IMDb > Evil Roy Slade (1972) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Evil Roy Slade

Evil Roy Slade (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

credits for this movie's humor

Author: cwilliams3 from United States
21 January 2005

I have, unfortunately, seen this movie only one time, and all I can say is that it ranks as one of the funnest piece of work I have ever seen. I consider myself a worthy and discriminating critic when it comes to good films and acting performances -- and this one had every ingredient possible to make it an all-time comedy classic. Because it's been so long since I have seen this movie, I can't remember much about the details, except that John Astin plays an inept evil-doer, the antics of which kept me in stitches from the moment he appeared until his character left the screen. Much to my disappointment and despite my efforts,I have never found nor seen the movie again.

Author: hillari from Chicago, USA
31 July 2001

This made for TV comedy-western (originally shown on NBC) is totally crazy. Roy's doing just fine, being mean and nasty, until he meets a woman during a bank robbery. She attempts to reform him, and that's when the plot really goes wild. John Astin is excellent in the lead role. The supporting roles could be a list of who's funny when it comes to comic acting: Mickey Rooney, Henry Gibson, Dom DeLuise, Milton Berle, Edie Adams (Ernie Kovacs' widow) and narration by Pat Buttram. I suggest that you run to rent or buy this one!

One of the 10 Funniest and Cleverest Comedies Ever!

Author: Arthur Spelman Rose (oxymoron@usit.net) from AMISH COUNTRY TENNESSEE/CALIFORNIA TRANSPLANT
20 March 2000

This movies was a masterpiece and a delight. Dick Shawn was stupendously funny, and the rest of the cast, perfectly cast. The movie was well directed ALWAYS kept you laughing and never let up. In this viewers opinion it is one of the 10 funniest and cleverest comedies of all times. I gave it a 10 and so did 297 people out of a possible 419 voters here on the data base. Will someone explain to me how you can have over half the votes a 10, have the Arithmetic mean = 9.1. The Median of 10.0 and still our beloved IMDb gives this movie a weighted average vote of 6.3? Come on I've heard of "weighted" but is the butchers hand on the scale here? Is it that those folks intellectual capacity just couldn't bare to see this film in the top ten of the top 100 movies? Hmmmmmm? Well guess what? The Direction, The Acting, The Script, and just the general "clevertude" (is there such a word?) Should put this film just about in the top 10 percent of films....Come on Fellas....be fair. At least level this out to 8.5 I can buy that a whole lot "weightedly" than 6.3 Just one viewers opinion.

Best comedy ever..

Author: Cornel from Australia
3 April 2003

Like a previous fan of this movie, I scored the movie a big 10. With so many other people also scoring it a ten, I am glad to see there are a lot of other people out there with a warped sense of humor. I also cannot understand why this movie only has a score of 5.7. I would like to know who owns the movie so that I could possibly convince them to put it out on DVD (in Australia - PAL system). With a score like this the movie will never be put out on DVD so that I can watch it at my leisure. Could I ask the person or persons who weighted the score down so heavily to please reconsider and let the movie get the recognition it deserves.

Rolling on the floor funny

Author: bobsteimle from United States
28 June 2005

I saw this movie late at night on television while visiting a friend in Los Angeles in the mid 1970's. My friend was actually rolling around on the floor because he was laughing so hard. Although I haven't seen it since, I still remember it as the funniest movie I have ever seen. Maybe it was partly because it was late at night, but we were both sober. I think it was much funnier than Blazing Saddles and much less offensive. After thirty years, some of the scenes are still clear in my mind, such as Slade taking off all his weapons or persuading his horse to make the jump over a wide ditch. It's almost like an American Western version of a Marx Brothers movie. I don't remember anything dirty in it, so even young children would enjoy watching it. I'd really like to see it again myself.

Superb comedy

Author: Chris Partridge (tatty48) from Chester, England, UK
23 September 2003

Evil Roy Slade as mentioned in the review is a film that a lot of people are unaware of, and what a pity. If you have the sort of sense of humour related to Blazing Saddles then you will find this film a bonus. My Daughter watched this film when she was about 11 or 12 and loved it. I wont give anything away but look out for "Not wearing guns" and the "Shoe horn", classic stuff. Even though 30 years old I think the comedy still works, so find it, watch it and enjoy it.

Why am I goin' "pow pow"? 'Cause this ain't goin' "pow pow!"

Author: jumaward (jumaward@yahoo.com) from middle of the mitten
21 March 2002

A better made-for-tv movie does not exist. I've read that it was actually a pilot for a western series that would have guest good guys who were to be defeated by Evil Roy and the gang.

The writing is super, fast, and funny--they really knew what they were doing.

ERS is a family favorite. I got a copy for Christmas a few years ago; we all sat around and watched it. My brother-in-law had never seen ERS before--I thought he was going to hurt himself laughing.

Hilarious made-for-TV movie

Author: Greg Eichelberger from San Diego
22 May 2006

Evil Roy Slade (Made For TV, 1972, director: Jerry Paris) - I first saw this movie when I was a small child (in an era of rather clever movies of the week), and then a few more times after that. I have not viewed it in over 25 years, however, but I still recall it being one of the funniest films I ever saw.

The humor was dark enough to attract my laughs, but not insulting or offensive (somewhere along the line, Hollywood forgot how to walk this delicate balance). Slade (John Astin, Gomez on TV's "Addams Family")is orphaned after a wagon train is attacked by Indians. No one (even the native-Americans or wolves) will aid him, so he ends up being raised by vultures with just an old teddy bear for a companion.

Naturally, he grows up mean and vile, eventually becoming the leader of a gang of bank robbers. During a heist, he meets pretty schoolmarm Betsy (Pam Austin) and it's love at first sight.

After he quits the gang, Becky tries to reform him, but railroad executive Mr. Stool (Mickey Rooney), hires retired singing sheriff, Big Bell (Dick Shawn, "It's A Mad, Mad Mad, Mad World") to capture the reforming outlaw.

With Dom DeLuise, Milton Berle, Edie Adams, John Ritter (later to star on "Three's Company"), Pat Morita (of "Karate Kid" fame) and narrated by Pat Butrum (Mr. Haney on "Green Acres"), "Evil Roy Slade" was one laugh riot from beginning to end. Maybe it's nostalgia for those good old days, but with others out there expressing the same viewpoint, I believe this picture still holds up well today.

Funniest line of dialogue that I remember: Betsy is trying to teach Slade mathematics. She asks, "You have three apples, and your neighbor has three apples. If he takes three of your apples, what do you have?" Slade: "A dead neighbor and all six apples."

Evil Roy Slade is the best comedy I have ever seen in 30 years.

Author: kathy Clark from Caribbean island of Barbados
1 June 2005

When I was ten years old, I watched the movie Evil Roy Slade. Never before had I seen a movie so funny. I swear! Even at that young and tender age I laughed almost hysterically. I have watched a lot of TV in my time and after 30 years of watching comedies in all genres this film is definitely the most comical of them all, in my opinion. Sure, the movie 'Airplane' was good too but the laughs were few and far in between. From the beginning of the Evil Roy Slade movie until the end I couldn't stop laughing. John Astin played the main character role quite convincingly. Although the character was evil you just had to love him from the moment he entered the movie until the moment he left and especially when he had to cope with life without his guns. The film is filled with unexpected and unbelievable events at every turn and written in the funniest way possible. I don't know why, but I have never seen or heard of this film since until I came to this site searching some kind of information about the movie. I have been waiting many years to see this movie again. Too long! I need a good laugh.

Funniest Western I've seen

Author: megandave from Gold Coast, Australia
6 November 2004

I haven't seen this movie for over 15 years when my copy was accidentally taped over.It's great to see that so many others have a similar recollection of this hilarious movie as me.I don't believe it has been shown on Australian TV in that time, which is a crying shame as it is one of those few comedies that pace the laughs perfectly throughout.So many of the movie's lines became second nature amongst a few of us such as "Stubby Index Finger" and "Bing Bell, I'll get that". I am an unashamed Mel Brooks fan, however I reckon Evil Roy Slade is superior to Blazing Saddles.I'm am at a loss as to how to go about getting a copy of it in Australia.If anyone can be of assistance I'd be really rapt.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]