IMDb > "Gatchaman" (1972) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Kagaku ninja tai Gatchaman"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Gatchaman" More at IMDbPro »"Kagaku ninja tai Gatchaman" (original title)

Five acting as one!

Author: joethecondor
6 November 2001

How could you not like this cool as hell show ? Martial arts, giant monsters, and the unforgetable fiery phoneix.Gatchaman had everything forget the horrible Battle of the Planets, and watch this show uncut. Episode after episode these kids rack up a body count the size of Europe. And Ken and Joe are always arguing, usually over who to kill and who not. The last two episodes were my favorites.

One of the originals

Author: lvtbdctr
2 May 2000

Like many people in the 20-30 yr old range, I grew up watching Battle of the Planets. The show had incredible action sequences and realistic portrayls of the main characters. Years later I learned the show had been dubbed and judiciously eddited from the Japanese show Gatchaman. In the last few years I have been able to see most of the original episode of Gatchaman and have a much greater appreciation of the show. From Power Rangers to Voltron...this show started the team genre.

Gatchaman! Gatchaman! Gatchaman!!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
23 June 2004

Gatchaman a.k.a. Battle of the Planets (1972) was one of my favorite childhood cartoons. I recently bought the D.V.D. that featured the original un-edited version of Gatchaman. That show's awesome. The writing, voice acting and violence is way better than the "Battle of the Planets" version. Unlike the re-edited and re-dubbed version, Gatchaman is real dark and realistic. The "re-edit" is too hokey and not as fun. When I was younger I was a huge "Battle of the Planets" mark. But Gatchaman is something else. Long life the Space Ninja team Gatchaman!

Fun stuff. Miles difference between the Japanese version and the prepared American version. Not only is the storyline and mood of the cartoon different but the violence is over the top in the original. Great stuff!

A

"Gatchaman! Gatchaman! Gatchaman!"

A classic.......

Author: Jenova Synthesis
2 July 1999

I remember "Gatchaman"!It's one of my childhood favorites of all time.It has cyborgs,robots,monsters(Dai-Kaiju type),sentai-like action,weaponry and super villains!Forget the "Battle of the Planets" re-edit and the atrocious 1995 remake,this is the best one of the Gatchaman bunch.

Now I know what I missed!

Author: lborgia88 from United States
5 February 2007

I'm old enough to remember Battle of the Planets -liked the show, hated the robot. Only recently have I begun watching all the Gatchaman episodes from ADV films (only volume 18 left to see) and I am loving them. I watch them with my 10 year old nephew, and he thinks they're great too, which goes to show that the limitations of 35 year old animation don't matter if the characters and stories are good. There's humour, over-the-top zaniness (WHO created the uniforms of the Galactor commanders?), LOTS of action, and lots of angst. Joe is my favourite character (swoon), but my nephew likes Jinpei, the kid. Now, if only Gatchaman II, the second series, were available subbed or dubbed...

One of the True Classics of Japanese Animation

Author: Kelly Izaj (mrizaj@comcast.net) from Pittsburgh, PA USA
16 December 2013

When I was a child growing up in the 1970's, I remembered watching a series called BATTLE OF THE PLANETS. I later learned that it was a edited version of a Japanese animated series titled SCIENCE NINJA TEAM GATCHAMAN (the translation of the title from the Japanese) and had my interest peaked by the existence of the original. In the 1990's on the Cartoon Network, I got to see another attempt to adapt the original GATCHAMAN called G-FORCE: GUARDIANS OF SPACE. But recently, I got the chance to finally see the original GATCHAMAN in its unaltered form (except for the dubbed English dialog) and the original is far superior to the two American adaptations.

If you are familiar with both early American adaptations of GATCHAMAN, you know the series' premise. If not, here's how it went. In the 21st. Century, the nations of Earth are under constant attack by Galactor, a ruthless terrorist organization led by Berg Katse (who actually the stooge of a being known only as Leader X). Using super-advanced machinery and technology, they were able to commit acts of mass destruction at will in attempt to conquer the world. The only thing that stood between the Galactor Organization and world conquest was five youths known as the Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (or G-Force if you prefer).

The Gatchaman squad were Ken the Eagle aka Gatchaman (G-1)the leader of the team; Joe the Condor (G-2), the rebellious second in command; Jun the Swan (G-3), the pretty demolitions expert; Jinpei the Swallow (G-4) the youngest member of the team; and Ryu the Owl (G-5), the team strongman and pilot of their aircraft the God-Phoenix. All five clad in colorful superhero-type uniforms (birdstyles) which feature glider wing like capes that allow them to soar through the air and distinctive helmets with beak-like visors which vaguely resemble the heads of birds. All five trained in a superhuman form of martial arts which allows them to perform tremendous superhuman feats. And four of the team utilize special vehicles that when combined with the God-Phoenix turn it into a super weapon.

The Science Ninja Team were led behind the scenes by Dr. Nambu, a scientist from the International Science Organization (ISO) who developed their distinctive weaponry and vehicles. They also were occasionally aided in their fight against Galactor by the Red Impulse squadron, a trio of pilots whose commander turned out to be the father of one of the Science Ninja Team's members.

But what separate the original series from its two American adaptations were two major things. One was the massive violence and scenes of mass destruction and loss of life which was edited out in BATTLE OF THE PLANETS and restored in part in G-FORCE. The other was the in depth characterization of not only the heroes of the series, but the villains and supporting characters in each of the episodes. A thing that would become more common in the action-adventure series that would come out in the 1990's but was light years ahead of what was going on in animation stories during the 1970's.

In conclusion, if you want to enjoy this classic series it's best to watch the original series in either the original Japanese or the current dubbed English version. Because the original GATCHAMAN is obviously the best of the bunch.

A great animated series from my childhood

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
9 January 2013

I love "Battle of the Planets" (Also known as "G-Force) It was one of the coolest cartoons ever made, and it was way ahead of its time, which despite being made in the seventies, predates the aesthetic and themes from many action and superhero cartoons from the eighties and nineties. This show also had a cool cast of heroes and villains, which were also very cool and interesting, and made this series to work so well.

I consider "Battle of the Planets" to be one of the most underrated animations from the seventies, totally deserving the title of cult classic despite all the "dated" elements that this series could have, at least from a modern perspective.

Personally, I still like it a lot, and I consider "Battle of the Planets" to be a part of my childhood, like the original Transformers cartoon, Robotech and Saint Seiya.