IMDb > A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A typically delightful and wonderful Peanuts holiday TV special

26 November 2009

Scrappy and willful tomboy Peppermint Patty invites herself and several of her friends over for a Thanksgiving feast at Charlie Brown's house. Worried about being unable to provide a decent meal because of his lackluster cooking skills, Charlie Brown receives some much-needed help from the precocious Linus, the ever-exuberant Snoopy, and Snoopy's jolly pal Woodstock to whip up the best possible food for the grand occasion. Director Bill Melendez and Phil Roman, working from a very warm and witty script by Charles M. Schulz, expertly craft a sensationally breezy and snappy 25-minute cartoon romp that brims over with engaging characters (Linus in particular really shines as he explains the historical significance of Thanksgiving in fascinatingly thorough detail), deliciously dry humor, and a spot-on relevant message about the true meaning of Thanksgiving (it's all about friends and family instead of food). Hilarious highlights include Lucy van Pelt pulling the old football trick on hapless Charlie Brown for the umpteenth time, Snoopy's battle with a pesky uncooperative folding chair, Snoopy tossing plates of food at everybody, and Peppermint Patty blowing up at Charlie Brown at the unacceptable meal of junk food. Moreover, there's a cool jazz ditty called "Little Birdie" and a marvelously spirited music montage sequence depicting Snoopy and company preparing the food for the gala event. The whole thing ultimately culminates in a truly uplifting happy ending. The bright and colorful animation holds up pretty well. Vince Guaraldi's fabulously jaunty score further enhances the infectious merriment. Done with genuine heart and a certain sweet charm, this baby sizes up as a total treat that's essential annual viewing on Thanksgiving day.

Simply and always Nostalgic!!

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
13 October 2004

I could write the same review for every Peanuts Special I watch and own. Thanksgiving having just passed I watched the Peanuts Special on VHS. You really can't say anything bad about Charlie Brown and the gang. The stories tend to be slow, the jokes a little dry, but you can't help but laugh and remember how many times growing up every year you sat and waited for 8 PM for these specials to come on. The Peanuts are nostalgia for me and many others I am sure. This particular special revolves around good old Chuck getting down about another "stupid" Holiday. The kid needs anti depressants. This is only added to when Peppermint Patty and several others invite themselves over for Charlie Brown's thanksgiving feast. However, Charlie Brown is going to his Grandmother's for their holiday which means only one thing. He must turn to Snoopy for help. Snoopy and his good pal Woodstock whip out the best feast they can serve to a delightful music montage. It made me laugh outloud watching their antics. When Peppermint Patty discovers it's nothing but junk food ie. Popcorn and pretzels that has been prepared she blows her top. In the end everything is good and Linus in his unusual odd way makes everyone see the error of their ways and the real meaning of Thanksgiving. I swear that kid is an alien, he seems to know too much for somebody who sucks his thumb. I don't know what it is but the Charlie Brown cartoons have something hauntingly creepy behind them. It's the music and the art direction and the voices...but at the same time, they stay with you forever. I can't and will not put a number rating to this because as I said in summary this film and all other Charlie Brown classics are simply and always nostalgic!!

A child's cooking skills.

Author: Baldach from Arizona
24 July 2002

Throughout the years I have see the film a few times during the holidays. I would rank it as one of the top ten Peanuts films that Charles Schulz did. As a child I could relate to Charlie Brown whose cooking skills only include making toast and popcorn. After reading the comment about Woodstock eating the turkey, I noticed some thing else slightly distrubting. In this film short Charlie Brown invites all his friends for dinner. Yet Charlie Brown's only ethnic friend is Franklin, who is African American. Franklin does not say more than two lines in the film. Yet considering the film is nearly 30 years old this limited inclusion of multi-ethinic persons is understandable.

Around this time of the year.....

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
11 November 2005

Ever since the holiday special "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving",first aired on CBS-TV in November of 1973,this was one of many "Peanuts" inspired specials that brings out the kid in all of us,but at the same time have a message in between the lines. For years,from 1965 until 1998,the CBS Television Network has been televising these classic Charlie Brown specials every year including the titles based on the characters created by Charles M. Schultz. If you remember the specials that aired once annually which included the entire gang and the misadventures they encountered along the way. If not to mention the first four installments of the classic "Charlie Brown" theatrical features as well,which sometimes CBS would show on special holidays which included the first-ever 1969 feature,"A Boy Named Charlie Brown",then in 1972,with "Snoopy Come Home",and from there with "Race For Your Life,Charlie Brown",in 1977,and finally the last theatrical installment "Bon Voyage,Charlie Brown,And Don't Come Back",which was released in 1980. CBS would show these features on special occasions and around the holiday seasons as well,especially during Thanksgiving,Christmas,and Easter time. Not to mention,CBS also gave Charlie Brown and his faithful dog Snoopy their own Saturday Morning cartoon show as well which lasted for five years running and they would put out new specials based on this series. This would last on the Tiffany network for more than four decades. During the end of the 1990's,the change would come at a hard blow to the rest of Peanuts gang,which for certain end Charlie Brown's long association with CBS entirely.

All that would change drastically in 1998,when CBS stopped airing these classic "Peanuts" specials along with the rest of the entire Charlie Brown stuff. From there the specials switched networks too,this time from their years at CBS over to ABC,where the specials would aired annually on a yearly basis,not to mention ABC took over the entire production of the Charles M. Schultz's "Peanuts" specials which some new material was added with the already classic masterpieces. This phase took place after the untimely death of one of the greatest animators of all time when Charles M. Schultz,the creative force behind Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts gang,passed away. However,ABC still aires these classics to this day,on a annual basis. But getting back to "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving",there is one thing that I got to say about this special presentation....it is a bonafide classic that still holds up some 30 years later. I remember seeing this special for the first time back in the early 1970's,when I was small,but today I get a kick out of enjoying every minute of it when it comes on. It involves the story of Charlie Brown,who invites to Thanksgiving dinner the rest of the gang which includes Peppermint Patty,her best friend Marcy,Franklin (the only African-American character on the show),Linus and his sister Lucy,and others to Charlie's house for Thanksgiving dinner even though the Brown family has other plans. However,Charlie's faithful and resourceful dog Snoopy lends a helping hand and pitches in to help along with his sidekick Woodstock for support. But the funniest and probably the hilarious part is when the Thanksgiving dinner is not about turkey and mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce,but turns out to be buttered toast,popcorn and cold cereal---junk food!

This is when Peppermint Patty goes off on Charlie Brown and his guests about the service of the dinner which was supposed to be about Thanksgiving and not junk food! However,Peppermint Patty felt really bad about saying the awful things the made Charlie feel real low,and gets Marcy to apologize to him for her. This is when his faithful dog,Snoopy really saves the day. However he calls his grandma and really invites his friends over to his grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner. The moral of the story has a very important message for everyone. In this one the moral is that we are thankful for what we have and not to be concerned about what other people don't have. In other words,be thankful for what you got and sharing it with others during the Thanksgiving holiday. Also to boot in this classic special is the football kicking episode where Charlie Brown goes to kick the football while Lucy plays him every time for a sucker,which was always entertaining to boot. Watch it sometime!

A childhood classic

Author: babygiraffe123 from Canada
15 October 2005

I remember seeing A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving as a small child and loved it, although I never did and still to this day, don't understand why the adults always talked so funny. But nevertheless, it still makes me smile. It was on television last week on Thanksgiving Monday and my 5 year old watched it. The scenes with Snoopy and Woodstock made her laugh out loud. It was good to see her enjoying a cartoon that I loved in my childhood. It had been years since I'd seen it, so when it came on right after the Chipmunks Thanksgiving Special, I was surprised and pleased. Even better, it was followed by Garfield's Thanksgiving, which is another of our favorites. I collect Charlie Brown cartoons on DVD, as well as toys, and other memorabilia I can find. But I think my all time favorite Charlie Brown special was A Charlie Brown Christmas, my favorite scene being Schroeder playing the piano for Lucy and she asks him to play Jingle Bells. He plays 3 different versions and gets more and more annoyed until she cries, "That's it!", sending him flying.

Adorable little Thanksgiving cartoon!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
27 November 2014

We had a little Thanksgiving lunch get-together at work and an employee decided to play this cartoon short for some fun and laughs. I've never watched Charlie Brown cartoons growing up, and now that I've seen one, it was pretty good. All the adults in the room seemed to enjoy it for what it is - even though it is mostly geared towards the little ones.

Here, Charlie Brown is in a dilemma and finds himself scrambling to make a last minute Thanksgiving dinner when three of his friends called and invited themselves over. Brown relied on Snoopy to make the meal and what results is something we could all learn from - thankfulness and friendship. It's not a riveting or exciting story with adventures and suspense, but it is an innocent and charming cartoon short that includes, in addition to the dinner, some laughable moments from Snoopy and Woodstock. The animation was also pretty good.

It is a nice little movie for the entire family where, again, we could learn what it means to be thankful - especially during Thanksgiving!

Grade B

another charming Charlie Brown holiday special

Author: SnoopyStyle
26 November 2014

Charlie Brown and Sally are going to their grandmother's for Thanksgiving. Peppermint Patty calls and invites herself and then Marcie and Franklin to Charlie Brown's for Thanksgiving. Linus suggests Charlie Brown have two Thanksgiving dinner with the help of Snoopy and Woodstock. Peppermint Patty is angered by the lack of traditional Thanksgiving food but Marcie convinces her to apologize. Charlie Brown's grandmother calls and invites everybody to her place.

Peppermint Patty's voice by Christopher DeFaria is really rough and raspy. It's a little bit jarring. Otherwise, this is a charming Charlie Brown holiday special and it holds up well. It has the innocence of the simple cartoon drawings. Also it's a single story without the usual detours. This just has the sense of the impending Holidays that appears every Fall. I do wonder if there is anything wrong with Woodstock eating turkey.

Best of the Charlie Browns!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
15 December 2013

Really it is the best of the Charlie Brown specials. As really you can't ever go wrong without Charlie Brown young and old. As the Thanksgiving one is really the best one. Out there even the Christmas one.

Charlie and his friends get forced into Thanksgiving. With Peppermint Patty inviting herself and Marcy. As Charlie can't cook and has to rely upon Linus and Snoopy.

As they end up cooking toast, popcorn, and candy. As Linus tells the kids that come and got invited, about what Thanksgiving means. But Patty ruins it and hurts Charlie Brown's feelings.

Marcy goes in and apologizes for Patty and reminds him of Linus' words. Afterwards Patty does apologize. And that Charlie and the kids get invited over Charlie's grandmother's house, which is a condo while singing Over the River and Through the Woods.

Meanwhile Snoopy and Woodstock have their own Thanksgiving and Pumpkin Pie. You can never, ever, go wrong with Charlie Brown!

It's ThanksgivingTime

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
14 December 2013

Tenth animated special based on the cartoon strips of Charles M. Schulz finally gets around to Thanksgiving, as Charlie Brown and Sally are intending to go to their Grandma's house for the holiday, but somehow Peppermint Patty invites herself and some other friends over to Charlie's house, and he must frantically cook something to serve, so with the help of Snoopy and Woodstock, makes toast, popcorn, and pretzel sticks, much to Patty's annoyance! Enjoyable tale may not have the warmth and humor of either Christmas or Halloween, but can still hold its own as one of the best of these specials, though I'm not sure little bird Woodstock should be eating turkey...?

Dinner Time

Author: hellraiser7 from United States
7 November 2013

Believe it or not Thanksgiving is actually my second favorite holiday of the year if you can believe that. To me it's not just the delicious dinner we eat, but to me it's the company that you keep. This film is another childhood relic of mine and just like the holiday just never gets old, I'm an adult and I still watch it to this day.

There's really not much I can say about it, the animation is great well it's pretty much the kind you'd expect from the "Pennuts" comics but I wouldn't want it any other way. However what really drives there are as usual the characters as well as the music score with it. The music score is just superb, from the theme but my favorite is that upbeat piano score when their making Thanksgiving dinner.

And it just fun, funny, and touching seeing each of the characters go through the motions. The comedy is great as usual, from the infamous football kick scene which I find funny but a little sad at the same time, one day Charlie Brown just needs to kick Lucy in the face, sorry that sounded harsh but the amount of times she trick him will make anyone do it. And my favorite which is the fight with Snoopy and a fold able summer chair, it's one of the daftest fights I've ever seen, I can emphasize with Snoopy frustrations with those chairs those suckers can be a pain to unfold due to them sticking all the time, let alone don't always stay upright. But mainly just the concept itself is ridiculous it's hilarious what the heck does a chair have to be so teed off about anyway, why am I bothering to ask? But there is a little emotion involved as usual when you feel sympathy for Charlie Brown as he did his best to give Perperment Patty and company a dinner of some sort; hey he's not a color nary chief what the heck does Perperment Patty expect. But most of all just isn't entirely sure what Thanksgiving is really about.

It's got a good message about the meaning of thanksgiving. That it was never really about the eating, but that it's about simply being thanking that you've came this far in life and the company that is with you at the table.

Well, that's all I have to say so Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Rating: 4 stars