IMDb > Brian's Song (1971) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Brian's Song

Brian's Song (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

It was an honor to cry at such a fine film

Author: Pat McCurry (acehighpat@aol.com) from Wilton, NH
18 April 2003

This is one of the best football films ever made. Yes, it's not that long, but it is great. Billy Dee Williams and James Caan were just starting out their careers and TV movies were still fairly new. This is a story of two opposites, one who was shy and kept to himself and the other who was cocky and confident. There would eventually see past their differences and become the best of friends. I like the chemistry that Williams and Caan had in this film. They made you belive they were Sayers and Pic. What was the part that made me cry? It was the scene where Gale has to tell the team before a game that Brian has cancer. Even if I have to force it, I love to cry at that scene. It's the best part of the film. The musical score is also great. The theme has a tone to it I can't describe. I tried watching the remake when it came out, and couldn't make it through the first 15 minutes. It was Disneytized for my viewing displeasure. In my heart, Williams and Caan will always be Sayers and Pic. No doubt about it.

Greatest made for TV movie ever made

Author: djpowell from Morgantown, WV
11 October 2004

In times of racial trouble, inner family strife, and complete distrust of your fellow man, this movie showed what the world would really be like if people got rid of "oneupmanship" and lived life for life itself.

I HIGHLY recommend the original version (1971)

The acting was not campy, there was nothing to be really showy about, the football clips were some of the best ever incorporated (they actually became part of the plot), and other male leads were extremely believable in their roles.

The females weren't too bad, either.

I cried......

Author: grahamsj3 from United States
20 December 2002

Yes, I did. Anyone who doesn't the first (and probably second) time they see it is not human. The film does a fantastic job of establishing a strong bond between the two lead characters, played by James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. Then, at the end, when Billy Dee says "I love Brian Piccolo..." I lost it! Blubbering! This is one outstanding film. If you decide to watch it, have your tissues handy towards the end!

A made-for-TV classic

Author: capitan_movie from Flushing, NY
4 June 2000

Start with the great musical score, add magnificent performances by the two leads and the entire supporting cast, an inspirational story, and great directing from Buzz Kulik, then add a terrific script. The result is the greatest made-for-TV movie of all time. The comraderie is exceptional, the dialogue is phenomenal, and every relationship rings true,

The Ultimate "Guy" Movie

Author: Popeye-8 from Nebraska
2 February 2001

The TV show "Just Shoot Me" once had a sub-plot involving the primary male characters being drawn to watching BRIAN'S SONG...and dissolving into tears by the conclusion--as well as commenting on why "men don't cry", although they should. The use of the movie is a brilliant move, as this truly is the ultimate Guy Picture, and worthy of its unofficial recognition as the greatest television movie ever made.

This was awesome......

Author: elizabethbennett from United States
17 December 2003

This movie was awesome. Had all of the ingredients of friendship, love, acceptance and breaking of racial barriers considering the era it took place in. One of the best. However, I do recommend that before viewing this, one gets 20 boxes of kleenex and a bottle of prozac, you are gonna need it.

An inspiring story of friendship and love...

Author: eustfam from Philippines
12 September 2004

I just love this movie! It is a story of 2 men--Gale and Brian...2 unlikely people to become the best of friends...The actors were well cast--James Caan and Billy Dee Sayers fit their roles to a tee. It is a film not only of friendship but also of love...a film of triumph of the human spirit. It is a story that transcends time and overcomes barriers to relationships, whatever they might be--racial, religious, or political. It challenges the viewer to assess his/her own prejudices and why it must be overcome. It is as timely as it was when it was first shown. A real winner but be prepared with a box of Kleenex when watching this very touching film. I saw a remake of this film quite recently but I think the original movie was much better than the remake.

A Standard After More Than 30 years

Author: juliafwilliams from New York, NY
22 October 2003

After more than 30 years, this movie has earned its place as the standard for all television movies that followed it. A great score, a great cast............it just does not get any better than this. That remake (2001) does not measure the quality or the warmth of this 1971 standard bearer.

YOU'LL LAUGH, YOU'LL CRY, YOU'LL WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL

Author: brianlion from United States
5 November 2002

I still remember sitting down with my family to watch "Brian's Song", the made for TV movie in 1971. I was 13 years of age, and my 3 brothers and I thought we were going to watch a sports movie. It's funny thinking back to that night, as all the brothers fought back tears during the final scenes. We jumped up at the end, and tried to act macho and pretended we all had colds and runny noses. Watching the movie today, it doesn't have quite the same impact, but it remains touching and dramatic. James Caan and Billy D Williams work well together. They act without any arrogance and tough-guy attributes they picked up later in their careers. The movie score wraps around the scenes to add to the poignancy without disrupting the mood. Shelly Fabarase is the perfect wife. It is a touching tribute to a ordinary football player, Brian Piccolo, who lead a extraordinary life. A updated version of "Brian's Song" attempted to capture the magic of 1971's version, but as is usually the case, the attempt falls short of the goal. The original does the best at mourning Piccolo's death, but most importantly, celebrating his life. It is a touchdown!

Second Best TV movie ever!

Author: damroncharles from United States
1 January 2005

Only Steven Spielberg's "Duel" is a better TV movie than this movie. Brian's Song proves that real men can cry! When my friends and I discuss this movie, each one of us has admitted that we cried during its three dramatic scenes. The one that does it for me, is when Billy Dee Williams' character Gale Salyers has to tell his teammates that James Caan's character, Brian Piccolo has cancer. You can almost sense that the two actors bonded during this film. The inter-mixing of NFL Films footage of both players works to the understanding the relationship they had. Possibly the best football and buddy flick of all time. Outstanding performances from all the actors. Watch it with someone you love.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]