IMDb > $ (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
$

$ More at IMDbPro »

Longest Chase Scene Ever?

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
7 May 2006

A two-hour bank heist flick with the final 20 minutes featuring one of the longest chase scenes I've ever seen on film. In fact, Warren Beatty and the two guys chasing him must have been Olympic marathon runners to keep up that pace for so long, racing through Hamburg, Germany.

This is a mixture of lighthearted and gritty material about an international robbery.

Joining Beatty ("Joe Collins") in the hijinks is a young Goldie Hawn ("Dawn Divine") and "Goldfinger" of James Bond fame, Gerte Frobe. Scott Brady and Robert Webber also give shorter-but- memorable performances. In all, entertaining but not real heavy in the brains department.

Nice to see this has finally been issued on DVD, and has a nice transfer.

Groovy heist flick...but what happened to the ending?

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
21 January 2001

American banking engineer, orchestrating the opening of a high-tech new bank in Germany, conspires to rip-off a gang of crooks and low-lifes who keep their loot in private boxes at the branch. There is quite a long set-up to the protracted chase in this film; luckily it involves a daffy, wonderful Goldie Hawn as a hooker/accomplice to thief Warren Beatty. Hawn is a living, breathing cliffhanger, you never know what she's going to do next. In the middle of the hysteria, there's a beautifully modulated moment where she tells Beatty about a screen-test she did for the movies ("First take, nothing. Second take, I dunno know...tears. Third take, I forgot my own name. And I made it up myself!"). The chase takes up about two entire reels, and it's been edited with hairbreadth timing. I also loved what first appeared to be a twist ending: someone dupes someone else, and then in turn gets duped. It would've been an awesome climax, but there's a weird tag at the very end of the picture (ostensibly to wrap it up with a bow) which is sort of a letdown. It seems to involve none of the participants--only their props!--which leads me to believe this was a post-production/last minute decision. Still, "$" (pronounced "Dollars") is funny, smart, and filmed in a cool, jazzy style that is no longer fashionable but certainly memorable. ***1/2 from ****

An unknown masterpiece!

Author: JimHammond from Brooklyn
16 October 2002

I loved this movie, and it is one of the more memorable movies I have ever seen. It has the perfect mix of character development, humor, drama, location, kooky characters, shady characters and plot twists. The chase scene climax (lasting about thirty minutes) is similar to that of "The Road Warrior" - something that keeps on going on and where you never get bored. Beatty and Hawn did their best work together in this flick, and it gives the viewer a snapshot of what it was like to be alive in the era of the early seventies. If you are looking to see a "lost classic", this movie will do it.

Decent Heist Movie

Author: (imdb@michaelbauers.com) from United States
31 December 2009

I like heist movies. This one is a bit different.

I liked the style of the movie a lot. The music and the camera work were pretty interesting.

I noticed some reviewers were confused by the plot. It's the viewers job to fill in some blanks. Some people will dislike that, others will appreciate that their intelligence is not being insulted.

The movie consists of three main sections. The intro, the heist and the getaway. Goldie Hawn is adorable in the intro section. Beatty does a nice job during the heist section. The getaway is the weak part of the movie, if only because it challenges my ability to suspend my disbelief. Some parts of it were cool though.

I think Beatty was convincing both as a security expert and thief. Hawn, as mentioned above is adorable (I admit I have always found her attractive.) Reasons to watch the movie - you like Beatty, you like Hawn, you like heist movies (though there are better,) or you like quirky 70s movies. The last item should not be overlooked, because there's a distinctive style in certain 70s movies that's no longer seen - for example the implication that sex and drugs and alcohol is simply a lifestyle, rather than a problem that needs to be addressed.

A Great Goldie Hawn Classic Film!

Author: whpratt1 from United States
15 July 2004

Enjoyed this film which had plenty of action and comedy along with lots of chasing around on frozen ponds, railroad trains, elevators, taxi cabs. In one scene a great deal of time is spend inside a large Safe Deposit Vault which keeps you glued to the screen. Goldie Hawn (Dawn Divine),"The Banger Sisters",'02, gives plenty of laughs along with Warren Beatty,(Joe Collins),"Town & Country",'01. who gives a great performance in almost every scene, especially on the Frozen Lake with a car chasing him all over the place. Scott Brady,(Sarge)performed a great supporting role trying to catch up with Joe Collins. If you enjoy the acting of Goldie Hawn and Warren Beatty and want to see a film produced in 1971, this is the film for YOU!

European heist film that's Fun!

Author: shepardjessica from sparks, nevada
10 July 2004

An entertaining Beatty/Goldie Hawn flick that really has nothing to say, but moves along like a freight-train and keeps your interest. Goldie Hawn was never cuter (except Shampoo w/Beatty) before she turned into Shirley MacLaine. Gert Frobe (Goldfinger) is befuddled and amusing. Beatty would make a great film the same year (McCabe & Mrs. Miller).

Don't expect much and you'll have a ball. Throw in Scott Brady (Lawrence Tierney's little brother) and other evil Germans and robbery becomes cool. I believe Richard Brooks directed this (In Cold Blood). He must have needed some fast cash. 6 out of 10. Best performance = Goldie Hawn.

Clever intelligent plot; well acted; A classic 70's movie

Author: imdb-5126 from United Kingdom
2 October 2005

This is a fast paced movie with a clever and intelligent plot. The first half hour appears disjointed but careful attention to the action reveals the skillful development of the characters and provides good insight into their nefarious activities. Beatty and Hawn excel as the couple defrauding the "mafia" with a clever and intelligent scheme to switch safety deposit box contents belonging to the "criminals" to their own deposit box. At the eleventh hour their plan is uncovered and the ensuing chase brilliantly portrays both the tension of the moment and the atmosphere as well as the seediness of Hamburg during this period. There are moments of good humour, pathos, and tension as the pursuers are systematically eliminated. The ending is perhaps one of the first occasions that the thieves have been allowed obviously to get away with it. Although now looking a little dated, Dollars none-the-less captures the realities of 1970's Germany. I highly recommend this film.

world's most exhausting chase scene

Author: blanche-2 from United States
16 August 2014

"$" from 1971 stars Warren Beatty, Goldie Hawn, Scott Brady, Gert Frobe, and Robert Webber. Filmed in Europe, the story is about a bank security expert (Beatty) who plans on robbing said bank -- but only the safe deposit boxes belonging to thieves who can't go to the police. He's helped by a prostitute (Hawn) who has entertained these guys.

Very good heist film, with the world's longest and most exhausting chase scene I've ever seen. You'll be ready for bed by the time it's over. Warren Beatty is terrific as the cool, self-assured security man who somehow remains calm in the face of adversity. Hawn is a riot as a former Las Vegas showgirl who is a nervous wreck about her part in the heist.

I would only say, at 2 hours plus, it's a little long for what it is. They could have cut as much as a half an hour and been fine.

heist with some plot holes

Author: Stefan Kahrs from Canterbury, England
22 June 2012

This is generally quite an enjoyable heist movie, though the plot (of the heist) has some enormous holes you can drive a bus through. The problem with the heist is first its conception: its main perpetrator should be pretty obvious to all affected, and the information that the heist actually took place would not simmer through to the police is totally unrealistic; the second problem is the sheer coincidence that a string of crooks not only all use the same set of deposit boxes, no - they also just happen to frequent the same prostitute - who then somehow gets together with a bank employee who just happens to be master safe cracker. Hm! I have less of a problem with the conduct of the final chase - which some other commentators complained about. The idea the pursuers would want to catch Collins alive to make sure of the money first is credible. Moreover, hitting a running person from distance with a pistol is no mean feat anyway - moviedom has distorted our expectations in that respect.

Puzzling and exciting

Author: Dan Franzen (dfranzen70) from United States
18 March 2015

In Dollars, clever bank-security guy Warren Beatty teams with a kooky call girl (Goldie Hawn) to steal from three disparate criminals, who have each chosen to store their ill-gotten gains within the bank's safe-deposit boxes. Beatty's Joe Collins is cool and methodical, and Hawn is a true delight as Dawn Divine, although the movie suffers from a lengthy run time and an ending that seems sort of a meaningless afterthought.

Collins works for a bank in Hamburg, Germany that is on the cutting edge of technological security. Among other things, the bank has - get this! - a 24-hour closed-circuit camera inside its safe, the better to monitor would-be evil-doers. Much is made of this awesome camera. Kind of makes one pine for the days when security cameras were a new thing.

At any rate, Collins and Divine have picked out three nefarious marks - a corrupt sergeant (Scott Brady), a Vegas mobster (Robert Webber), and a drug dealer (Arthur Brauss) - each of whom has deposited dirty money into a safe-deposit box in the bank. These boxes are much as they are today, although the bank employees very pointedly do not get to see what is in them; privacy, you see, is a big selling point for the bank wishing to attract more and more foreign interests.

The plan is to move the monies from the three boxes to Divine's own safety box. Plenty of planning goes into this, and it culminates with a wonderfully tense scene in which Joe, trapped in the safe, attempts the exchange. It's only a matter of time, though, before the various baddies discover what's happened, and there's a long, long chase scene - mostly on foot! - that eats up a chunk of film near the end of the movie.

Hawn is at her giggly, risqué best (this would be during her Laugh-In days), and Beatty stays true to type as the Man with the Plan, the cool cat. I particularly enjoyed how anxious Hawn's Divine is at her own role in the heist - for a phone call she must make, she has her lines written out longhand, and yet she still can only whisper them to the bank's manager, played by Gert Frobe (Auric Goldfinger).

The ending felt like it was lacking something, perhaps some panache or some cohesion. It's almost as if someone woke up in postproduction and realized there was no actual climax and then hastily wrote one in. In fact, after reading a synopsis on IMDb, I wondered if I'd seen the same ending - interestingly, the IMDb synopsis made even less sense than the one I saw.

Finally, there's the issue of the editing and/or direction - the former was too choppy, the latter too rapid. When your movie features an intricate plan, maybe it's best not to rush through every step, forcing your viewers to keep up. Even when we could keep up, it seemed as if some plot elements were missing entirely, leading to many questions left unanswered.