IMDb > The Feminist and the Fuzz (1971) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Feminist and the Fuzz (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Very entertaining - and funny too!

Author: meganmushrat from United States
1 May 2005

The Feminist and the Fuzz is a movie I have been trying to find on VHS or DVD for several years. It was made back when the Feminist Movement was hot stuff and is a thoroughly enjoyable 'spoof' on the battle of the sexes. Both Barbara Eden and David Hartman did great jobs in their roles, and the cameo appearances by Harry Porter, Farrah Fawecett and Julie Newmar (did I get the names right?) were wonderful. Although it is definitely a comedy, it does make one think a little bit about whether or not the feminist movement (women are exactly equal to men) is accurate or not. If you have a chance to see it and you are looking for an evening of light entertainment - go no further.

Better than average TV movie

Author: bejwak from Florida, USA
23 August 2003

I saw this movie when it first came out on TV. As a 16 year old I really appreciated the sight of Barbara Eden in a Bunny suit. It has many familiar faces and a pleasant story line. Nothing objectionable and good for the whole family. I give it an 8 and would certainly buy it on DVD if it becomes available.

Very Funny, Wise; Females' Liberation, Males' Consternation

Author: silverscreen888
21 July 2005

As someone must have said by now, this is a 1970s movie. Its subject is confrontations between bewildered, sympathetic or bemused feminists of the period and bewildered, sympathetic or bemused males of the period. It is a comedy with elements of satire, meaning the viewer know things should turn out fine, although it just does not seem so during the earlier stages. This made-for-TV classic of its sort has a likable and fine cast, a witty script and more fun per minute than almost any other film on the same topic. It is a look at the bad position women have been placed in in the U.S., at 1970, and since 1770. and what some people wanted to do about that problem; it is also about persons who do not have all the answers but are trying to negotiate a way of restating the questions. The chosen story-line pits two "natural" antagonists, a nice-guy police officer played by David Hartman who is not anti-feminine just not pro 'women's lib" and about as confused as anyone is on the topic, and Barbara Eden, a young woman who is sure she is pro-feminine but not certain how she ought to proceed. Each gets bad advice from their friends, in Eden's case JoAnn Worley and in Hartman's case just about everyone. Eden has a fiancée, nice-guy Herb Edelman, who is sympathetic but gormless; and there is a hitch...because there are so few apartments in San Francisco, Hartman and Eden cannot have the apartment they love and need except by sharing it. Since their schedules do not clash, they agree to try a mutual occupation arrangement. But not until after she has harassed him and he has frisked her, in the line of duty; by this time we viewers have had demonstrated several facts--that they annoy one another and are attracted to one another; but that he is not ready to admit she needs more rights and she is not ready to admit some in the movement have overdone their protests. The clever script omits nothing--bra burning, enlisting prostitutes who agree with the idea of liberation to the point of sometimes overdoing lack of controls, her father's spending time with Julie Newmar, a charming lady of the streets, Worley and Edelman getting together and deciding that if she wants to dominate he really wants her to do so, and the principals overcoming their differences and falling in love. A message in this film? Hardly. It is about the need for non-acrimonious communication, confronting 70's issues and the fun provided by the script's author, James S. Henerson. Jerry Paris, TV veteran actor and director, kept the events moving fluidly. In addition to the good actors already named, the cast included TV veterans Arthur Batanides, Harry Morgan as Eden's father, John McGiver, Farrah Fawcett, Roger Perry, Sheila James and Penny Marshall, among others. Cinematography was by Emil Oster, good and suitably-comedic original music by Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson. Theladies take up karate, the men take to worrying, but in the end this pleasant film's creators, a film very much imitated by never duplicated since, comes down on the side not of compromise but of tolerant understanding and individual choices--surely a welcome alternative to preaching, maintaining a rightless status quo for females or compounding a bad situation with more bad ideas. Give it a try; this film is funny and occasionally wise. As most who have seen it would say, this is memorable and balanced.

A very funny movie with most of beautiful Barbara very visible.Enjoyable.

Author: pat-176 from Milwaukee, Wis.
10 November 2005

This movie is funny in the extreme. Barbara Eden and David Hartman Barbara Eden play their parts perfectly. I especially enjoyed the fun at the night club and the scene with Jerry (David Hartman) carrying Jane Bowers (Barbara Eden) out and putting her in the police car as his girl friend (Farah Fawcet) watched.Also the scene where Jo Ann Worley clobbers David Harman with Karate chops. The scenes with Jo Ann Worly as the head man hater,were extremely funny . Also the parts with the nosy irritable, ornery landlord added to the fun. It is too bad that these movies are not presented on TV more often. So what if they are dated. They are funny even in these disturbing times.

Archetypal Early-'70s TV Movie

Author: lisado from United States
26 February 1999

If you're looking for the state-of-the-art of TV movies from this time period, look no further. Everything about this movie is serviceable and familiar. Just a bit more memorable than some TV movies, if only for the fact that it has more than its share of well-known players and some above average (if somewhat overblown) writing. Puts a comic spin on its battle-of-the-sexes/mores clash premise and churns out a mildly entertaining, ever-so-slightly provocative and risque (for the time) look at the relationship between a supposed feminist activist and her police officer roommate. It certainly does not go out of its way to make any statements for the ages. Formula from beginning to end...nary a plot twist in sight!!

There are certainly better uses of your time, but if you're home sick, and it's on, it could be an amusing way to pass the time.

Barbara Eden, David Hartman, and the supporting cast have enough charm in the fluffy The Feminist and the Fuzz

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
9 September 2012

Just watched this made-for-TV movie starring Barbara Eden-her first after her TV series "I Dream of Jeannie" was canceled-and David Hartman-years before gaining fame as the first host of "Good Morning, America". She's a doctor who mostly believes in the women's liberation movement while he's a cop who's puzzled by some of their stances. After some haggling, they reluctantly agree to share an apartment since one works in the morning and the other at night. They are also initially seeing someone else-Ms. Eden has a liberal lawyer who lives with his mother played by Herb Edelman and Hartman's occasionally with a Playboy bunny played by young Farrah Fawcett. Others in the supporting cast include Jo Anne Worley as the head of WAM-Women Against Men-who has no hesitation of using her karate chop, Julie Newmar as an aspirational X-rated actress, and Harry Morgan as Ms. Eden's dad. Look also for Penny Marshall in some scenes. Anyway, I found the whole thing a little silly but funny enough for my tastes. And with the short running time meant to fill a 90-minute slot, The Feminist and the Fuzz should go down easy as the fluff it was meant to be.

Where can I find a copy of The Feminist and the Fuzz?

Author: pqseashore from United States
31 January 2009

When I watched The Feminist and the Fuzz, I did not own a VCR. Later I thought I could purchase it, but it seems that it never came out on VCR or DVD. I often record a movie while I watch it, and so I hope that someone did that when it was shown in 1971 (?). I would be happy to buy a copy even if the quality is poor, as long as it can be seen. I tried for many years to find a copy of the PBS movie She Loves Me and had just about given up when someone saw one of my many posted requests and directed me to someone who had recorded it and offered to sell me a copy. I bring it out at Christmas time for the sheer joy of experiencing the wonderful music and happy story again. Even though it first came out as The Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart and The Good Old Summer Time and You've Got Mail, I still treasure She Loves Me over all of them. I thank you for any help you can offer for The Feminist and the Fuzz.

The best part of watching the film was watching the steam pouring out of my wife's ears!!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
6 November 2016

"The Feminist and the Fuzz" is an incredibly dated and occasionally offensive film. It's clearly a product of the 1970s but today a lot of women, and not just rabid feminists, would no doubt be irritated by the silliness and stupidity of the script. As my wife said it, "this film sets back feminism 60 years".

David Hartman plays a cop and Barbara Eden is the feminist. When both show up to rent the same great apartment at the same time, he ends up ticketing her...which she deserved. However, he is totally sexist and the pair don't know what to do about the apartment. Then, she gets the brilliant idea of them BOTH getting it and sharing it! Wackiness and hilarity supposedly follow...supposedly.

The script is filled with just about every stereotype and cliché known at the time...including Eden's wacky man-hating friend who is a blackbelt and beats up the fuzz! It comes off like a pilot for a very bad sit-com...very bad. Cringe-inducing and just badly done-- and a waste of talent.

By the way...in this film we are expected to believe that the genial but, at best, ordinary looking Hartman is dating Farrah Fawcett and eventually has Barbara Eden fall for him as well...in his dreams!!!

A Beautiful Female Cast

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
8 April 2016

"Officer Jerry Frazer" (David Hartman) is a San Francisco police officer who is looking for an apartment. "Dr. Jane Bowers" (Barbara Eden) is a pediatrician who is also looking for an apartment. The problem for both of them is that affordable apartments are very difficult to find in this particular city. As luck would have it, when an apartment becomes vacant both of them rush to claim it and just happen to arrive at the same time. Recognizing that the rent is a little too pricey and cognizant of the fact that they have different shifts, they then decide to share the apartment with each other. The problem is that each of them have a different set of values which are in direct opposition to the other yet agree to pretend to be married to satisfy the landlord. Likewise, they each have companions of their own which complicates things even further. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film turned out to be an interesting made-for-television movie in large part because of the beautiful female cast which featured Farrah Fawcett (as Jerry's girlfriend "Kitty Murdock"), Julie Newmar ("Lilah McGuinness") and of course the afore-mentioned Barbara Eden. Yet in spite of these attractive ladies, the film itself suffered from a predictable plot and a deficiency of comedy. That said, while it certainly wasn't a bad movie, I didn't consider it to be all that great either and I have rated it accordingly. Average.