IMDb > Brain of Blood (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Brain of Blood

Brain of Blood More at IMDbPro »

Disconnected, incoherent screenplay keeps this one from building any momentum (or interest)

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
18 June 2009

Any time a movie feature a dwarf or a midget in a prominent role, the odds are 10-to-1 that the director threw him in because he didn't know what else to do to keep the movie interesting. In this case, the featured little guy isn't all that bad - he manages to keep his dignity for most of his scenes (except the part where he drags the leading man down the stairs of the dungeon), but the movie itself uses him like a doggie chew toy.

The problem here is a common one with low budget exploitation movies - there's a germ of a decent idea in here, but the director and the screenwriter don't know how to develop it. A good director would take the various story elements - brain transplants, mad doctors with secret labs and a dungeon, car chases, fist fights, dim-witted monstrous Frankenstein style assistant, mind control, betrayal and conspiracy, etc...and make an exciting, involving film full of cheap thrills and fun.

Instead, what we get here is a bunch of people stumbling around and arguing in the doctor's lab, then a cheesy operation where the patient bleeds tempura paint, followed by some of the same people stumbling around and arguing in the doctor's lab some more, followed by another subgroup of the initial group driving around and having an accident, followed by a dungeon escape scene that is mostly about a woman putting her shoes back on, followed by a rooftop chase (the actual high point of the movie), followed by a confusing series of events where everyone in the movie apparently escapes from everyone else, followed by a lovely stroll in the countryside where everyone either chases, bumps into, attacks or escapes from everyone else AGAIN, followed by, well, not much else.

Somewhere in here is a scary peroxide blonde dressed in white, a well meaning heroic type who is sort of blandly good looking, a three foot lab assistant, a big lunk with a mass of melted rubber pasted to one side of his face, a kid who wonders into the middle of the movie to provide more of the "frankenstein factor", a brunette who sort of falls in love with the hero for no apparent reason, and the mad doctor himself,who must be the luckiest man in the history of evil super-villains, because nothing goes according to his plan, but things work out for him anyway... and all because he remembered to stick an electrode into the transplanted brain at one point in the operation.

This was by no means the worst movie I've seen, or even the worst exploitation movie I've seen, or even the worst badly made exploitation movie I've seen, but it just lies there, oozing cheapness and inattention to detail at every point, and there is no real reason for even bad movie enthusiasts to watch it.

Coming From Al Adamson, A Minor Miracle!

Author: ferbs54 from United States
23 October 2007

Since two of Al Adamson's previous monstrosities, "Dracula vs. Frankenstein" and "Horror of the Blood Monsters," both from 1971, are two of the very worst films that I have ever suffered through, it was with a distinct feeling of what I can only call cinematic masochism that I sat down to watch his 1972 offering, "Brain of Blood." And guess what? The impossible has happened, and I've finally seen an Al Adamson movie that I actually liked! While no one could honestly call "Brain of Blood" a good, well-made picture, at least it has a story that we can follow, hangs together fairly decently, and is actually fun and entertaining to watch, unlike the torture dished out by those previous films. The story here concerns one Dr. Trenton (Kent Taylor, the star of 1968's "Brides of Blood"), who successfully transplants the brain of Amir, leader of the fictitious country of Khalid, into a younger, stronger body. There is one catch, however: The only body available belonged to Gor, Trenton's hulking, imbecilic, acid-scarred servant. And that's when the fun and games begin! As if a deformed monster weren't enough, the film throws in a gross-out surgical sequence, a high-speed car chase, a well-choreographed rooftop dukeout, assorted murders, explosions, corpses, an over-sized spider and on and on. Three members of "Dracula vs. Frankenstein" return here: the maniacal little person Angelo Rossitto, who here delights in torturing some female prisoners in the basement; the blonde gargoyle known as Regina Carrol; and Zandor Vorkov, the blue-faced Dracula himself. Gor, it must be said, looks absolutely ridiculous, his scarred-puss makeup job resembling nothing more than a rubber bathing cap with a side flap. Still, despite everything, the film works, and coming from Adamson as it does, must be deemed a minor miracle. Now: Should I try his 1978 opus, "Nurse Sherri"?

Truly another enjoyable Adamson project!

Author: Brian Keith Allen (ballen011369@apex.net) from Fulton, Kentucky
27 April 2001

Another winner brought to everyone by the great Al Adamson. It's a must see for all Adamson fans. I enjoyed watching it throughly. I rate Adamson's film Dracula vs. Frankenstien number one in my book and this one is probably second or third. I really enjoy Adamson's work. It all starts off with a foreign leader dying of cancer. He knows an American Doctor who can transplant his brain into a healthy body and with plastic surgery can go back and rule his country like nothing had happened. After his death they take his body to the United States for the transplant. They remove his brain and send their friend Gor alias John Bloom to get a victim for the brain to be put in. But, he injures his victim's body to the point they can't do the transplant. So, the Doctor decides to put the brain into Gor. Gor is like a Lenny off of Mice and Men kind of dude who gets battery acid poured on his face by a bunch of deranged good old boy's. If you watch this movie there is a scene in it where Xandor Vorkov AKA Roger Engel is in a car that is being forced off the road by another one. Notice his really extreme facial reactions of being scared. I laughed my butt off when I seen it and maybe you will to. Well anyway when the transplant is complete the foreign leader is upset over his appearance and starts going off. And what it all boils down to is the Doctor has implanted a chip in his brain that can induce pain by the use of a remote device. The Doctor finally uses it to control him and tells him he wants to rule his country and captures and the leaders Doctor friend and puts the brain into his body. With plastic surgery he is leader all over again. And in the ending it shows him greeting his country. And appointing the Doctor some kind of extravagant medical title leaving you to be believe the Doctor is in full control of the situation. A true cult classic!

Not too good, but there are bloody brains...

Author: horrorbargainbin (warrenraccoon@yahoo.com) from hollywood, CA
4 July 2003

The film is not good by any stretch, but it's got elements sure to please the fans. A sadistic midget surgeon for one. There is a dungeon with chained women. I suppose the operation scenes are the coolest. I could not tell if the film used real operation stock footage, not that there are brain transplants in the real world. Well, I was not blown away, but I'm glad I watched it.

Seemed to Drag on Forever

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
6 November 2013

A man who goes by the name of "Amir" (Reed Hadley) is a rich and powerful leader of a country called "Kalid" and he is dying of cancer. Wishing to prolong his life he turns to an insane surgeon named "Doctor Trenton" (Kent Taylor) who guarantees him that he can transplant his brain from his diseased body into a healthy one. Of course, to do that Dr. Trenton needs a live human specimen and since there are no volunteers he sends a mentally challenged and seriously deformed henchman named "Gor" (John Bloom) out to procure one. Unfortunately, Gor fails in his assignment and so Dr. Trenton is compelled to use Gor as the recipient of Amir's brain. But things don't go as planned. Anyway, rather than disclose the entire story and risk spoiling this film for those who haven't seen it, I will just say that I don't recommend it to anybody but die-hard, Category-Z movie buffs. For starters, the special effects weren't very good and some of the scenes—like the initial surgical procedure or with the young lady named "Katherine" (Vicki Volante) wandering around in the dungeon--seemed to drag on forever. Likewise, I didn't especially care for the ending at all. Below average.

Awful

Author: Chris Pollard from Essex, UK
17 August 2005

I'm not sure I've ever seen a film as bad as this. Awful acting, All over the place plot, terrible special effects. There are some 'so bad its good' moments in here but not really enough to maintain interest. The woman who plays Tracey looks hideous. There are some fairly worrying scenes with a dwarf which leave you feeling ever so slightly violated. On the plus side the operation scenes are fairly amusing for the special effects as is the car chase where one car is "trying to force us off the road" without actually making contact. Guess the budget didn't stretch to trashing cars. Oh and what looks like a Postcard of the Taj Mahal is shown every time they cut to the fictional foreign country.

...As opposed to brain of mush....

Author: mark.waltz from United States
9 March 2016

It didn't take many brains to create this grind-house gore-fest which has some truly funny moments of delicious bad taste. The story is supposed to surround the leader of a Muslim country who needs a new body and ends up in a real madhouse that includes all sorts of Hollywood veterans whose primary goal it seems to be to make their absolutely worst movie. What they end up with is a total hoot, an amalgamation of political thriller meets science fiction mad doctor creeper to an obvious attempt to create an instant cult classic. Angelo Rossito, the temperamental dwarf side- kick to Bela Lugosi in Monogram potboilers of the 1940's, eats up his part with relish, spouting God awful dialog like a camp pro, garnering laughs every chance he gets. His role stands out over veterans Grant Williams, Kent Taylor and Reed Hadley.

Mixing in car chases, dumb hillbillies, captured damsels in distress and several other creepy types, this has a sequence where a young girl is drained of blood that strangely looks like Ragu. Other than the actor playing the dictator's right- hand man, the others playing Muslims do not look the part in the least, particularly the bleached blonde who is obviously his mistress. At times, this tries to sound profound and fails miserably. An obvious toy spider is made to appear to be a real one. With visual howls like this, you have to wonder if the writers were attempting to make a spoof because such moronic plot devices just don't seem to have been accidental.

Plot wise, this moves all over the place, developing so many different themes and moods that it seems like half a dozen different movies rolled into one. The operation sequences are rather gross, the face of what the dictator ends up looking like appears to be a combination of plaster of Paris and oatmeal. Hammy Rosito hadn't seemed to have had such fun since he danced across the table with a goblet in "Freaks". This ranks as being so bad that it comes off as irresistible, sort of like the wild animal that is so ugly, it's cute.

OMG- I remember this turkey!

Author: JoeB131 from United States
31 August 2011

It was one of those awful grindhouse rejects they used to fill Saturday afternoon horror movie blocks in the good old days of VHF.

I remember the midgets and the girl locked in the basement and all the other details, but obviously, the plot went over my head when I was 11...

But it was still a pretty awful movie. They had maybe ten minutes of plot they had to fill out with chase scenes, also some of the actors were only in here because they were sleeping with or friends of the producers... No other real explanation for it.

The plot points are confusing. Why would they need to find a body in America when they had a whole country of people willing to be this guy's replacement body. Who was trying to bump who off and why? Who cares...

Frankenstein meets Zombie Holocaust

Author: evansharkfan from United States
9 November 2006

This film revolves around an Arabian leader (Amir) who dies and wants to live on. So a Dr. Lloyd Trenton is being paid to transplant Amirs brain into a "willing" participant. But in the Doctors basement his dwarf assistant Dorro (Angelo Rossitto) drains young girls blood for the doctors purposes. So meanwhile Doctor Llyod pays a man to kill the people who assisted Amir into the country (Which is Reed Hadley, Grant Williams, and various unknown bodyguards.). Grant is the only survivor when his car crashes off the road. While this has happened the doctors other assistant Gor is sent out to get a body for amir and hurts him so badly Dr.Llyod cant operate. Meanwhile, Grant finds Amirs "girlfriend" Regina Carrol and tells her his story. Grant sees the man who drove him off the road and Dorro kills him. Then since Gor failed to get a body D.r Llyod puts Amirs brain into Gors disfigured body. Then Grant and Regina go to the Doctors lab an

------------------------SPOILERS------------------------- find out his secret. Soon Amir (Gor) are prancing around killing people and in the muddle of what I think is plot Dr.Llyod has a brain-ray gun which hurts Amir on command. It turns out Dr.Lloyd wants a country in which all scientists can work without law. So then Regina dies. and at the end Amirs new body (I think) say that it shall be a new country blah blah.

I still don't get the ending but overall this was a very enjoyable piece of smelly cheese.This film features Grant Williams in his second to last film roll. I recommend it for any fan of Al Adamson or if you like Brains.

4th Worst Sci-Fi Film EVER!?!?

Author: travisbickle13 from U.S.A.
28 June 2006

I felt compelled to comment on this film because it's listed as the fourth lowest-rated sci-film of all time on the IMDb. WHAT!?!? Sure, this movie is crappy, but it's HILARIOUS! It's not awful on an Ed Wood level, it's more surreal and uneven.

There are some classic moments in the film. The brain surgery is gross and great- and even nuttier when you consider that the film was rated PG! Gor chasing after his dolly before getting battery acid dumped on his face- "Mine! Gimmee!" Zandor Vorkoff's speeches at the beginning of the film- "Before Amir, Kali was but another weak nation struggling to break free from centuries of stagnant feudalism!" Angelo Rossito also has some great lines- "No, Gor! No!" "You want these keys, don't you, my pretties?" It is absolutely wrong that this is the 4th lowest-rated sci-film on the IMDb because it is ENTERTAINING. No matter how bad a film is, if it still manages to be weird, quirky, unsettling, or entertaining, it has merit and doesn't deserve to be dumped on and dismissed. I won't defend most of Al Adamson's films, but this one, along with Dracula VS. FRANKENSTEIN and BLOOD OF GHASTLY HORROR, are entertaining enough to make up for their awfulness.