IMDb > A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Great TV special.

Author: iF.... (vertraeumen@mindspring.com) from U.S.A.
26 October 1999

I remember seeing "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" back in the 80s when I was just a child. Every Thanksgiving they would show this at night time, since I was around 6-9 years old I couldn't stay up late to watch cartoons. But my parents made exceptions in these cases. Heck, I even recorded this on BETA! Thats right those tapes that are half the size of VHS tapes! Now that I'm older I wonder where time went, one day I'm a kid sitting on the living room rug watching Charlie Brown the next day I'm in my room hearing the advertisement on TV for the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving holiday special. Since I saw this when I was a kid I must say I was scared of the last portion of this presentation, the part where Charlie Brown camps out of a house. Damn that scared me! All I can say is that this is a classic for anyone who saw this as a kid. What's wrong with those people that gave this a 1 rating?!?! Some people just have problems.

You're holding my hand, you sly dog

Author: Ann_Bowman_Invents from 90210, USA
31 May 2003

Charlie Brown almost gets depressed again. Another holiday is coming. That means more school-work. It appears as if this time, most everyone shares his idea of not making Thanksgiving about food, like Christmas was about commercialism. This time, old block-head doesn't have the time to be depressed. Because Peppermint Patty has invited herself and two friends along for Chuck's big turkey dinner. The problem is... there isn't going to be any dinner. He's going to his Grandmother's house for Thanksgiving. So, to fix things - instead of telling them the truth, he has Snoopy and Woodstock fix up a small supper of junk food. Priscilla (Patty) is not pleased and blows her top.

Probably my favorite of the Peanuts holiday specials, spare one with Charlie Brown falling in love - I'm not sure which. Why should this be my favored over the brilliant Great Pumpkin Halloween film or the nostalgic and brightly chilling A Charlie Brown Christmas? This time, it's because of the music. Not to mention Peppermint Patty is my favorite character. I named a cat after Lucy in real life, but Priscilla is definitely my favorite. The stand-out song "Little Birdy" really glows and the idea of Grandmother living in a condo is funny. *** out of ****

My Favorite of All the Peanuts Specials

Author: hfan77 from St. Louis Park, MN
24 November 2009

I have watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving for many years and of all the Peanuts specials that I have watched and reviewed for this website, this is my favorite. The opening scene where Lucy pulls the football away from Charlie Brown always cracks me up. If you watch it on DVD or tape it off the TV, play back the football scene in slow motion to see Charlie Brown in mid air.

As for the rest of the cartoon, I thought Peppermint Patty was bossy and rude to Charlie Brown, inviting herself, Marcie and Franklin to Charlie Brown's for Thanksgiving dinner, monopolizing their phone conversations and even worse, complaining about the nontraditional cuisine. She was also flirtatious toward Charlie Brown. There were also outstanding sight gags involving Snoopy and Woodstock and the scene where they get the food ready for the feast that's set to "Linus and Lucy." It proves that cartoon scenes can work well without dialogue.

I also liked the scene near the end when the kids are in the car and they sing "Over the River and Through the Woods" en route to the Brown's Grandma's condo for a real Thanksgiving dinner. Before or after you go over the river and through the woods for your holiday feast, watch this cartoon. You'll even learn about the holiday in Linus' Thanksgiving prayer.

Excellent holiday special which is very appetizing

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
14 November 2006

In my opinion, this is an excellent holiday special which is very appetizing. However, I couldn't bear seeing Snoopy and Woodstock having to endure all that torture. In addition, the thing that really makes this special worth watching is the score, especially "Little Birdie and "Linus And Lucy." When those songs are performed, I always get warm and tingly. I would have to say that's my favorite song of this special. If you ask me, Charles M. Schulz was a really good artist. In conclusion, I highly recommend this excellent holiday special which is very appetizing to everyone, especially all you fans of the comic strip who have not seen it. When you see it, prepare to smile, have a good time, and bon appetit.

Today is Thanksgiving. "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" is a must see.

Author: dsp21953 from United States
27 November 2008

Well, today is Thanksgiving and that means one thing to do, for certain that is. I must watch "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving." It has become a tradition for me for the last five years in a row and will continue for the rest of my life. You just can't go wrong with Good Old Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts gang. Watching this special brings the true meaning of Thanksgiving. As usually Snoopy steals the show. Thank you Mr. Charles Schulz for this and all the Peanuts holiday specials. Thanksgiving requires "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" year after year, it is simply tradition. Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the rest of the Peanuts gang on the holidays make the holidays more enjoyable.

America's Favorite Blockhead and his Friends Have Yet Another Holiday to Worry About!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
13 November 2002

CONTAINS SPOILERS

Charlie Brown and his friends are back! Remember how Charlie Brown had to deal with Christmas and Halloween? Now he's got Thanksgiving to worry about. He and his family will be going to his grandmother's for dinner but then Peppermint Patty called Charlie and decided to invite herself to dinner. Her friends Marcy and Franklin would be coming too. Charlie Brown just couldn't say no so he had to prepare a big feast in a hurry! He appointed Snoopy and Woodstock to cook while he, Linus, and Sally set up the table. Peppermint Patty, Marcy and Franklin arrived just in time for dinner. The meal was as follows: popcorn, toast, jellybeans, and pretzels. Patty was enraged and Charlie was disappointed but she soon apologized. Just then, Grandma called. Charlie told her of his predicament and she said to bring everyone along so when she arrived, they all piled into the car and sang "Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go". Charlie said the only problem with that is that his grandmother lives in a condominium. At home, Snoopy and Woodstock hold their own Thanksgiving dinner.

A pretty good Peanuts holiday special. There were others, like the Easter one where Linus tells everyone about the Easter Beagle, or the Valentine's Day one where Linus gives his teacher a box of candy and Sally thinks it's for her. Charlie Brown brought a brief case to keep all his Valentines in and winds up with diddly squat. Poor Charles Schultz, Peanuts creator, is no longer with us but it's good he was around long enough to see that his creation had become a national phenomenon!

Ah. The Good Memories

Author: I_Am_The_Taylrus from Minnesota
23 November 2006

SPOILERS

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is one of the many Holiday specials for the Peanuts. It is my third favorite. It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is my favorite.

The show begins with Lucy doing her usual football trick to poor Charlie Brown.

Charlie Brown gets a phone call on Thanksgiving. It is Peppermint Patty. She heard about Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving dinner. She invites herself over to his Thanksgiving dinner. The only problem is that the Thanksgiving dinner is at his Grandma's house. She also invites Marcie and Franklin. Charlie thinks he is doomed. Linus explains that if he is going to his Grandmother's house at 4:30, Charlie Brown could have two dinners. His first dinner could be for his friends, the second could be at his Grandma's. Charlie says he can't cook.

Snoopy and Woodstock set up tables in the backyard. After some mishaps they mange to get a ping-pong table set up.

Franklin explains to Marcie and Peppermint Patty that dinner at Charlie Brown's will be a little earlier. Peppermint Patty says that they are ready.

Snoopy spreads out a tablecloth on the ping-pong table. Then Linus, Charlie Brown, and Snoopy make dinner. It's basically buttered toast, pretzels, candy, and popcorn.

Snoopy puts plates and napkins on the ping-pong table. Snoopy and Woodstock go back into Charlie Brown's house dressed as Pilgrims. Charlie Brown explains that they can't serve dinner dressed like that.

Marcie, Franklin, and Peppermint Patty come to Charlie Brown's house. He takes them to the backyard and seat them. Before they eat Peppermint Patty says that they should say Grace. They sort of do. Snoopy then puts all the food on plates. While they are eating Peppermint Patty is outraged. She explains that a Thanksgiving dinner is made up of turkey, gravy, and cranberries. She says that it is not made up of popcorn and toast. Charlie Brown goes back into the house. Marcie says that Charlie Brown didn't even invite Peppermint Patty over. Patty tells Marcie to patch things up for her and tell him that she likes the dinner. Marcie does just that. Charlie Brown says that he feels guilty that he ruined everyone's Thanksgiving. Marcie says that Thanksgiving is not just about eating, it's about giving thanks. Patty comes and asks if he accepts her apology. He does. Then he finds out that he is late to go to his Grandma's. He calls her and says that he will be a little late. Grandma says that his friends could come with him.

They get into the back of Charlie Brown's car. They sing Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandmother's House We Go. Charlie say that the only problem with that song is that his Grandma lives in a condominium.

Overall, this is a great special.

holiday fun!

Author: AWERTH
31 October 2004

I have always enjoyed these "Charlie Brown" specials as

I called them...It always tells me a holiday will be coming shortly when i watch this on television. there is a weird quality to these specials...they are children oriented, but they seem to have a lot of strong messages

behind them for anyone of any age....like Linus's speech

about Massasoit--a young one who loves his blanket and

sucks his thumb, and to be so smart is like an oxymoron, a mature child..I'm sure we can all relate to one of the

characters in a way!

Around this time of the year.....

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
11 November 2005

Ever since the holiday special "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving",first aired on CBS-TV in November of 1973,this was one of many "Peanuts" inspired specials that brings out the kid in all of us,but at the same time have a message in between the lines. For years,from 1965 until 1998,the CBS Television Network has been televising these classic Charlie Brown specials every year including the titles based on the characters created by Charles M. Schultz. If you remember the specials that aired once annually which included the entire gang and the misadventures they encountered along the way. If not to mention the first four installments of the classic "Charlie Brown" theatrical features as well,which sometimes CBS would show on special holidays which included the first-ever 1969 feature,"A Boy Named Charlie Brown",then in 1972,with "Snoopy Come Home",and from there with "Race For Your Life,Charlie Brown",in 1977,and finally the last theatrical installment "Bon Voyage,Charlie Brown,And Don't Come Back",which was released in 1980. CBS would show these features on special occasions and around the holiday seasons as well,especially during Thanksgiving,Christmas,and Easter time. Not to mention,CBS also gave Charlie Brown and his faithful dog Snoopy their own Saturday Morning cartoon show as well which lasted for five years running and they would put out new specials based on this series. This would last on the Tiffany network for more than four decades. During the end of the 1990's,the change would come at a hard blow to the rest of Peanuts gang,which for certain end Charlie Brown's long association with CBS entirely.

All that would change drastically in 1998,when CBS stopped airing these classic "Peanuts" specials along with the rest of the entire Charlie Brown stuff. From there the specials switched networks too,this time from their years at CBS over to ABC,where the specials would aired annually on a yearly basis,not to mention ABC took over the entire production of the Charles M. Schultz's "Peanuts" specials which some new material was added with the already classic masterpieces. This phase took place after the untimely death of one of the greatest animators of all time when Charles M. Schultz,the creative force behind Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts gang,passed away. However,ABC still aires these classics to this day,on a annual basis. But getting back to "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving",there is one thing that I got to say about this special presentation....it is a bonafide classic that still holds up some 30 years later. I remember seeing this special for the first time back in the early 1970's,when I was small,but today I get a kick out of enjoying every minute of it when it comes on. It involves the story of Charlie Brown,who invites to Thanksgiving dinner the rest of the gang which includes Peppermint Patty,her best friend Marcy,Franklin (the only African-American character on the show),Linus and his sister Lucy,and others to Charlie's house for Thanksgiving dinner even though the Brown family has other plans. However,Charlie's faithful and resourceful dog Snoopy lends a helping hand and pitches in to help along with his sidekick Woodstock for support. But the funniest and probably the hilarious part is when the Thanksgiving dinner is not about turkey and mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce,but turns out to be buttered toast,popcorn and cold cereal---junk food!

This is when Peppermint Patty goes off on Charlie Brown and his guests about the service of the dinner which was supposed to be about Thanksgiving and not junk food! However,Peppermint Patty felt really bad about saying the awful things the made Charlie feel real low,and gets Marcy to apologize to him for her. This is when his faithful dog,Snoopy really saves the day. However he calls his grandma and really invites his friends over to his grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner. The moral of the story has a very important message for everyone. In this one the moral is that we are thankful for what we have and not to be concerned about what other people don't have. In other words,be thankful for what you got and sharing it with others during the Thanksgiving holiday. Also to boot in this classic special is the football kicking episode where Charlie Brown goes to kick the football while Lucy plays him every time for a sucker,which was always entertaining to boot. Watch it sometime!

Isn't it funny how some traditions fade away?

Author: Shawn Watson (gator_macready@yahoo.com) from The Underverse
29 November 2009

Thanksgiving is not really something that is acknowledged and certainly not something that is celebrated in Scotland, but I watch this TV special every year in the run up to Xmas just to get me in the mood. The cartoon begins with the usual gag where Lucy yanks the football away from Chuck. I guess he'll never learn to distrust women, eh.

But his main grief in this one is the fact that all of his friends invite themselves over to his place for Thanksgiving despite the fact he's going to his grandmother's for the celebration. Snoopy and Woodstock work together (and against each other) to prepare a slapdash dinner including toast, jelly beans and popcorn. Needless to say the rest of the Peanuts gang are far from impressed with the menu, though that doesn't stop Peppermint Patty putting the moves on Chuck.

All this talk of food has made me hungry.