Book of Numbers (1973) Poster

3 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
I was in this movie and helped produce it
sndpaper19 March 2006
I played the Prosecuting Attorney in the Courtroom scene ,,,"nip this in the bud" was one of my lines that became a byword around the set after that scene was filmed. Phillip Michael Thomas and Denise Gordy were very nice people, young "comers", as it were, at the time. It's a shame the film never saw wide release---at the time I think it might have had something to do with this being St. Jacques's first directorial/producing effort, he went over budget and over time, I think, and only finished it with enormous help from Marty Hornstein who replaced Clyde Houston (who got me into it way above my skill level---I was an actor, but Clyde also used me as location, car, and general Texas wrangler) as AD. Brut Productions, the money guys, had some issues with Raymond (which wouldn't have been hard to do), and that probably caused some editing and/or release problems. It was a full script, with a good story---I have no idea why it ran so short. I never saw even a rough cut.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Young PMT in a classic blaxploitation film
crawford7 October 2002
Philip Michael Thomas has probably only been seen by most audiences in the MIAMI VICE television series, the quintessential action TV show of the 80's. But prior to MIAMI VICE PMT was seen in quite a number of blaxploitation films in the 1970's. BOOK OF NUMBERS is nearly impossible to find but it's one of the best blaxploitation films from the 70's that I've seen and it's one of PMT's best early roles. The film is no holds barred in its depiction of African-American life in the 30's in the South and the language and violence is fairly intense. It's got great atmosphere, an interesting plot and lots of attitude (but when you're fighting the KKK anything goes!) If you enjoy these kinds of films I'd definitely recommend this one, and especially if you enjoy PMT's acting in MIAMI VICE, you'll love him in this.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting well acted movie.
soundmixer28 October 2002
The movie was good and the book it is based on is one of those rare novels that is so well written you think you are observing the characters first hand and it is almost like losing friends when the story ends. Deserves to be seen AND read.!!!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this