IMDb > "The Price Is Right" (1972) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The New Price Is Right"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Price Is Right" More at IMDbPro »"The New Price Is Right" (original title)

An Institution

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
9 September 2003

After over thirty years on the air, this I think it is right to call this show an institution. The Price Is Right is one of the few shows on television that is loved by young and old alike and that can be attributed to Bob Barker and the production staff who have done everything over the years to keep it fresh and innovative as well as exciting for the viewers. This is truly one show that I am proud to say that I grew up with.

The best game show on Television!

Author: Chris Morrow (morrowman2) from Pickerington, Ohio
13 May 2004

The Price is Right is without a doubt the best not to mention the longest running game show in the history of Television. I have watched the Price is Right ever since I was a little boy and I still watch watch it to this day. But, Here is what makes the Price is Right the best game show and that is none other then BOB BARKER! Bob Barker is the best host ever and he is the one that that makes the show the success that it always has been. I can almost a sure you that once Bob Barker either retires or dies that the show will never make it because no matter who they get to replace Bob the game show just would not be the same because Bob Barker is a one of a kind and there is only one of him!

Still Going and No Signs of Going Stale

Author: hfan77
25 December 2003

Now in its 32nd year on CBS, The Price is Right is still a hit with no signs of going stale. If you're a regular viewer, you'll notice that no two episodes are the same since there are 70 pricing games in the show's repertory and nine contestants per show.

There have been a number of keys to Price's success. At the top is Bob Barker. He is the Babe Ruth of game show hosts, treating the contestants courteously and masterfully putting them at ease when he sets the scene for what they could win next. Another key is that Price has all the elements that contribute to a hit game show. A simple format where anyone can identify with the price of merchandise and the home audience can play along. The pricing games such as Plinko and Lucky Seven are simple viewer-friendly games that also create drama. The big question for Price is will it be Burton Richardson or Randy West that will replace the late Rod Roddy? Both are very good announcers but I'm going with Burton based on his successful track record and experience. He was also the announcer on the short-lived 1994 version that was hosted by Doug Davidson.

However, this review cannot be completed without mentioning the man who created this classic, Mark Goodson. Seven years after the original Bill Cullen version was cancelled, CBS called him to revive Price but he felt the old game wouldn't work so he overhauled the show and after three years as a standard half-hour show, the network made a bold move in expanding Price to an hour. Since then, it became a true classic. It's too bad Goodson's gone, because he would have been very proud of his long-running creation where ordinary people COME ON DOWN!!!

A Priceless Gameshow

Author: Jdc102 from Southern California
11 July 2001

This show rules! Its really cool how a show that has been on since 1972 continues to do so well, and I think because its just really entertaining. They often have a lot of really good prizes, like some really good cars. I think this is a very enjoyable show for people who love to watch GameShows. I hope this comes to GameShow Network..

Thanks for Reading..

27 years and counting

Author: mcgee-8 from Oregon, USA
6 February 2000

If Bob Barker didn't exist, television would've had to invent him. His folksy and highly-controlled approach is slick, witty, charming, disarming and utterly appropriate for the populist realm of game shows.

Until "Who Wants To Be Millionaire?," you could safely assert that there was no more populist a game show than "The Price Is Right." The cross-section of people who "come on down" to play the game is as culturally diverse a melting pot as you'll find on television. And because of this, it is easy for the viewer to relate to the contestants, and to feel for their ups and downs.

Skillfully facilitating all of this is Barker, who is refreshingly old-school in his across-the-board respect for the contestants. And he doesn't have to strain to "sell" the pricing games to the viewers -- most are clever, challenging and enduring.

One of the interesting elements about "Price" is that a contestant can be inept as a pricer, but if they're lucky enough, they could still advance to win the "showcase" at the end of the show. The "anything can happen" element this creates helps make the show even more interesting, if occasionally frustrating. (It seems unfair to disqualify an excellent showcase guest that is over by a few hundred, while the "winning" guest is under by several thousand. But those are the rules.)

Cheers to Mr. Barker, and to Rod and "the beauties."

LONG LIVE THE PRICE IS RIGHT!

Author: anonymous from MD
7 June 1999

I guess I am a Game Show fanatic! I have just finnished commentnig on Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! I love to watch the Price is Right on days off from School and over the summer. I like seeing the prizes and the reactions you get from people when they win something. It's a great show and I am so glad that CBS still shows it.

The best game show ever, now with Drew Carey as host!

Author: Alex0006 from United States
26 November 2007

Ah, The Price is Right. I've been watching this show since I was 2, so that's 17 years as of this writing. And I've seen quite a lot of ups and downs, but none that inspired so much drama-whoring from fanb01z as the events that have taken place recently. What is their problem!?! The problem is Bob Barker. He did the show so long he started to blend in with it. Bill Cullen? Dennis James? Tom Kennedy? Doug Davidson? Who were THOSE has-beens? The fans only want Bob. Which is a shame, really.

To better understand why this show is so successful, you have to understand the times. Game shows were in their height back in the '70's and '80's. CBS Daytime was pretty much dominated by game shows. And game show hosts were game show hosts! No Howie Mandels and Ryan Seacrests here; game show hosts were people who actually knew what they were doing and who could interact well with contestants. And there were a lot of them available due to the fact that there were so many game shows.

Strangely enough, though, there weren't any shows like TPIR being made. Sure, there was Let's Make a Deal, but it wasn't even close. So, when TPIR was revived after being off the air since 1965, it truly was "The NEW Price is Right"! People loved it because all you had to do was show up and give the interviewer guy (currently Stan Blits) a convincing enough argument, and you could walk out with a brand-new car and/or some furniture! Fast forward to 2007. By then, game shows were pretty much dead. Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! were the only other surviving shows besides TPIR left from the "good old days". And the only other game show that could touch them in terms of greatness was Who Wants to be a Millionaire. True "game show hosts" were a dying breed. Also, The Price is Right was starting to stagnate in the eyes of the casual fan, partially because Bob installed himself as executive producer in 1987 following the death of the previous E.P., and Bob wanted to keep that "traditional" look to the show. Nothing was being updated aside from the host's hair color. Which, in the world of artistry (I'm a cartoonist), is a cardinal sin.

And, then...on October 31, 2006...it happened. Bob Barker, the World's Greatest M.C., finally said that the time had come. Roger Dobkowitz and the Fremantle Media crew were now being put in the incredibly difficult position of trying to replace him. But, seriously, how do you "replace" Bob Barker? There would be no way they'd find a host good enough.

But they were going to try. And they were finally going to give that show that fresh update it had been aching for since the August 1975 overhaul.

Enter Drew Carey. It sure seemed like they were going out in left field when they picked him, as his only prior experience was Whose Line is it Anyway. And as much as I LOVED that show, it and The Drew Carey Show were sharp contrasts to the much more family-friendly Price is Right. In my eyes, at the time, he seemed more suited for a Match Game revival! But, after only a month, it's becoming very clear that he fits this show like a glove (even though he got a rough start initially), and he actually makes it fun to watch again! The way he ties those supplies of grocery products to items up for bid ("'Cause everyone knows you need a fork and a knife to eat your V8!" ROFL!), the "golf announcer" persona he takes in Hole in One or Two prior to a contestant's putt, and his humorously lame attempts to copy Bob that end in failure ("We can't start that range finder again for 37 minutes! ...Uh, hours!") all breathe new life into TPIR. But as much as I like Drew, it seems that for many (or at least the vocal), he is made of epic fail. 'Cause he isn't Bob. 'Cause they think that Bob, Todd Newton, and Rich Fields are the ONLY ones who can do TPIR.

And then there's the thing with the studio overhaul. The pastel curtains, the restoration of the light green border to the Contestants' Row podiums, the new Showcase podiums, the blocky Turntable, the kitschy doors, Golden Road no longer having its dots, the prospect of the show traveling like Wheel of Fortune does, and Rich saying that the show is a Fremantle Media production at the end. In the name of "tradition" and the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra, the fans have again whined about all this stuff.

These so-called "fans" don't really want THE Price is Right. They just want THEIR Price is Right. You know, the 1983-1992 Price with the purple, red, and orange Turntable, green carpet, and really bland white doors? Yeah. And they think of Fremantle Media as the devil. And few "Loyal Friends and True" are willing to credit the guys at Price for trying something new.

But I am. Long live Drew, and here's to another five years, at the very least!

One of the best game shows in TV History. Hosted by the classy and legendary professional Bob Barker!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
15 June 2007

Come on Down, but need I say more this is a long running TV classic that millions of Americans loved each and everyday! So good you have a loud and cheering audience and contestants are selected to make bids on prices of showcase items for then a chance to compete at higher prices and win big money! And many of the games and items shown are tough, but it's so interesting to try and price items. Bob Barker always made it watchable, he's a legend so classy and professional his voice and hosting is classic he was such a hard worker for so many years. A final note the showcase models were fantastic to watch also it made the male viewer take his eye and mind off the prizes for awhile at least especially when the screen showed sexy beauties Nikki Ziering or Dian Parkinson. Really a daytime TV legendary classic!

From unmissable to unwatchable

Author: David Melo (meloda) from Oregon, USA
20 October 2010

In the Bob Barker days, this show as an absolute 10. Bob Barker was very charming, entertaining, caring about the contestants, and just fun to watch. Announcer Rod Roddy made it all the more fun with his great sense of humor and wonderful talents. Then, things started to go down hill when Roddy's health deteriorated and sub-announcers made it boring. Luckily, Rich Fields was a good replacement announcer.

As everyone knows, Drew Carey replaced Bob Barker in 2007 when Barker retired. It has never been the same. Drew is a comedian, not a game show host announcer. Now, even fields is gone, having been fired by the fools who couldn't see he was the only good thing left. The models are still pretty, but they don't have the charm the old ones did. The spirit of that show is really gone. Worse yet, the efforts to see the show in person are a nightmare. One must wait in line outside for hours, go through countless screenings and checks, and wait too long. The selection is extremely unfair, as they pick contestants on how you look in a very brief pre-screening, instead of fairly drawing names out of a hat. Security is very rude, and it is so loud in the studio--it's hard to even hear yourself think.

Bob, you are sorely missed. In Rod We Trust to make the show comeback someday with a much better host than Drew Carey, and boot new announcer JD Roberto. Then, maybe loyal friends in true will be able to watch the show again. For now, the spirit of the show has died and is no longer worth watching if remember the past three decades and before to compare it to.

Next Host Calling- One More Emmy For Bob

Author: getyourdander from United States
16 December 2006

Time has robbed us of the greatest TV game show host - of course I mean Bob Barker. Yes, he has retired while he is still young at heart to all of us TPIR fans. He is a good piece of the reason this show is so successful. His off-beat sense of humor always comes through- imagine Rosie O'Donnell to replace him? Bob is still toying with us. Now I heard my old buddy Drew Carey might be the guy. I hope so, Drew would be good as long as Mimi(from his old show) isn't a new model.

People, namely audience & contestants are the rest of the reason. It is watching these people & their reactions when they win that makes this show a success too. This show has a formula that never goes stale. The audience is always diverse & have a special magic created only by the camping on the sidewalk outside CBS.

Bob Barkers job is as close to a real Santa Claus as you can get. In the last few years, the rotating models formula has proved that all you need from the models is to look good. The announcers are now numerous during the shows run- from Olsen to Proddy to Burton & now to Rich.

After attending two tapings, live, the show is done just as quickly as it airs on television, only during the breaks Bob talks with the audience taking on all questions. There were no re-takes by Bob when I finally saw him live as he is really smooth & professional. The production team is amazing & very professional & courteous to everybody.

After 35 years, the show is still a joy because we like to watch happy people & enjoy Bob Barker. I am ready to replace him, & I am a little younger. I'd love to be a real life Santa Claus too. CBS has been kind enough to review my offer, but since I have kept my talents well hidden, they have turned me down.

I have been accidentally honored by CBS as Drew Careys first show airs on my birthday.

I went to Hollywood during May & was on camera May 31st. Even though it is nice there the Price sets are looking pretty worn. I'd want a new studio, sets & move the show closer to my home town if I hosted. Visit my original home town in my review of the movie "Saratoga Trunk" here on IMDb.

Thank you CBS, Drew Careys debut as host is on my birthday, October 15, 2007 on air. Good Luck Drew, you beat me out of this job fair & square.

My new show closing to replace Bob Barker is : "Help control the political population, have all your politicians spayed or neutered, Good bye everybody!"