IMDb > Diamonds Are Forever (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Diamonds Are Forever

Diamonds Are Forever More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 27: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

One of the Bond let downs but still enjoyable

Author: FilmFanInTheHouse from Berkshire, England
28 December 2006

Diamonds Are Forever is the return of Sean Connery to the role of 007. His mission is to successfully smuggle diamonds into USA, unaware that Blofeld is behind the scheme.

The film is mainly set in Las Vegas but also includes other stunning locations. The reason i feel the 7th 007 movie lets itself down is the weak action. Each film includes something stunning which you remember all the time. The only real memorable sequence from this film is a car chase through Las Vegas, with an unforgivable turn for a car in a narrow alley, which needs to be seen to be believed how bad it looks.

Jill St.John plays a good character in Tiffany Case, but does not play Tiffany Case as a good Bond Girl. Her and Bond don't spend enough time together to create that romantic link between the two. She feels more like an allie to Bond rather than his love interest. Jimmy Dean was also perfectly cast as Willard Whyte. He really came across as a high profiled American who likes things to go his way. As the films have gone on, the great character has seemed to decrease in Ernst Blofeld. This time we have the wonderful Charles Gray portraying him, but his talent is put to waste. He should have be on screen more with a menacing tone, instead of dressing up in drag to capture the Bond girl.

John Barrys greatness when it comes to soundtracks also seems to be lacking in this addition. Shirley Bassey returns to perform another great piece of theme music, although it won't be as memorable as Goldfinger.

Whilst Diamonds Are Forever has many flaws, it is still an enjoyable Bond film to watch, but then again, what Bond film isn't enjoyable to watch.

James Bond will return in.... Live And Let Die

James Bond frolics through Las Vegas in pursuit of Dastardly Diamond smugglers.

Author: J.D. Corcoran from Las Vegas, NV
21 November 2002

After more than 30 years, Las Vegas still feels the impact of this movie. The Nevada Film Office, headquartered in Las Vegas, still receives the occasional call from a visitor asking where is the hotel in which James Bond played "craps" with Plenty O'Toole? It has an amazing resiliency that has lasted for decades, and one of the most famous car stunt continuity flubs ever seen in a major motion picture -- with a stunt car going into an alley up on one angle and exiting the narrow space facing the other way! Although it was caught and covered with an "explaining" shot before general release, just exactly WHERE in that alley did James find room to flip the car over? Bravo and kudos to Sean Connery and all involved with the James Bond franchise, for creating a unique Bond installment that stands alone in much of its tongue-in-cheek humor, sarcasm, double entendre, and overall sense of fun in the Grownup Playground of the World: Las Vegas, Nevada. How impressive it is that this particular Bond movie endures and entertains viewers to such a notable degree after thirty-plus years!

Hokey and corny but pretty enjoyable

Author: Jeff (Inthegoodlife@Aol.com) from Jacksonville, FL
4 March 2002

Diamonds are Forever is by far the goofiest of the Connery Bonds yet is pretty entertaining. The plot centers around the theft and transfer of diamonds by SPECTRE so that Blofeld can create a doomsday laser. The diamond exchanges and subsequent murders are methodical and fun. Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd and annoying but make interesting assassins. Connery looks a little worn since Dr. No and Bond's VIP status is played up more than usual. Charles Gray's Blofeld is extremely foppish and feminine, even playing drag at one point. Diamonds has a very funny script and supplies Connery and Gray with several witty and eloquent lines, respectively. Gray makes a much more laid back and stable Blofeld then his predecessors and Connery is also relaxed as Bond, although not as cool as in previous efforts. Jill St. John as Tiffany Case makes an extremely irritating Bond heroine and Jimmy Dean is very stiff and loud as Willard Whyte. The movies strengths are it's wit, solid plot and Vegas as a perfect Bond setting. The action is acceptable but a little dull. A pretty good Bond with Connery back in the saddle.

6.5/10

above average

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
7 September 2001

Sean Connery's performance as 007 makes this complicated movie worthwhile as he tracks down a valuable set of diamonds that might be used to destroy the world by providing a laser with its energy source. Charles Gray also does a fine job in the bad guy role.

** 1/2 out of ****

Good fun

Author: ouija-3 from Finland
24 August 2000

As mentioned before in other reviews, this Bond film is made in the same comic, carefree spirit as the Roger Moore films that were to follow.

Diamonds Are Forever is a relaxed and highly entertaining film that refuses to take itself seriously, which makes it easy to watch. Connery looks older, admittedly, but is very likeable and fits the character perfectly. There are strange characters (Wint and Kidd, Willard Whyte) and goings-on (the moon buggy ride) that keep the interest up.

John Barry's soundtrack distinctly different from other Bond films being at times comical, at times slightly creepy, with a very jazzy, Manciniesque feeling to it. To top it all, the title song is the best in the series.

The films shortcomings include the unglamorous American settings and accents plus a cheesy portrayal of Blofeld by Charles Gray, who seems to be in his Rocky Horror Picture Show mood. Unfortunately, since glamour is one of the most important ingredients of the Bond films, the film suffers from the lack of it.

Nevertheless, a very entertaining, slightly weird Bond film laden with delightfully witty one-liners.

What a fun Film!

Author: movie_lover_gurl from America
6 August 2000

It would take a stupid idiot to dare to say that Sean Connery is "wooden" as Bond and "much too old" at this point to be playing Bond. It should be obvious that this is not the case at all and he is for sure the best Bond ever! This movie is far from boring from the start. The story starts out with the British government suspecting a Diamond smuggling scheme. Of course they send James Bond out to investigate the case. He soon finds out that this is not any simple case when he finds out that Ernst Blofield, his arch nemesis, is behind it! Jill St John co stars as Tiffany Case the first American Bond girl. This movie is alot of fun and I hope that many other people enjoy it for years to come! 5 stars/ 5 stars

a bitt campy but not too catchy

Author: steve-667 from Amsterdam
24 February 2000

The return of Connery in a witty adventure more suitable for Moore. The beginning promises a great spell with the killing of Blofeld to revenge his wife´s dead. But after this it al goes downhill. Las Vegas isn't the place for Bond, okay it´s exciting but that doesn't make it a good setting for a Bondmovie. To say that Connery is looking too old is a joke because today he´s looking better than ever, so that's not the problem. Also the girls are looking fine in their top and the fighting scenes between Bond and the elastic black girls are entertaining. The final taking place at sea isn't so bad either. The music score is one of the best, especially the giant song by miss Bassey. I think its the high expectation of the return of Connery, which is not entirely fulfilled. 6 out of 10, because Bond can't be bad.

A New Era For 007

Author: Eric-62 from Athens, OH
20 April 1999

Sean Connery's one-shot return aside, this film really marks the beginning of the emphasis on lighthearted escapist fun that would typify the Roger Moore era of 007. While it's unfortunate that the script does not refer to Blofeld's murder of Bond's wife Tracy at the end of the previous film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" it's probably understandable that the producers wanted to avoid all possible references to George Lazenby's tenure. If one is willing to accept "Diamonds" according to the new formula, it succeeds brilliantly. Jill St. John is absolutely sexy as Tiffany Case and one of the best Bond girls of the series (though I wish Raquel Welch had done the part)

A more tame Bond

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
3 March 2014

Rating-7/10

Diamonds are Forever is in my opinion one of the best examples of what Bond is, with sophistication and some great action like moves he glides along does Bond and with Sean Connery returning slightly older, her still knows how to stop the world's worst. A fun film that is also slightly funny at times and I felt it was strongly a kind of good film and here below is why I felt that about Diamonds Are Forever.

The story is fun and set mostly in the USA and when he is Las Vegas it works really well as Bond get's to show off his charm even more among the numerous bars and casino's there. I like the pace as it is slightly slower than Connery's previous outings but still churns out a good story and great villains all who make the film even more fun. I also loved the stunts as they are ridiculous but they also work with this film and make it much more fun and exciting to watch.

Connery is back and his job in this is a firm one albeit he is very old I this to portray the kind of Bond he is trying to show. The Bond girl is Jill St. John and she is probably the most feisty Bond girl there is and seems to object to everything Bond does in the film. I loved the villains and not Just Blofeld(Charles Gray) but also Wint and Mr Kidd who play two of the most villainous Bond villains ever and are possibly the most calm yet sadistic movie villains in any film ever.

The script and direction are average and to be fair are the same typical type of things we expect to see from Bond in his earlier showings. I loved the action sequences and well although Bond may take a slight back seat with the action he still manages to get in some great stunts and some good fight sequences that are we choreographed. One stunt you will see, I won't give it away, but it involves a car and Bond makes it do a certain thing which is well, well it must be near impossible but you will see.

The movie can be slow at times and you can even feel it is becoming stale at parts but it manages to hold up enough not too. I said before he sits back on the action and he does very much so, maybe Connery didn't want as much action as he was older but he seems to get by with little action, although I did feel it did well even without the bags of action we usually see. Another criticism would be the apparent Homophobia in where the villains are seen as a Homosexual couple and it is sometimes thought that because of there sexuality they are evil, it is never confirmed and should do little to offend.

Any Bond fan should like this as it show's off exactly what I feel Bond is known for, but also show's a more reserved Bond who studies the situation much better than in every other film. If you like a good crime spy adventure then this if or you too, it had gadgets, action and the fun criminals involved too, most should enjoy this as it can be very rewarding and fun.

I give it a 7/10 meaning a strongly a kind of good film, I felt maybe I overrated it after but hey it is a fun film and can be thoroughly enjoyed as well. When you watch just don't think about the plot and enjoy the quick snappy humour of Connery in his last Eon produced Bond role, in the truth the end of one of the best Bond's, and many consider him the best of all of them.

007 Begins to Lose Momentum with Forgettable 7th Film

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
4 January 2014

Having revisited the final canonical Sean Connery 007 film, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, I have to admit that I was wrong. I don't necessarily hate this movie, and I don't believe it's the worst Connery 007 movie in the series. That said, it's still an incredibly weak entry and a low note for Sean Connery's end to his official series run. After George Lazenby and ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE didn't perform as well as the studio had hoped (though it was still a success), their mission became to replicate the massive success of GOLDFINGER through any means necessary. All the signs are there: Sean Connery in the title role, Shirley Bassey performing the main theme, James Bond returning to America to unravel a complex bit of villainy, and a more toned down film that discards a lot (but not all) of the over-the-top elements of the previous films. The result is a tonally dull and overly complex that, while mildly entertaining at times, is pretty unmemorable. Following the events of the previous film, 007 concludes his worldwide manhunt for SPECTRE leader Ernst Stavro Blofeld when he confronts him and apparently kills him in a plastic surgery facility. From there, he is called in to investigate a diamond smuggling ring out of South Africa in which the diamonds have never resurfaced. When people in the smuggling chain start turning up dead, Bond finds a point of contact in Tiffany Case (Jill St. John) and poses as a smuggler to infiltrate the organization.

In a sense, it was good to have Connery back in the title role. But any good will the movie has from that is soon dissolved once we get into the movie itself. From the very beginning, I felt we were off on the wrong foot when it's revealed that Charles Gray has stepped into the shoes of iconic villain Blofeld. I don't have anything against Gray (though the only other time I've seen him on film was as the short-lived MI6 contact Henderson in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE) but he doesn't fit the Blofeld mold. The series had gone through a few Blofelds at this point and I'd always wished they'd chosen one actor (preferably Donald Pleasance) and run with him. So, a new Blofeld and it's Charles Gray. It didn't work for me but it could've been forgiven if the rest of the movie wasn't so flawed. Let's move on to Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd. Bizarre as they were, my major complaint with them had to be the fact that Putter Smith (Mr. Kidd) can't act. This is because he's not an actor. It shows. His line delivery is awkward and lifeless, and it ruins any potential creepiness coming from Bruce Glover's Mr. Wint. Let's shift to some positive casting: the Bond women in this movie are some of the hottest. Jill St. John and Lana Wood are both gorgeous and, while Plenty O'Toole (Wood) is sort of annoying, Tiffany Case (St. John) could be considered one of the stronger Bond women of the earlier films. She's tough and independent, even if she doesn't know her associates well enough to know if she should truly trust them.

Oh, one more bit of bad casting: Jimmy Dean, country star/sausage guru, as business mogul Willard Whyte. Yup.

Now, I am happy that the movie attempted to tone down a lot of the over-the-top campiness of some of the more recent fare. No orbital space capsule hijackings, no phony rear projection bobsled chases, etc. The bulk of this movie handles itself with some class. Until the moon buggy chase. At one point, Bond is escaping from an industrial complex where they're filming some sort of moon landing and Bond commandeers the goofiest looking moon buggy you'll ever see, drives it through a wall, and goes bouncing off through the Nevada desert pursued by guards on strange little motor tricycles with balloon tires. As Bond careens around the desert a medium speeds, cars and motor tricycles go barreling out of control and launch off sand dunes by the guards who've apparently never operated a motor vehicle. I'm sorry, but this sequence (when combined with Wint and Kidd…mostly Kidd) ruins any credibility the movie hoped to maintain. It doesn't do the movie any favors that the plot comes across as way more complex than necessary. Around the midpoint of the film, I totally lose track of who has the diamonds and where they're going and I don't regain my bearings until Bond busts into Whyte's top-floor penthouse.

DIAMONDS ARE FORVER isn't the worst 007 film but it's far from one of the best. It's decent entertainment at times but there's nothing here (aside from the moon buggy chase) that remained with me after the final credits rolled when I first saw the movie years ago. The entire final act, with an assault on an oil rig, is a dud. I'd completely forgotten all about it until I rewatched the film again not long ago. As the seventh film in the series, it gives the impression that the series began to lose some steam and the 007 hit machine might not be as invulnerable as it once seemed.