IMDb > Diamonds Are Forever (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Diamonds Are Forever

Diamonds Are Forever More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 26: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

One of the best Bond movies

Author: Chris Gaskin from Derby, England
17 March 2004

Diamonds Are Forever is one of the best Bond movies and one of my favourites. It marked Sean Connery's return to Bond for the first time since You Only Live Twice.

James Bond is sent to Las Vegas to investigate a diamond smuggling operation which turns out to be the responsibility of old rival Blofeld. After several attempts to kill him by Mr Wint and Mr Kidd, he saves the world once again.

The best parts of the movie are the chase with the moon buggy in the Nevada Desert, the car chase through Las Vegas in which several police cars get destroyed and the climax on Blofeld's oil rig.

Joining Sean Connery in this movie are Jill St John (The Lost World) who plays love interest Tiffany Case, Charles Gray (The Devil Rides Out) as Blofeld, Bruce Cabot (King Kong), Laurence Naismith (The Valley of Gwangi), Lana Wood and Jimmy Dean. Bruce Glover and Putter Smith play great parts as male lovers Mr Wint and Mr Kidd. Bond regulars Bernard Lee, Desmond Llewelyn and Lois Maxwell also appear.

I have seen this movie several times and never tire of it.

Rating 5 stars out of 5.

Campy fun!

Author: davidbyrne77 from Ottawa
20 February 2004

Hey, ever wonder what it would be like to battle bad guys with space lasers in Las Vegas, bed a chick called Plenty O'Toole ("named after your father, perhaps?"), outwit gay henchmen, and be pretty much unbelievably offensive to the opposite sex? Well, it would be a lot like being Sean Connery in this film!

It becomes pretty clear early on in this film that it was going to be quite different than the ones that proceeded it. Great opening sequence one-liners! "There's something I want you to get off your chest" - then he rips a girl's top off and starts strangling her with it! Nail her, Bond, you stud! "Welcome to Hell, Blofeld". Also good! There's some real quick wit happening in this film, which doesn't attempt top take itself seriously, which is good. Blofeld look's at Plenty's bikini-clad ass, and sighs "If only they were brains!" Brilliant! Bond gets into a hearse with some undertakers: Bond: "It's so sad, he was my only brother" (something to this affect) Other guy: "Hey, I got a brother". Bond (amused): "Small world".

Did I mention that the evil villain's henchmen are a gay couple who refer to each other as 'Mr.' this and 'Mr.' that? Danger, crazy antics up ahead! And the $5 special-effects bill for those nuclear explosions? Realistic! I liked how the recoil from a submachine gun knocked that floozy off the oil rig! And Bond makes out with himself for a brief moment! People, this is a must-see!

Did Sean Connery save the best for last,and for his final performance as James Bond-007

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
21 January 2004

What more can I say about this film? For one,it is based on Ian Fleming's classic novels featuring British Secret Service Agent James Bond-007.

Secondly,when this film was released in 1971,it would mark the final bow for actor Sean Connery as the suave secret agent-James Bond. And this was Connery's final performance as Bond is considered by some the best out of the series,which is second to other Bond classics but it holds its own brilliantly and the action is non-stop.......It has the plot of some stolen diamonds being used by a villain to take over the world and to used them as a laser beam set to control Earth,but it has.........

1. Bond in a Moon Buggy chase sequence in the middle of the desert.

2. Bond with a sex-kitten goddess-Jill St. John.

3. Bond up against his old arch nemesis-Ernest Blofeld of SPECTRE.

4. A chase scene through the streets of Las Vegas in a Mustang Mach V.

5. His encounters with two amazons-Bambi and Thumper.

6. Two Homosexual assassins set out to kill our beloved hero.

7. A funeral sequence where Bond is almost in constant peril where he is in a coffin about to be buried alive!

8. The scene by the oil rig out at sea where Bond must stop Blofeld in taking over the world where seconds rely on the fate of the world.

9. The addition of actor Jimmy Dean as a eccentric millionaire,yes that Jimmy Dean-the country singer and king of the country sausage empire.Oh yeah,lets not forget all of those incredible gadgets and electrifying stunts and feats of derring-do by James Bond.

10. The brilliant theme score by no other than the great John Barry and the theme song sung by the great Shirley Bassey.

However,Sean Connery would reprise the role of James Bond again...... 12 years later in "Never Say Never Again"-(1983). However,the next James Bond will mark the exit of Sean Connery and by entering a new actor in the role---Roger Moore for the next installment of the 007 series.

"Diamonds Are Forever" was really the best of the series with Sean Connery,but the best out of the Sean Connery era were....... "Doctor No"-(1962) "From Russia With Love"-(1963) "Goldfinger"-(1964) "You Only Live Twice"-(1967) THE WORST: "Thunderball"-(1965).

The Connery era comes to an end with a whimper

Author: perfectbond
17 November 2003

The plot of this film, which is resurrected in the latest Bond, Die Another Day, is not very engaging. Connery, though still good in the role, looks a bit paunchy (unlike the older Roger Moore who was then keeping himself in top condition). Jill St. John isn't in the top tier of Bond girls. The homosexual subtext between the henchmen is not amusing. Still if you like the character of Bond and 'the formula' (though it is showing its age), you will get a solid, though not spectacular, two hours of entertainment here.

Diamonds & James are a girl's best friend

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
10 April 2003

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER (1971) *** Bond in Las Vegas with bodacious Jill St. John. Neat driving sequence down the Strip.

Glitzy locale is the real star in this rather by-the-numbers entry of the Connery era. Title song sung by Shirley Bassey.

Not the best, but v. entertaining

Author: book addict from Surrey, UK
16 March 2003

In my opinion, Sean Connery is good as Bond here. And for all the people who hate this film, I have two quotes: 'U is for Umbrella. We take it lest it rains. We hope we shan't want it till we're home again.' 'I'm Plenty! Plenty O'Toole!' Yes, although not the best, this is funny! I liked Tiffany's hair changes (Weren't you a blonde when I came in? I tend to notice little things like that), and thought she was a good Bond Girl, but Plenty is prettier, has a cooler name, and is less forgettable. Oh yeah, and: 'Miss Case is quite attractive...for a lady!'

The feeling of the 1960's is gone but Connery hasn't lost his charm

Author: Mika Pykäläaho (bygis80@hotmail.com) from Järvenpää, Finland
20 January 2003

Money makes the world go around. Or at least that's what Sean Connery was probably thinking when he agreed to make a return to the beloved role of 007 after announcing that "You only live twice" will be the last time he plays the part of Bond. I'm pretty damn glad he took a closer look at that generous bundle of bank notes and decided to change his mind. What made him to do the unofficial "Never say never again" 12 years later is a whole another story and I don't want to hear it.

George Lazenby's notorious performance in the role of James Bond in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was somewhat disappointing although the film was actually rather good and the bloke tried as hard as he could. Nevertheless the fact that the phenomenally charismatic Connery came back to show the moviegoers who's the one and only real Bond was more than pleasing. Unfortunately something is still missing here.

This was the first Bond movie of the new decade as well as Sean Connery's only 007 performance in the 1970's. Bond movies has always reflected their own time and that irresistible 60's feel of Connery's earlier Bond adventures is totally gone and replaced by Las Vegas glamour of the 70's. Not that I mind, I do love this one too. It's just that I do think good-old Connery was better in the spectacular 60's Bond classics like "Dr. No", "Goldfinger" and "You only live twice". Still, a stylish start to the second 007 decade.

The Worst Of The Best

Author: schogger13 (schogger13@t-online.de) from Lemgo / Germany
7 December 2002

DAF will always stick between the views of stern Connery/Bond fans as well as any other Bond fan. But one thing is clear: It's the one where Connery's showing his weakest performance until 1984, when he resurrected as well as updated 'his' Bond not only successfully but also brilliantly. DAF is also the most 'American' Bond movie until Dalton's second outing. It's apparent in every single scene that they didn't quite know where to stick to the original style or shift towards Hollywood images. But this still isn't a bad Bond movie - at least not as 'bad' as movies like 'Man With The Golden Colt' or the other 'American' Bond, License To Kill.

It's also the most cynical and ill-balanced Bond movie, shifting from traditional traits to pretty sick and TOO sexist 'jokes' - even for Bond.

But for fans..., and that's not to be underestimated, it still has its values.

And excellent title song. (No wonder, it's done by Shirly Bassey again) A decent main villain. (Charles Gray, this time on the wrong side of Bond.) Two memorable 'executors'. Who'll ever forget Mr Wint & Mr Kidd walking hand in hand? Two classic deadly weirdos, long before Hannibal Lecter claimed originality.

In a way this movie is my 'guilty Bond pleasure', cos it's still full of little aspects keeping me interested, even though I don't like the general outcome that much. Seen in broad daylight, though, it's the third worst of the lot.

Schogger13

Not a diamond amongst the Bond movies

Author: Mikew3001 (mikew4001@yahoo.de) from Hamburg, Germany
14 October 2002

"Diamonds Are Forever" (1971) is the seventh official James Bond movie and saw Sean Connery returning to the role that he left in 1967 for 4 million dollars . After George Lazenby turned down the offer for this movie after his single 007 performance in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (1969), the producers were desperately looking for a new Bond actor. As Roger Moore was bound to his "Persuaders" TV series at that time and another promising young actor, Timothy Dalton, considered himself too young for the role, it was Connery's turn to shave off his moustache and take his toupet and tuxedo for another mission with Martinis, girls and fights.

"Diamonds Are Forever" was the first Bond movie of the seventies and wanted to leave the sixties formula of cold-war-fiction behind - the problem was that the producers didn't know where to move. The whole plot is ridiculous, boring, lame and just another repetition of the Blofeld-wants-to-conquer-the-world-story without any new ideas. So Bond hunts Blofeld and a pack of diamonds around the world, but no one really knows whats going on.

The settings - South Africa, Amsterdam and the United States - are not as well photographed as in the previous movies. While "You Only Live Twice" (1967) and "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" (1969) took much time to show the best sides of Japan and Switzerland and to introduce the local settings and culture to the audiences, the places in "Diamonds" are just superfluous. Images of South African gold mines and the city of Amsterdam are just short postcard views, as well as the setting of the Californian desert. You don't see as much of the fascinating city of Amsterdam (e.g. the canal streets) as in the Bond-rip-off "Puppet On A String", an Alistair McLean thriller adaption that was filmed at the same time.

The action sequences are mainly boring, and a car chase on a parking place looks rather like a scene from an old Keystone Cops comedy. The story itself has no logical progression and no real tempo at all, but is often interrupted by senseless other scenes. There are also too many stupid slapstick and comedy elements involved, but nearly no thrills and suspense.

The worst about this movie is the acting - apart from Connery, there is just a second-class cast in this movie. Charles Gray's Blofeld is not menacing at all and can't compete with Donald Pleasence's and Telly Savalas' Blofeld performances. Jill St. John is a dreadful and stupidly acting Bond girl, and Norman Burton's Felix Leiter looks rather like a shopping clerk. There is an offending couple of gay killers and a funny, but senseless couple of wrestling amazon girls.

The positive points about "Diamonds" are not many too mention. Connery's performance is good as ever and rescues the film from a complete disaster. There is also a brilliantly edited fighting scene between Bond and a henchman in an elevator in Amsterdam. The theme was sung by Shirley Bassey for the second time after "Goldfinger", but hasn't got the impact and style of that classic Bond tune. John Barry's score is fine, but has too many repetitions of the Bond and 007 themes from previous movies and also contains some dull comedy tunes that rather fits into a Disney movie.

It's hard to believe that "Goldfinger" director Guy Hamilton was responsible for this disappointing Bond adventure that cannot reach the quality and style of the first six 007 missions. Hamilton also directed the following two parts of the series which were as bit better and went into new directions - "Live And Let Die" (1973) and "The Man With The Golden Gun" (1974) featuring Roger Moore. Fortunately he turned down the direction of "The Spy Who Loved Me" (1977) - the first Movie who became a true Bond classic again for a very long time.

THIS is an underrated Bond movie...

Author: Russell Christiansen (russ@megsinet.net) from Warrenville, IL USA
19 March 2001

Why all the bad vibes about this movie?

Sure this isn't the best of Bonds, but I find myself coming back to this one quite a few times.

I didn't like Jill St. John too much...even though I haven't seen OHMSS, I hated them having to pair up Bond with her after Diana Rigg. Her character was a bit too much of a bimbo.

This is the first Bond movie that I have seen Blofeld in; later I found out that Blofeld was in all the previous Bonds except "Dr. No" and "Goldfinger." He wasn't the creep that Donald Pleasance was.

When I first saw Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd, those two characters REALLY gave me the creeps. I know some people find them as comic relief, but the two were pretty scary looking to me.

One gripe I have with this Bond movie is the scene where Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd put Bond in the coffin in the funeral parlor and try to cremate him alive. This was, in my opinion, a bit too creepy for a Bond movie.

This movie really had you guessing with the plot and all the diamonds being smuggled for unknwon reasons, but when the real reason came out, it was cool. I liked that laser satellite.

The scenes in Las Vegas have to be the best in the whole movie. It picks up when Bond goes to the Whyte House. It gave you a sense of good feeling inside afterward.

All in all, not a bad Bond flick. A good one, but not up there with "Goldeneye," "Goldfinger," "FRWL," "TSWLM," and "TND."

And some people are complaining about no tie-ins to OHMSS. I think the opening sequence well explains Bond's anger toward Blofeld (he even strangles a woman who Bond could fall in love with!).

*** out of ****