IMDb > "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids" (1972) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

You're Like School During a Fire Drill...Nooo Claaaass!!!

Author: cairn6 from New England
17 May 2004

I LOVED THIS SHOW!!!! Who else could retell episodes from his youth in animated form better than Bill Cosby? Between the laughs, messages, stories, and songs, "Fat Albert" is entertainment in its highest form for both kids and adults alike. I know that if it were to run on TV again, I would make strong efforts to watch. Some of the most memorable moments came from the back and fourth sibling rivalry between Rudy and Russel....are they not believable characters or not? But the messages conveyed in each episode had the ability to stick in my mind. When dear old Uncle Monty passed away, the writers honestly presented the issue of death in a caring and real manner. And who can forget the "Scared Straight" episode where the gang got in trouble with the law and had to meet prison inmates face to face. That episode scared me straight too! All in all a terrific show which should be put back in circulation to at least benefit today's kids.

Learning from each other while we do our thing.

Author: blackarachnia2
20 April 2004

"Hey, hey, hey! It's Fat Albert, And I'm going sing a song for you and I'm going to teach you a thing or two. We'll have a good time just me and all of my friends. Learning from each other while we do our thing. Na na gonna have a good time! Na na gonna have a good time." "This is Bill Cosby. Stay tuned for music, adventure, and fun and you might learn something before it's done so let's get started okay? HEY! HEY! HEY!" "Na na gonna have a good time! Na na gonna have a good time."

This was one of my favourite cartoons growing up and I still love it. :) I learned a lot from this show just be watching. Divorce, drugs, how to rescue someone after they've had a heart attack, and difficulties in being a young mother. Thanks Mr Cosby. I really had a good time watching this cartoon and good luck with the Fat Albert movie. :)

Hey, Hey, Heeeeeey! This show ruled!

Author: dootuss from PA
16 January 2002

What can one say? It is one of the best shows ever to air on Saturday mornings. Bill Cosby sure whipped up one heck of a show. I liked it because there was always a lesson to learn, and a moral. I think it was really unique since it was based on Bill Cosby's childhood living in Philadelphia, and that it had an inner city edge. It was pretty funny too.

I myself think this show should be back on the air. I haven't seen an episode in a long time, and I think Cartoon Network should air it. That or Bill Cosby putting the show on VHS or DVD. They really should put this back on tv. because I think kids today can benefit from a show like Fat Albert that teaches lessons instead of shows now at days that just entices kids to get their moms, or dads to buy toys and get nothing much out of these shows in the learning range.

They really should put this back on the air. 10/10.

Best Saturday Morning Cartoon show of the 70's

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
23 January 2001

In the late 1960's,and throughout the 1970's and 1980's for that matter, Lou Scheimer and his partner Norm Prescott crank out a ton of cartoons for Filmation productions during the time. They were some that were in fact down right awful,and some that were very successful indeed(like their animated version of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek,and The Archies) to name a few. But the one that blew them out of the water and perhaps one of the better Saturday Morning cartoon shows that had a minority in a starring role was that of "Fat Albert". There was some criticism during this show's run,but when it was on CBS,it garnered more awards and praises then any children's show ever produced. It was the show that broke the mold and the quinessential animated show of all time. As a kid growing up,I couldn't wait for it to come on. Each episode had the kids in usual predictments,and after the band would sing a song regarding the lesson they learned. However,me and me friend had a debate on who was singing those songs. We knew that Bill Cosby was the voice behind Fat Albert,but we it was a unknown singer that did the songs.........From its premiere episode in September of 1972 to the final episode of the series in September of 1985,this was the show to watch. However,the years on CBS were from 1972-1979,and when the network cancelled "Fat Albert",the series went into syndication from 1979-1985,under the title,"The New Adventures Of Fat Albert". Bill Cosby was not only the star of the show,but served as executive producer,executive in charge of production and also as the educational consultant for the series. Repeats of the show ran every Saturday Morning from two decades(1970's and 1980's)and later on in syndication markets.

It was a great show. However,their were many specials produced that were good including the riveting "A Fat Albert Christmas" and others. It a crying shame that this series isn't on Cartoon Network or FOX family channel or the Odyssey network,since the show had family values. It would be nice if Bill Cosby would release these episodes on videocassette or DVD(as a box set..they did with the animated version of Star Trek). Great show from the groovy 1970's!!

"Na, na, na, gonna have a good time..."

Author: grendelkhan from Xanadu
28 March 2004

This is one of the iconic Saturday morning cartoons of the 70's. Based on Bill Cosby's stand-up routines about characters in his old neighborhood, the show featured a group of inner city African-American kids hanging out, singing a song, and learning a thing or two. The comedy was good and the show lively. I didn't get to see it often, as it was broadcast on a channel that we couldn't tune in well (this is in the stone age before cable), so I had trouble keeping up with who was who. It was Filmation, which meant lots of stock footage, but they were creative within their limitations. And unlike the 30 minute commercial cartoons of the 80's, they had real educational value.

With the Cartoon Network and Boomerang showcasing the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons, we could really use an outlet for some of Filmation's old work. The problem is, so many of their shows featured licensed characters that I don't think they owned much of their work. I wouldn't mind seeing these and other Filmation shows on dvd, like the Groovie Goolies, Star Trek, Flash Gordon, and Tarzan.

Cosby At His Best

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
10 August 2003

This is probably the finest effort by Bill Cosby, even better than the Cosby Show. This show managed to teach valuable lessons without being overly preachy like other show's that came out around the same time (Isis, Shazam etc.). Also, the show had memorable characters such as Russell (based on Cosby's own brother), Weird Harold, Dumb Donald and, of course, Fat Albert. This will always be one of the great series in the history of Saturday morning programming.

...you may learn something before its done

Author: Don McCullen from Colorado Springs, Colorado
23 December 2002

When Bill Cosby told the audience that they may learn something before the show was done, he really meant it. "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids" was a perfect fit with Lou Scheimer's philosophy in Children's TV. In fact it was the most successful show for Scheimer's Flimation Production company in which many of the shows they produced had educational elements to the show and most of time very cheesy story writing.

Fat Albert was down to earth. The show was based on Cosby's childhood and some of his stand-up routines about Fat Albert. In the show Albert and his friends would learn about life and how to better their lives and those around them. Their were frequency live-action cut aways in which Cosby himself would deliver some commentary about what was happening in the story. At the end of the show a song was featured that reinforced the lesson in the episode.

By the late 70's the show was retooled and ending song was replaced by Science Fiction shorts which featured a space hero called the "Brown Hornet" which was seen at the beginning of the show. The Hornet shorts featured an educational message to Fat Albert, his friends, and the real life audience. That message was reinforced in an everyday situation that Albert and his friends would deal with. Cosby continued with live-action cut aways as in the original version of the show.

Flimation may have not been the greatest production company when it comes to kids TV, but they did have a few great shows under their belt. "Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids" was one of them. In fact their were the best of Flimation's best

Hey, Hey, Hey!

Author: James Tindall Welch (ToonBoy-2) from Newburyport, MA
25 September 1999

I was at my local video store and found Fat Albert on video. It looked good, so I decided to rent it. Bill Cosby does the voices for himself, his brother Russell, Fat Albert, Dumb Donald, Rudy, and Mushmouth. My dad watched it with me and told me it was a TV series when he was younger. Later, I rented the Fat Albert Halloween Special. I liked that, too. Look for this series on video. I recommend it to all Bill Cosby fans.

the best black cartoon of the 1980s

Author: leighabc123 from Portsmouth, Virginia
1 September 2001

I remember watching this cartoon in the 4th grade. I had to finish my homework before 5:30 when it came on. Every episode back in the days, they either sang a song at the end of the cartoon or showed the Brown Hornet or Legal Eagle at the beginning of the cartoon. It took them 100 years to bring Fat Albert back. And they just started selling DVDs of SOME Fat Albert episodes. There are still some episodes that I have never seen and some episodes that I haven't seen in 21 years! The movie was nothing like the cartoon. No bickering between Rudy and Russell that we saw every episode of the cartoon. And if anyone saw the movie before seeing the cartoon, they are like school at midnight, "NO CLASS!"

nah nah nah gonna have a good time

Author: Vlad from Greenpoint
30 December 1998

This is the quintessential animated show of all times. Bill Cosby has masterfully created an amazing show complete with an array of vocally diverse characters.

Hey Hey Hey, Its Fat Albert time !!!!

We must petition Bill Cosby to release this series on videotape or at least on The Cartoon Network...It has been at least 15 years since this animated masterpiece was in syndication.