IMDb > A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A typically delightful and wonderful Peanuts holiday TV special

26 November 2009

Scrappy and willful tomboy Peppermint Patty invites herself and several of her friends over for a Thanksgiving feast at Charlie Brown's house. Worried about being unable to provide a decent meal because of his lackluster cooking skills, Charlie Brown receives some much-needed help from the precocious Linus, the ever-exuberant Snoopy, and Snoopy's jolly pal Woodstock to whip up the best possible food for the grand occasion. Director Bill Melendez and Phil Roman, working from a very warm and witty script by Charles M. Schulz, expertly craft a sensationally breezy and snappy 25-minute cartoon romp that brims over with engaging characters (Linus in particular really shines as he explains the historical significance of Thanksgiving in fascinatingly thorough detail), deliciously dry humor, and a spot-on relevant message about the true meaning of Thanksgiving (it's all about friends and family instead of food). Hilarious highlights include Lucy van Pelt pulling the old football trick on hapless Charlie Brown for the umpteenth time, Snoopy's battle with a pesky uncooperative folding chair, Snoopy tossing plates of food at everybody, and Peppermint Patty blowing up at Charlie Brown at the unacceptable meal of junk food. Moreover, there's a cool jazz ditty called "Little Birdie" and a marvelously spirited music montage sequence depicting Snoopy and company preparing the food for the gala event. The whole thing ultimately culminates in a truly uplifting happy ending. The bright and colorful animation holds up pretty well. Vince Guaraldi's fabulously jaunty score further enhances the infectious merriment. Done with genuine heart and a certain sweet charm, this baby sizes up as a total treat that's essential annual viewing on Thanksgiving day.

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is another great Peanuts holiday special

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
23 November 2006

Charlie Brown and his little sister Sally are planning to go to Grandmother's place for Thanksgiving dinner but Peppermint Patty invites herself, Marcie, and Franklin to the Browns expecting one themselves. Linus suggests making one before going to Grandma's so Snoopy and Woodstock start getting the table and chairs. As Peppermint Patty and friends arrive, she's disappointed at getting popcorn, toast, pretzels, and jellybeans instead of turkey, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Marcie apologizes on her friend's behalf before Patty also says she's sorry. Chuck's grandmother then calls and invites everyone over...Another great Peanuts holiday special that's as much a classic as the Great Pumpkin and Christmas one. I especially liked the "Little Birdie" song sung by the late great Peanuts score musician Vince Guaraldi. Snoopy's battle with a lawn chair during this number is the most hilarious scene in the special. As with the Christmas special, Linus recites a wonderful story of Thanksgiving's beginnings with great heart and sincerity. Unfortunately, ABC cut the scene of Snoopy and Woodstock walking to Charlie Brown's house in Pilgrim outfits and the tag of Snoopy and Woodstock pulling the wishbone with the bird falling backwards with the broken wishbone. So my rating of 10 here is based on the original unedited broadcast.

Simply and always Nostalgic!!

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
13 October 2004

I could write the same review for every Peanuts Special I watch and own. Thanksgiving having just passed I watched the Peanuts Special on VHS. You really can't say anything bad about Charlie Brown and the gang. The stories tend to be slow, the jokes a little dry, but you can't help but laugh and remember how many times growing up every year you sat and waited for 8 PM for these specials to come on. The Peanuts are nostalgia for me and many others I am sure. This particular special revolves around good old Chuck getting down about another "stupid" Holiday. The kid needs anti depressants. This is only added to when Peppermint Patty and several others invite themselves over for Charlie Brown's thanksgiving feast. However, Charlie Brown is going to his Grandmother's for their holiday which means only one thing. He must turn to Snoopy for help. Snoopy and his good pal Woodstock whip out the best feast they can serve to a delightful music montage. It made me laugh outloud watching their antics. When Peppermint Patty discovers it's nothing but junk food ie. Popcorn and pretzels that has been prepared she blows her top. In the end everything is good and Linus in his unusual odd way makes everyone see the error of their ways and the real meaning of Thanksgiving. I swear that kid is an alien, he seems to know too much for somebody who sucks his thumb. I don't know what it is but the Charlie Brown cartoons have something hauntingly creepy behind them. It's the music and the art direction and the voices...but at the same time, they stay with you forever. I can't and will not put a number rating to this because as I said in summary this film and all other Charlie Brown classics are simply and always nostalgic!!

A child's cooking skills.

Author: Baldach from Arizona
24 July 2002

Throughout the years I have see the film a few times during the holidays. I would rank it as one of the top ten Peanuts films that Charles Schulz did. As a child I could relate to Charlie Brown whose cooking skills only include making toast and popcorn. After reading the comment about Woodstock eating the turkey, I noticed some thing else slightly distrubting. In this film short Charlie Brown invites all his friends for dinner. Yet Charlie Brown's only ethnic friend is Franklin, who is African American. Franklin does not say more than two lines in the film. Yet considering the film is nearly 30 years old this limited inclusion of multi-ethinic persons is understandable.

A childhood classic

Author: babygiraffe123 from Canada
15 October 2005

I remember seeing A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving as a small child and loved it, although I never did and still to this day, don't understand why the adults always talked so funny. But nevertheless, it still makes me smile. It was on television last week on Thanksgiving Monday and my 5 year old watched it. The scenes with Snoopy and Woodstock made her laugh out loud. It was good to see her enjoying a cartoon that I loved in my childhood. It had been years since I'd seen it, so when it came on right after the Chipmunks Thanksgiving Special, I was surprised and pleased. Even better, it was followed by Garfield's Thanksgiving, which is another of our favorites. I collect Charlie Brown cartoons on DVD, as well as toys, and other memorabilia I can find. But I think my all time favorite Charlie Brown special was A Charlie Brown Christmas, my favorite scene being Schroeder playing the piano for Lucy and she asks him to play Jingle Bells. He plays 3 different versions and gets more and more annoyed until she cries, "That's it!", sending him flying.

Dinner Time

Author: hellraiser7 from United States
7 November 2013

Believe it or not Thanksgiving is actually my second favorite holiday of the year if you can believe that. To me it's not just the delicious dinner we eat, but to me it's the company that you keep. This film is another childhood relic of mine and just like the holiday just never gets old, I'm an adult and I still watch it to this day.

There's really not much I can say about it, the animation is great well it's pretty much the kind you'd expect from the "Pennuts" comics but I wouldn't want it any other way. However what really drives there are as usual the characters as well as the music score with it. The music score is just superb, from the theme but my favorite is that upbeat piano score when their making Thanksgiving dinner.

And it just fun, funny, and touching seeing each of the characters go through the motions. The comedy is great as usual, from the infamous football kick scene which I find funny but a little sad at the same time, one day Charlie Brown just needs to kick Lucy in the face, sorry that sounded harsh but the amount of times she trick him will make anyone do it. And my favorite which is the fight with Snoopy and a fold able summer chair, it's one of the daftest fights I've ever seen, I can emphasize with Snoopy frustrations with those chairs those suckers can be a pain to unfold due to them sticking all the time, let alone don't always stay upright. But mainly just the concept itself is ridiculous it's hilarious what the heck does a chair have to be so teed off about anyway, why am I bothering to ask? But there is a little emotion involved as usual when you feel sympathy for Charlie Brown as he did his best to give Perperment Patty and company a dinner of some sort; hey he's not a color nary chief what the heck does Perperment Patty expect. But most of all just isn't entirely sure what Thanksgiving is really about.

It's got a good message about the meaning of thanksgiving. That it was never really about the eating, but that it's about simply being thanking that you've came this far in life and the company that is with you at the table.

Well, that's all I have to say so Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Rating: 4 stars

"Thanksgiving is more than eating, Chuck."

Author: ExplorerDS6789 from United States
1 November 2013

What better way to kick off the Thanksgiving season than with Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang? So this special kicks off (literally) with Lucy once again enticing Charlie Brown to kick the football. He won't fall for it (also literally), until Lucy cites traditional values involved with kicking the pig skin, so CB runs at the ball, Lucy predictably pulls it away and Charlie falls on his back. The cheeky girl then admits tradition means very little to her. When Charlie Brown recovers, he gets back to worrying about the approaching Thanksgiving holiday, and Sally is upset because she hasn't even finished her Halloween candy yet. Wait, how did she get Halloween candy? Didn't she miss trick or treating to sit in a pumpkin patch with Linus? I guess we can count this as taking place in the following year. Anyway, it seems Charlie's family has their Thanksgiving Day plans all set, but disaster looms on the horizon. Doesn't it always? It began with a phone call out of the blue from Peppermint Patty. Now I know a lot of people assume she's a lesbian, but if that were the case, why does she have a crush on Charlie Brown? So anyway, she invites herself over for Thanksgiving at Chuck's, knowing he wouldn't mind. As if that weren't enough, Patty calls back a minute later to say her pal Marcie would be coming too. A trifecta occurs when Patty calls a third time and says Franklin, the only black kid in the entire Peanuts canon, would be coming too. Better do something quick before she invites the whole neighborhood!

What a predicament Chuck's got himself into: three guests coming for dinner and he won't even be home. Fortunately he doesn't have to be at Grandma's until 4:30, so Linus suggests he have two dinners. Snoopy offers to help set up and cook, so he awakens his birdie pal Woodstock for assistance. They drag the ping pong table out of the garage and set up fold-out chairs, Snoopy constantly getting hurt in the process. Even getting into a fight with a chair that didn't like being kicked. Now that the table was all set, it's time to bring out the eats. How do you prepare a Thanksgiving dinner on short notice? Use what you've got. Improvise. So with toaster ovens a-blazing, they make a whole stack of toast, make three bowls of popcorn, jelly beans, pretzel sticks. Hey, whatever works. So Patty, Marcie and Franklin arrive promptly and they all sit out back, ready for their makeshift dinner. In lieu of a prayer, Linus tells the story of the first Thanksgiving, and then Snoopy serves up the eats. Since Peppermint Patty is more accustomed to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie), she naturally disproves of this flimsy meal and berates Charlie Brown for it. Marcie has to then remind the ungrateful brat that she invited herself and caused this whole mess in the first place. Patty realizes the error of her ways and sends Marcie in after Chuck to make the apology for her. Charlie Brown accepts her apology because he's a saint, and realizes it's now 4:00. Will he make it to Grandma's in time? He calls her to explain their predicament and Granny says, "bring'em along." So they all get in the family Truckster and head off, singing a round of "Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go." Except Chuck's grandmother lives in a condominium. With the humans gone, Snoopy and Woodstock partake in a traditional Thanksgiving dinner they apparently hoarded from the others. Happy Turkey Day!

I'll say this: this is one Thanksgiving special that is NOT a turkey. Though maybe not as beloved as the Peanuts Christmas and Halloween specials, this one is still pretty darn good. It really captures the spirit of this holiday: having to have a big dinner prepared for guests who invite themselves. And while Lucy may not have been a stickler for tradition, Peppermint Patty sure was, belittling Charlie Brown's dinner of toast, popcorn and jellybeans. That reminds me of the Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving special, as Pooh and friends have a dinner of honey, acorns, biscuits and ice cream, and Rabbit lectures them on what a "proper" Thanksgiving meal should be, so they spend the rest of the special tracking down such things. So anyway, this Thanksgiving, I definitely recommend this special. While this holiday may seem like a needless detour between Halloween and Christmas, there's really much more to it.

Of the Charlie Brown holiday specials this one is my personal fave.

Author: Aaron1375
20 November 2011

Yes, here we actually had a Charlie Brown holiday where Linus was not a complete buzz kill. A change of pace from the norm for him, but his one is a simple tale of a couple of Charlie Brown's friends inviting themselves over for a Thanksgiving day feast when Charlie Brown is intending to go to his grandmother's house so he and his pal Linus and Snoopy cook up a feast all on their own. This grand meal including plenty of toast and popcorn. I like this one, to me it is the funniest of the three most well known ones...Halloween and Christmas being the other two. This one is also about the poor holiday stuck between Halloween and Christmas and to me seems to be almost a forgotten holiday these days as the retail stores push Halloween and Christmas and seem to ignore Thanksgiving all together. This one really shows the friend or family member that likes to kind of invite themselves to dinners and things like that this time of year as the culprit in this case is the ever exuberant Peppermint Patty. Marcie comes along too. I know lots of people that kind of tag along events such as these mainly because they do not want to cook themselves so I guess this one sort of hits home, and for me is the funniest and best of the holiday trio.

One question . . .

Author: Tug-3 from New York, NY
23 October 1998

. . . why does Woodstock join Snoopy in eating turkey at the end? . . . Am I the only person who's disturbed by this?

Sort of sadly felt a bit flat

Author: Angels_Review from United States
11 March 2014

It starts out with the oldest gag in the Peanut's Gang comics, the football kick. Lucy pulls the ball from Charlie when he was about to kick it. I have to say; I have mixed feelings about that. Charlie Brown is always falling for it, but yet I feel sorry for him because Lucy always seems to bring up good points to tell him why she 'won't' pull it this time. I love the fact they pull up that people seem to skip Thanksgiving and go to Christmas in the stores. It also brings into consideration how the whole group gets together and looks at what they are thankful for rather then the large turkeys and dinners. The peanut group always seems to do that sort of thing, pretty much bringing the story to its simplest forms.

The artwork is pretty well done even if some of the images are inconsistent in some areas. The show has its own charm that really made it one of the best things.

Sadly, some jokes seem to go a bit overboard and long for my taste, though the ones with Snoopy normally have a really fun charm to them. I don't know exactly why but I like his character more then any other.