IMDb > Come Back Charleston Blue (1972) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Come Back Charleston Blue More at IMDbPro »

One of the better movies of Soul Cinema

Author: ladybug7903 from United States
6 July 2007

Charleston Blue, is one of my favorites. I just wish it got more recognition. Very entertaining..full of action together with the charm and wit of Gravedigger Jones and Coffin Ed. I enjoyed Cotton Comes to Harlem, but loved this one. The description says a sequel to Cotton..Harlem but it is more of a sequel of the rough but effective detective duo Gravedigger Jones and Coffin Ed. This movie definitely keeps you laughing, keeps you in suspense, but also delivers a powerful message about drugs in the black community. I too have been searching for the DVD and will be first in line to get it when it is released, I am confident it will be released and soon. This is one of the Soul Cinema movies that is a must have for my collection.

Kudos & Requests

Author: KARAMELKID
17 May 2005

I have seen and own this movie and think it's a "classic". I absolutely love the film from the actors, story and especially the soundtrack to it.

For anyone that may have influence or knows someone who does in regards to this film, I would ask or even implore you to make this film available on DVD!!! I have been waiting for years for this to become available on DVD and it hasn't up to this point. I tell you that I will be one of the first in line to get it. Willie Dynamite was just released a few months ago and it was made, roughly, sometime after Charelston Blue I believe. Please bring it out on DVD. VHS is cool, but...

Anyway, love the movie, and would definitely recommend it to anyone to enjoy.

BTW, was/is there a soundtrack available as well? That's probably on a tape and not a CD huh? LOL!!! Please respond.

Good Times

Author: Ifred Garfunkel from United States
11 February 2008

Yea this one's got all the action the first was missing but it's still a classic. Both will make you laugh, the first one is more like an introduction to Coffin Ed and Grave Digger Jones, this sequel is where they Get Down

http://64.92.235.14/o=64/b=/r/release/actcorp/60m_d/Call http://64.92.235.14/o=64/b=/r/release/actcorp/static/C001 http://64.92.235.14/o=64/b=/r/release/actcorp/static/002 http://64.92.235.14/o=64/b=/r/release/actcorp/static/C003 http://64.92.235.14/o=64/b=/r/release/actcorp/static/002 http://64.92.235.14/o=64/b=/r/release/actcorp/static/C00 http://64.92.235.14/o=64/b=/r/release/actcorp/static/C003

Gravedigger Jones & Coffin Ed Johnson strike again in Come Back, Charleston Blue

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
7 February 2012

Just watched this sequel to Cotton Comes to Harlem on YouTube. Once again, Gravedigger Jones (Godfrey Cambridge) and Coffin Ed Johnson (Raymond St. Jacques) are trying to make it safe to live in the streets of Harlem but there's someone running drugs there and the possibility of the title character returning to exact vengeance...While I thought CCTH was pretty entertaining, this one to me was a bit more funny and lively especially with help from Donny Hathway's score and supervision of it by Quincy Jones. I especially liked the performance of Minnie Gentry as Her Majesty who expects her late husband Charleston Blue to return any minute now though probably realizes he may never. Still, she likes to live in the past. Also returning is Dick Sabol as the dumb white cop Jerema though he's a bit more sympathetically treated here. Really, all I'll say now is I highly recommend Come Back, Charleston Blue. P.S. Since this is Black History Month, I'd like to cite other players of color that appeared here: Peter DeAnda as Joe, Percy Rodrigues as Bryce, Jonelle Allen as Carol, Maxwell Glanville as Caspar, Toney Brealond as a drag queen, Tim Pelt as Earl J, Marcia McBroom as a girl barber, Adam Wade as Benjy, Dorothi Fox as a streetwalker, and Theodore Wilson as the cemetery guard. Both Ms. Allen and Wilson previously appeared in Cotton Comes to Harlem as a secretary and Barry, respectively. Oh, and a year later, Ms. Gentry (who's Terrence Howard's great-grandmother) would also be in Black Caesar as Momma Gibbs.

Come Back came strong

Author: obrad2 from United States
18 March 2006

I think the reason I really liked this movie so much is as a child, I remember seeing "Cotton comes to Harlem" on NBC and thought, wow, two black detectives who actually did detecting and didn't do much 'shuck and jiving'. They took their business protecting the streets and the black people of Harlem seriously. Godfrey Cambridge and Raymond St. Jacques are sorely missed! The movie, "A Rage in Harlem" was sooooo awful. Why can't somebody remake THAT, instead of remakes of fairly successful movies or comics or TV shows that were at the best, minor league (Dukes of Hazzard, BeWitched). Give me a break. Somebody will try to do a remake of the Jeffersons next!MY GOD!!!

All sequels should be this good...

Author: k. jackson (nuport@webtv.net) from Newark, N.J.
2 August 2002

This film is sort of a pt.2 to "Cotton comes to Harlem" though it easily stands on its own .Once again we have superb acting and excellent direction by Ozzie Davis .I feel this film is not quite as funny as the previous outing though, and that may be due to the fact that this story revolves around the scourge of drug use and drug dealers .These are things that I believe Ozzie really hated to see going on in the community .As a director he probably recognized that Hollywood was not going to address these issues at the time ,they didn't have the guts.It is worth noting Ozzie made at least three films concerning drug use ,this one ,"Gordons War'and I think "Hit!" starring Billy Dee Williams. In this we see Viet Nam vets involved in the lucrative drug trade ,using the coffins of fallen comrades to ship the stuff in (check it out,this actually happened in the 70's).Much of the film is hilarious though ,and Godfrey Cambridge and the rest make this film memorable .Another film classic to be cherished .