IMDb > Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chikyû kogeki meirei: Gojira tai Gaigan

Godzilla vs. Gigan More at IMDbPro »Chikyû kogeki meirei: Gojira tai Gaigan (original title)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Pleasingly surreal, decently action-packed, but a bit flawed nonetheless

Author: vkn from Amsterdam
27 March 2001

Second only to Godzilla vs Hedorah in terms of weirdness, this Goji flick sees a bunch of aliens trying to conquer the earth using a children's theme park as their base. No, seriously. The bizarre theme of the film also shows in several other ways. The human characters are a bit of an oddball crew. No brave explorers, psychics or secret agents this time. Just a budding manga artist (who comes up with monsters and plots so daft not even Toho could take him seriously), his karate champion girlfriend, a funky hippy and some others. The aliens are their usual ludicrous and badly-dressed selves (they wear orange two-pieces with pink shirts underneath. Heaven help us) and their whole earth conquest plan is utterly ridiculous, of course. Something about an answering machine that can summon two monsters from space, probably. Thing is, all the silliness seems right in place this time, as the whole movie doesn't take itself seriously.

Other good points include Anguillas being quite active, music by good ol' Akira Ifukube, and new baddie Gigan, who really is rather groovy.

But for all that, there's plenty to dislike as well. Godzilla himself looks terribly messy in this film. Small bits of rubber are litterally falling off him during the fight. The rubber suit was in pretty poor state, apparently. It ends up looking as if Goji's suffering from kaiju-dandruff of some kind. Then there's the disappointing use of stock footage a go-go, which looks very lazy in some scenes. The scene where Anguillas pops up at Sagami bay and then blatantly -runs away- from the puny millitary without even smashing up one single thing is really shameful (and is probably the reason why Anguillas is often regarded as a bit of a wuss). Finally, the only really serious flaw is that the big battle at the end has a poor structure. Godzilla takes a huge beating for about fifteen whole minutes, then somehow decides that enough is enough and begins to kick back with some help from Anguillas (who did fairly little so far). But just then, after a few good smacks, the two nasty monsters just turn tail and run away. Booh. It's doubly disappointing when you consider that a battle between four monsters, Godzilla and Anguillas on one side, and Gigan and Ghidora on the other, could have been so much more, especially with such cool-looking nasties.

So that leaves a bad aftertaste, but this is still an interestingly strange and silly kaiju movie that should please die-hards of the genre, or people looking for something hilariously odd. Worth watching once, just for it being so loveably off-the-wall, but you can find lots better if you want quality kaiju action.

The pinnacle of freakiness has to be the scenes where Godzilla and Anguillas -talk- to each other. Not only do we hear some utterly ludicrous distorted voices, but both kaiju are also pretty poor conversationalists (especially Anguillas). Wonder what they talk about when there aren't any big, nasty aliens around?

I really like this one

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
26 May 2006

"Godzilla vs. Gigan" is perhaps the best of the 1970s Godzilla films that was aimed for children. It's definitely the most fun and enjoyable. Not as good as the first couple of Godzilla films, but better than others.

What I mostly like about "Godzilla vs. Gigan" is the lengthy and very entertaining four-way monster battle at the end. It's very fun to watch and I never get tired of it. Not to mention that this film was the one that brought Gigan to life, and Gigan is one of my top favorite monsters. King Ghidorah and Angilas, and of course, Godzilla, were great in this one also.

The music score is also very good. I love the dramatic music score that plays when it looks like Godzilla's going to be killed by the laser beams. Also, the drum score when Godzilla and Angilas are heading to fight the enemy is great.

Overall, a good fun Godzilla flick. I'd recommend it.

Great one!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
27 June 2005

I am a huge Godzilla fan, I grew up with Godzilla, I just love seeing this awesome monster just destroy cities and fighting other monsters. I like his enemies as well but Godzilla is the Icon!

This Godzilla film is a great one. The story is very good and I really love the way Godzilla looks in this film. I love it when he roars and moves his tail. The big G is joined by Angilas and he is great and I love it when he roars as well! As for his enemies Gigan and King Ghidorah, they too is awesome. I love it when they roar. The fights between the two monsters is really good. The acting by the film's human stars are also good. The music is just excellent! I really love this Godzilla film for many reasons and its arguably the best! If you love Godzilla I strongly recommend that you do what I did and buy Godzilla vs. Gigan today!

GooD Movie~

Author: irishdrinkah420 from United States
16 February 2010

Man, i don't know if it's because i grew up on godzilla; or something like that because i enjoy just about every godzilla movie made. Honestly, I've seen most of them. And every one is watchable and enjoyable, look at the time this movie was made. Obviously its gonna be corny.I'm watching it right now, and i am enjoying it :P I really don't get Why all the godzilla movies are giving such a low rating, besides a select few. I also just watched Godzilla Mothra and king ghidrah, made in 2001 and wow it was pretty sick. The ending fight with king ghidorah is ridiculous. Anyway i rate this movie an 8 out of 10, maybe a 7.5 i see it as an enjoyable old sci fi flick, thats worth watching if you have a good imagination~

Rubber monsters -- attack!

Author: Brian Manville (Sterno-2) from Frederick, MD
15 February 2001

50 Are you an out-of-work cartoonist looking for a way to keep the repo man from your door? Is your martial arts instructor girlfriend hassling you to find work? Just be careful where you get a job; you may end up working for alien cockroaches bent on destroying earth!

Said cockroaches inhabit human bodies and are building a children's theme park "to promote peace". (Please let these bozos be connected with Marian Wright Edelman!) They have reel-to-reel tapes that attract and control Gigan and King Ghidra from space, and manage to annoy Godzilla at the same time. (Rather than construct such an elaborate tape, they could've just used a Jennifer Lopez tape...much cheaper, I'd imagine.)

Godzilla has a little monster friend who can't walk upright (bad job there, Toho) but does manage to hold his own nonetheless. Gigan is *very* cool. He has a head like a Cylon from "Battlestar Galactica" and hooks instead of paws. Plus, he has a circular saw in his chest. This is a useful appendage, let me tell you!

Admittedly, Godzilla vs. Gigan does repeat an anti-pollution message. However, it takes the story in a different direction in that rather than having a Smog Monster being born from our own foibles, alien cockroaches leave a planet where pollution had caused dire consequences to one that is on the verge of doing so in order to use it to their advantage. Sadly, Godzilla was taking a whale of a beating before the climax. Conversely, the Japanese army did manage to beat back Godzilla's little friend. That's gotta be the first time that the army beat a monster.

Sterno says run, don't walk to Godzilla vs. Gigan.

Great, great fun

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
21 September 2014

I'm a massive fan of kaiju movies so I come to these films predisposed to like them. I've seen most of the original GODZILLA series and am attempting to fill in a few blanks; one of those is GODZILLA VS. GIGAN, a late-entry instalment that pits Godzilla and his old foe Anguirus against new space-monster Gigan and an old enemy, King Ghidorah.

GODZILLA VS. GIGAN is plenty of fun from beginning to end, and the formula for that success lies in having a human interest story that's just as entertaining as the monster stuff. This time around, a group of environmentalists and employees investigate the mysterious owners of a new Godzilla theme park, soon uncovering some dark secrets which inevitably throw Japan into peril.

Godzilla is on good form in what is one of the grisliest of the series (who knew you'd end up seeing a Japanese blood spray in a children's film?). Anguirus is my favourite kaiju monster, purely because he isn't capable of much and it's kind of sweet to watch him getting beaten on so much, so seeing him here was a delight. Gigan proves a deadly foe - especially with that saw! - and King Ghidorah is, well, King Ghidorah. You can't go wrong with that combo, and inevitably GODZILLA VS. GIGAN turns out to be a colourful, action-packed romp.

a pretty good Godzilla flick

Author: fernando castillo from United States
10 October 2006

I bought this expecting to see a cheesy popcorn movie and to my surprise this is one of the best g flicks i've seen. What even made me like this film even more is the music used in this movie. Gigan looks awesome and the final fight was breathtaking, in a weird way.

Godzilla vs Gigan is mainly about cockroach looking aliens that plan on taking over earth and find "absolute peace". They disguise themselves as humans and send Gigan and King Ghidorah to destroy Godzilla.

But this isn't the best Godzilla movie either. There are a few problems in this film. 1) The stock footage is a little to much for me. 2) The unnecessary talk scenes with Godzilla and Anguirus 3) the plot is just plain dumb.

Overall this is a great entertaining Godzilla film, despite a few problems. I recommend this for anyone who happens to bored and wants a good laugh or any to Godzilla fan.

decent monster movie

Author: r-c-s from Italy
21 October 2005

************* Full of shortcomings. (..) At least Tokyo is not ravaged again.

this shows this person hasn't even watched the movie, because Tokyo is the first target of the monsters.

I think it's a pretty decent monster movie. We're in the 70's and the clothing & hairdo remember us of the era, and of the typical Japanese cartoon heroes.

Most people sound overly concerned with the plot, acting or inaccuracies...if you want state of the art acting, go see a Shakespeare play at a big theatre and for flawless special effects (ehm...or nearly so ) look for Hollywood big budget pyrotechnics, not some C low budget Japanese movie. If you want a A+ plot, read Zola, Kafka, Baudelaire.

I think it's a good movie in its genre. The plot goes beyond one-liners about bombs dropped in the ocean and winks to Bond movies (the bad guys all dress the same way). At least there is an attempt at plot depth.

again, i think Hitchcock-styled plots would have been waaay out of question in a monster movie where the main heroes are uncredited men in rubber suit.

The story makes sense enough and the fight scenes are good. The plot is interesting for such a movie: it is easy and rather enjoyable; there are subplots but they don't get in the way. The general atmosphere is one of a B series Bond movie, with some decent suspense (genre-wise).

Author: legolas1337 from United States
1 January 2005

Funny! My favorite Godzilla monster of all time is Gigan. The buzz saw is awesome, especially when Godzilla bleeds nail polish :) I was disappointed that Gigan didn't use his laser eye :(

Oh well. On to the review. I must remind you this contains spoilers.

While looking for a job, a guy goes to Children's World, an "absolute peace" themed park, with a Godzilla Tower. He discovers their secrets and forms with a hippie and a girl. They find a tape and play it, and it calls a "talking" Godzilla and Anguirus. The evil aliens at children's world call Gigan and Ghidorah from space. The latter two destroy Tokyo. They draw Godzilla to the tower and the tower shoots a laser at Godzilla. The humans destroy the tower, and the aliens turn back into cockroaches (?) and die. Godzilla and his buddy defeat Gigan and HIS buddy. The end. Go home.

The plot is bad. The fights are hilarious. If you like stupid sci-fi movies, see it

Cockroach Aliens invade Earth!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
18 May 2003

By the time this Godzilla movie was made, Toho was having its own budget problem. Several scenes in the movie are stock footage taken from earlier Toho movies, and Akira Ifukube's music is merely a reused soundtrack from music taken from no less than nine other Toho movies. But, a lighthearted story here: *possible spoilers* A cartoonist named Gengo stumbles upon a plot by the invading Cockroach Aliens to overtake Earth, trying to find "perfect peace." Their own planet (which for some reason looks exactly like Earth), was being polluted (echoing the pollution theme from Godzilla vs Hedorah). They employ chicken-like monster Gigan and Godzilla's old fiend King Ghidorah to lay waste to Tokyo. But, Godzilla and Anguirus are awakened on Monster Island, and, sensing that something is wrong from a mysterious tape that Gengo played, goes to Tokyo to do battle with the invading monsters.

The human characters are funny and enjoyable to watch, and they cheer for Godzilla (making him look like the hero in him). Gengo has a humorous, "black-belt and karate" girlfriend, and a hippie-looking friend. Bell-bottoms are worn, making this look like a real '70s Godzilla film. Lots of city destruction (even though some are stock footage) and monster fights (though Godzilla is pretty weak and some of the fight sequences really dragged on and on). A little intriguing part is where Gengo and friends go to investigate the backgrounds of his mysterious employers. *another possible spoiler* Why one of the aliens (disguised as a human) give Gengo a job at his "Godzilla Tower" and tip him off about his Earth-conquest plot is beyond me.

Overall, a pretty fun Godzilla flick to watch, if you don't mind all the stock footage and stock music. A good directing job by Jun Fukuda. But, I think the alien-invasion plot that Toho has been using is a little over-used by the time this movie was made. Just to note, this movie is the first (and only) time we get to see and hear Godzilla talk (at least in the US version).

Grade B-