IMDb > Diamonds Are Forever (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

The Weirdest of All The Bond Films - but ages well

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
7 December 2002

I remember seeing this film years and years ago and always had in my mind the image of a body disappearing into bubbling mud ( gold mashed potato ). This film on first viewing appearts bizarre and weird but actually grows on you after several viewings. It has many weird facets - not least the background music you hear playing on the very first shots of the Willard Whyte Towers ( I wonder what the building really was - presumably some office block in Las Vegas ), weird also the two homosexual killers who are in fact very frightening in their modus operandi, thank God they got their just desserts on the boat at the end - I was waiting for that one. And there's old "No-neck" Charles Gray with his superb upper class english accent (like me !) who plays a weird villain, not credible all the time but nevertheless amusing. And there's those two weird Girls Thumber and Bambi who prance around like monkeys at WW's summer house ! And there's Willard Whyte himself, God, what a strange accent he has, sound's like a 1970's cowboy. It seems incredible he has been locked up for five years in a flat and never managed to escape. When I compare this film to the rubbish they put into Goldeneye and The world in not enough, I actually found it better than I thought on first viewing. Also the plot is a bit complicated and rather disarms on first viewing. But having watched the film four times, I now find the action sequences very good, especially the shoot out on the oil-rig at the end. Bond's female companion JSJ is absolutely gorgeous and seems to have aged well like good wine ( on the dvd there is an interview with her today ). So all in all I think the film will age well and gain value in time to come whereas when it came out, it was probably considered rather Obsure. True, Connery's performance itself is less good than in previous Bonds, but the rest makes up for this. Note also the superb theme song by Shirley Bassey and the graphically beautiful opening credits which are amongst the best of all the Bond Films.............

Sean Connery returns as Vegas Bond

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 December 2013

Sean Connery returns and kills Blofeld in the first 10 minutes. Then he's put onto the case of missing South African diamonds. He assumes the identity of diamond smuggler Peter Franks. But his investigation leads him to Las Vegas and an unexpected nemesis.

This is probably one of the weaker Bond movie. It is just not exotic to be stuck in Vegas for so long. It's the difference between real locations and Hollywood sets. Vegas could be fun, but it's not exotic. Although, it is interesting to see the old style Vegas before the modern built-up.

The best new names have to be Bambi and Thumper. They are amazingly hot bodyguards. And then we got sexy Jill St. John firing her gun in a bikini. No matter what happens, a Bond movie will usually have great Bond girls.

There is more sly humor than ever before. There are the sarcastic killer pair Mr Kidd and Mr Wint with their dead pan humor. The sexual innuendos are thicker than ever. There is a bad Roger Moore quality to this Bond movie. Only Moore knows how to do it with a nudge and a wink. The moon rover chase is one of the stupidest thing ever. And there isn't anything superior in any of the designs either. A tiny oil platform isn't that impressive for an evil hideout.

Connery is back!

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
28 August 2011

After George Lazenby's single outing as James Bond Sean Connery is back again. Some people think this is one of the worst Bond films; I wouldn't go that far but it is certainly a lot more frivolous then previous instalments; there was always the occasional one liner but here they come thick and fast. In the pre-credit sequence. Bond tracks down and apparently kills Blofeld, who is now played by Charles Gray. With that case wrapped up he is set to work investigating diamonds being smuggled out of South Africa. His sent to Amsterdam where he poses as a known smuggler to get the diamonds of one Tiffany Chase. In order to find out who is organising the smuggling he then takes them to Los Angeles where he is met and taken to Las Vegas. Here he learns that they aren't being smuggled for financial reasons but to be used in a satellite based weapon… will he be able to prevent it being used against Washington DC?

As said before this is less serious then the previous films; I don't think it is bad though; in fact I've always rather enjoyed it. Charles Gray does a good job as arch-villain Blofeld but Putter Smith and Bruce Glover steal the show as Mr. Kidd and Mr. Wint; a pair of creepy killers who have a 'witty' line for every occasion. Jill St John does a fine job as Tiffany Case but the other 'Bond Girl' in this film, Lana Wood, who plays the appropriately named Plenty O'Toole, is rather under-used. The story is good enough although there are one or two plot holes… for example Tiffany checks fingerprints to identify Bond as the smuggler but has no photograph of the real smuggler. As one would expect from a Bond film there are plenty of stunts, action and explosions. Over all I'd recommend this to other Bond fans even though it isn't a classic.

You just killed James Bond!

Author: uk6strings-1 from The Twin Cities, Minnesota
20 December 2007

One of the most famous lines in Diamonds Are Forever is Bond Girl Tiffany Case's exclamatory catch-phrase "you just killed James Bond!" What a perfect phrase to use when trying to sum up this film's legacy! Explaining in detail how uninteresting Diamonds Are Forever is would be just as boring as the actual film, so I'll just be no-nonsense here and jump right into things: uninteresting dialogue, uninteresting locations, unexciting action scenes - "blah" is the perfect word to use when trying to sum up Diamonds Are Forever. It has one of the most uninteresting plots of the entire Bond franchise and at a certain point I just have to throw up my hands and say "it's pointless, it's boring, and really - who cares?" This film also has an uninteresting look and/or atmosphere. Most of the Bond films will have a certain cool look to it and every Bond film emanates its own unique feel but Diamonds Are Forever does not – it's almost a blank.

The plot follows Bond trying to track down his nemesis Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Unfortunately, Bond is not tracking down Blofeld for any reasons seen in the previous film On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Rather, Diamonds Are Forever picks up from Sean Connery's last Bond film You Only Live Twice and opens with Bond in Japan (were You Only Live Twice ends) looking for Blofeld. The plot leads Bond to the cheesy sin of 1970s Las Vegas where he discovers Blofeld's space-based scheme (again, similar to You Only Live Twice). But worst of all, Diamonds Are Forever makes no mention of Blofeld having killed Bond's wife Tracy. She is not mentioned one time, the fact that Bond was married is not mentioned once - Diamonds Are Forever pretends that On Her Majesty's Secret Service never existed.

Oh, and how nice – the writers decided to give us some of the worst characters of the entire Bond series in this film. Well, thanks for nothing! First there are the annoying gay Mr. Kidd and Mr. Wint villains. Then there are the ridiculous Bambi & Thumper characters of whom Bond becomes a freaking marionette. Bond Girl Tiffany Case, portrayed by Jill St. John, is another poor character and one of the worst Bond girls of the Bond films. St. John had tons of annoying childish line deliveries and generally stupid moments throughout the film. A scene featuring Ms. Case attempting to shoot a machine gun only to have it force her backward and fall into the ocean is just the pinnacle of mind numbing stupidity. Then we have the main villain of the film, Bond's arch nemesis Ernst Stavro Blofeld - easily the worst Blofeld of the entire series. Charles Gray is just a bad choice for Blofeld, he's not dangerous or menacing or anything (although he did scare me when he dressed up in drag).

Diamonds Are Forever features Sean Connery's last run in an official James Bond film. He had returned after his one film hiatus and after the producers begged him hard enough and raised his fee high enough for him to "grace" us with his Bond presence. Unfortunately, Connery is just as big of detraction as anything else in this film. Yeah yeah yeah, I know I am not supposed to criticize Sean Connery in any way right? Well, tough - I am going to criticize Connery and considering the fact that Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball are among my very favorite Bond films, my comments will not be anti-Connery biased. But I wonder why, if Connery is going to come back for one last Bond film, he didn't give as good of a performance as he has in the past? Connery looked like he was just coasting through the role and the film as a whole - it's very disappointing to watch as a Bond fan.

On the plus side however, Diamonds Are Forever does have Shirley Bassey's suave title theme song "Diamonds Are Forever" and an elevator fight that is a great moment in Connery Bond toughness. But this 007 minutes of above-mediocrity does not make Diamonds Are Forever watchable. I do think that this film would have been 100 times better if George Lazenby played James Bond, Peter Hunt directed it, Michael Reed done the cinematography, the Tiffany Case & Blofeld roles were recast, and if it included a plot that was tied closer to the previous Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Wow, what could have been....

Diamonds Are Forever (1971) Review

Author: vgamerdc from United States
21 December 2013

The first Bond movie of the 70's and you can already tell a difference in the picture as well as color. In this film we have the return of Sean Connery for one last film, which is because of hatred the viewers gave to On Her Majesty's Secret Service, staring George Lazenby. It is also because of that film that this review may get a better score than it might deserve, being the follow-up to that catastrophe. Please click the link above to read my raging review.

Anyways, I found this film to be actually pretty good, especially compared to its predecessor (I'm going to try to not keep bashing On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but I might just not be able to help myself.) I most of it, but there were still some goofy elements added to it. For example — oh, and if you haven't seen this 42 year old movie, then sorry for spoilers — when Bond steals the space/moon driving machine and the bad guys send 3 cars (who fail to catch Bond) and 3 motorcycles (who also fail) and the scene goes on for a good 5-7 minutes, it's hard to keep a straight face.

Anyways, I didn't like how the actors playing Blowfelt — I finally figured out his name but referred to him as Dr. Evil in my previous reviews — kept changing. This guy wasn't the same as the Blowfelt in You Only Live Twice but hey AT LEAST HE WAS BETTER THAN THE GUY IN ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE!Anyway, his performance was good and I enjoyed how he created a double of himself.

Another part of this movie that I loved was Mr. Wint and Mr. Kid. They played really good roles and I enjoyed their performance. I feel like Mr. Wint was one of those guys who would be saying something like, "Boy, this building is quite high up. It would be a shame if someone were to fall off."

I give Diamonds Are Forever a 7.5 out of 10 for having the return of Sean Connery, characters like Mr. Wint and Kid, and just being a fun film. Some of the lines and chases are silly, but hey, AT LEAST IT'S NOT AS BAD AS…. Well, you already know what I'm going to say.

Pretty funny last Sean Connery entry.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
28 October 2013

This is a pretty funny 007 film starring Sean Connery as his last outing as James Bond in the original continuity (not counting the Thunderball remake Never Say Never Again). Bond gets involved in a diamond smuggling investigation in Las Vegas, where he uncovers an extortion plot headed by his number one enemy, Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Unlike earlier Bond films, you get to see Bond deal more one-on-one with Blofeld. There are more, if I remember, comedy in this entry than earlier films, particularly in that of Bond girl Tiffany Case (Jill St. John). I actually thought Case did a good job in her role; she was very funny and entertaining. There are also plenty of other Bond girls including that of Bambi and Thumper.

Bond did his usual one-liners and Licensed to Kill action in this film, but it was evident that Connery was done with the role. While many Bond films tend to drag on the plot a little, this one was pretty fast-paced and entertaining for me and I thought it closes out the Connery saga pretty well.

Grade B+

'If at first you don't succeed...'

Author: fidelio74 from Sydney, Australia
2 January 2011

'Diamonds are Forever' marked the return of Sean Connery as British superspy James Bond for one film. The plot involves diamond smuggling and takes Bond to Las Vegas. His love interest here is Tiffany Case (Jill St. John), and there is terrific support from a pair of homosexual (very risqué for the time - 1971) hit men named Mr. Kidd (Putter Smith) and Mr. Wint (Bruce Glover), and also from Charles Gray as the villain Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

As usual, there are plenty of action set pieces on display: a close-quarters fight betwixt Bond and an adversary in an elevator, a splendidly shot car chase through the glittering streets of Vegas, and a helicopter raid upon an oil rig at the film's denouement. This helicopter raid recalls the one on Piz Gloria - where Blofeld had based his headquarters - in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'.

Sean Connery is in fine form. He is, and always will be, the best Bond and, as a valediction, 'Diamonds are Forever' is pretty good. It is no 'From Russia With Love' but it certainly entertains. And there is a wonderful theme song which marks the always welcome return of Shirley Bassey's powerful and bewitching voice.

Nice Bond film with spectacular scenarios mostly filmed in Las Vegas

Author: ma-cortes
6 September 2010

The movie resulted to be Sean Connery's last appearance as Bond before he returned again in ¨Never say never again¨ by Irwin Keshner . M ( Bernard Lee )assigns an under-grade mission to Bond dealing with diamonds robbing but the events go worse . This time Bond confronts Blofeld (Charles Gray) and a strange couple , Mr Kid and Mr Wint (Bruce Glover and Putter Smith ) in a intrigue about diamonds smuggling and a final with satellite full of nuclear weapons , holding of the world to ransom . Bond is helped by a Howard Hughes type recluse (Jimmy Dean) and of course Q (Desmond Llewelyn ). And the extraordinary presence of a marvelous girl (Jill St John) and secondary appearance another Bond female ( Lana Wood, Natalie Wood's sister ) in the ordinary Casino of Las Vegas .

The film contains spectacular fights , action packed , car chases , apocalyptic and overwhelming scenarios along with the typically glossy ingredients series but Sean Connery looks a little bit boring ,in fact is his Bond last film , before his surprising return . It is held together by fine acting and above all, and overwhelming level of tongue-in-cheek . Sean Connery as James Bond is cool , he has coldness and toughness , typical characters of the famous personage , but also earns in irony , suavity and smoothness . The interesting screenplay based on Ian Fleming's novel is written by Richard Maibaum and the recently deceased Tom Mankiewicz. The action is very good , the cinematography by Ted Moore is magnificent , the sets decent , but the real clincher is the fact that Bond is once more performed by a hero with the right stuff . The struggles were carefully choreographed by very accomplished athletes as a pair gorgeous killer karate female bodyguards and performed like a dance routine requiring each participant to hit their mark at the correct time . The picture is produced by habituals Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli filmed on location in Amsterdam , Netherland , Los Angeles ,Nevada and Pinewood Studios ,London,England. The atmosphere is faithful to the actual location but the interiors on a set at Pinewood Studios. Appropriate and wonderful -as usual- musical score by John Barry .Main title song is catching and marvelously performed by Shirley Bassey . The motion picture is well directed by Guy Hamilton who also directed ¨Live and let die¨, ¨the man with the golden gun¨ with Roger Moore and the best Bond : ¨Goldfinger ¨also with Sean Connery . Indispensable and essential watching for James Bond fans .

Formula Stretching Time

Author: Bill Slocum (bill.slocum@gmail.com) from Greenwich, CT United States
19 March 2010

It's my favorite Bond movie, but ask me to defend it objectively and I struggle. Yes, "Diamonds Are Forever" is weak in plot, continuity, character motivation, and overall depth. Yet it's an awful lot of fun.

When we first meet Sean Connery, back as Bond after a four-year absence, he's kicking the tar out of assorted people trying to locate Blofeld (Charles Gray). Once that's out of the way, he is called upon to help infiltrate a diamond-smuggling ring. Bond may think it's the sort of job that's beneath him, but he will find strong reason for seeing it through.

It was the first Bond movie not made in the 1960s, and the culture shock is there from the start and continues all the way through. Long sideburns, Peckinpah-like blood splats, an old lady who teaches children religion but keeps a hollowed-out Bible for smuggling stolen goods. Blofeld is seen walking around in drag. His two main henchmen, Wint and Kidd, are not only apparently gay, but seem to have a snarkily aloof attitude about their jobs. The "Clubland" atmosphere of Ian Fleming seems well behind us now.

"You've just killed James Bond", the lead female Tiffany Case (Jill St. John) cries.

Not quite, but it's not the Bond you came to expect from earlier films.

What works for me in this movie are three things. First is the music, particularly the wonderfully jaded title song, the best of any in the Bond series even if it was never a commercial hit; as well as the eerie flute-like theme that follows Wint and Kidd's appearances. Second, the clever off-kilter sensibility that successfully reworks the Bond model for a new age. Third, the humor, of satirical quips and the ever-reliable double-entendres we expect from 007.

"Why are we staying in the bridal suite of the Whyte House?"

"In order to form a more perfect union."

It's not a perfect film. At times, it's not even a very good one. Throughout the picture Bond gets into various scrapes he weasels out of with discomfiting ease. In fact, except for a harrowing elevator fight near the beginning of the film, there's not an instance where Bond is severely pressed.

This is fine given Connery doesn't seem to be pressing much himself, He's just having fun and thus is in tune with the picture around him. Guy Hamilton, the director, never took his Bond movies too seriously, though he liked action-packed set-pieces, and thus a lot of goofy moments in "Diamonds Are Forever" skirt past with minimal fuss. I enjoy how the film sends itself up. Even Bond's way of approaching the villain's lair is played for a smile. Why sneak in when you can just parachute down inside a giant bubble?

For some, maybe many, the problem with "Diamonds Are Forever" is the same as its virtue to me: It never takes itself seriously. The producers are stretching the formula, taking some chances, and tweaking some cherished notions of what Bond films are about. Not all of it works, but it's a fun ride I enjoy taking.

Connery`s Worst Bond Outing

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
29 January 2003

For many people James Bond is Sean Connery but that doesn`t mean a Bond film is an instant classic because Connery is in it . DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER is barely watchable enough , just think how bad it could have been without Big Sean

***** SPOILERS ******

What I hate about this film is there is no internal continuity with OHMSS . Blofeld killed Bond`s wife in the previous movie and it starts with Bond on the revenge trail where Bond apparently kills Blofeld in the pre title sequence , but as the film continues and it`s revealed Blofeld isn`t really dead all that`s gone before is quickly forgotten about as if it never happened in the first place . If they were going to ignore all this then why couldn`t the producers just kill off Blofeld and introduce another meglomanaic villain . Like wise Charles Gray`s performance is totally unconvincing , can you imagine Donald Plesance from YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE appearing in drag smoking a cigarette from a holder in an entirely camp manner ?

The production values are also very poor . The script resembles one of the latter Moore films where lots of things may happen but serves to disguise the fact that there is nothing happening plot wise . Are Blofeld`s henchman SPECTRE ? If so it`s never mentioned on screen and I found their garish uniforms of pale blue jumpsuits and red helmets both irritating and laughable . Jill St John plays one of the most forgettable Bond girls and director Guy Hamilton has a real bad off day especially during the action climax featuring the superimposed explosions of helicopters

There are a couple of good points about DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER which stop it from being a contender for worst Bond film . There is the welcome return of Connery in the lead and I couldn`t help but enjoy the inclusion of a couple of gay hitmen , the scene where one of them is dispatched with a bomb between his legs still brings a wry smile to my face though Bond`s wise crack after this causes me to groan out loud

Page 2 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]