IMDb > Diamonds Are Forever (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Diamonds Are Forever

Diamonds Are Forever More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 26: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Women, casinos, fast cars, murders and deceit = Bond at his best

Author: anonymous from London, England
25 March 1999

This is a classic bond film. It has everything you would expect and more. There are gadgets galore, beautiful women and fascinating locations, along with a classic Bond plot. James bond starts in London as usual but visits Amsterdam, Las Vegas and the Nevada Desert along the way to name just a few. He is pitted against his arch enemy Blofeld once again, who has stolen a considerable amount of diamonds and is planning to use them from space to hold the world to ransom. Bond is of course sent to save the world, win the hand of the lady and arrive home shaken not stirred. This film has probably one of the most memorable car chases of all time featured in it and is worth viewing just for that. An absolute diamond of a film which seems to improve with age, a bit like a good wine.

End Of Classic Era With Connery Last As Bond

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
24 September 2011

Starting Sean Conerry as James bond in diamonds are forever for the last time. in 1971

he did some unofficial films too but that doesn't count here but this one is his last & best.

Sean Connery looks fantastic as bond & the story is awesome

bond goes on a mission to find out where are the missing diamonds,why are many people after them & who's behind it.

the bond girls are bad here but the movie is entertaining so sit back & pick this up.you wont regret.

the ost,direction,action,plot & acting is top quality here that we don't find in new movies these days.

this is awesome then Daniel Craig movies.

i enjoyed this one & i recommend this to all people & bond fans.

this is a must watch movie 10/10

Welcome Back Connery

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
20 August 2010

Diamonds Are Forever (1971)

*** (out of 4)

At the time this was meant to be Sean Connery's final turn as James Bond and you can tell that the producers decided to pretty much throw everything into the film and just see what all would stick. This time out Bond is put on the trail of some diamond thieves who are taking the items from South Africa and trying to get them into the United States. Once in the States Bond finds himself once again battling Blofeld (Charles Gray) who is held up in Las Vegas where there's more than just stolen diamond at stake. There's no question that this here was a major step up from the previous entry and I thought the opening sequence was masterfully done. It's obvious the director, producers and even Connery were aware that they had made a mistake by not having the now legend in the role and the opening sequence perfectly winks at the audience by not showing the "actor" doing the Bond stuff for the first couple scenes and then we're punched right in the face by a terrific opening where we finally see Connery. Some would probably argue that there's way too much "cute" stuff going on with Connery pretty much looking right into the camera and smiling but I would disagree because this is simply his role and it was a lot of fun seeing him back in it even after just being away for one film. I think the film also benefits from the Las Vegas settings because is there a better city to have someone like Bond in? I loved the stuff in the casino and especially one sequence where a money grabber goes back to Bond's room with him only to be tossed out the window. Another good thing working in this film is that it's a tad bit more adult in nature than the previous entries. We get some mild cuss words, some more graphic violence and even a tad bit of nudity. That's not to say this film is pure sleaze because it isn't but at the same time it's fun seeing it a tad bit more grown up. Connery is certainly welcomed back and it's apparent he's having a lot of fun in the film as he's perfect in the role. The walk, the talk and pretty much everything else is masterfully done. Gray is pretty good in the role of Blofeld but I must admit that I thought he was still the weakest of the three actors who played him in this portion of films. Putter Smith and Bruce Glover play the bad guys and both were a great delight and added so much fun to the film. I've read a few reviews that put them down for being too "gay" but I thought that was rather unfair as the characters were just so much fun. Jill St. John and Lana Wood are both wonderful as the Bond girls with St. John doing a fantastic job and making for one of the more memorable love interest roles. The fun doesn't stop there as we even get Bruce Cabot (KING KONG) in his final role. Add in a terrific sequence by Bernard Lee and you've got the most impressive all-around cast from the Bond pictures so far. The action scenes are mostly good, although a couple of the special effects are embarrassingly bad. Outside of a few pacing problems the terrific cast makes this a very entertaining entry in the series.

Diamonds are Forever, 1971

Author: wrestlingsitewebmaster from England
24 August 2008

Well where do I start? DAF is a very good Bond film but at the same time it's just strange, perhaps it's the cloning (what nonsense) of evil SPECTRE boss Blofeld or perhaps it's the odd job pairing of Kidd and Wint who are supposed to be gay (even though they make superb baddies). It's so strange that it makes the film very good.

Jill St John who played Tiffany Case started off well as John's character was fearless who put Bond in his place but about half way through the film becomes scared of the least little thing and become's flirty. However John's performance in the film is strong and whilst not remembered in the same context as say Honor Blackman in Goldfinger (1964) she and Bond make a good couple despite the flaws as mentioned above.

This reviewer enjoy's the scenes in the desert in Las Vegas and especially the scene where Bond fight's with Peter Franks. Joe Robinson played this role well but is it just me or does he look like WWE superstar Paul 'Triple H' Levesque? Casting Jimmy Dean as Willard Whyte proved to be a hit with the viewing audience and Whyte has some great line's for the film including when Bert Saxby tries to kill him and the CIA kill Saxby Whyte shouts to Bond "Tell him he's fired!!" A major disappointment for the film is casting Charles Gray as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Gray was far more effective in You Only Live Twice as Henderson. Here Gray is a colossal bore who does nothing except bark orders out and push buttons. And what sense does it make to have him without a mark on him? (Remember in You Only Live Twice he had a scar running down his face and On Her Majesty's Secret Service he had no ear lobes). In this film Blofeld is perfectly normal, what sense does that make? DAF does prove to be a Bond movie favourite but as stated above it's not with out it's flaws.

Overall Grade - A-

Connery Is Back

Author: BrohmaBull007 from United States
13 March 2006

In this thriller of a James Bond movie we get the return of Sean Connery after skipping a movie. This movie was action packed to an extreme. Usually Bond movies slow down a bit to build up the tension but we get none of that here. Bond is in Las Vegas and the location is used to its every advantage. The redhead that is Tiffany Case plays a good tough girl with that high maintenance touch. Connery delivers twice as many one-liners as before giving this movie a comedic touch. Blofed is a very powerful villain and he is one of the best Bond villains to date. This movie also gives us the somewhat legendary henchmen of Mr. Wynt and Mr. Kidd. They provide some classic moments when they face Bond and when they finish each others puns and old sayings. They truly made this film the comedic masterpiece that it is. This movie took a different turn with more comedy and more action while still keeping the plot together. That is what I find fun about this movie. Bambi and Thumper are 2 vixens who know how to put up a great action sequence. Connery sadly looks older in this movie than I expected. He looks like he is 45 and I was shocked to find out he was only 40. I also think Connery might have soiled his reputation by returning for an huge sum of money. Plenty O'Toole was a pointless character that didn't even deserve ANY screen time. Overall if you've always wanted to see Bond with a little more action then I think this is the Bond movie for you. 7/10

Good, not impressive. Spoiler

Author: pmolin9249 from United States
25 August 2005

I'm uncertain about this movie. Its a regular James Bond from the 70's, and has enough action and adventure, but it had weak points.

1. I don't like Jill St. John. She was way too dumb as a Bond girl. I prefer the ones like Pussy Galore, Jinx, Wai Lin, Melina Havelock, Anja Amosava, etc.

2. What is up with Blofeld's death? You bang him around a little and he's dead?! And when Bond kills him, there is no emotion! He killed his wife for God's sake! He had eluded him for three movies!! 3. Blofeld. This Blofeld was not like the others. He wasn't ruthless, evil or creepy like the others. And wasn't didn't this actor play another character in You Only Live Twice?

Well, I can say I liked the henchmen.They where really evil and creepy!

All and All, a wholesome Bond flick, but a poor conclusion for Connery.

One of the Best! And how to make the best Bond film: an easy recipe

Author: gainsbarre from Brisbane
25 April 2004

Compared with all the other Bond films, I always find that Diamonds Are Forever is the one film that I, and other avid Bond fans I know, seem to quote the most dialogue from. This is, I believe, due to the excellent script with probably the snappy contributions from scriptwriter Tom Mankiewicz.

This script abounds with sharp witty comments and verbal fencing between Connery and main Bond girl Jill St. John. The two bounce off each other beautifully, and even though Diana Rigg was probably the best Bond Girl as an actress (see On Her Majesty's Secret Service), Jill St. John seems to have landed the best Bond Girl character that's ever been in a Bond film. Her character, Tiffany Case, is smart, savvy, wise-cracking and sophisticated and certainly knows what she's on about, and played beautifully by Jill St. John (even if some people complain that she looks like a nun in a brothel in the fight scenes). Compared with the usual vicious/ice maiden/dumb Bond girls that seem to appear in every other movie, Jill's portrayal of Tiffany Case makes her, in my opinion, the best and most enjoyable of all the Bond Girls.

Certainly the script has some of the best dialogue ever written for a Bond film, however, as usual, one must not look too deeply into the plot of a James Bond film. Like Octopussy, Diamonds Are Forever tends to have a plot which if you scrutinise too closely doesn't make sense...but really who cares?? It's a great film overall.

Charles Gray plays a wonderful, campy Bloefeld with beautiful sly dialogue and a delicious arrogant wit. In fact the dialogue in this film is the closest a Bond film has ever come to sounding like Oscar Wilde or Bernard Shaw. Although not in that class, it nevertheless makes it a thoroughly entertaining film, and that's what James Bond is all about!

Technically, the film has some problems. The cinematography, especially in the Nevada desert scenes, is not good. There's also a bit too much post-sync dubbing with the extras which is delivered badly by voice actors. In fact one thing you always find in a lot of Bond films is a proliferation of awful actors in very minor roles. This didn't really improve until maybe The Spy Who Loved Me.

But alas, I'm just being picky! Diamonds Are Forever is a highly entertaining Bond film with a great slice of wit and sophistication, excellent fight scenes and a very satisfactory car chase in the streets of Las Vegas.

So you want to know how to make the perfect James Bond film? Well I have the answer: take the wit and sophistication (and sassy Bond girl) of Diamonds Are Forever, mix it together with the sumptuous style (and quirkiness) of Goldfinger, put in the globe-trotting glamour of The Spy Who Loved Me, add some high octaine action from The World Is Not Enough (or any other Pierce Brosnan film will do) and finally top it off with the solid plot sensibility of For Your Eyes Only. And voila: the perfect Bond film. (Although I am going to say: Thanks Pierce, it's been nice having you, but we need someone now with a bit more style/humour/ease/edge).

Campy fun!

Author: davidbyrne77 from Ottawa
20 February 2004

Hey, ever wonder what it would be like to battle bad guys with space lasers in Las Vegas, bed a chick called Plenty O'Toole ("named after your father, perhaps?"), outwit gay henchmen, and be pretty much unbelievably offensive to the opposite sex? Well, it would be a lot like being Sean Connery in this film!

It becomes pretty clear early on in this film that it was going to be quite different than the ones that proceeded it. Great opening sequence one-liners! "There's something I want you to get off your chest" - then he rips a girl's top off and starts strangling her with it! Nail her, Bond, you stud! "Welcome to Hell, Blofeld". Also good! There's some real quick wit happening in this film, which doesn't attempt top take itself seriously, which is good. Blofeld look's at Plenty's bikini-clad ass, and sighs "If only they were brains!" Brilliant! Bond gets into a hearse with some undertakers: Bond: "It's so sad, he was my only brother" (something to this affect) Other guy: "Hey, I got a brother". Bond (amused): "Small world".

Did I mention that the evil villain's henchmen are a gay couple who refer to each other as 'Mr.' this and 'Mr.' that? Danger, crazy antics up ahead! And the $5 special-effects bill for those nuclear explosions? Realistic! I liked how the recoil from a submachine gun knocked that floozy off the oil rig! And Bond makes out with himself for a brief moment! People, this is a must-see!

NOT MY FAVORITE BOND FILM

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
7 May 2002

Whenever I dislike a movie I try to watch it again after a few years to give it a second chance. I have watched Diamonds are Forever three times and it doesn't do much for me.

Sean Connery was a good Bond and he did some good films such as You Only Live Twice and Goldfinger. I found Diamonds are Forever a little bit of a chore to watch and it seemed too long.

There wasn't much action in this film. Okay, there was action but it just wasn't Bond type action. It had it's moments but they were few and far between.

Sean Connery is very good at playing 007 but other things spoilt if for me. Charles Gray played Ernst Blofeld and he didn't just seem right for the part. Maybe it was because he wasn't bald like previous Blofeld actors.

I was a bit amazed at the scenes with 007 and Blofeld in. Blofeld had killed Bond's wife in On Her Majesty's Secret Service and you'd have thought Bond would go straight for his throat but Bond was quite calm whilst being in Blofeld's presence.

The action scene at the end wasn't exciting enough in my opinion. The whole film just didn't seem like a Bond movie.

I really hate being critical about films. Connery was a good Bond however and enjoyment can be gained from all the other Bond films he did.

Connery comes out of retirement.

Author: yarborough from northridge, ca
30 October 2001

Sean Connery returned to the role for this one, but why I don't know. The story of this one is like an amateur detective book, but it is somewhat fun. The thrills are gone, however, and Jill St. John sets a new standard in irritating Bond girls. In addition, the action scenes, especially the climatic battle, are horrendously lackluster.