IMDb > A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Great TV special.

Author: iF.... (vertraeumen@mindspring.com) from U.S.A.
26 October 1999

I remember seeing "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" back in the 80s when I was just a child. Every Thanksgiving they would show this at night time, since I was around 6-9 years old I couldn't stay up late to watch cartoons. But my parents made exceptions in these cases. Heck, I even recorded this on BETA! Thats right those tapes that are half the size of VHS tapes! Now that I'm older I wonder where time went, one day I'm a kid sitting on the living room rug watching Charlie Brown the next day I'm in my room hearing the advertisement on TV for the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving holiday special. Since I saw this when I was a kid I must say I was scared of the last portion of this presentation, the part where Charlie Brown camps out of a house. Damn that scared me! All I can say is that this is a classic for anyone who saw this as a kid. What's wrong with those people that gave this a 1 rating?!?! Some people just have problems.

You're holding my hand, you sly dog

Author: Ann_Bowman_Invents from 90210, USA
31 May 2003

Charlie Brown almost gets depressed again. Another holiday is coming. That means more school-work. It appears as if this time, most everyone shares his idea of not making Thanksgiving about food, like Christmas was about commercialism. This time, old block-head doesn't have the time to be depressed. Because Peppermint Patty has invited herself and two friends along for Chuck's big turkey dinner. The problem is... there isn't going to be any dinner. He's going to his Grandmother's house for Thanksgiving. So, to fix things - instead of telling them the truth, he has Snoopy and Woodstock fix up a small supper of junk food. Priscilla (Patty) is not pleased and blows her top.

Probably my favorite of the Peanuts holiday specials, spare one with Charlie Brown falling in love - I'm not sure which. Why should this be my favored over the brilliant Great Pumpkin Halloween film or the nostalgic and brightly chilling A Charlie Brown Christmas? This time, it's because of the music. Not to mention Peppermint Patty is my favorite character. I named a cat after Lucy in real life, but Priscilla is definitely my favorite. The stand-out song "Little Birdy" really glows and the idea of Grandmother living in a condo is funny. *** out of ****

My Favorite of All the Peanuts Specials

Author: hfan77 from St. Louis Park, MN
24 November 2009

I have watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving for many years and of all the Peanuts specials that I have watched and reviewed for this website, this is my favorite. The opening scene where Lucy pulls the football away from Charlie Brown always cracks me up. If you watch it on DVD or tape it off the TV, play back the football scene in slow motion to see Charlie Brown in mid air.

As for the rest of the cartoon, I thought Peppermint Patty was bossy and rude to Charlie Brown, inviting herself, Marcie and Franklin to Charlie Brown's for Thanksgiving dinner, monopolizing their phone conversations and even worse, complaining about the nontraditional cuisine. She was also flirtatious toward Charlie Brown. There were also outstanding sight gags involving Snoopy and Woodstock and the scene where they get the food ready for the feast that's set to "Linus and Lucy." It proves that cartoon scenes can work well without dialogue.

I also liked the scene near the end when the kids are in the car and they sing "Over the River and Through the Woods" en route to the Brown's Grandma's condo for a real Thanksgiving dinner. Before or after you go over the river and through the woods for your holiday feast, watch this cartoon. You'll even learn about the holiday in Linus' Thanksgiving prayer.

Excellent holiday special which is very appetizing

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
14 November 2006

In my opinion, this is an excellent holiday special which is very appetizing. However, I couldn't bear seeing Snoopy and Woodstock having to endure all that torture. In addition, the thing that really makes this special worth watching is the score, especially "Little Birdie and "Linus And Lucy." When those songs are performed, I always get warm and tingly. I would have to say that's my favorite song of this special. If you ask me, Charles M. Schulz was a really good artist. In conclusion, I highly recommend this excellent holiday special which is very appetizing to everyone, especially all you fans of the comic strip who have not seen it. When you see it, prepare to smile, have a good time, and bon appetit.

Today is Thanksgiving. "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" is a must see.

Author: dsp21953 from United States
27 November 2008

Well, today is Thanksgiving and that means one thing to do, for certain that is. I must watch "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving." It has become a tradition for me for the last five years in a row and will continue for the rest of my life. You just can't go wrong with Good Old Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts gang. Watching this special brings the true meaning of Thanksgiving. As usually Snoopy steals the show. Thank you Mr. Charles Schulz for this and all the Peanuts holiday specials. Thanksgiving requires "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" year after year, it is simply tradition. Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the rest of the Peanuts gang on the holidays make the holidays more enjoyable.

America's Favorite Blockhead and his Friends Have Yet Another Holiday to Worry About!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
13 November 2002

CONTAINS SPOILERS

Charlie Brown and his friends are back! Remember how Charlie Brown had to deal with Christmas and Halloween? Now he's got Thanksgiving to worry about. He and his family will be going to his grandmother's for dinner but then Peppermint Patty called Charlie and decided to invite herself to dinner. Her friends Marcy and Franklin would be coming too. Charlie Brown just couldn't say no so he had to prepare a big feast in a hurry! He appointed Snoopy and Woodstock to cook while he, Linus, and Sally set up the table. Peppermint Patty, Marcy and Franklin arrived just in time for dinner. The meal was as follows: popcorn, toast, jellybeans, and pretzels. Patty was enraged and Charlie was disappointed but she soon apologized. Just then, Grandma called. Charlie told her of his predicament and she said to bring everyone along so when she arrived, they all piled into the car and sang "Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go". Charlie said the only problem with that is that his grandmother lives in a condominium. At home, Snoopy and Woodstock hold their own Thanksgiving dinner.

A pretty good Peanuts holiday special. There were others, like the Easter one where Linus tells everyone about the Easter Beagle, or the Valentine's Day one where Linus gives his teacher a box of candy and Sally thinks it's for her. Charlie Brown brought a brief case to keep all his Valentines in and winds up with diddly squat. Poor Charles Schultz, Peanuts creator, is no longer with us but it's good he was around long enough to see that his creation had become a national phenomenon!

Ah. The Good Memories

Author: I_Am_The_Taylrus from Minnesota
23 November 2006

SPOILERS

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is one of the many Holiday specials for the Peanuts. It is my third favorite. It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is my favorite.

The show begins with Lucy doing her usual football trick to poor Charlie Brown.

Charlie Brown gets a phone call on Thanksgiving. It is Peppermint Patty. She heard about Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving dinner. She invites herself over to his Thanksgiving dinner. The only problem is that the Thanksgiving dinner is at his Grandma's house. She also invites Marcie and Franklin. Charlie thinks he is doomed. Linus explains that if he is going to his Grandmother's house at 4:30, Charlie Brown could have two dinners. His first dinner could be for his friends, the second could be at his Grandma's. Charlie says he can't cook.

Snoopy and Woodstock set up tables in the backyard. After some mishaps they mange to get a ping-pong table set up.

Franklin explains to Marcie and Peppermint Patty that dinner at Charlie Brown's will be a little earlier. Peppermint Patty says that they are ready.

Snoopy spreads out a tablecloth on the ping-pong table. Then Linus, Charlie Brown, and Snoopy make dinner. It's basically buttered toast, pretzels, candy, and popcorn.

Snoopy puts plates and napkins on the ping-pong table. Snoopy and Woodstock go back into Charlie Brown's house dressed as Pilgrims. Charlie Brown explains that they can't serve dinner dressed like that.

Marcie, Franklin, and Peppermint Patty come to Charlie Brown's house. He takes them to the backyard and seat them. Before they eat Peppermint Patty says that they should say Grace. They sort of do. Snoopy then puts all the food on plates. While they are eating Peppermint Patty is outraged. She explains that a Thanksgiving dinner is made up of turkey, gravy, and cranberries. She says that it is not made up of popcorn and toast. Charlie Brown goes back into the house. Marcie says that Charlie Brown didn't even invite Peppermint Patty over. Patty tells Marcie to patch things up for her and tell him that she likes the dinner. Marcie does just that. Charlie Brown says that he feels guilty that he ruined everyone's Thanksgiving. Marcie says that Thanksgiving is not just about eating, it's about giving thanks. Patty comes and asks if he accepts her apology. He does. Then he finds out that he is late to go to his Grandma's. He calls her and says that he will be a little late. Grandma says that his friends could come with him.

They get into the back of Charlie Brown's car. They sing Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandmother's House We Go. Charlie say that the only problem with that song is that his Grandma lives in a condominium.

Overall, this is a great special.

holiday fun!

Author: AWERTH
31 October 2004

I have always enjoyed these "Charlie Brown" specials as

I called them...It always tells me a holiday will be coming shortly when i watch this on television. there is a weird quality to these specials...they are children oriented, but they seem to have a lot of strong messages

behind them for anyone of any age....like Linus's speech

about Massasoit--a young one who loves his blanket and

sucks his thumb, and to be so smart is like an oxymoron, a mature child..I'm sure we can all relate to one of the

characters in a way!

Isn't it funny how some traditions fade away?

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
29 November 2009

Thanksgiving is not really something that is acknowledged and certainly not something that is celebrated in Scotland, but I watch this TV special every year in the run up to Xmas just to get me in the mood. The cartoon begins with the usual gag where Lucy yanks the football away from Chuck. I guess he'll never learn to distrust women, eh.

But his main grief in this one is the fact that all of his friends invite themselves over to his place for Thanksgiving despite the fact he's going to his grandmother's for the celebration. Snoopy and Woodstock work together (and against each other) to prepare a slapdash dinner including toast, jelly beans and popcorn. Needless to say the rest of the Peanuts gang are far from impressed with the menu, though that doesn't stop Peppermint Patty putting the moves on Chuck.

All this talk of food has made me hungry.

A typically delightful and wonderful Peanuts holiday TV special

26 November 2009

Scrappy and willful tomboy Peppermint Patty invites herself and several of her friends over for a Thanksgiving feast at Charlie Brown's house. Worried about being unable to provide a decent meal because of his lackluster cooking skills, Charlie Brown receives some much-needed help from the precocious Linus, the ever-exuberant Snoopy, and Snoopy's jolly pal Woodstock to whip up the best possible food for the grand occasion. Director Bill Melendez and Phil Roman, working from a very warm and witty script by Charles M. Schulz, expertly craft a sensationally breezy and snappy 25-minute cartoon romp that brims over with engaging characters (Linus in particular really shines as he explains the historical significance of Thanksgiving in fascinatingly thorough detail), deliciously dry humor, and a spot-on relevant message about the true meaning of Thanksgiving (it's all about friends and family instead of food). Hilarious highlights include Lucy van Pelt pulling the old football trick on hapless Charlie Brown for the umpteenth time, Snoopy's battle with a pesky uncooperative folding chair, Snoopy tossing plates of food at everybody, and Peppermint Patty blowing up at Charlie Brown at the unacceptable meal of junk food. Moreover, there's a cool jazz ditty called "Little Birdie" and a marvelously spirited music montage sequence depicting Snoopy and company preparing the food for the gala event. The whole thing ultimately culminates in a truly uplifting happy ending. The bright and colorful animation holds up pretty well. Vince Guaraldi's fabulously jaunty score further enhances the infectious merriment. Done with genuine heart and a certain sweet charm, this baby sizes up as a total treat that's essential annual viewing on Thanksgiving day.