IMDb > Diamonds Are Forever (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Diamonds Are Forever

Diamonds Are Forever More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 29: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

THE hands down WORST Bond film of all time!

Author: houseofjames from Canada
31 March 2008

What an embarrassment this film is! Following the masterpiece of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, one would have expected a solid revenge pic, following Bond's attempts to avenge his lovely wife Tracey, killed by Ernst Blofeld and his assistant. Instead, we get a mindless, shrill, completely unreal parody of Ian Fleming's brilliant master spy.

Sean Connery returns after a sabbatical, older, tubbier and less interested in his legendary role than ever. He is joined by a plethora of over-acting actors playing moronic characters: chief amongst them are Jill St John, who easily wins the medal of most annoying Bond girl of all time; Jimmy Dean, who's boneheaded Texan drawl adds more than a few eye-rolls to the movie.

The film is also burdened with one of the most convoluted plots of all Bond films, which is very odd considering how cartoonish the whole setup is. Some good special effects just cannot compensate for all the inane hijacks that accompany them.

I have to say this right now, and that is I love James Bond and everything about him, but this film is so embarrassingly bad, I don;t even consider it Bond canon. It is just a really, really lame film.

The worst of the Connery offerings

Author: mnpollio from United States
23 March 2007

Hands down the worst of the Connery Bonds. After the dismal efforts of George Lazenby, producers ponied up and returned Connery to the fold for one last go at the role. Almost nothing works in this dreary entry which plays more like a low-rent heist caper on an episode of Starsky & Hutch than a big screen spy caper. The majority of the action takes place in Las Vegas, which was hardly an exotic locale even in the 1970s.

Bond: The good news is Connery is back and Lazenby is gone. The bad news is that Connery is on total auto-pilot in this film. He is so obviously filled with disdain for the part at this junction that one almost wishes he had not agreed to return for this entry.

The villains: Charles Gray is the third actor in a row to attempt to do something with the thankless Ernst Blofeld role and (as with his predecessors) fails miserably. Thankfully this would be the last time that Blofeld would be used as the main Bond nemesis. The less said about Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd, who play like rejected villains from a bad Batman episode, the better.

The women: Jill St. John makes a strong first impression as the tough-as-nails Tiffany Case, then her character does an about-face. By the final act, she is a typical bikini-clad bimbo acting as though she does not have a brain in her head and becoming more an obstruction to Bond rather than an equal or an assistant. And I have yet to figure out what Lana Wood and her copious cleavage are supposed to be in this film. Did the majority of her role land on the cutting room floor or something? It literally makes no sense.

By the time Jimmy Dean shows up with "Bambi & Thumper" even the most die-hard Bond fan will want to tune out.

Connery`s Worst Bond Outing

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
29 January 2003

For many people James Bond is Sean Connery but that doesn`t mean a Bond film is an instant classic because Connery is in it . DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER is barely watchable enough , just think how bad it could have been without Big Sean

***** SPOILERS ******

What I hate about this film is there is no internal continuity with OHMSS . Blofeld killed Bond`s wife in the previous movie and it starts with Bond on the revenge trail where Bond apparently kills Blofeld in the pre title sequence , but as the film continues and it`s revealed Blofeld isn`t really dead all that`s gone before is quickly forgotten about as if it never happened in the first place . If they were going to ignore all this then why couldn`t the producers just kill off Blofeld and introduce another meglomanaic villain . Like wise Charles Gray`s performance is totally unconvincing , can you imagine Donald Plesance from YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE appearing in drag smoking a cigarette from a holder in an entirely camp manner ?

The production values are also very poor . The script resembles one of the latter Moore films where lots of things may happen but serves to disguise the fact that there is nothing happening plot wise . Are Blofeld`s henchman SPECTRE ? If so it`s never mentioned on screen and I found their garish uniforms of pale blue jumpsuits and red helmets both irritating and laughable . Jill St John plays one of the most forgettable Bond girls and director Guy Hamilton has a real bad off day especially during the action climax featuring the superimposed explosions of helicopters

There are a couple of good points about DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER which stop it from being a contender for worst Bond film . There is the welcome return of Connery in the lead and I couldn`t help but enjoy the inclusion of a couple of gay hitmen , the scene where one of them is dispatched with a bomb between his legs still brings a wry smile to my face though Bond`s wise crack after this causes me to groan out loud

Unbelievably lousy

Author: josephpturner from United States
12 February 2009

I'm an old man of 58 who saw this when it first came out. I think I remember thinking it was OK. I watched it and other Bond film again because I could see them in HD. I'm sort of amazed at how weak and lazy this film was, just a fraction of the creativity of the first four Bond films (Dr. No, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love and Thunderball). When I say "fraction," I mean about a tenth as good. In those earlier films, you could have some success jumping into fantasy land and imagining being part of the action and suspense, so to speak. In this film, you'd fall asleep even trying! Connery had gain so much weight and looked so old that he is unbelievable as a carrier of "00" designation.

All I can say is, gee, I wish I could have make as much money in my life as Connery did here and give almost nothing to customer to earn it.

Finally, I liked seeing Jill St. John in high def, actually my main reason to watch this. She is extremely attractive here. She's about 68 years now. I wonder if she is still a "10" for that age category.

You never know what the future will bring.

Author: nrd515 . from Toledo, Ohio
26 November 2016

I thought this one was a lot of fun when I saw it when I was 15 years old, and it still amuses me. Of all the Connery Bond movies, Never Say Never is the worst, and Thunderball is close behind. Is it great? No. But it's not bad, and IMHO, is a lot better than some of the later ones with Roger Moore who was too old at the end of his run. I thought Mr Kidd and Mr. Wint were very amusing, Bruce Glover resembled a neighbor of mine at the time, which would have mortified the neighbor, a nutty guy that tried to stab my dog with a pitchfork once. Jimmy Dean was fine, as was most of the cast.

I never had a clue I would move to Las Vegas 1n '75, and in 1979 start working in a Hotel (Nevada Hotel, 235 S. Main, closed now, and it appears to have been bought by the Golden Nugget for some future project) built where the car chase was filmed! And then a year or so later, I was driving on the opposite side of town from where I lived and saw the "Slumber Inc" building! I thought it was just a building with a fake front on it in the movie, but it was the real thing, a funeral home, with a different name, of course. I can't remember if it was "Bunker Brothers" or something else now, But I went inside and it appeared the inside of the building was used for at least some of the scenes that took place in it.

Sean Connery is back from vacation

Author: kikvadze03 from Batumi, Georgia
29 November 2015

This movie and 2015's SPECTRE are on the same level to me with this movie being slightly better in my view. It's good but not great. Guy Hamilton from Goldfinger returns to direct this film. Shirley Bassey is also back to give us another fantastic Bond song. Sean Connery is back as well after his "vacation" as bond. His performance in this film can match that of first three Bond films. Ernst Stavro Blofeld is back is in this film creating the "Blofeld Trilogy" in Bond movies - You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Diamonds are Forever (a little different from the Blofeld Trilogy of the novels). Charles Gray plays Blofeld in this film, while not as good as the previous Blofeld actors, he still manages to be entertaining. Mr. Wint (Bruce Glover) and Mr. Kidd (Putter Smith) are one of the best henchmen ever, they're hilarious but also murderous. Jill St. John plays an amazing Bond girl - Tiffany Case, a girl who is a bit tougher than most Bond girls. The plot is about diamonds and is one of the stupidest Bond plots ever. Special effects are also some of the lamest, looking horribly dated and fake. The movie also goes too far with comedy, even more than Moore films, making this feel more like a parody than an actual Bond film. Bond also rides a moon buggy in this film... really? Anyway this movie is stuck with 7/10 rating from me forever forever forever... forever and ever...

Not that Bad

Author: Yog Sawhaw from Ann Arbor, Michigan
20 September 2014

Maybe it's because I had pretty low expectations for this movie, but I actually kind of liked it. I didn't think it would be very good because everyone says it's one of the worst in the series and also because the book, in my opinion, is the second worst of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels (The Spy Who Loved Me is slightly worse). The movie is pretty fun. The plot and action were good. And Jill St. John is, in my opinion, the most beautiful of all the Bond girls. I didn't think her acting was so good but I didn't really care.

I was kind of disappointed by the climax, though. The movie just turned into a more subdued Thunderball, with Blofeld blackmailing the world with the threat of destroying it. (It is a bit more interesting than the book, though - plain diamond smuggling just isn't all that exciting.) And the special effects in the climax are among the worst in the series, if not the worst. When Blofeld destroys missiles and submarines with his laser and when the helicopters attacking Blofeld's oil rig lair, it all looks pretty fake.

So Diamonds Are Forever is definitely not the best in the series, but it's also not the absolute worst.

"Sorry about your fulsome friend . . . "

Author: Edgar Allan Pooh from The Gutters of Baltimore
28 April 2014

. . . Jill St. John, as "Tiffany Case," consoles Sean Connery's "James Bond" midway through DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. One would have wonder exactly WHICH "fulsome friend" Ms. St. John is lamenting. Two of the likely candidates are "Marie" and "Plenty." Neither character is on-screen long enough to even qualify for MLB's proverbial "cup of coffee." Bond rips off Marie's bikini top and garrotes her with it. Since the uncredited Denise Perrier, who played Marie, was not as famous as Ms. St. John, her chest points are clearly visible during this violent episode (1:44) and NOT modestly covered by pasties, as is the case when Bond beds Tiffany (1:08:30). This psychopathic sex-killing set-up (even if not carried to an ultimate conclusion) clearly inspired director Alfred Hitchcock's only topless scene the following year in FRENZY. (As a fellow Brit, Hitchcock was insanely jealous of Bond's glory and box office, churning out pale imitations such as TOPAZ and TORN CURTAIN in his declining years.) On the other hand, actress Lana Wood, as DIAMONDS' "Plenty O'Toole," suffers from benign neglect. Miss O'Toole spends plenty of her brief on-screen time during this film in swimming pools, being "doubled" by stunt-women and\or dummies. While "Plenty" may be more "fulsome" than "Marie," neither woman is likely to keep "Tiffany" awake at night. Perhaps a more intriguing point to note is that DIAMONDS' final Bond triumph just before the end credits depends on its audience accepting as "fact" that gays know nothing about wine!

Bond #7: Down to earth

Author: unbrokenmetal from Hamburg, Germany
8 July 2008

Fleming's novels were more than once accused of sadism by critics, fortunately in most cases, not much of that made it into the movies. "Diamonds Are Forever", though, has not only some scenes of very dark humor (for example when Plenty is thrown out of the window - and the killer "apologises" for her safe landing with the words "I didn't know there was a pool down there"), but regrettably also a few others that border on the tasteless. I am thinking of the way Bond disposes of the 2 killers on the cruise ship, or when he happily says he "sincerely hopes" Franks is dead - in these scenes, the audience gets the impression he actually enjoys killing people in interesting, painful ways which is a long way from the old-school type of hero that would kill only for self-defense or if it really can't be avoided. From the fantasy in "Goldfinger" and "You Only Live Twice", we are down to earth here which also shows in the locations that are not exotic, but plainly continental Europe (Amsterdam) and the USA. There even is a car chase scene which would fit into anything from "Smokey And the Bandit" to "Kojak", but for Bond it's below standard to trash a few cars. What I liked best: the escape with the moon car is funny and unusual, the 2 athletic ladies kicking Bond where it hurts were a novelty, and I liked Charles Gray as a villain with a good reason to attack Washington DC ("If we destroy Kansas, the world may not hear about it for years"). Instead of a little known Bond girl whose participation in a Bond is the only highlight of her career, this time we get to see an actress already known for her other movies: Jill St.John was a great choice for the part of Tiffany Case. Not one of the top 10 Bond movies, but "Diamonds Are Forever" still has a handful of good moments.

One of the Bond let downs but still enjoyable

Author: FilmFanInTheHouse from Berkshire, England
28 December 2006

Diamonds Are Forever is the return of Sean Connery to the role of 007. His mission is to successfully smuggle diamonds into USA, unaware that Blofeld is behind the scheme.

The film is mainly set in Las Vegas but also includes other stunning locations. The reason i feel the 7th 007 movie lets itself down is the weak action. Each film includes something stunning which you remember all the time. The only real memorable sequence from this film is a car chase through Las Vegas, with an unforgivable turn for a car in a narrow alley, which needs to be seen to be believed how bad it looks.

Jill St.John plays a good character in Tiffany Case, but does not play Tiffany Case as a good Bond Girl. Her and Bond don't spend enough time together to create that romantic link between the two. She feels more like an allie to Bond rather than his love interest. Jimmy Dean was also perfectly cast as Willard Whyte. He really came across as a high profiled American who likes things to go his way. As the films have gone on, the great character has seemed to decrease in Ernst Blofeld. This time we have the wonderful Charles Gray portraying him, but his talent is put to waste. He should have be on screen more with a menacing tone, instead of dressing up in drag to capture the Bond girl.

John Barrys greatness when it comes to soundtracks also seems to be lacking in this addition. Shirley Bassey returns to perform another great piece of theme music, although it won't be as memorable as Goldfinger.

Whilst Diamonds Are Forever has many flaws, it is still an enjoyable Bond film to watch, but then again, what Bond film isn't enjoyable to watch.

James Bond will return in.... Live And Let Die