And Now for Something Completely Different
Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A fine Monty Python compilation.

Author: Oleanderr (bluethunder35@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
21 December 2007

For their first motion picture, the Pythons decided to make a compilation of some of their best skits from their first two years on BBC instead of an original film (those would come later).

And Now For Something Completely Different, named after John Cleese's famous catchphrase, is a film consisting of higher quality versions of some of their famous early skits. You'll see "Expedition to Mt. Kilimanjaro", "Nudge Nudge", "The Funniest Joke In The World" and some absolute classics such as "Dead Parrot", "The Lumberjack Song" and "Restaurant Sketch". My favorite is "Blackmail", where Eric Idle plays a host of a show that threatens to ruin people's marriages and lives unless they pay him off.

There also some great Terry Gilliam animations as well in ANFSCD. Good ones include "The Killer Cars", "Rampage Of The Cancerous Spot" and "The Cannibal Baby".

Yes, there are some weak skits here and I found the film a bit tougher to get used to as it doesn't have the T.V. trappings I usually see, but it remains an outstanding compilation for those who want to get into Monty Python's brand of sketch comedy. Highly recommended.

Basically its the Best of Flying Circus

Author: mjw2305 from England
13 October 2007

With this movie, all python fans will no exactly what they are getting, it basically all the best sketches from the Flying Circus series, re-filmed and arranged into a anthology of comedy genius.

Nearly all of the favourites are included, and of course the whole Python Gang is here; making this a real treat for every fan of the series.

The thing with Python comedy is the originality of the gags and the characters, but sadly they do have limited appeal for the new generation; such is the sheer lunacy and diversity of the humour.

I give it 8/10 "Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink; Say No More!"

They really were something completely different...

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
27 March 2006

Before moving on to cinema, the Monty Python were known for their witty, anarchic, politically incorrect sketches which aired on the BBC as part of the show Monty Python's Flying Circus. The sextet's feature debut, And Now for Something Completely Different, is a selection of unseen material, thanks to which the Python's irreverent humor became known to the whole world.

Throughout the episodes, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin stage a series of surreal, hilarious and embarrassing situations. These skits have no links whatsoever between them, with the exception of Gilliam's animated sequences, which precede certain segments, and the occasional appearance of Cleese's host, speaking the titular line.

The fact that it's not a proper movie, but a succession of unrelated jokes, unlike their following films, is a partial disappointment. In addition, not all the gags are equally funny. But some of them are really exceptional, the undeniable proof that the Python set the foundations for modern comedy, still not surpassed (The Office is quite close, though). The unmissable bits are The Dead Parrot, The Dirty Fork, The World's Funniest Joke and The Lumberjack Song (ace, even if it can't beat the peerless Always Look on the Bright Side of Life). Those segments will cheer you up like few other movies have managed to (unless it's another Python feature, of course). In fact, perhaps, when the closing credits start rolling, you might be able to actually see John Cleese announce your return to reality:

And now for something completely different...

If you like daft, you will love this....

Author: jesussaysohyeahtokungfu from United Kingdom
17 February 2006

For someone who had never watched more than 5 minutes of Monty Python before I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, it had me laughing 95% of the way through.

If I'm honest the parrot scene what I had heard so much about didn't crack me up half as much as the others 'mad grannies' 'guide to hiding' 'the giant cat' etc , this maybe because it was supposed to be viewed without the hype and gets you like the other scenes with its randomness.

If you love things like harry enfield, fast show, monkey dust etc then you will love this film as its like a godfather to them all.

I'd totally recommend as a worth see...7/10.

Very funny if you haven't seen the TV show

Author: keuhkokala from Finland
7 January 2005

The Monty Python-groups's first movie is a mere medley of the favorite sketches from the Flying Circus TV-show. That's why how much you'll enjoy this movie depends if you have seen these shows. If you haven't, you'll be in for a delight. The Pythons have a wonderful talent of mixing different kinds of comedy, from witty word-play to physical slapstick-comedy to my personal favorite, totally offbeat and crazy humour. The sketches also usually break the regular pattern of comedy sketches, there are no punchlines or acted jokes and normal sketches can end on a cartoon link to the next sketch or to an announcer saying the movie's title; "And now for something completely different".

If you have seen old MPFC episodes before, there's little more to offer you. There's none of new material, and as the most important thing in the Python comedy is the element of surprise (and fear and almost fanatical devotion to the Pope and...). Old sketches are merely linked together in a new way and made with a slightly higher budget. For example this time in the Dead Parrot sketch they are using an actual stuffed parrot. For fans the greatest point of interest is probably the much cleaned and remastered animations, as well as some new during the closing credits, from the twisted mind of Terry Gilliam.

**** (8/10)

Best Sketches: I have two favorite sketches, one from the verbal humour dept. and one from the offbeat dept. The Nudge-nudge sketch may resemble the work of other sketch comedians, but the pure wit of Eric Idle leaves them all behind. As for the offbeat-humour, the documentary describing a part of London in fear of a gang called Hell's Grannies is ace!

And Now...10 seconds of nudity!!

Author: nmk2002uk
25 March 2004

It's.....Monty Pythons Flying Circus. And how good a circus it was. None of those annoying clowns here. Just damn good sketches, jokes, joke documentaries and spoof gameshows are what we are talking about. This, the Python's first movie, is a collection of their best sketches from series 1 (and two, I think?) made into a movie for more people to laugh at. It's all a bit silly, but, no one likes a good laugh more than I do.....except my wife.....and a few of her friends. Oh, yes and the midget around the corner. Come to think of it, everyone likes a laugh more than I do. The best Highlights of the movie have to be The mountaineering expedtion sketch, the 'How to defend yourself against fresh fruit sketch' and 'How Not To Be Seen!' The sketches they should have included are Spot The Loony and Mr Gumby's Brain consultaion with the supposed surgery. But as it stands, its funny. A bit silly, but funny. And Now For Something Completely Different: a man with three buttocks!

Great comedy

Author: dowbuff from Barry, Wales
27 August 2001

OK, so it's not technically a movie, it's just a collection of the best sketches from Monty Pythons Flying Circus series's 1 and 2.But the fact of the matter is it's so damn funny.

It contains all the great sketches, including the infamous Dead Parrot Sketch, ("This parrot is deceased, it is no more. It ceases to be.") the great art of hiding sketch as well as many others.

In no way does it compare to the feature films, but this is Python at their best. And when have you ever watched Flying Circus and not laughed?

The only thing that this film lacks is the Spanish Inquisition. Why they weren't included is beyond me, but of course no-one expects them.

Marks out of 10 - an 8. Rib achingly funny.

Wonderful!

Author: bowser724 from MN
19 September 2002

This is definitely one of the best films I have ever seen! It takes old Flying Circus routines and modernizes them for the big screen and America. E.g. instead of saying "Robin Day's got a hedgehog called Frank" they say "President Nixon's got a hedgehog called Frank." I think that that was a good decision from the Pythonites. It contains such classics as "The Lumberjack Song", "A Dead Parrot", and "How not to be seen". Sometimes you just want to get up with Michael Palin and sing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day" and blow up people behind bushes, as well. Definitely a must-see, "And Now For Something Completely Different" is a true classic.

Ah the genius of Monty Python

Author: Amanda from Delaware, USA
30 March 2001

I'm very sad when people don't GET Monty Python, and I believe that the measley 7.2 rating this great movie got is a reflection of this, that's such a tragedy. Everybody who has a good sense of humor must rent this movie, because it is a film classic. The only catch is, you have to be in the right mood where totally random things are funny. Hey--you can't be in a goofy mood and GET a drama, like American History X, for example. So get in a goofy mood, watch this movie, go buy a parrot, and I only have one more thing to say--and now for something completely different.

Amusing Python sketch compilation

Author: JeffG. from Boston, MA
26 November 1999

Admittedly, this is not the best Monty Python film. It's basically just a collection of sketches from the TV show done on the big screen. And it's worth seeing if you're a diehard Python fan. But it's a funny movie if you go in expecting that. For a real tasty of Python on the big screen, check out "Holy Grail" and "Meaning of Life."

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]