IMDb > Horror Express (1972) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Horror Express

Horror Express More at IMDbPro »

A great B-movie, if that is not a contradiction of terms

Author: SnorriGodhi from the Sagas of Icelanders
1 July 2006

This movie sets itself a modest purpose: to keep us entertained for one and a half hours. It succeeds brilliantly, as long as we allow it to succeed, that is, as long as we are willing and eager to be entertained.

This is one of only two thrillers that I know of, in which almost the entire story takes place on board a train: the other is Murder on the Orient Express. The setting works very well in both movies, but I found Horror Express to be more satisfying. At the beginning, as the cast of characters got settled in the train, I got settled in my chair, eager for the journey to start. During the journey, there is enough suspense to keep the viewer interested, but nobody (except the very young or the very sensitive) needs to worry about being scared, or grossed out by gore. I must admit to not having paid too close attention to the plot, but this probably contributes to the enjoyment, and it means that I can enjoy seeing it again.

In short, this movie is jolly good fun as long as you are not too demanding in terms of plot or character development. One of my favorite horror movies.