 May 2007

The plot of a movie like Godzilla vs. Megalon hardly matters. The movie follows the same basic premise that most of these Toho monster mashes follow – A monster, for whatever reason, poses a threat to humanity. Godzilla is summoned from Monster Island to provide assistance in defeating the monster. The End. That's basically what you get here – Godzilla doing battle with Megalon with the fate of the world in the balance. Megalon, the giant beetle-like creature with giant rotating drill-like arms capable of spiting bombs, is joined by Gigan, a giant chicken-like creature with incredibly sharp talon-like arms. Fortunately for Godzilla (and all of mankind), he also has an ally – Jet Jaguar, a giant Ultraman style robot. It no-holds barred action as these behemoths do battle!

If you don't take this stuff too seriously, Godzilla vs. Megalon can be quite a bit of fun. There's enough interesting "filler" going on before the monsters do battle to make even the "boring" parts reasonably entertaining. As with most Toho films, this one includes some really nice miniature work. The scenes of Megalon destroying the dam are very nicely done. As an added bonus, Godzilla vs. Megalon features a few unexpected surreal moments involving the inhabitants of Seatopia. I wasn't quite prepared for a dance number in the middle of my Godzilla movie. And to top things off, the leader of the Seatopians looks like some sort of extra from a Bob Fosse movie. Bizarre!

Cheeeeeeeeeesyyyyyyyyy...but that's why it's fun!

Author: p-offutt from United States
26 February 2007

Where to begin??? This is one of the more obscure entries in the ginormous Godzilla franchise, and one of the campier, cheesier ones, so it's not too popular among serious fans. I'm a minor or medium fan, so that doesn't apply to me, really. Godzilla vs. Megalon actually is one of my personal favs. But before launching into it, the back story about how I found this movie...I was at the Salvation Army, looking around. I really hadn't found anything, and was looking through the last of the videos and at the very end: Godzilla vs. Megalon was there! I'd heard about it online the day before (it's apparently Dav Pilkey's favorite movie) and I thought, why not. So. Here's the plot. There's a nifty little intro about a nuke test (according to the narrator it's "on a small island near the Allusions" (I don't know where that is or even if I heard him right)) that disturbs life on Monster Island. We then see our main characters: an inventor, his happy-go-lucky buddy, and an annoying kid the English dialog calls "Roxanne." They witness an earthquake and then drive off in a speedy car, accompanied by the world's most obnoxious music. They get home and are beat up by Bluto and Oscar Wilde look-a-likes who broke in. After some pointless stuff involving red sand and a car chase with more weird music, the inventor finishes his latest creation: a goofy grinning robot called Jet Jaguar. The burglars break in again and take control of JJ and send him to a field. It turns out they are in league with the evil Seatopians. Their monster, Megalon, comes and is led to Tokyo by JJ, where he wrecks stuff. The inventor regains control of JJ and sends him to get Godzilla. JJ then returns and fights Megalon. Gigan comes and he and Megalon kick the crud out of JJ. Godzilla comes, wins, and we wrap up the movie with a goofy "Jetto Jaga" theme song. Well, that covers it. Enjoy, but grab a pillow just in case.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]