M*A*S*H (TV Series 1972–1983) Poster

(1972–1983)

150 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Outstanding television, mostly.
grendelkhan29 June 2003
I've found many of the comments about this series to be quite amusing, particularly the ones bashing it for "shoving" a liberal agenda down viewers throats. Given it's success for 11 years, I don't think the audience seemed to agree with that assessment. Quite simply, the show was one of the best written, best acted, and most entertaining shows in television history. Yes, it wore out its welcome in the end; but, it is a masterpiece that later shows rarely measured up to.

I have no great preference for one season's cast over another. Each character was unique and had something to contribute. When we lost the bumbling, but loveable Henry Blake, we got the stern but loving Sherman Potter. Both were the C.O., but each was a different person, a smart move by the creators. The same is true for Frank Burns and Charles Emerson Winchester III. Burns was a neurotic, vindictive, childish fool; while Winchester was an arrogant blowhard, but one who could hold his own with Hawkeye. Burns was incompetent, while Winchester was an outstanding surgeon; just ask him. Characters were missed when they left; but, they were not replaced with doppelgangers. That is part of the reason this show lasted so long.

The show did take on a more serious tone in the later seasons, but not entirely. There are plenty of laughs right up to the end. Those serious shows were often some of the most memorable, and they kept the series from becoming stale. With that said, they did tend to resort to Hawkeye's mental problems a bit too much, especially in the farewell. You can argue that a character like Hawkeye, with his passion for preserving life, was ripe for mental breakdowns; but, in reality, he probably would have been shipped home by the second breakdown.

The show is not perfect (it lasted 8 years longer than the actual war) but it comes far closer than most. It seems to be fashionable to bash popular shows and movies after their days is over. Part of this is a new generation trying to establish their own identity and dominance. Well, I didn't like my parent's movies, shows and music when I was younger; until I actually watched them and listened to them. Some of it turned out to be quite good, some not. Real quality stands the test of time. MASH will be around far longer than most of what I see on tv today.
130 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'll never forget that day
Varlaam20 April 1999
... that day in 1975, when we were watching our favourite TV show, "M*A*S*H", "we" being big brother -- that's me! -- and little brother. "M*A*S*H" had always been our favourite, probably because it seemed so grown-up, but also because it was so irreverent (a word we wouldn't have used back then) and smart-alecky (a word we would have). And so funny. It was tough to say which was the top episode. The one with the wounded Luxembourg soldier? (And the crazy Turk, of course.) One of the ones mentioning our very own Canadian troops? Maybe the one about Capt. Tuttle, graduate of the Berlinisches Polyteschnicum, and the best friend Maj. Frank Burns had ever had? Or possibly any episode even alluding to the wacked-out Col. Flagg?

Anyway, this was an important day because Col. Henry Blake had received orders to ship back home to the States. We were feeling pretty sad; we really loved Henry. Hawkeye and Trapper were always putting things over on poor Henry, but Henry always took it with good humour. And probably a little wisdom, and common sense. So Henry had been sent home. The show went to commercial. We were both feeling a little glum. We were sitting quite close to the television; you had to adjust the controls by hand in those days. The show came back from commercial. Radar came into the operating room. "The plane containing Col. Henry Blake", if I may paraphrase from memory, "was shot down over the Sea of Japan. There were no survivors." My brother was to my left. We just sat there with our mouths open. Then we ran to tell our parents what had just happened. I can still get a little choked up thinking about it 25 years later. That was the first death I ever experienced in my "family"; the show seemed that real to us at the time.
160 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pierce, Trapper, Hunnicut, Radar, thank you... we will miss you always
mango_man22 August 2000
Without any doubt, this is the best show ever made. The writing is incredible, and the plots are very relevant to any society. Showing the worst of man to the very best of man, this show very well described the human condition. With deep drama, and good comedy, this show takes the audience through the ups and downs of life, while showing us the horror of war, yet leaving us with hope, knowing that there is good in humanity after all. The interaction between the characters is amazing, everyone becoming a family, and something wonderful being birthed in the midst of something horrible: war. Yet, even with the anti-war message, they refrain from bashing on soldiers (as most anti-war people tend to do) and they express pride in the bravery of them, while hating the need to fight.

All in all, this is the best show ever made, and I am deeply sorry that it did not run a few years longer.
93 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Forgotten Time
admj200412 December 2000
The TV show M*A*S*H proves that laughter really is the best medicine to cure any wounds. This movie provided humorous insight to an otherwise overlooked time in American society. Every character provided a different perspective on the evils of war with their uses of satire. The script writers use satire to provide a look at the evils of war. I have seen the re-runs of this American classic series and I still find them hilarious to this day. I am so pleased that television stations decided to re air this otherwise forgotten show. I am glad that the directors and producers of this show depicted an otherwise forgotten time in American history. And I am sure that the veterans of the Korean War are happy that this show was made to show their experiences in this war and made their trials known to the public.
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
MASH STILL ROCKS
Simon A. Conder12 April 2004
In the UK the MASH series has been released on DVD.

I know that this is just opionon but I think that the show was and still is just amazing. So many times people in the UK think that Amercian comedy is to sweet and syrupy.

If that is the case MASH is the one that proves them all wrong. I used to watch the show as a teenager and loved it. At the end of series 3 Henry leaves and that is just so well written and well acted. That is one of the best testaments I could ever give to a TV show, you grow to love the character and personally I cried the first time and I cried again when I say it today.

It is a totaly fantastic show and it is clear why it ran for so long. I doubt that anything like this will ever be seen again.
77 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of a kind
Op_Prime6 January 2000
M*A*S*H is truly a one of a kind show. It combines both comedy and drama to form a rare type of show that comes along maybe once or twice every decade. You know, the ironic thing is that the series itself lasted more than three times as long as the actual war. M*A*S*H will always have a life in reruns.
36 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fabulous comedy but with serious message of war's horror
roghache25 April 2006
This is surely one of the most popular TV series of all time and deserving of every bit of its popularity. Set at the 4077th MASH unit during the Korean War, it chronicles the assorted ill adventures, wisecracks & pranks, and touching relationships between the surgeons, nurses, and various support personnel.

The comedy revolves around the wise cracking but compassionate surgeon, Captain Benjamin Franklin ('Hawkeye') Pierce. His original surgical colleague buddy and partner in pranks, Trapper John McIntyre, is later replaced by Captain BJ Hunnicut. Fellow surgeon, Major Frank Burns, is a neurotic idiot and the usual butt of their jokes. The married Frank is carrying on a torrid affair with Major Margaret Hoolihan (Hot Lips), the unit's Head Nurse. Frank is later succeeded by Major Charles Winchester III, a pompous & arrogant snob from a wealthy, aristocratic old Boston family. The commanding officer of this wacky but competent surgical unit is the rather indecisive but affable Colonel Henry Blake, who is killed en route home to the States when his chopper is tragically shot down. He is succeeded by Colonel Sherman Potter, a strict but lovable father figure with a penchant for horses. Other regulars include the boyish & lovable Corporal Radar O'Reilley, the company clerk with a sixth sense for choppers bringing in wounded, Corporal (later Sergeant) Maxwell Klinger, who, desperate for a military mental discharge, dresses in assorted women's fashions to prove his insanity, and Father Francis Mulcahy, the quiet, kind, & rather bumbling Catholic priest and company chaplain.

The jokes are endless with constant banter between the various characters. Klinger's fashions always elicit laughs, as he sports his legendary extensive ladies' wardrobe of evening gowns, nun's habits, peasant skirts, even an elaborate Statue of Liberty costume...all in combination with his hairy face and legs. Radar is warm, fuzzy, and adorable, everyone's favourite innocent young kid brother, as he sleeps with his Teddy Bear, misses his mom & Uncle Ed back on the farm in Iowa, is delightfully naive about relationships with women (i.e. sex), and sips grape knee highs while his colleagues all prefer stronger brew (sometimes from the officers' own personal still in their tent). As for Father Mulcahy, it is heartwarming to view a clergyman cast in such a kind, caring, unselfish, and totally sympathetic light. Although always devout and noble, this priest nevertheless experiences his own inner conflicts.

However, Hawkeye is the real star of the show, absolutely charismatic and appealing with such a kind heart beneath that witty & cynical exterior, as he womanizes practically every nurse within sight. As the series progresses, he experiences his own personal dramas, which include coming to grips with his own alcoholism. The episode is extremely moving when Radar berates Hawkeye (his idol) for being drunk during surgery.

I definitely prefer the later seasons with the more highly developed three dimensional characters, BJ, Potter, and Charles as opposed to the earlier shows with Trapper, Henry, and Frank. Trapper is a one dimensional adulterous trickster; I actually find his character tedious and unsympathetic. By contrast, BJ is totally endearing with his determination (despite temptations) to remain faithful to his distant San Franciscan wife, while also acutely missing being part of his little girl's early years. Henry is lovably incompetent but interesting only from the point of view of his touching relationship with Radar. On the other hand, Colonel Potter is a real leader, army strict but fatherly and with a heart of gold. Also, the insufferably pompous yet actually very human, insecure, & rather lonely Charles is so much more interesting than the idiotic, adulterous Frank. Frank's character grows boring after a handful of episodes.

Furthermore, Margaret's character is much better developed in the later episodes after she dumps Frank, when she becomes a more three dimensional individual herself. I love the episode where she longs to feel accepted by her nurses and included as one of the group with their bull sessions and illicit fudge making antics; it really shows Margaret's vulnerability. Also, some interesting chemistry develops periodically between Hawkeye and Margaret during the later seasons.

A tip of my hat to every single one of the magnificent stars...McLean Stevenson (Henry), Wayne Rogers (Trapper), Mike Farrell (BJ), Henry Morgan (Potter), Larry Linville (Frank), Loretta Swit (Margaret / Hot Lips), David Ogden Stiers (Charles), Gary Burghoff (Radar), Jamie Farr (Klinger), William Christopher (Father Mulcahy), and especially Alan Alda (Hawkeye).

Of course, despite the almost non stop laughs, the series features by sharp contrast, an ongoing deadly serious theme revolving around the horrors of war. The medical personnel constantly quip and play tricks so that they can cope with the horrific injuries and deaths they are forced witness on a daily basis. It's a message that is brought home in every episode, but through the clever use of humour. Thus it comes across as an extremely well crafted serio-comedic series.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
SPOILERS Just like good scotch...
WickednessIsAMyth25 June 2004
My comments are borderline spoilers, so I thought I would put that in there for safety's sake.

It gets *better* with age.

M.A.S.H. was spectacular, in part, because it did come in on the tails of the factual war the show's fictional setting was supposed to precede...but, there was more to it.

The characters were, in fact a good mix overall. Of course, this is where the scotch point gets brought up. It got better the longer it went.

I liked Larry Linville, and I'm sure it was a blast to work with him, but as far as replacements go, I preferred Stiers overall. Mostly because of the differences in the characters. Frank was funny mostly because he was such a loser (and his play with Loretta Swit) and he made us laugh with that idiocy. Stiers created a whole different dynamic with the group. He was something Hawkeye and B.J. could play with -- because he would play back in his own way. Frank could never do that. He would just come back with some stupid comment in which he would mix his metaphors and Hawkeye and Trapper (or B.J.) would laugh at him.

This, of course, brings us to the changeover from Wayne Rogers to Mike Farrell. It, admittedly, wasn't a very smooth transition and was rather obvious but...Trapper and Hawkeye were too much alike (in my opinion) so there really wasn't a straight man, per se. B.J. provided a kind of balance that Trapper never could. Of course, B.J. had his own kind of fun, but in a much more subtle (and in my opinion, fun) way. Whenever Hawk would play a prank, you would *know* it was him. Whenever B.J. would prank it would start out as Hawkeye's fault, but then he would get pranked and suddenly everything was thrown out of whack. Which made life fun.

I have no complaints of either McLean Stevenson or Harry Morgan -- I liked them both and they both fit in -- I didn't see either as a mistake, nor did I particularly prefer one over the other. They were too different to even begin to compare.

And Radar...I'm not sure how to feel about Radar. It was funny that, when you watch the reruns, in the beginning Radar would get a lot of the jokes that Hawkeye and Trapper would pass back and forth. He just ignored them or acted offended...and then it seemed that, as time moved forward, he seemed to get *more* naive, not less. You didn't really notice it when it was running but when you watch the reruns...it becomes far more clear.

In the end, my general rule of thumb is...watch 'em and figure it out for yourself who and what you like best. I happen to like Farrell better than Rogers, and Stiers better than Linville...and I have a penchant for Morgan, for now. Tomorrow, I might like Stevenson better, so I reserve judgment.

I like them, all eleven great years of it. Some were better than others...some were funnier, some touched you more. In addition, I didn't know a lot about the Korean War, like most people, I brushed it off as a non-war; a 'Police Action.' Then, when I first started watching M.A.S.H. it made me look deeper and I started to research it. It was a war; people died, countries fought, men were lost. It was a war. I never would have ever done that had it not been for this show.

But mostly, I watched (and still do watch) this show because it made me laugh.

WickednessIsAMyth
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still Funny After 30 Years
Brian Washington10 March 2003
This is still one of the funniest shows on television, especially the first four seasons when they still had a broad sense of humor. To me the glory days of M*A*S*H ended with the departure of Larry Linville (Major Frank Burns). After his departure, especially in the final three years, the show became more and more issue oriented and pretty much lost me until the classic finale. Other than that, it was still a great show.
37 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This series shows you how to roll with the punches
calvinnme10 December 2010
That is, this series started out in 1972 to capitalize on the antipathy people had towards the Vietnam War, plus it blended well with the anti-establishment theme of the CBS prime time lineup as well. Then something horrible happened - that is for those financially backing the show - four months into production the Vietnam War effectively ended. Also, it was announced the draft would end. Poof. There goes the show's reason for existence. This is where the show "rolled with the punches". Rather than just dry up and blow away as an artifact of a time that had come and gone, it explored new avenues and ways to stay relevant. It explored friendship, maintaining family ties when far from home, and the shock of sudden death. At the end of eleven years, when the show called it a day, you had two characters that loathed each other in the beginning of the series practically declaring their love for one another, although they knew in peacetime it could never be.

If you ever decide to go whole hog and buy the complete series, have patience with it. The first three episodes are not that good - the humor is very forced and were it not for the laugh track you might not get that a joke had just been told. But it does get much better rather quickly. Back in 1972 network shows were allowed time to get better. Now some network bean counter just pulls the plug and drags out some reality show replacement.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I voted 10, and no one can change my opinion.....
Arthur17 January 2007
I voted 10, and no one can change my opinion, because even we are in Russia love MASH very much. My first time when i saw, there was a Hawkeye writing a letter(the first one) to his Dad, and i liked it soooo much ....

Now, 6 years later, i watched all series of MASH at least 4 times, and i'll be damned, if i don't want to see all series another time.

The sitcom have one thing that "Friends" and "Simpsons" don't have - the feel of reality. Because you see the WAR. WAR that can kill you, no matter, if you are a military or an innocent civilian, man or woman, old or young, no matter of your religion.

When i write this message, i remembered one text in quotes of M*A*S*H* (you can find it on this site IMDb.com)

____________________________________________

Hawkeye: War isn't Hell.War is war, and Hell is Hell. And of the two, war is a lot worse.

Father Mulcahy: How do you figure, Hawkeye?

Hawkeye: Easy, Father. Tell me, who goes to Hell?

Father Mulcahy: Sinners, I believe.

Hawkeye: Exactly. There are no innocent bystanders in Hell. War is chalk full of them - little kids, cripples, old ladies. In fact, except for some of the brass, almost everybody involved is an innocent bystander.

___________________________________________

Without further comments, i just love M*A*S*H*.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rerun heaven found in MASH
verite-216 March 1999
As a youngster, I missed the original run of MASH, mainly because I wanted no part of popular trends (a la Daria). Everyone was watching MASH, so I didn't. After the show ended in 1983, I began to see the reruns at night. What that show did for my appreciation of sharp, fast-paced humor cannot begin to be chronicled here. Let's just say that Alan Alda's incredible wit played a bit part in my own professional development. I may not ever get to meet him, but I would like to use this forum to thank him for making me understand that life is too short to be taken too seriously. Considering the Korean War context of the series, this may be especially true. I am somewhat sorry I didn't get to see the show back in the 70's, but as an adult, I can really appreciate its message and would like to herald it as perhaps the funniest TV program ever. Three cheers to all the cast and crew that made MASH possible. Keep showing the reruns, and I'll keep watching them. Even though war is unacceptable, MASH couldn't have been done under any other circumstances. Rerun heaven exists, and its name is MASH.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In my opinion, the greatest show in history. Deep and meaningful.
(NOTE: There are spoilers for the episodes 'Abyssinia, Henry', 'Sons and Bowlers', 'Welcome to Korea', 'The Life You Save', and 'Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen'. Other episodes are mentioned but in general terms and are not, I believe, spoiled. Also, there's a quote from 'Fade Out, Fade In'. )

'Too late' for this show, I was born twenty years after it made its debut.

However, M*A*S*H, in my opinion, is the 'best' show.

Based to a limited degree off of the movie, which in turn was based off of the book, M*A*S*H branched and became its own by dumping the movie and the book entirely. It was then that the characters began to grow, and even in the early years, the 'Henry/Trapper' era, seasons 1-3 (which has been critiqued for it's one-dimensionality), the characters began to differentiate themselves from each other and grow into realistic people with both good and bad sides. Even early on, they made mistakes, they lost friends, opportunities at love, and in some cases, their families. On the flipside, they gained an extended family, made friends, and did good deeds. Even then, you felt compelled to sadness when bad things happened to these characters and happy when they did good things and were rewarded for them. Pretty good for slapstick.

By that third season, the jokes had turned from drinking and women, which previously overruled other jokes, and went instead to the situation on a whole. There was a decline in the writing as far as season three goes, though partially because, by then, Wayne Roger had sadly been nearly written out of the series, though the touching 'Check-up' episode was devoted to his character.

However, 'Abyssinia, Henry', the final episode for season three, is, debatably, more sincere and heartwrenching than even the finale that came eight years later. The episode in its whole was gut-twisting, as for not the first, but perhaps the most depressing, time, reality came full force and revealed that bad things happen to good people.

As season four came, there was the gap of not only Henry but also of Trapper to fill. This was carried out relatively well by the introductions of Potter and B.J., though I consider seasons four to five to be the 'settling in' period of these characters, and so the writing, which had the potential to be strong with Blake and Trapper, lacks there as well. Frank had become three-dimensional and had begun to fade back and forth between 'paper cutout' and 'person'.

By season six, Frank was also gone, and with the introduction of Charles, the series was back up to speed. The cruelty that had taken place with Frank was dropped as Charles' character wouldn't stand for it; he commanded too much respect. Interestingly, it was this command for respect that seemed to have him receive the most disrespect from the fellow doctors, particularly Pierce and Hunnicutt.

Charles seemed to be given the least-- with a snobbish attitude and he was also seemingly unfit for the situation, not for lack of surgical skills, but instead for how highly he valued his skills ('I do one thing, I do it very well, and then I move on') but he quickly fell into place with the 4077th and was given morality, which was more than could be said for Frank.

With the introduction of Charles came the definite disappearance of the slapstick comedy of before. From seasons four and five it had begun to fade, and by season six, it was gone (with a probable exception of the later episode 'A Night at Rosie's', which didn't change the characters personality but changed the humor back to the sort of the Henry days so that it seemed off-kilter for the episode and the case).

The characters continued to grow, and so did the show. It became more of a dramady, but could easily fall on either comedy or drama without being poorly done. The characters responded realistically and changed themselves and their beliefs by new information. They took their blows and they dealt with them, even if it meant that they had to change their outlook on themselves, others, and the life around them.

There was a kinship that was almost painfully close at times during up to and around season nine. Many episodes in season nine were terrific getting-closer types of episodes, deep, thought invoking. The season's close, 'The Life You Save' particularly is thoughtful and haunting in the events of deaths, and especially in the events of the death of a loved one (even a loved one who you never really got to know).

Seasons ten is 'tired';'Sons and Bowlers' is one of the last real friendship episodes in my opinion; in which Hawkeye and Charles compare lives and realize that while they may dislike each other's personalities, they respect each other. Though it doesn't change them outwardly past that episode, within that episode they gained thoughts of themselves and each other, walked in the other's shoes, and if it went no further, that day it meant everything.

Season eleven, too, is tired and heavy. The most disappointing part of season eleven is the series finale; rushed and packed into one episode with no leading-up period (unimportant to previous episodes, but would have been helpful in the case of 'Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen'.) It had some of the best and some of the worst scenes in the show's run; some deep and emotional, and then directly afterwards turning to closer to illogical and hokey. However, the most memorable and touching scene of the episode, and perhaps the series itself, is the final scene. Looking down, we realize a strange sadness as the series draws to a close the message that shortly before was doubtful in coming:

Goodbye
Flashback.
ØA9 August 2006
I remember that my parents used to watch MASH when I was a kid. It was my dads favorite program. So long ago that we had a B&W TV. As kid I alway wanted to become a doctor, so every Saturday I waited with excitement. Most of the time I was disappointed because there wasn't enough operations, organs or blood. I sure didn't get the jokes because I was too young and English isn't my native language (icelandic is). Now, grown up and become a doctor and English as my 3rd language, I finally get the jokes. Ironic humor is what I like. Sometimes Alan Alda gets a bit much to silly. The Danish TV reruns MASH, 2 episodes pr morning from 8-9, and on my days off, after I've sent the kid to the daycare center, I make a good cappuccino, and chill over MASH. I must say the first half of the series were better. I think I will buy the whole series on a DVD when they stop showing it on TV. Its funny and it also brings back good memories from childhood days.
Television History
arvie8818 April 2006
This series lasted an amazing 11 years, the Korean war (that is the main theme of the series) lasted only 3 years, so you can imagine how popular this series was and still is.

The cast was top-notch, Alan Alda who played the main character 'Hawkeye' accepted the role only hours before filming and he was the star of the cast, alongside Wayne Rogers, Loretta Swit, Mclean Stevenson, Larry Linville, Jamie Farr, Gary Burghoff (who played 'Radar' also in the film) and the replacements that arrived later in the series. (David Ogden Stiers, Harry Morgan and Mike Farrel) and Edwar Winter, who featured in some episodes.

The characters were very different, Frank Burns and Maj.Houlihan were army fanatics, then there was Klinger, a psycho who wanted to get out of the army by wearing woman's clothes and pretending to be crazy. 'Hawkeye, 'Trapper' and 'BJ' were top-notch surgeons, who tried to cope with the whole situation the best they could and with some humor.

Henry Blake was a leader but actually he wasn't a leader, but just 'one of the guys' from a Poker game to a lecture, everyone loved Henry for the way he was. Col. Potter was a regular commander who was a skilled leader with good humor.

'Radar' was the company Clerk who knew when Choppers were coming and he knew what someone needed before they asked him for it.

Charles was someone from the upper class who slowly became part of the M*A*S*H outfit.

Col. Flagg; a great psycho who saw a conspiracy when there wasn't one.

It is difficult to tell what M*A*S*H is all about, there are so many episodes, but the main thing is that people try to cope with difficult circumstances and they try to make the best out of it.

There is humor and drama portrayed in the whole series, there are classic episodes, like 'The Interview', 'Life Time', 'Abbysinia Henry' and the last episode 'Goodbye, Farewell and Amen' that had the best TV viewers rating in history. But also some funny episodes, like The Joker Is Wild...
Greatest Sit-com ever
eternaldom3 May 2003
Without a doubt, the funniest, most relavent, touching and endearing TV sit-com and possibly the best TV show ever. Think about how long it ran, how classic all the episodes are and how heartbreaking the finale was. This how could make you laugh, cry, get angry at the situations and characters like none other. I mean REALLY make you laugh, cry, get angry, disgusted etc. From the boyish Radar to the suave Hawkeye to the sexy yet tough-as-nails "Hot lips" Houlihan to the annoying and outrageous Frank Burns and Maj. Winchester. The cast was excellent even after a few changes in main members. Such as when McLean Stevenson left in 1975 to be replaced by Harry Morgan as Colonal Potter. This show still makes Me laugh like almost no other. The only comparable show I can think that may be close would be Cheers. But even that can't a hold a candle to the depth and drama this show was filled with.
The Show to End All Shows
airbornegirl1625 January 2003
I remember watching M*A*S*H when I was in the eighth grade. I was only one year old when it went off the air so I watched a few episodes during the summer and when I had been suspended from school. I used to ask my dad was Klinger a little on the "you know" side and he explained about bucking for a section eight. Well it's almost eight years later and Klinger is all man to me and M*A*S*H is my life line. The show that get's me through those bad days when I feel alone. My sorority calls me Hawkeye b/c when I'm not drinking a martini I am plotting a good prank for someone to pull. I will forever love M*A*S*H for all the happiness it brought to me. I still remember the first time I saw "Aybisynna Henry". I think I spelled that right. It made my cry when Radar came in with the kind of news that leaves you without speech and breath. Henry made me laugh if only for a short time due to the fact that that episode was the first I saw. After awhile I was in college and M*A*S*H was on again. I started watching and from then on there isn't a day when you don't hear "Suicide is Painless" blasting in my room. Here is to M*A*S*H. You bring smiles to my face and joy to my heart and I am grateful to you.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best series of all time
raysond8 November 2002
To some who may think that this show should be somewhere in the top ten percentile of its class,then it should be forever it will remained. For the 11 seasons that it ran on CBS-TV(1972-83)this show was nominated for an unprecedented 99 Emmy awards(and won several during its run on the network)and it was a show that not only was superby written in parts but it also blended mirth,mayhem,and a serious message in between about the conflict of laughter in the horrors of the Korean War. The show's best seasons(between 1972-75)were the best conceived for television especially its tragic episode where MacLean Stevenson's character was eliminated from the show and also gone from those seasons were Wayne Rogers and Larry Linville. However,the numerous changes took place during the 1975-76 season where Harry Morgan came on board as Colonel Potter and Jamie Farr as Klinger and from there these two stayed on throughout the series run until its final emotional episode in 1983. The show's last couple of seasons really caught wind was during the liberalistic views and sometimes draught commentary from star Alan Alda(who wrote and directed several of the episodes). But the dialogue between unforgettable characters are standard classics. Noticed the scenes with characters Hawkeye,Hot Lips(Loretta Swit),Radar(Gary Burghoff-who was in the original movie version and the TV series),Major Frank Burns(Larry Linville),and Klinger.

The show spun a spinoff called "After MASH" which only ran for one season on the same network in 1983 which some of the producers were trying to save a gem but it was let go by CBS in 1984. Very sucky series.

A great movie to an great TV show. The End.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I have seen it and love it.
texaslover881 August 2002
I've seen the M*A*S*H shows and absolutly loved them. They are harlious and unique. You can't tell one show from the next. The actors and actress show different expressions to one and another. And when are hard they lean on each other for support. I don't think I have seen any other show better than M*A*S*H. They are really great. You should see them for yourself.
Pure Genius
microtd28 July 1999
M*A*S*H is pure genius. It successfully combines comedy with drama, which very few television series can do. I commonly find myself quoting funny lines from the show. Its angles on medicine during war creates so much feeling for the characters that you feel that you're there, even for people who were born after the Korean War. It shows the human condition under stressful situations, and still has lines that would make anybody laugh.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Humorous and serious at once - just great!
xara20 June 1999
M*A*S*H is the best TV series ever made, it has really made an impression. Using black humour must have been the only way to get through the day for most soldiers, and it gave me an idea of how awful the war must have been. Definitely a great TV series filled with humour and jokes that makes you laugh every time.
Ahead of its time
hayden-813 April 2002
There's probably not much I can add to what's been written about this television series down the years. What I can say is, having watched most of it again on cable TV, what really strikes me is how ahead of its time it was in terms of its humour and scriptwriting. I'm a big fan of TV and film of the seventies, but none of my other favourite sitcoms of that decade come close to MASH in terms of maturity. I've never thought of it as a laugh out loud kind of comedy, but rather as one that provoked quiet chuckles. And there's nothing wrong with that.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"There has to be a cure for the common war"
bigpurplebear19 February 2002
"There has to be a cure for the common war." This quote (Alan Alda as "Hawkeye" Pierce, MD) best states the theme common to both "MASH" (the movie) and "MASH" (the TV spin-off).

This, in many ways, is the only thing common to the series and the movie which spawned it. The movie (and the novel which inspired it) is much more savage in its outrage against a war and a governmental system which exemplifies "man's inhumanity to man" and at the same time expects medical practitioners to support it; doctors and nurses (both of them sworn to duty, not only by the Hippocratic Oath but by an oath to the Armed Forces) strive to repair their patients and, wherever possible, return them to duty for further savagery (an echo, perhaps, of "Captain Newman, M.D.?"). This TV series, however, rises beyond the initial sense of outrage and presents a possibility as to where the various characters might have gone with their outrage.

There is as yet no cure for the common war. There will, most likely, never be. This particular TV series, however, dares to posit the belief that there may be, at least, a means of coping and -- once we've got that straight -- a means of hoping.