And Now for Something Completely Different
Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

pretty good for me

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
20 December 2006

I have only gotten in part in on Monty Python's Flying Circus, so this was good terrain for me to get through, kind of like getting one of those compilation records of the Beatles that they put out in mass droves when fans just didn't get enough from the actual albums themselves. Nothing apparently is 'original' to the movie itself, in other words no segments were made especially for the film (aside from the animations possibly, though even that I can't be totally sure of). But one of the good things about seeing the film at this point is that I got to have a lot of laughs with the sketches I'd already seen and liked (some of them, like the Parrot sketch- albeit classic in a kind of vaudevillian way- aren't necessarily my favorites). I really enjoyed the ones too I hadn't seen, like the Marriage Guidance Counselor sketch where Michael Palin is in one of his funniest bits to date.

Other classics I really do love, especially on repeat viewings, are the Lumberjack song, with it's always expectable joke funnier than the first, Killer Cars, Man with Tape Recorder Up His Nose, Expedition to Mount Kilmanjaro, and especially the Self Defence Class (maybe my favorite, albeit it might've worked a little better on the show). Flasher too. Sure, it might be a little disconcerting to see some sketches that didn't make it in, or that there are some in there that shouldn't be. It's also a little lackluster- at least in comparison to the later Python films- due to Ian McNaughton being a TV director and more used to the point-and-shoot style of TV as opposed to the camera almost being in on the joke too with Holy Grail and Meaning of Life. But it certainly wasn't a waste of time either. A-

Funny, but not the greatest Python film.

Author: tomimt from Finland
22 April 2005

Ah, the first Monty Python movie... but actually it is false advertisement to call this a movie, because this is actually just the funniest (well not all of them) sketches from the "Monty Python's Flying circus". There is not real red line or even attempted plot between the jokes, they just follow each other in random order.

As the series and other Python movies "And Now for Something Completely Different" is a mix between live action and animated scenes, which of I liked the live action better, tough the animated parts do have their own charm and they do cause a whew giggles, but in all they are partly in just to add some more lenght.

Main actors are John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, Terry Gilliam and Carol Cleveland. They all act in various different parts, so it would be hard to start listing them all. All of them are good and funny actors, who deliver their punch lines in correct places. Most memorable sketches are "The upper class twit of the year", "Worlds deadliest joke" and "The importance of staying hidden".

What else to say? Well nothing much. If you liked Monty Python or British comedy, you will find this funny as well. Not the best Python movie, but still pretty funny.

Inspired Lunacy Of the Highest (or is it Lowest) Order!

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
21 February 2003

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. *** John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin. Raucous collection of skits and absurd humor by the master clowns of mocking mirth, Monty Python, from their iconoclastic television series that includes many hysterically funny moments especially The Twit of the Year bit. Inspired lunacy.

Actually quite funny

Author: director9ff from Mesa, AZ (And now for something completely different)
20 June 2002

Rather than see it as an introduction to the Python, I saw this just to see the only other Python film that was PG in the US. I had seen "Monty Python And The Holy Grail," which wasn't as funny (A killer rabbit? Policemen arresting knights? A knight killing innocent people for no reason? IS NOT FUNNY! --small giggle--). I actually laughed more at this than at "Holy Grail," possibly because it wasn't just one thing with a few things different--it was almost always completely different!

Having seen 1.03 episodes of the show, I must say that though they seem to have a longer time with the sketches because it wasn't restrained to about 5 minutes ("The Deadliest Joke In The World" had more content that I would have liked to see in this), this had more sketches and was much funnier. Their best movie (even though lots are saying that they could have done better). Rating: 4/6 (for being rrreeeaaalllyyy weird)

This is great stuff

Author: BraveSrROb from US
27 January 2002

Monty Python's second best movie. It's not a feature length story, but a bunch of sketches. Funniest things I've seen this side of Holy Grail. Other people say that the sketches are boring. Well, they're just plain wrong. From the dramatic recreation of Pearl Harbor to Hell's Grannies this is well worth a rental.

Pure Comedy

Author: Dan Sanderson from York, England
20 September 2001

This, is very hardcore Python, and it may not appeal to casual fans, but to fans of the Monty Python team, this is unmissable. Most people reading this will have already have seen the film, and to people who havent seen it yet, i say only one thing - go out and watch it now. OK, some of the scenes may not be the funniest that Python have ever done, but stick with it. With clips like the famous parrot sketch, etc this truly is a work of pure genius.

Generally a success.

Author: gridoon
28 May 2000

"And Now For Something Completely Different" is an entertaining, if very uneven, compilation film, moving along so quickly and including so many different sketches that it's hard to reject it as a whole, even when you dislike some parts. Brilliant episodes ("Dead Parrot", "Mountaineering Sketch", "Upper-class Twit-Of-The-Year Competition")alternate with bummers ("The World's Deadliest Joke", "Marriage Councelor") and with mildly funny parts (The accountant that wants to become a lion tamer), but the film generally maintains that surrealistic, subversive Python flavor that their fans seek.

This is pure fun.

Author: Kynde from Århus, Denmark
17 May 1999

Maybe this isn't the best Monty Pyton has done, but there are some of the finest Flying Circus in between. I mean, The joke that is so funny, that you die laughing, and how to stay camouflaged are really funny. If you do like Monty Pyton this is a must.

Great!

Author: SP-10 from United States
3 March 1999

Highlights the funnier sketches. The "Marriage Counselor" skit with Eric Idle just cracks me up as does the "Clean Fork" and "Mountain Expedition". Just great stuff. If you like this you will definitely like "Parrot Sketch Not Included", very funny too with lesser known (but just as funny) skits.

Stagnant

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
16 June 2010

This is disappointing.

I recall eagerly watching these skits on TeeVee. The shows were live, and the comedy edgy. These guys had gas and were ready to take risks. Energy.

This is a relatively overproduced version of some of those skits, interlaced with many of Terry Gilliam's comic animations.

Well, I think Gilliam has a hard time finding a niche that fits mine. Not a one of his bits was amusing to me then or now. The idea behind the python humor generally is the ability to take one small comic twist (mean grannies, dead parrot) and elaborate with unbounded silliness, often into a different context. Added is the "fold" that they know they are being silly and actively acknowledge it while turning up the dial. There is added into this movie version, for instance, a military narrator who comments on the silly factor.

Gilliam's approach is more a matter of visual oddity rather than silliness. He attempts visual puns via twisted realities, shaped by his animation technology. This worked for South Park because they were able to weave comic narrative on the cutouts. Gilliam — here and in his later movies — relies on the odd visual first. All else is secondary.

The real Pythonistas are dull here. There is no other way to say it. Skits that in the show are effective (Nudge nudge, Dead parrot, Lumberjack) were so because they had an edge. Here, they are stale leftovers.

The only really good bit was something invented for the film, taking advantage of the larger palette: the "Upper Class Twit of the Year" contest. You can see that this has the energy of a new birth on it, not rote reperformance.

Missing from this collection is their classic bit where someone goes to the argument department.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]