IMDb > "Matlock Police" (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Matlock Police" More at IMDbPro »

One of Australia's best television classics

Author: Charles Joe Agnes (joeagnes@y7mail.com) from Adelaide, Australia
1 December 2003

I recall back in the early 1970's when this show was screened late at night, we all waited anxiously to watch. This was a police drama set in a Australian country town called "Matlock" and had a blend of great Australian artists, which was the rural analogy of the other great Australian classic police drama series "Homicide" in terms of quality. These two television series would have to be amongst Australia's best television series ever presented. Even by today's standards these two series would rank very highly, when compared to the blandness that most modern television series offer. These two series displayed what great results could be achieved with a limited budget and a well planned goal.

Artists such as Michael Pate (who also starred in earlier American movies), Grigor Taylor and Paul Cronin (later recognised in another Australian classic series " The Sullivans") displayed a great performance in their collaboration as police officers. Grigor Taylor would always remind me of the Australian David McCallum. I am very surprised that he did not progress to become a more popular icon of Australian television, or abroad. He was one of my favourite Australian artists, without overlooking any of the others. I enjoyed all the episodes that I was fortunate to watch as they were simple, straight forward and exciting. What I found unique about this police drama was that at the end of the episodes, when the criminals were caught, you could hear an audio narrated conclusion of their fates and their convictions, which I have never seen in any other police drama to my knowledge. The musical score was also great and like that of "Homicide", it alone enticed you to want to watch. Sadly, I only saw one repeat of this series and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. Australian television series at it's very best

Australian TV at it's best

Author: nemo1962 from Australia
3 February 2011

I remember watching this show, loved it. And I loved the theme as well. Had a mad crush on Michael Pate. The stories were great, not so far fetched and it was always interesting to see the sentences meted out at the end. Watching it now is such a joyful trip, the classic cars, the fashions, the hair, the actors, spotting the towns where filming was. If you read the history on the show (www.classicaustraliantv.com/matlock.htm) Victoria Police introduced motorbike radios (it was a dummy prop on the show) and every kid wanted to be a motorcycle police like Gary Hogan. Does anyone remember Grigor Taylor in Silent Number? It's such a shame that Australian TV can't match this. Rush is alright, Special Ops is too, but this was great. I wish someone had the nous to release it all on DVD.

Matlock Police

Author: vanessacricklewood from Australia
15 August 2008

Yes I grew up watching this show religiously, in fact I even have written in my diary "watched Matlock Police" so it is immortalized forever in writing! Luckily I live in rural Australia and WIN is currently repeating this show (and another fantastic cop show Division 4)It is on at 2.30 am , but I don't care what time it is on, I am just glad it is! All the characters were wonderful, Grigor Taylor has to be one of the spunkiest blokes around, and I was upset when he left (no offence Tom Richards!) The episodes were always exciting, and they didn't need to be swearing every 5 minutes like people seem to be now on TV. All the old holden cars especially the monaro were super. A lot of my real favourite episodes I have kept so I have a few videos full of the show, excellent to watch whenever I like. They certainly don't make shows like that anymore, and the theme song was very catchy too.