IMDb > Don't Play Us Cheap (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Don't Play Us Cheap More at IMDbPro »

The best of the Bizzare

Author: lordticklish from Montucky
26 August 2002

Wow what an odd film. This is one of those films that only a mother could love. And then 30 years later a whole new audience sees it. What may have looked too strange then can now be seen with new eyes. This movie is thick. The colors and aesthetic,the textures and flow are so different from other movies that if you watch it like you would another movie you might miss it. Watch this movie without any of your existing experience filters and let it present itself to you and then you might see the genius of it. That's all I have to say.

Great Film

Author: tomadeek29 from Detroit, Mich
22 November 2005

If you enjoy avant-garde films and/or cult and/or low budget black (afro-american)comedy, then you are probably already a fan of Melvin Van Peebles. I love telling people about this film because it's so simple yet profound and a whole lot of fun! It feels like this film was originally a stage play cause it all takes place in one flat. The music is bluesy, gospel and folk and yes chile it's low budget, but that's the point. It's great to see black actors like Mabel King and Esther Rolle doing work that you can tell they actually enjoyed doing for a change!!!! Not only did Melvin Van Peebles write the script, but he also composed all of the music. With the exception of Esther Rolle the cast has great, soulful voices, but even the monotoned throaty voice of Rolle adds great character to the film. It's the rawness and honesty of this movie that makes it so great...Besides I'm sure Miss Rolle knows she can't sing!

Amazing

Author: edithisaok580 from Baton Rouge, Louisiana
20 August 2005

This film was a great commentary on the contrast of human values, especially the characters and their personal aspirations. It reminds us not to take everything about our lives so seriously and that all too often, some of the best things can come in the smallest of packages.It was nice to see Florida and Evilene act out different roles other than their showcased parts. The best part of the film was the crazy music. You can tell that the cast members had a really fun time. It's no Broadway legend, but it's cheesiness and its simplicity are sure to catch your eye. I caught it on BET Starz and I never forgot it. It makes me wish that people still had such house parties! Enjoy!

Melvin Van Peebles' Don't Play Us Cheap may play its beats like a sledgehammer but don't let that deter you

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
31 May 2014

After months of this being listed as "long wait" on Netflix, I finally got the disc of this movie from them just today. It was the fact this was Melvin Van Peebles' follow-up to his hit Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song that got me wanting to watch this as well as the fact it was originally a stage musical he wrote. What a thrill to see future TV stars like Esther "Good Times" Rolle and Mabel "What's Happening?!" King here though my favorite of the singing cast was Joshie Armstead when she warbled "You Cut Up the Clothes in the Closet of My Dreams". All those songs and some of the loud dialogue can be exhausting but this was never boring, let me tell you! I was also thrilled to find out the musical director was Harold Wheeler who I know as the conductor of the band and singers on "Dancing with the Stars", at least he was until last season. So on that note, I recommend Don't Play Us Cheap.

A Great Movie For The Early 1970s

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
5 April 2003

This was a cool musical movie! It was nice to see Esther Rolle and Teresa Merrit in another role besides the roles that made them very popular. This movie was so funny and crazy. It was definitely a great movie to be made in 1973!