IMDb > The Eyes of Charles Sand (1972) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Eyes of Charles Sand (TV) More at IMDbPro »

ESP Thriller Has Some Scares !!!

Author: Kelt Smith from Baltimore, MD
22 October 2000

An ABC Tuesday night "Movie Of The Week", THE EYE OF CHARLES SAND is good little thriller. Upon his uncle's death, Charles Sand (PETER HASKELL) receives his inheritance. What has his uncle left him ? Aunt Alexandra (JOAN BENNETT) calls it "the sight". Charles thinks its more like a curse, but what it is is the ability to see the past, future, ghosts, and more. Sort of an ESP+. Even during his uncle's graveside service , Charles sees an apparition of a dead woman in front of the Parkhurst masoleum, and the very real Emily Parkhurst (SHARON FARRELL) running around the cemetery in a state of agitation. Charles finds a bracelet that Emily had left in the cemetery and goes to return it to her at her large family estate where she lives with older sister Katherine (BARBARA RUSH) and Katherine's husband Jeffrey Winslow (BRADFORD DILLMAN). Katherine thanks Charles for his kindness and also informs him that sister Emily " is not a well girl." Emily soon contacts Charles again and informs him that she sees her dead brother Raymond all over the place and that the apparition that Charles saw at the cemetery was of her dead ancestor Lottie. Emily has Lottie's diary and believes that she is reliving her doomed relative's tragic life. So now Charles Sand gets to solve this mystery and try to save FARRELL's sanity. There are a few spooky visions and some real scares in the climax, actually quite good for a made for tv movie. It's evident that this movie was left open ended in case ABC might decide to make this a weekly series along the lines of THE SIXTH SENSE which was on the air around that time with GARY COLLINS

I have really scary memories of this

Author: theamazingwolfman from United Kingdom
26 October 2007

I watched this when I was around 12 or 13 and it's the only horror movie that I've ever switched off because I was too afraid to watch it alone.

I want to watch it again; not because I'm particularly braver now, but I have a girlfriend who I can cuddle up to if I need to gibber and bite my fingers down to the knuckles.

Seriously, I'm not easily scared but this film nearly made me crap myself when I watched it. Maybe it'd be different now; I don't know. All I do know is that it's the most terrifying film that I've ever seen, even if that does come from the perspective of someone who only saw it as a kid.

Cemetery scene at beginning

Author: Randy Wilharm (marr752@gmail.com) from United States
3 December 2006

I too saw the very beginning of this movie and it scared the hell out of me. Something about him (Charles Sand) seeing that dead lady in the cemetery, I mean this lady really looked dead. I was just a kid at the time and I will never forget it. I'll never forget the white eyes of that dead old lady. God that was scary for a kid to see!!

There was a eerie musical score too. It sounded something like running your finger across a piano keyboard from high scale to low. I just typed "The eyes of charles sand" into Alta Vista and I was lead here. Thank gop for search engines. I want to find this movie and see it now so I can convince myself it's not all that scary as I remember it from the mind of a child. That's why I gave it a 9!!!

Whites of eyes

Author: standash-1 from Canada
29 May 2005

I saw this movie when I was 8 and I think it was on around the same time that the screaming woman was on. I always remembered those two movies and could never get them out of my mind. This one as well as the screaming woman scared the living daylights out of me. If only they made thrillers as good as this for the big screen. I have been looking for this one as well as The screaming woman forever. Can anyone out there tell me if they have a copy of this?

Now that we have DVD technology I suppose that the studio that owns the rights to it needs enough of a demand to put it on DVD, but as in the case of the Screaming woman I suppose that there are some cable stations looking for content that have shown this. Has anyone out there taped it?

The Eyes Of Charles Sand scared me big time the first time that I watched it!

Author: (climbingivy@msn.com) from United States
19 February 2012

"The Eyes Of Charles Sand" scared me big time the first time that I watched it on television when I was fourteen years old.Other movies that had the same effect on me were "The Legend of Lizzie Borden" with Elizabeth Montgomery,"The Dead Don't Die" with Linda Cristal and "Out Of Contention" with Elizabeth Montgomery.First off, the cast of this movie is excellent.Peter Haskell is a highly talented actor who I think was under-rated during his time in the movie business.Joan Bennett,what can I say was a beautiful,classy,very talented actress.If you want a good scare,check this one out.I agree with another reviewer,not for young children.I Have This Movie.

Maybe not for the kids

Author: Thomas Lindholm (thomaslindholm@comcast.net) from Pleasant Hill, CA
13 May 2006

I was 10 years old in 1972, and absolutely fascinated by the occult/horror genre. As a faithful viewer of the TV series "Dark Shadows", "The Sixth Sense" and "Night Gallery", I was quite used to watching stories about ghosts, vampires, werewolves and the like. But nothing had prepared me for the night I accidentally tuned in to this Movie Of The Week. Those first couple of scenes featuring the dead guy with only the whites of his eyes scared me more than anything I'd ever seen. I honestly don't remember much else about this movie—I may not even have watched all of it. But still today, more than 30 years later, I get goosebumps just thinking about those scary white eyes!

Unsold series pilot visits "I see dead people" territory!

Author: garrard from Camilla, GA
19 January 2006

Peter Haskell, formerly of the short lived "Bracken's World," starred in this pilot for a proposed series about a young man that is able to see "the dearly departed". He is called to investigate the mysterious death of the brother of loony Sharon Farrell (in an Emmy-worthy performance) and must contend with the other members of her family, sister Barbara Rush and her smarmy husband, Bradford Dillman.

The movie has its moments, especially when Haskell's visions come out of the blue and surprise the viewer. Also, the "borrowed" Mancini score is tense-filled and goose-bump inducing.

Spoiler: The highlight is when the reserved Rush becomes unglued, revealing her true nature.

Though, it's not a great film, it does hold the interest for 90 minutes and that's all one should expect from a TV-movie.

Cemetery scene at beginning

Author: Randy Wilharm (marr752@gmail.com) from United States
3 December 2006

This didn't quite live up to my memories

Author: calvinnme from United States
1 January 2015

I saw this originally in 1972 when it aired on TV, and I remember it scaring the living daylights out of me as a kid. Just recently purchasing it from the Warner Archive, I sat down to relive my teenage memories.

The film is about Charles Sand, a businessman who awakes from a vivid dream about his uncle, dead in his coffin, sitting up and pointing at him, with no pupils in the dead man's eyes. At the same time he is awakened by a phone call - his uncle has just died. His aunt Alexandra tells Charles that as the last living male member of the Sand family he has inherited "the sight" from his uncle. This "sight" will cause him to have visions from time to time in order to help people with some problem in their lives. It's not that Charles is a selfish or self-involved guy as much as this is not exactly a turn in his life that is welcomed. As he asks his aunt Alexandra - "Why me?".

Almost immediately he begins to have visions of a dead woman reaching out to him, of a dead man falling through a wall, and of a young woman with long red hair in a long fur coat.

It turns out that Emily Parkhurst (Sharon Farrell) of the wealthy prominent Parkhurst family is the red headed woman in trouble. She believes her brother is dead, and she says she continually sees visions of him, covered in blood. Now this is the part of the film that lost about one star from my rating. As Emily, Sharon Farrell is doing a most irritating Mod Squad version of Ophelia through about half of this movie. Nobody will take her seriously and from her behavior it is not hard to figure out why this is so. When Charles Sand gets involved, Emily's older sister tells Sand that the brother is in London and has written and called Emily several times since she claimed he was dead, but she just hangs on to her belief in his death beyond all reason. So now Sand is not only having to deal with doubts about his new gift, but doubts that the first person he has encountered since receiving this second sight is in trouble at all versus just being crazy.

The last ten minutes or so are very suspenseful and worth putting up with Ms. Farrell's over-the-top performance. I'd recommend it especially if you liked the old made for TV movies of the 70's.

Just one more thing. I really was scratching my head at first in response to the detached performance Joan Bennett gave as Charles' widowed aunt Alexandria when talking to Charles about his new found gift and the uncle's death. But then I realized it probably just fit in with what she already knew and what Charles' uncle wrote to him in the letter describing his new sixth sense "Neither man of God nor man of science can help you now. You are alone."

What Charles Sand Sees

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
9 October 2014

ESP-themed TV movie stars Peter Haskell as stockbroker Charles Sand, who learns upon his uncle's death that he has inherited "The Sight", a family gift/curse that enables him to have psychic visions that he must use to help those in need. No sooner is his uncle buried that a disturbed young woman(played by Sharon Farrell) needs his help to investigate whether her brother Raymond is alive or not, and what part her sister(played by Barbara Rush) and brother-in-law(played by Bradford Dillman) play in the mystery... Uneven thriller is both low-key and over-the-top, with decidedly mixed results. Some good visuals and jump-scares though. A proposed TV series pilot that never happened.