IMDb > Diamonds Are Forever (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Diamonds Are Forever

Diamonds Are Forever More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 26: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Not the Best, but remains my favorite for sentimental Reasons

Author: franeyjarker from Des Moines, IA (USA)
29 December 2000

This, I will grant, is not THE ULTIMATE James Bond film. You must understand, however, that it WAS my first and I do still rank it as my favorite if purely for sentimental reasons. I was in 3rd grade when I saw it and it opened my eyes to the world of 007. Viewing it as an adult, I see some flaws, but I still find it very entertaining if you can suspend belief for 2 hours. (WARNING: May contain potential Spoilers)

The film marked Sean Connery's return as Bond, and expectations were certainly high. Compared to earlier films, he is seen from time to time looking heavier and his toupe' is rather obvious. All that aside, there is enough glitz and glamour in this film to make up for it. The opening scenes before the titles set us up for a Bond who now has personal reasons to eliminate Blofeld. The editing is quick during the fight scene and it sure is good having Sirley Bassey sing the title song like she did for Goldfinger. The rest of the movie has some fun moments as Bond trys to pick up the trail of what seems like an open and shut diamond smuggling scheme. There is a good balance of Bond dialogue (with Charles Gray as Blofeld) and Bond action (car chases that devastate a parking lot in Vegas) that will please most devotees. Jill St. John doesn't grab me as the most outstanding counterpart for Bond, but she is effective enough for what is given within the storyline. The strong points here are Connery, who seems to look about the age we picture Bond in the books, and Charles Gray as Blofeld. There IS some TERRIBLE acting by Bruce Glover and Putter Smith as Wint and Kidd, the assassin team, but you can almost tune this out. I still enjoy this film, because it got me hooked on the series, and while I don't tout it as a Bond masterpiece, it was nice to see Connery back as Bond and it has many entertaining monents if you've seen others. Definitely worth watching.

Rating 8 out of 10.

Good fun

Author: ouija-3 from Finland
24 August 2000

As mentioned before in other reviews, this Bond film is made in the same comic, carefree spirit as the Roger Moore films that were to follow.

Diamonds Are Forever is a relaxed and highly entertaining film that refuses to take itself seriously, which makes it easy to watch. Connery looks older, admittedly, but is very likeable and fits the character perfectly. There are strange characters (Wint and Kidd, Willard Whyte) and goings-on (the moon buggy ride) that keep the interest up.

John Barry's soundtrack distinctly different from other Bond films being at times comical, at times slightly creepy, with a very jazzy, Manciniesque feeling to it. To top it all, the title song is the best in the series.

The films shortcomings include the unglamorous American settings and accents plus a cheesy portrayal of Blofeld by Charles Gray, who seems to be in his Rocky Horror Picture Show mood. Unfortunately, since glamour is one of the most important ingredients of the Bond films, the film suffers from the lack of it.

Nevertheless, a very entertaining, slightly weird Bond film laden with delightfully witty one-liners.

What a great Bond film.

Author: adam.kyles from adam.kyles@btinternet.com
23 August 2000

This is a fantastic Bond film! It provides humour as well as action. Tiffany Case is the most interesting Bond girl. The only problem is Blofeld is played by somebody else (again!) Apart from that, this is truly brilliant. 5 star out of 5.

What a fun Film!

Author: movie_lover_gurl from America
6 August 2000

It would take a stupid idiot to dare to say that Sean Connery is "wooden" as Bond and "much too old" at this point to be playing Bond. It should be obvious that this is not the case at all and he is for sure the best Bond ever! This movie is far from boring from the start. The story starts out with the British government suspecting a Diamond smuggling scheme. Of course they send James Bond out to investigate the case. He soon finds out that this is not any simple case when he finds out that Ernst Blofield, his arch nemesis, is behind it! Jill St John co stars as Tiffany Case the first American Bond girl. This movie is alot of fun and I hope that many other people enjoy it for years to come! 5 stars/ 5 stars

a bitt campy but not too catchy

Author: steve-667 from Amsterdam
24 February 2000

The return of Connery in a witty adventure more suitable for Moore. The beginning promises a great spell with the killing of Blofeld to revenge his wife´s dead. But after this it al goes downhill. Las Vegas isn't the place for Bond, okay it´s exciting but that doesn't make it a good setting for a Bondmovie. To say that Connery is looking too old is a joke because today he´s looking better than ever, so that's not the problem. Also the girls are looking fine in their top and the fighting scenes between Bond and the elastic black girls are entertaining. The final taking place at sea isn't so bad either. The music score is one of the best, especially the giant song by miss Bassey. I think its the high expectation of the return of Connery, which is not entirely fulfilled. 6 out of 10, because Bond can't be bad.

The Return of Sean Connery

Author: halkyra from Alabama, USA
25 July 1999

After fan dislike of On Her Majesty's Secret Service which was releashed in 1969, MGM paid an enormous amount to get Connery back as bond. The rage at the beginning of the movie is a direct result of On Her Majesty's Secret Service's surprise ending. Bond after destroying Ernst Blofeld in the beginning must return to regular duty by investigating a diamond smuggling ring which brings him to Las Vegas to where another plot twist happens. Not the best Bond movie but the Elevator ride from the outside of the Vegas Hotel is a classic.

The worst of a good bunch.

Author: Mike Allison from Leamington, England
22 April 1999

This is the only Bond film I've ever watched and felt bored. Mr Kidd and Mr Wint steal the film, the Bond girls are bland, uninspiring, and are quite frankly, involved too much. Like Thunderball, it survives through the strength of the franchise.

The title song however, is a different matter, being one of the best.

A New Era For 007

Author: Eric-62 from Athens, OH
20 April 1999

Sean Connery's one-shot return aside, this film really marks the beginning of the emphasis on lighthearted escapist fun that would typify the Roger Moore era of 007. While it's unfortunate that the script does not refer to Blofeld's murder of Bond's wife Tracy at the end of the previous film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" it's probably understandable that the producers wanted to avoid all possible references to George Lazenby's tenure. If one is willing to accept "Diamonds" according to the new formula, it succeeds brilliantly. Jill St. John is absolutely sexy as Tiffany Case and one of the best Bond girls of the series (though I wish Raquel Welch had done the part)

Not Bond or Connerys finest,but still a decent Bond film,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
1 August 2012

Diamonds Are Forever is a good movie with good action,good storyline,humor and a good cast.Its definitely not the best James Bond movie or even Sean Connerys greatest Bond film,but its still a decent film.Sean Connery is still largely considered the greatest Bond ever,passing out his later Bonds such as Roger Moore,Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig.I personally think that Pierce Brosnan is the greatest Bond,I always liked him and I actually know a woman who lives near me whos first cousins with Brosnan,I didn't believe it until see showed a picture of him and her when he was in his teens,and hes aged very well.However,I do understand why Sean Connery would be considered the best because he brought us some terrific Bonds,such as Dr No,but Diamonds Are Forever wouldn't be at the top of that list.

A investigation on diamond smuggling leads James Bond (Sean Connery) and his partner Tiffany Case (Jill St. John) to Las Vegas,where Bond discovers a plan by his nemesis,Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Licensed not to thrill

Author: tonynworah from Nigeria
28 February 2011

Diamonds Are Forever is no doubt Sean Connery's worst Bond outing. In Dr. No, Connery was charting in untested waters. It made him tight and wound up. In From Russia With Love, Connery had grown more comfortable in his role and appeared more relaxed than in the movie than its predecessor. With the solid performance of the two movies, Connery had every right to be confident about the Bond franchise and the confidence showed in Goldfinger and Thunderball. That confidence metamorphosed into a slight arrogance in You Only Lie Twice when he announced his intention to resign from the Bond movies.

In Diamonds Are Forever, the arrogance became over bloated and Connery's performance was the nonchalance of a sleepwalker who knew that no matter where he walked, he was not going to fall off the cliff. His nonchalance could be understandable. George Lazenby and announced that he will no longer revive the role of 007. The James Bond owners were desperate. They needed someone to reaffirm the Bond fans that Bond was still alive. So they licked their wounds, went back to Connery and paid him US$1.7million which made him the highest paid actor of the year and earned him a spot in Guiness Book of Records as the highest paid actor. Connery also managed to convince them to bankroll two or three movies of his choice.

With all this drama, it was no wonder that Connery's performance bordered on conceit. He hardly put in an effort. The energy that drove him in the previous movies was missing. And the plot itself was…(shudder!) Diamonds are being smuggled out of the British Mines in South Africa (the apartheid policy is conveniently ignored) at an alarming rate. Bond is sent to discover who is responsible and poses as a diamond smuggler to infiltrate the organization. While doing that, he has to contend with such flamboyant characters like the homosexual hit duo called Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd, his beautiful handler-Tiffany Case, and a host of other unsavoury characters. Of course, it turns out that his old nemesis, Blofeld is behind the diamond smuggling intending to use the diamonds as a brilliant weapon that will hold nations to ransom.

Of course, most Bond plots are completely ridiculous, and DAF falls into that category. But it was not just ridiculous, it was like a parody or spoof of Bond films. And the actors were just behaving like incompetent clowns trying hard to make us laugh.

Charles Gray gives a witless performance as Blofeld. Jill St. John was the hapless female is distress who was working for the bad guys until she met Bond and started working for the good guys.

All the other regulars were present, Bernard Lee as M, Lois Maxwell as Moneypenny, and always the scene stealer Desmond Llewywn as Q.

The film still was a money maker, mainly based on fans excited to see Connery back in the role again. It was just a pity that Connery refused to deliver to his fans.