IMDb > Diamonds Are Forever (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Diamonds Are Forever

Diamonds Are Forever More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 28: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

One of the best Bond movies

Author: Chris Gaskin from Derby, England
17 March 2004

Diamonds Are Forever is one of the best Bond movies and one of my favourites. It marked Sean Connery's return to Bond for the first time since You Only Live Twice.

James Bond is sent to Las Vegas to investigate a diamond smuggling operation which turns out to be the responsibility of old rival Blofeld. After several attempts to kill him by Mr Wint and Mr Kidd, he saves the world once again.

The best parts of the movie are the chase with the moon buggy in the Nevada Desert, the car chase through Las Vegas in which several police cars get destroyed and the climax on Blofeld's oil rig.

Joining Sean Connery in this movie are Jill St John (The Lost World) who plays love interest Tiffany Case, Charles Gray (The Devil Rides Out) as Blofeld, Bruce Cabot (King Kong), Laurence Naismith (The Valley of Gwangi), Lana Wood and Jimmy Dean. Bruce Glover and Putter Smith play great parts as male lovers Mr Wint and Mr Kidd. Bond regulars Bernard Lee, Desmond Llewelyn and Lois Maxwell also appear.

I have seen this movie several times and never tire of it.

Rating 5 stars out of 5.

Diamonds & James are a girl's best friend

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
10 April 2003

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER (1971) *** Bond in Las Vegas with bodacious Jill St. John. Neat driving sequence down the Strip.

Glitzy locale is the real star in this rather by-the-numbers entry of the Connery era. Title song sung by Shirley Bassey.

Not the best, but v. entertaining

Author: book addict from Surrey, UK
16 March 2003

In my opinion, Sean Connery is good as Bond here. And for all the people who hate this film, I have two quotes: 'U is for Umbrella. We take it lest it rains. We hope we shan't want it till we're home again.' 'I'm Plenty! Plenty O'Toole!' Yes, although not the best, this is funny! I liked Tiffany's hair changes (Weren't you a blonde when I came in? I tend to notice little things like that), and thought she was a good Bond Girl, but Plenty is prettier, has a cooler name, and is less forgettable. Oh yeah, and: 'Miss Case is quite attractive...for a lady!'

Spoiler Connery's best Bond

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
12 January 2002

SDI before its time, this film is cool, and I love the moon buggy scene. Connery brings back humor to the Bond character. The two henchmen in this film, make it funny and different. This film has a great ending, and ages well. I feel sorry for the police in this film

Back with a vengeance!

Author: Callum Gee from United Kingdom
13 January 2001

Yes, James Bond is back with a vengeance along with the actor, who in most people's eyes, is the ultimate Bond-Sean Connery, now with a couple of gray cells throughout his hairline.

It's the Seventies,and the producers take us into that era of Bond with total grace, finesse, and Schlock!...It's as though Connery had never been away, and to some people 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' was all a bad dream.

The film gets underway with a great opening sequence with Sean asking various dodgy characters 'Where is he?!', as regards to Ernst Stavro Blofeld, and was a great way to start out this adventure. Obviously, the James Bond that Sean portrays is carrying on from where he left off with his portrayal in 'You Only Live Twice' in 1967 and he isn't as melodramatic as would be expected from the events of the previous Bond movie, 'OHMSS'. We are treated to a great car chase in Las Vegas with James getting on the wrong side of American law and order, if you can call it that.

Charles Gray turns in a slightly comic portrayal as Blofeld, but is still quite believable as a modern day villain who doesn't care about the disaster he has caused in the life of James Bond, he certainly wants to create more havoc with his attempts at world domination. Jill St. John and Lana Wood are as sexy as ever with the addition of two 'heavy' Bond girls-'Bambi' and 'Thumper'.

Shirley Bassey belts out the hit theme and alas, we have another popular Bond classic which is to mark the final, albeit, unofficially penultimate outing for Mr. Connery.

Women, casinos, fast cars, murders and deceit = Bond at his best

Author: anonymous from London, England
25 March 1999

This is a classic bond film. It has everything you would expect and more. There are gadgets galore, beautiful women and fascinating locations, along with a classic Bond plot. James bond starts in London as usual but visits Amsterdam, Las Vegas and the Nevada Desert along the way to name just a few. He is pitted against his arch enemy Blofeld once again, who has stolen a considerable amount of diamonds and is planning to use them from space to hold the world to ransom. Bond is of course sent to save the world, win the hand of the lady and arrive home shaken not stirred. This film has probably one of the most memorable car chases of all time featured in it and is worth viewing just for that. An absolute diamond of a film which seems to improve with age, a bit like a good wine.

Terrible Finale for Connery

Author: Ray Hunt from Southampton, United Kingdom
8 December 2015

Firstly, I would like to start by saying that this is my first review. I've never been compelled before, but thought I'd register my disgust with this Bond title.

I am a huge Bond fan. Grew up watching them and always find time to re-watch, especially when the latest flick hits the theatres.

When I judge a Bond film, there are certain criteria I use to assess. Vehicles, gadgets, villains, girls, comedy, locations, plot, Bond himself and the direction to name a few.

Diamonds Are Forever fails on almost everyone of these. The lack of vehicles and gadgets gets to me, but the casting for Blofeld was terrible. For starters, he's not bald, he's not menacing and he's just weak all round.

When Sean Connery quit the role after You Only Live Twice, who would have thought we would have seen him back? I, personally liked George Lazenby's performance as Bond and enjoyed OHMSS. But this film was just one too many for Connery, and for me, ruined his legacy somewhat. It only cost the producers a whopping $1.25m for his services. He failed to live up to expectations.

Guy Hamilton took the directors chair following; possibly the best Bond film ever in Goldfinger, his work here was awful. The fight scenes looked lazy and the acting was bad. How can Bond, looking for revenge for his wife's murder be so civil with Blofeld following OHMSS? The film started like a revenge mission but then things got friendly.

The henchmen Mr Kidd & Mr Wint are by far the worse villains ever on a Bond film and again, the acting is appalling.

The plot isn't even interesting. How many more times can Blofeld hold the world ransom? This time, he's doing it with the aid of a diamond-encrusted laser satellite. Considering this is the last time we see Blofeld, there was no explanation or closure to this character. We even get to see the super-villain and mysterious SPECTRE leader in drag. (Shocking) The whole film skimps on action.

There are a few saving graces to this film. The locations of Amsterdam and Las Vegas gets the thumb up. The performance of Jimmy Dean as reclusive billionaire Willard Whyte was surprisingly a good casting job. (The only one) The pre-credit scene was good and should have continued in this vein.

I score this movie 3 out of 10. It's the worse Bond film by far. Connery should have never come back. Maybe on my next re-watch, I'll skip straight to the Roger Moore legacy.

Bond Struggles with the Uncertainty of Middle Age

Author: Sean Lamberger from Bradenton, FL
18 April 2014

A real disaster of a flick that clearly reflects the uncertainty and disarray surrounding the franchise at the time. With George Lazenby out of the picture and a small cavalcade of fill-ins dropping off for one reason or another, EON pressed the panic button and brought Sean Connery out of mothballs for a swan song. It's a mistake from the very start. Not only does Connery look unreasonably old for the part, he badly overplays his confidence and worldliness, often coming off as desperate and smarmy. The screen is crowded with gaudy sideshow characters, including a trashy, ditsy leading lady and two villainous hit men who seem far more concerned with excessively elaborate setups than actually doing away with anybody. Even longtime nemesis Blofeld, who may have been the sole beacon of excellence in the equally-forgettable You Only Live Twice, is ruined by an awful recasting, horrendous new personality quirks and a master plan that makes no sense whatsoever. But that's par for the course, really, as the plot at large is peppered with so many dumb jokes and absurd asides that just keeping up with this swerving, goofball storyline is a challenge worthy of MI-6. There's a good car chase midway through the second act (which loses some steam thanks to a similar pursuit, just a few minutes earlier, involving a freaking moon rover) and a few of the gags are so mind-blowingly stupid that I couldn't help but laugh, but otherwise this is a completely insignificant chapter in the character's long, speckled history. Unless you're a dedicated completist, keep your distance.

Bond Month #7: Oh Wow this Sucks

Author: Theflyace from United States
11 October 2013

After the Lazenby departed the series after one outing in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, the relieved producers and fans were gung-ho to get Sean Connery back, paying him a record sum of a million dollars. They were also concerned that Bond was falling out of touch with audiences. What to do about this? I KNOW! How about a campy, silly, over-the-top cornball of a movie that would never work in any galaxy. Brilliant!!!! This movie, Diamonds are Forever, sucks.

The story involves Bond stopping a diamond smuggling ring by the now so-silly villain I want to strangle him Blofeld (played ineptly by Charles Gray)and his seemingly gay henchman Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd. He also joins forces with initially interesting but then falls into bimbo- status Tiffany Case, ho-ho funny. (played profoundly awfully by Jill St-John) This story and how it plays out is so ungodly bland I refuse to talk about it anymore. In fact, I think this movie makes You Only Live Twice look like a bearable film.

Sean Connery looks so old and slower in this film that it makes me feel uncomfortable. He plays James Bond like a parody, sort of an Adam West version of it. ("Fun" fact: Adam West was considered to take over the role from Lazenby) The rest of the cast is downright poor too, given poor lines and situations to act in. Jimmy Dean, "the sausage king," is even given a pivotal role, ugh.

This movie is just way to jokey and cynical to be passable as a film. I feel bad for Tom Mankiewicz, not because he did a poor job, but because he was directed to do so by the producers. What seemed like the norm back then, didn't even make those cinema-goers laugh. Good thing he redeemed himself in the next Bond film, and he later did a fantastic job as the writer of Superman I and II: The Richard Donner Cut.

There is only one thing about this movie that is awesome. The car chase in Las Vegas. Not only is the car involved a Boss 302 Mustang, but the fact that it is driven on two wheels which is amazing. That is the highlight of this awful movie.

So ya, this movie is as bad as my review suggests.

Well... onto the new era with Roger Moore with Live and Let Die.

End Of Classic Era With Connery Last As Bond

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
24 September 2011

Starting Sean Conerry as James bond in diamonds are forever for the last time. in 1971

he did some unofficial films too but that doesn't count here but this one is his last & best.

Sean Connery looks fantastic as bond & the story is awesome

bond goes on a mission to find out where are the missing diamonds,why are many people after them & who's behind it.

the bond girls are bad here but the movie is entertaining so sit back & pick this up.you wont regret.

the ost,direction,action,plot & acting is top quality here that we don't find in new movies these days.

this is awesome then Daniel Craig movies.

i enjoyed this one & i recommend this to all people & bond fans.

this is a must watch movie 10/10