IMDb > The Point (1971) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Point

The Point (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A delightful film, no matter which version you choose

Author: vjthom39
6 July 2003

The Point, a delightful animated film, is a joy for both children and their parents. The story line is a typical fable - how little Oblio was born in the Land of Point with a perfectly round head. After beating the evil Count's son in a game of triangle toss, he and his faithful dog Arrow are banished to the Pointless Forest. Here they encounter numerous strange creatures and have many adventures, where they learn that physical or not, everybody has a point. The music was written and performed by Harry Nilsson...after his hits with "Everybody's Talkin'" and the "Theme from the Courtship of Eddie's Father", but before his monumental Nilsson Schmillson album. A song from this feature, "Me and My Arrow" became a minor hit. George Tipton does wonderful but largely unrecognized arrangements of all the songs. The original movie was featured on ABC television in 1971 with Dustin Hoffman providing the narration. Harry Nilsson himself peforms the narration on the corresponding soundtrack album, which is a delight in itself. (It has recently been re-released with additional material.) When the film was shown in Great Britain, the original narration was wiped and replaced with one by Alan Barzman. Later the film was shown on the Disney Channel, with narration by Alan Thicke. The VHS home version is narrated by Ringo Starr, a drinking buddy and close friend of Harry Nilsson. Although the VHS version is no longer in print, I have seen versions with all 4 narrators lurking about on the internet. I have not heard personally heard the Alan Thicke or Alan Barzman versions. Ringo does a nice job on his narration, which I prefer over Hoffman's. However, if you're a Dustin Hoffman fan, his version is fine as well.

The Best Animated Movie Of Our Time

Author: Joe (minorchord03) from Maine
9 January 2005

Any animated movie that comes out can not hold a straw to 1971's "The Point".

Harry Nillson wrote an incredible story, that comes along with excellent, singable songs that will live through the ages. The story is touching and the characters are wild.

The first time I saw it was the first time it came out, with Dustin Hoffman as the narrator. Now that it is on DVD, I wish that he was still the narrator, but Ringo does an incredible job as well and it does not detract from the story.

The point of this movie (no pun intended) is that everything has a point, and if everything has a point than thats rather pointless. You'll have to watch to understand. Every kid should watch it for a wonderful cartoon and every teenager/adult should watch it to learn a valuable, touching lesson.

A new favorite

Author: xxlittlekittenxx from United States
5 October 2003

I kept hearing about this movie a lot for quite some time, and when I saw the video at my local library, I decided to check it out to see if it was any good.

Little did I know what I was in for!

In other words, I loved every minute of it. I have this thing for semi-obscure non-Disney animated movies, and 'The Point' was just adorable. Never before have I seen a lead character quite as endearing as little Oblio, or a cuter dog than Arrow (I just loved his expressions). The Rock Man was just too cool... with that beatnik-like voice and wisdom.

I loved the songs, and there's a very strange one about death, which shows a whale decomposing... it's the weirdest part of the movie, and has to be seen to be believed. The sequences to a few other songs aren't much more normal, actually. But I mean all of this in the nicest way possible.

'The Point' will for sure have a place in my cartoon collection soon. Anyone who loves strange cartoons or Harry Nilsson should see it.

A masterpiece every child (and adult) should see

Author: Darren from Atlanta
26 March 2004

How wonderful that The Point is now available on DVD!

This 1971 TV special tells the story of Oblio, a round-headed child born into a world of pointy-headed people. He faces discrimination, is banished, and then returns at the end to teach an important lesson to the town.

The cartoon works on so many levels its a joy to watch and re-watch. The moral lessons come fast, furious and they're so enjoyably and subtle that it makes you feel good. "Everyone must have a point!"

A lot of the early '70s mentality is embedded in The Point, and the tone and lessons remind us that the '60s and '70s WERE an ideal time, filled with great ideals. The Harry Nielsson songs are outstanding, and the animation is a cross between Peter Max and the folks that did Rocky & Bullwinkle.

I snagged the Disney version on VHS more than 10 years ago, and let my small children watch it several times. I'm looking forward to enjoying it on crystal-clear DVD now.

Psychedelic 70's Anti-discrimination Musical

Author: Shawn G Sedoff from Irvine, CA
25 May 1999

In this film Oblio is born into a town of the pointy headed people with a round head. He is outcast from birth and forced to wear a pointed hat to blend in. His only friend is a pointed dog named Arrow. When it is discovered that his head is really round, the evil pointmeister has Oblio thrown out of the town into the wilderness to fend for himself. Here he learns life's lessons and meets some very unusual characters ala 'Wizard of Oz'. He finally returns to the town amid a great uproar, his hat is removed by the evil pointmeister and, to everyone's surprise, his head is pointed. But then a miracle happens and everyones pointed head dissolves away and everyone is round headed. The music is pretty good, but Dustin's original narration is the best. The video plays rather odd with Ringo and has a different feel altogether.

It was a great lesson in tolerance and acceptance.

Author: Sue (aunt_su) from United States
24 November 2003

Besides having a wonderful score written by Harry Nilson, including the song "Me and My Arrow" which was used in a car commercial, it had a great story and unique cartoons - very different for its day. I had seen it when it first came out with Dustin Hoffman as the father's voice, but the next time I saw it, Alan Thicke did the voice and I wondered if I had been mistaken. It is gratifying to know that I wasn't. I've never heard it with Ringo Starr in that part, but I think it would be interesting.

why isn't this shown more?

Author: projekchick1 from United States
5 January 2007

I saw this on ABC's Movie of the Week when it was first shown in 1971. I was in 8th grade then and just loved it.

I think it was only repeated once.

It should be repeated every year like Charlie Brown and Rudolph.

This generation would really benefit from it.It might make them think a little

The messages of tolerance and respecting others' differences never get old.

Plus the music was very uplifting and the characters are appealing

The fact that I still remember (and would like to see)this movie after 35 years must mean something.

great movie for kids/adults

Author: scnelson01 from Madison, WI
25 July 2004

I also watched this movie as a kid in the early 1970's. I think I first saw it at home (around '72 or '73) and a couple of years later saw it at school.

I imagine it was used to promote peace and harmony not only among the races, but also among conservatives/liberals, and the like. Oblio was a kid who was born (the only one) without a point on his head. He goes into exile and is determined to find "his point" with his dog Arrow. Eventually, he returns to town to see if they will accept him along with his differences and is stunned to find out he now DOES have a point on his head. The only problem is that the town now has round heads, but they take him in warmly. Excellent movie to teach about racism or how we are all different, but we must all be accepted.

Great movie about diversity and acceptance

Author: Snoopy1 from Watertown, MA
15 April 2002

Growing up, my parents used to rent this movie for my sister and I all the time. Along with "Free To Be You & Me", these movies made me really open-minded and I learned a lot.

It's the story of a young boy who lives in a town with all of these people whose heads are pointy. His head is not. So he treks around on a "psychedelic journey" with his dog. I don't remember much else, but I remember Ringo narrating it :-) and the ending which I'm not going to write about here.

I can't seem to find this film anywhere now. I think I'd enjoy seeing it, especially since in retrospect I realize that it was probably made by hippies and had a lot of the 60s/70s drug culture in it.

Acceptance

Author: addismewhat from United States
1 October 2005

I was twelve when I saw this movie and was feeling very out of place, not fitting in with the other kids.

I was amazed to see such a wonderful story of hope. It made me feel so good to know others felt like I did.

This movie had a profound impact on me.

If you or your child is feeling detached, out of place, I can think of no happier way to show them they are not alone then to introduce this movie to them.

Why this treasure is so under circulated is disappointing, but kind of poignant to its message.

I must add the very end of the story did leave me feeling confused, but the power of the message overpowered this flaw.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]