And Now for Something Completely Different
Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Very funny if you haven't seen the TV show

Author: keuhkokala from Finland
7 January 2005

The Monty Python-groups's first movie is a mere medley of the favorite sketches from the Flying Circus TV-show. That's why how much you'll enjoy this movie depends if you have seen these shows. If you haven't, you'll be in for a delight. The Pythons have a wonderful talent of mixing different kinds of comedy, from witty word-play to physical slapstick-comedy to my personal favorite, totally offbeat and crazy humour. The sketches also usually break the regular pattern of comedy sketches, there are no punchlines or acted jokes and normal sketches can end on a cartoon link to the next sketch or to an announcer saying the movie's title; "And now for something completely different".

If you have seen old MPFC episodes before, there's little more to offer you. There's none of new material, and as the most important thing in the Python comedy is the element of surprise (and fear and almost fanatical devotion to the Pope and...). Old sketches are merely linked together in a new way and made with a slightly higher budget. For example this time in the Dead Parrot sketch they are using an actual stuffed parrot. For fans the greatest point of interest is probably the much cleaned and remastered animations, as well as some new during the closing credits, from the twisted mind of Terry Gilliam.

**** (8/10)

Best Sketches: I have two favorite sketches, one from the verbal humour dept. and one from the offbeat dept. The Nudge-nudge sketch may resemble the work of other sketch comedians, but the pure wit of Eric Idle leaves them all behind. As for the offbeat-humour, the documentary describing a part of London in fear of a gang called Hell's Grannies is ace!

And Now...10 seconds of nudity!!

Author: nmk2002uk
25 March 2004

It's.....Monty Pythons Flying Circus. And how good a circus it was. None of those annoying clowns here. Just damn good sketches, jokes, joke documentaries and spoof gameshows are what we are talking about. This, the Python's first movie, is a collection of their best sketches from series 1 (and two, I think?) made into a movie for more people to laugh at. It's all a bit silly, but, no one likes a good laugh more than I do.....except my wife.....and a few of her friends. Oh, yes and the midget around the corner. Come to think of it, everyone likes a laugh more than I do. The best Highlights of the movie have to be The mountaineering expedtion sketch, the 'How to defend yourself against fresh fruit sketch' and 'How Not To Be Seen!' The sketches they should have included are Spot The Loony and Mr Gumby's Brain consultaion with the supposed surgery. But as it stands, its funny. A bit silly, but funny. And Now For Something Completely Different: a man with three buttocks!

Great comedy

Author: dowbuff from Barry, Wales
27 August 2001

OK, so it's not technically a movie, it's just a collection of the best sketches from Monty Pythons Flying Circus series's 1 and 2.But the fact of the matter is it's so damn funny.

It contains all the great sketches, including the infamous Dead Parrot Sketch, ("This parrot is deceased, it is no more. It ceases to be.") the great art of hiding sketch as well as many others.

In no way does it compare to the feature films, but this is Python at their best. And when have you ever watched Flying Circus and not laughed?

The only thing that this film lacks is the Spanish Inquisition. Why they weren't included is beyond me, but of course no-one expects them.

Marks out of 10 - an 8. Rib achingly funny.

Wonderful!

Author: bowser724 from MN
19 September 2002

This is definitely one of the best films I have ever seen! It takes old Flying Circus routines and modernizes them for the big screen and America. E.g. instead of saying "Robin Day's got a hedgehog called Frank" they say "President Nixon's got a hedgehog called Frank." I think that that was a good decision from the Pythonites. It contains such classics as "The Lumberjack Song", "A Dead Parrot", and "How not to be seen". Sometimes you just want to get up with Michael Palin and sing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day" and blow up people behind bushes, as well. Definitely a must-see, "And Now For Something Completely Different" is a true classic.

Ah the genius of Monty Python

Author: Amanda from Delaware, USA
30 March 2001

I'm very sad when people don't GET Monty Python, and I believe that the measley 7.2 rating this great movie got is a reflection of this, that's such a tragedy. Everybody who has a good sense of humor must rent this movie, because it is a film classic. The only catch is, you have to be in the right mood where totally random things are funny. Hey--you can't be in a goofy mood and GET a drama, like American History X, for example. So get in a goofy mood, watch this movie, go buy a parrot, and I only have one more thing to say--and now for something completely different.

Amusing Python sketch compilation

Author: JeffG. from Boston, MA
26 November 1999

Admittedly, this is not the best Monty Python film. It's basically just a collection of sketches from the TV show done on the big screen. And it's worth seeing if you're a diehard Python fan. But it's a funny movie if you go in expecting that. For a real tasty of Python on the big screen, check out "Holy Grail" and "Meaning of Life."

First Steps

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
23 June 2012

I don't know why I didn't get more out of this. Several isolated times a stern and sober British Army officer is interpolated and announces to the viewers that this isn't worth watching because "it's silly -- just silly." I ruefully found myself often agreeing.

I don't suppose there's any point in trying to outline a plot because there is none. It's a series of sketches evidently gotten from their TV show. I first heard the "dead parrot" sketch on the radio and thought it was hilarious. Now, seeing it on the screen, it seems to have lost much of its voltage. Nor did I find it so amusing when a despondent man leaves a building, stops to think for a moment, and a huge iron weight falls on him and he splats under it.

It's possible that this particular material is already familiar, so that watching the film is like hearing a joke for the second or third time. It's also likely that it doesn't seem so fresh or amusing because some of it is dated. The movie was put together in 1971, when much of Western society was in turmoil -- race riots in the streets, an unpopular war in a country no one could identify on a blank map, gays screaming out of the closet, widespread sexual indulgence, bloodshed in Northern Ireland, pop tunes encouraging revolution, that sort of thing. But it's all gone or at least abated today. So the "Granny gangs" don't resonate the way they did at the time. At the same time, the "upper-class twit" sketch still gets laughs. I mean, hunting live rabbits that are staked out and spread-eagled on the ground! Trying to commit suicide by shooting one's self -- and missing. I'm laughing now, just rerunning it in my mind.

Each of their four features were to improve monotonically, with "The Meaning of Life" nearing perfection of the style. That last one is mature. Well, mature for Monty Python. And it's both engaging and carries a covert theme of the utmost seriousness. The Granny Gangs are long gone, but questions about the meaning of life, or the absence of meaning, still plague us.

Funny best of Monty Python

Author: SnoopyStyle
1 October 2013

This is a movie distillation of the best Monty Python sketches from series 1 and 2. It's mostly intended for the American audience to introduce them to the popular British TV show. The troop is Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin. They form one of the most important group of performer/writers ever.

They remade the sketches for the big screen and it looks the better for it. Some of them are more hilarious than others. It's uneven in its nature, but a great highlight of the TV show. The TV show can be a rough dig for each precious gem. So it's great that they gathered up the best gems here. And it's an important piece as the first Monty Python movie.

More of the same… so, color me satisfied!

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
22 April 2012

This is a collection of many of the best and most loved sketches from the Flying Circus, redone on a (slightly!) bigger budget, and with a film crew instead of on sets. That of course means the camera-work is more loose and with proper, attractive cinematography, the editing more crisp, and the production value increases noticeably(better FX, sound quality, etc.). The parts tend to be played by the same members and extras(the lovely Carol Cleveland included), and much of the animation is reused. Things are put in a different order to keep things fresh, and some of the segues are changed, as well. Timing is at times less sharp than the original version, but they certainly put the same passion and effort into it. The Dead Parrot, "Say no more" man, "the importance of not being seen" and many others. This is like a reel of the greatest of the episodes, coming in at slightly less than 90 minutes. Of course there are slow points, and there is, indeed, no new material here. And yes, if you are unfamiliar with them, I'd try to watch the show before this. There is a lot of bloody, violent, disturbing content, a little sexuality and brief topless female nudity in this. I recommend it to long-time fans. 8/10

It is something completely different, isn't it?

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
30 June 2010

While I slightly prefer Life of Brian and Holy Grail, this is still a wonderful Monty Python film. It is basically a recycling of some of the funniest of their BBC TV sketches, but that is not a bad thing at all. Why? Because these sketches are actually hilarious, especially the dead parrot sketch, the Upper Class Twit of the year race, the Dirty Fork sketch and the Lumberjack song. The script is sparkling and witty, with so many quotable and laugh-out-loud funny moments, the film looks presentable, the direction is great and the music is fine. And I loved the acting too, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin are wonderful as they always are with their impeccable comic timing and their characters are cleverly incorporated and memorable. Overall, wonderful and quite unique, a must if you love Monty Python. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]