IMDb > "The Young and the Restless" (1973) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Young and the Restless"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Young and the Restless" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

I have been Young and Restless ever since 1973

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
16 May 2003

Yep, I was there on the first day from day one for "The Young and the Restless". Let me set the stage for all the younger viewers so they know where I'm coming from...

Back in the late 60's early 70's there wasn't much fare for young pre-teen children like me for Soap Opreas. They were all "adult" and handled "adult" themes, that were, honestly, way over our heads to keep us viewed day in and day out. We were of the "Dark Shadows" generation. To look at a soap, we wanted one that was exciting, different and on our level. Along came "The Young and the Restless" in 1973.

I knew it was for me and my pre-adolescent girl-pals, our parents didn't like it much. Our parents were watching "Somerset", "The Secret Storm", "Edge of Night", "Another World" and before "General Hospital" got hip, these soaps were dry and people didn't speak about much on network TV. Everyone had the same disease, everyone sat on the bed by themselves and yuck! that organ music!

It was exciting back then to see a daytime soap storyline wrap around themes that young ladies and young gentlemen were dealing with of those times, and it spoke to us on OUR level. Even the "older" more adult cast were speaking on our level, so it caught on quickly for us.

It's now 2003, 30 years later and "The Young and the Restless" is still a soap I will watch. Like all soaps, it has its goes up and down. But the "Young and the Restless" was NOT afraid to tackle the social, moral and racial issues of our day... STD's, AIDS, Cults, Alcoholism, Older women going after younger men (it was always the other way around!), Gigilos, Strippers, Rock Musicians, Models, oh my goodness!!! Now, yes, its more common place and these themes aren't much but "The Young and the Restless" was one of the first to tackle these head on and not subtly either!

The writing was crisp, young, on-target, just the right thing for us. Some of the best characters in my soap lifetime of watching the "Young and the Restless" that were dear to me were:

The Brooks Sisters -- Yes, the one who played the piano was the one I centered on because at the time, I could understand her problems. And "Pumpkin" poor, "Pumpkin", her story line really made me cry.

Nikki Reed -- Nikki and her family were tough. Nikki was a stripper. Nikki got money. Nikki got...around. Boy, we loved Nikki!

Katherine Chancellor -- This is the Y&R grand dame. Katherine and her younger men, Katherine and her money, Katherine and her alcoholism, Katherine and her face-lifts! Cosmetic plastic surgery was not mentioned on SOAPS! This character brought it on! I really wish they would show this soap in repeats, Katherine Chancellor kicked royal butt!

Victor Newman -- At first I thought this character wasn't going anywhere but wow, he developed nicely and I cannot see the program without him. Rich, powerful, handsome, -- flawed. What else could you ask for? The Newman Clan -- Victoria and Nicolas growing up quite nice and spoiled and unsure as we would expect.

The Abbott Clan -- In the 80's, Ashley Abbott and I were on the same career track. except I didn't do it through family, I made it up the corporate ladder the hard way, but boy was I glad to see Ashley Abbott go through the turmoil, the backbiting: her brother Jack who crushed HER at every corner and had his own problems, the father and head of a HUGE fragrance corporation John, the dear Tracey Abbott who was going through almost EVERY teenage girls' nightmare, being pretty, smart and second banana to her svelte sister, the mother Deena who had an affair and...well..lets just say not all Abbotts are Abbotts and when that eventually comes out (it's 2003 now and not EVERYBODY knows) what a thrill.

There are so many more such as...Neil Winters who really worked his way up through the ranks; streetwise, Drucilla Barber and her over-achieving sister Olivia, Paul Williams and his detective firm, what a thrill they were in the 80's (and not to mention that little STD Paul had when coming to Genoa City, and not to mention the Cult!!) Cricket Christine Blair who was the summer entry we all looked forward to in Jr. Jabot, the scheming Diane, the unsuspecting Andy, and so on and so on and so on!!!

The "Young and the Restless" has kept true to its title always bringing in young and restless story lines as well as keeping older viewers like me interested as well. That's a tough thing to do day after day, year after year, decade after decade. Some story lines and characters won't jell with everyone -- and that's okay, that's a soap. This is one that will be bold, go out on a limb and come right into your face with current and past material, young, middle aged and older story lines that no matter how old you are you could get involved with, (maybe not!) but the Young and the Restless is still, to me, one of the best daytime soaps out there for it is young..and very restless.

Y&R #1 for 900+ weeks!!

Author: romeoforever95 from United States
21 June 2006

I have been a longtime viewer of Y&R. Since 1991, i was about 11yrs old, and i was immediately hooked. Watching "Victor" drive his car off the cliff, and everyone thought he was dead, meanwhile living with a new love and center of his life "Hope Adams". He then went on to having a child with this blind woman. Y&R over the years, has become something, that everyone can relate to i believe. After the passing of the well respected and beloved "Bill Bell", Y&R still kept their heads high, and delivered the finest in daytime television. Y&R, now recently claiming the title of "America's #1 Daytime Drama", has for the last couple years for me, been the best well poised and presented Soap on the networks. Hence the #1 title. Most fans of the show can visit the official Y&R site This is one show, that over the years, have proved themselves time and time again, to be the best, and the most respected. The combination of lust, mixed with life expectancies, and life collaboration, has made this show unlike no other. I am a Y&R FAN4LIFE. Would luv to claim the #1 fan title, but there as u know, are many many fans who would claim to be the #1 fan of the show. But they are my on screen family, of 14yrs, i have watched them grow, and change into something, that i am oh so proud of now. I would love the honor of meeting the cast and crew someday, but for now, just watch the show....and experience the uniqueness for yourself!!!

The Most Classic of All Soaps!

Author: ( from United States
2 May 2006

As a lifetime soap opera fan, I have watched a lot of soaps and most can't compare to the best soap on television. Screw the Emmys for not naming it the Best Daytime Drama of the year. Since it's debut in 1973, The Young and the Restless revolutionized daytime by the master, William J. Bell and his wife Lee Phillip Bell. Together they created the Young and the Restless and Bold and the Beautiful, both the most watched soaps on daytime today. What's their secret? They don't kill characters and return them back from the dead, rather they don't kill many characters. They stick to the old fashioned way of storytelling. They don't do things quickly which is why is may not be for everybody. What is their strength is the excellent cast of actors and crew members who don't just stay 3 years and leave. THey stay a lot longer and there are exceptions. I think they stay because the work is good and in Los ANgeles, you can do other things like film and television and even theater. Yes, the cast includes Jeanne Cooper, Eric Braeden, Peter Bergman, Melody Thomas Scott, Kate Linder, and so many others who have come and gone. It's not for everybody, it might be too slow for some people but the stories are good and somewhat crazy sometimes but worth watching. At least, they make an effort to focus on the older characters like Katherine and Jill, archenemies, friends, and rivals and even related. The show gets stronger in time. With head writer, Kay Alden in charge, things have not changed so much since the Beloved William J. Bell passed away a year ago. he was a legendary creative person entirely. He and Lee treat the cast and crew like their family which is why so many have stayed so long. Bill and Lee were a dynamic team together on screen and off-screen as well. I wished the Kennedy Center Honors would have honored him for his contributions to daytime television which are just incredible. He helped create daytime. He is still very much missed today.

A classic soap opera!

Author: Grace Zeh ( from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
16 July 2006

Ah, yes. I can remember when I was in high school. The first thing I would do my junior and senior year when I was home from school was watch this classic soap opera. From that moment on, I was hooked on it. In addition, I also enjoyed the days when Victoria (Heather Tom) was on the show. Ever since Malcolm (Shemar Moore) left the show in 2001, I haven't been watching it as much. If you ask me, she was absolutely diabolical. You'd have to have seen the show between 1994 and 2001 if you want to know why. However, this is still a good soap opera. In conclusion, I highly recommend this classic soap opera to all you die-hard CBS fans.

an addictive soap

Author: Dan Grant ( from Toronto, Ontario
1 September 1999

When I was five years old I used to come home for lunch and my mom would be watching this television show. I would be sitting at the lunch table and I didn't exactly watch it, but by osmosis it stuck with me. I kept coming home at the same time every day for lunch for years to come. And I became fascinated by The Young and the Restless. When you are subjected to it every day for eight years, you get to know it and grow to have a love hate relationship with the show. Now that I am a grown man, it is almost embarrassing to say that I still watch this show, but it is true and I still have a love hate relationship with the damn thing. And even though I am the only one to comment on it, I know there are many other guys that watch this show as much as I do. How many times have you heard a guy say " I wish I could have sex as much as Victor." For me that was a lot. Most of the guys that I went to high school with were closet Y&R guys. They couldn't get enough of it. I really don't know what it is about the show that has kept me watching it for years, but there is something addictive about it. It would be easy and very macho of me to say that the sole reason is because of the beauties like Trish and Sharon and Grace walking around with their smooth stomachs and their provocative clothing, but that wouldn't be entirely correct. They are great to look at but it is more. And to really get the appeal of this show, look no further than Jack and Victor.

Jack and Victor have been going quibbling for as long as I have been watching. Jack and Victor have stolen women from each other ( Nicki, Diane ), they compete for business ( Jabot ) they work at the same office, and they generally hate each other. When Victor says Jack's name he literally spits it out. " The site of you disgusts me Jackabbot! " he was heard saying once. And he has to say his name in one syllable, as if saying it properly is too distasteful. Sure, Paul and Christine, Brad and whoever he is sleeping with, Jill and Kay, Billy and Mac, Michael Baldwin and his sneaky ways, Nick and Victoria, Malcolm and Neil, Olivia, and the rest of the cast is fun in their own right, but it is Jack and Victor that are the fun ones. I just wish that once, just once, Jack could win straight out. Not losing in the end, but actually has one clear cut victory over Mr. Money Bags. That would be refreshing.

Y&R is the kind of show that you turn off every once in a while because it takes them six months to resolve an issue that should be done with in a matter of days. And sure time is a big problem in this show. Victor can leave the office and get home in time to see Nicki crying over whatever she is crying about this time, even though she was crying when Brad was in the room only five minutes ago. But Newman Enterprises should be in town and they live in the country. And most characters are annoying at one point or another and no one is faithful, but hey, we can overlook those things because we are addicted.

It really is a fun show to watch and if you haven't seen it by now, then just start watching it, you'll pick up on what you need to know in about a week.

Y&R is a Ruined Show

Author: parickards from Canada
17 October 2015

I wish I was allowed to give zero star! Young and Restless is now a very pathetic show. Bill Bell Sr. must be twirling in his grave. Since Chuck Pratt took over as the head writer the show has deteriorated 100,000,00% It's beyond ridiculous.

Victor Newman is a vile hateful character and needs to go. And no one is indispensable. The Brooks are gone, The Fosters are gone, The Chancellors are gone... Victor Newman needs to go. The show would go on.

Chuck Pratt and Jill Farren Phelps needs to go along with all the talentless Friends of Jill that she hired.

18 -49 is the target audience when it mostly people over 55 who watch the show keeping it as top soap. We are the ones at home all day watching soaps.

Long time viewer disgusted!

Author: wefive-71-455707
12 May 2015

I have watched Y&R since the beginning through its good and questionable story lines, but now they are really getting ridiculous.

Twice in the last year or so, Victor has found 'look a likes' for Cassie and now Jack! The whole ridiculous storyline of Kelly, the nut, kidnapping Jack is really going far too far and is now verging on the just plain stupid! Please stop. I don't know how much more I can endure before I give up and switch off.

Still love Victor, but wish you would get rid of Genoa City's resident whore and nut job, Sharon. Sharon Case is boring and her storyline is constantly repetitive and now also BORING!

Classic Daytime TV at its finest

Author: TWUGrl05 from United States
6 May 2007

Like most Y&R fans, I started watching with my mom and Grams. It was and still is a family tradition (one that's actually fun!). It's the most realistic (well as realistic as a soap opera can be) soap on television. It's dramatic and entertaining. The Abbott v. Newman conflict is a tradition within the show that never fails to disappoint and is a good constant. The writers are careful not to fall into traps that other soaps do by having plots be too outlandish. The writing and the acting are superb. Eric Braeden and Peter Bergman as Victor Newman and Jack Abbott, respectively, are classic enemies. My favorite characters Phyllis Summers-Newman and Michael Baldwin (portrayed by the utterly fabulous Michelle Stafford and Christian LeBlanc) are deliciously villainous and incredible to watch. All in all, Y&R is a bright spot in the increasingly ridiculous world of daytime TV (I used to watch Passions, B&B and ATWT and they all pale in comparison).

Give it a go and you won't regret it.

What garbage

Author: mikerichardson-63034 from Canada
14 March 2015

They won't let me give this garbage a zero so I guess it's a one. How this show manages to stay on the air for 40 plus years is beyond me. It must be cheap to produce or something is my best guess. Like every other daytime drama its totally lacking in any sort of realism. It's a comic book look at life for housewives and the unemployed. All the characters are rich and beautiful but nobody works. I think this probably appeals to their two target demographics I listed earlier. Frankly animated shows like the Simpsons do a much better job of portraying reality. Hopefully the new generation will finally put an axe to drivel like this on TV.

Bring back Billy Miller and Michelle Stafford!!

Author: JustJac8 from United States
17 November 2014

I have been a viewer of Y&R since the inception. I spent many years overseas, and still managed to follow the show. Lately I have been extremely disappointed in the choice of actors for the roles of Billy Abbott and Phyllis Newman. Billy Abbott is the epitome of the charming bad boy that all women love. Michelle Stafford is the ultimate bad girl that we all love to hate! The new actors chosen for these roles are grossly inadequate. Instead of being charming, the new Billy is a whiny preppy, not at all made for the role. He is painful to watch. The new Phyllis is trying to be bad. She just comes off as annoying. What can you do to convinve Billy Miller and Michelle Stafford to return to their roles? They were the BEST!! Do whatever it takes; they are sorely missed!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]