IMDb > The Wind Blows Free (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Wind Blows Free More at IMDbPro »Oceano (original title)

Polynesian adventure

Author: richardtownley from United Kingdom
28 May 2009

I saw this in Bangkok in 1973 and was completely blown away by it but I have never seen or heard of it since - and this, apparently, is the first review here. Oceano (The Wind Blows Free) is an astonishing ocean adventure set in Polynesia with a very small amateur cast (and music by Ennio Morricone). Wouldn't want to spoil the fun by saying too much about the plot but, basically, a young (14? 15?) Polynesian boy sails around the Pacific in an outrigger looking for his dream island. Virtually no dialogue at all but the most stunning photography, and action that leaves you wondering how they ever filmed it. One of the most memorable films I have ever seen.

Most Unusual

Author: mimsypims from United States
30 January 2014

I saw this movie in the mid 80's and it has to be one of the best filmed movies ever. The cinematography was like nothing I've ever seen and with there being no dialog the visual aspect ends up telling the story. I realize it doesn't sound compelling but trust me it is. Should you ever see the movie you'll know what I mean. The boy playing the part of the main character was perfect. He doesn't seem to be acting and the other characters don't either. It's like you're watching a documentary with no commentary. They are showing the Polynesian culture in the most mundane ways (to them) but you are pulled in and you understand the story being told. I would truly love to own this film but it doesn't seem to be available in any format in the U.S.