IMDb > Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 2 of 37:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Sweet as chocolate!

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
24 July 2005

With the brand-new version of Tim Burton coming up, I thought it would be appropriate to watch the very first film-adaptation of Roald Dahl's popular children-novella first. Over 30 years old already, but this charming and moralistic fairy-tale still is a joy for all senses, with its likable main characters, exhilarating songs and valuable life-lessons. The movie might start out a little slow and overly dramatic with the extended portrait of the poor Charlie Bucket who has to work in order to support his family and he can only secretly dream about winning a grand tour in the wonderful chocolate factory owned by the mysterious Willy Wonka. But, when the miracle than occurs and Charlie walks into the factory together with four greedy kids, the movie REALLY takes off! The children and their adult companions are guided through the colorful landscapes and ingenious techniques of Wonka-world, where chocolate flows in rivers and candy bars can be taken out of TV-screens. This is a very fun movie and Dahl's rich but bizarre imagination is wonderfully put to the screen by Mel Stuart. The set pieces are magnificent and they really have the true magical feel of fantasy. Typical for Roald Dahl's work also is the slightly sinister and horrific touch, which is perfectly illustrated here in the unsettling boat-ride-through-the-cavern sequence. This particular scene is perhaps the most memorable one of the entire movie because of it's great use of sound and lighting! New surprises and eccentric plot-twists are provided every couple of seconds and Gene Wilder's jolly (but tempered) performance as the extravagant factory-owner really makes this movie complete. I can only hope the 2005 version will be as fabulous as this but I'm quite sure it will be. After all, if there's one team able to re-tell this insanely great tale, it has got to be Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is like a big bar of chocolate: delicious...and you're never too old to enjoy it!

Willy, you had me at "Pure Imagination"!

Author: CrazyMovieLady from United States
18 July 2011

I think it's pretty safe to say that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a timeless classic. Not only does it feature a great plot, fantastic acting and show how movies don't have to be full of computer animation to be good, but it also features some of the best music I have ever heard in a movie.

I still remember, almost as clearly as if it were yesterday, the remarkable thing the movie did to me the first time I watched it: It completely changed my mind about musicals! I was about 10 years old when I first sat down and watched the movie. Like a lot of kids, I didn't much care for musical numbers in movies. So when the music for "Pure Imagination" started playing, I thought, "Oh great, a musical number!" I was just about to press the fast-forward button when Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) began singing.

Within about two seconds, I was completely mesmerized! I didn't think I had ever heard such a beautiful song in my life, nor had I heard too many singing voices that were as beautiful as Willy's. It felt like he was singing that song as much to me as he was to the kids and parents in the movie! That song certainly captured MY imagination, and after hearing it for the first time, I saw musicals in a whole new light.

I may be grown now, but I still like the movie every bit as much as I did as a ten-year-old....and I will always have a special spot in my heart for "Pure Imagination" the song that convinced me that musicals can be some of the best movies out there!

If this movie sucks, then I'm a vernicious canid. (spoilers)

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
3 April 2005

'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' has withstood the test of time. And though quite dated, it is still a widely enjoyed film (with good reason!). This movie had a magnificent performance by Gene Wilder as Wonka, a wonderful story and great art direction for its day as they brought all of the awesome things at the Wonka factory to life (how cool it would be if you could actually go to a place like that), to being a superb musical.

The story is that of a famed chocolate manufacturer, Willy Wonka, who's factory is a magical secret that was shut down when competing candy companies kept trying to infiltrate the factory with their spies who wanted hold of the ingredients that made Wonka's candy the most novel and ultimately, the most novel. Of course, Wonka has a change of heart, and decides to hold a contest whereby the people who can find one of the five golden tickets randomly (maybe, all of the winners were conveniently children, four of which had horrible manners) in Wonka candy. It could be anywhere.

One by one, it seems that the tickets are being found, particularly by obnoxious kids who are all about the same age. (Veruca Salt, the most horrid and funniest of them all, would later inspire a late 90s alternative band). The selfish British brat, the slothy German boy, the record gumchewer with the sleazy car salesman father, and the boy who lives in front of the television. And there's only one ticket left. Meanwhile, a pathetic, depressed little boy named Charlie Bucket wants nothing more than to get hold of one of those tickets and witness the magic of the Wonka factory. Well, cheer up Charlie, because its about to happen.

The trip in Wonka is more than just an invitation for unrivaled fun, however. It is a test. One of Wonka's rivals known as Slugworth, has promised a valuable sum to each of the children who steal from Wonka one of his newest inventions -- an Everlasting Gobstopper-- so that his company might steal the ingredients. Will all remain loyal to Slugworth?

This is one of Gene Wilder's best performances, perfectly making the Wonka character his own. This was also the movie that introduced to the world the cautionary cult favorite midgets known as the Oompa Loompas, slaves who were rescued by Wonka to...well serve as his slaves. And, serving as a brief psychedelic inject into the events in the factory, make the lessons learned more obvious than they could have already been.

Charlie Bucket's character, however, could not be written to be more pathetic, as though the filmmakers were absolutely sure that this was the kid you had the most sympathy for. From the mother working in the laundry hand-washing clothes, to the bare one room house and the enormous bed shared by all of the grandparents with counterpart names, to Charlie's constantly furrowed brow and curled lip.

But, aside from this minor flaw, the movie has so many memorable things about it. I particularly like the Dr. Suess-esque setting. I can see why Tim Burton might be asked to be the next to recreate the story of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as the original looked like his style to begin with (like the foamy float machine or the bizarre sequence where Wonka appears to go momentarily mad). Nonetheless, may the legacy of the first live on for years to come. It is still one of the greatest family films ever made.

fantastic

Author: ross robinson from england
5 November 2003

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory has got to be one of the people's most fantastic movies ever i think. I really enjoyed this movie and it was very good and magical. This movie was a movie that was made into one of Roald Dahl's books. I think Roald Dahl was a great author, he wrote some fantastic stories and those stories were made into films. I give this movie 10 out of 10 because i just think that it is fantastic and very enjoyable to watch.

A Horror movie in disguise as a children's movie!

Author: TheCinemassacre from United States
23 February 2005

A lot of people put this film in the back of their minds and label it as a kid's movie. First of all, it's very entertaining for all ages and it has some parts which are really scary for kids like when Wonka takes his guests through a tunnel full of nightmarish images such as a chicken getting its head cut off which was actually edited out for television.

Wonka is fascinating, funny and often terrifying. The look in his eyes is demented and when he screams, all hell seems to spew forth. Wonka doesn't care about what happens to the kids that get knocked off. He didn't give any warning to that boy not to drink out of the chocolate lake, but starts yelling and running at him once he starts slurping it. In all the excitement, the boy is pushed into the lake and gets sucked up a tube while the mother cries "he'll be grounded into marshmallow." Wonka's response is "That pipe doesn't lead to the marshmallow room. It leads to the fudge room."

After the girl turns into a blueberry, he casually says "we'll have to squeeze the juice out of her before she explodes." Meanwhile the father is standing right beside him looking on horrified.

When one of the brats does something they're not supposed to do, Wonka gives less of a warning, each time. The last time is nothing more than a softly spoken "No, wait. Come back." After the kids meet their fate, we never see them again, which is the equivalent of what? Death. At the end, Wonka says they'll all be returned back to their "normal rotten selves", but I don't trust that smirk. Besides, how are we to believe him if we don't see the kids ever again? He's a child killer who uses candy as bait. Sure the kids deserved it, but the idea is still twisted.

Take a slasher movie like Halloween for example, where all the main characters are killed, except for one who is innocent compared with the rest. Here, it's kids instead of young adults and they all get disposed in some way or another until only Charlie is left to confront the demon Willy Wonka. What I'm saying is that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a horror movie in disguise as a children's movie. Ingenious!

Thanks Roald

Author: daveisit from Melbourne, Australia
7 November 2000

A reason that is often overlooked on the brilliance of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is the author of the original book. Roald Dahl not only creates wonderful characters, he has the ability to perfectly capture children's imagination. Aside from Dahl's writing, there are strong performances throughout the movie especially Gene Wilder as "Willy Wonka" who is perfect. Germany's Michael Bollner as "Augustus Gloop" should also be applauded for the delivery of his lines which for him were in a foreign language, although not entirely convincing.

Even if this movie was butchered by the director, which it certainly wasn't, it would have been good. The moronic parents in this movie provide an accurate portrayal of how one eyed and disillusioned parents can be of their children. See it.

Poignant, Moralistic & Eye-Poppingly Brilliant!

Author: RLANTZ from Alwaysland Ranch
18 April 2006

Having seen this as a 10 year old, I can understand how this film still brings me a great sense of warmth. Being a HUGE fan of chocolate, I was instantly drawn to the theater that day. Wonka bars were being sold by the fistfuls at the concession stand. Having procured my bounty. I stepped in, soon to be enveloped in pure cinematic magic. I was not disappointed, for then I became completely immersed in the films warm, chocolate blanket. I just saw this on TV a few days ago, and was (almost) equally mesmerized by the imagery. Undoubtedly Gene Wilder's most endearing role. If any of you didn't get choked up when Charlie unwraps the golden ticket, Sorry, you're dead already. I have to give it a 10

I've Never Forgot This Film

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
28 August 2002

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is a beautiful film which I can still watch today and enjoy.

Before I saw this movie I had read the book entitled Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl and it was magic. As for this film, it was pure fantasy.

Anybody can enjoy this film whether they be aged 10 or 100. I loved fantasy as a child and being whisked off to worlds with magic and wizards and strange creatures. Willy Wonka is set on Earth but not the Earth we know of. Willy Wonka's world is beautiful. Wonka is a benevolent old chocolate maker who invites some kids round to his chocolate factory where they can see all his delights and visit his magical world.

The really great thing about a film like this is how it can whisk you off to another world. Forget whatever troubles you've got, forget about those bills you have to pay, forget about sitting in rush hour traffic every morning and just enjoy this magical film which whisks you off to another world, a world where dreams come true, a world where there is nothing but love and magic. I can guarantee that whoever watches it will be taken in by the magic.

Simply beautiful!

A true classic

Author: maskoflight1995 from United States
26 January 2011

If there was a film I remember fondly from my childhood, it wouldn't be The Wizard of Oz, but Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

This seems extremely well done for 1971 (Though this was the year of A Clockwork Orange and The French Connection). The beautiful interior designs give the film a sense of imagination,and the shots of Munich and Nordlingen give it that timeless feel. The songs are all classic( even "Cheer Up Charlie" which seems to be often skipped over while watching the film, plus it has the best vocals).

The performances are just simply wonderful. Wilder's performance has the perfect mix of pure joy and creepiness. Albertson gives us some classic jokes. Ostrum plays Charlie as one of the most likable child characters in film history.

I still recommend this over Tim Burton's re-imagining of the book. Though Burton's film does explain some little plot holes (How did Wonka know kids would get the tickets?) and updates some of the films characters, it still can't compare to this classic.

To sum up the film: It's Scrumdidilyumptious! P.S. Depp's Wonka has some funny lines, but the execution is terrible!

Scrumptious!

Author: Mathew Shires (mathewshires) from Your Own Happy Place
13 October 2001

This is a fantastic and witty film, a genuine treat for all ages. It's been said that the movie never feels quite happy with itself and is occasionally a touch too dark, but that's partly the point-there's some serious messages and themes about greed and family here amongst the candy bars, Oompa-Loompa singalongs and weird gadgets. Gene Wilder is great as Willy Wonka-this is a vastly entertaining and interesting family flick. Great fun.

Page 2 of 37:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]