And Now for Something Completely Different
Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

And now for something completely hilarious

Author: Chris. from Australia
9 September 2012

Series of sketches compiled from the Flying Circus series showcases some of the most memorable Python gags and characterisations, an ideal introduction to the comedy styling of Britain's foremost comedy half-dozen (Cleese, Palin, Idle, Jones, Chapman and Gilliam).

Among the side-splitters are the famous Lumberjack ruminations of the local pet shop owner, trying to avoid the dead parrot complaint from a dissatisfied customer, Terry Jones playing "three blind mice" with real specimens to the horror of his lounge bar audience, and one of my favourites, the dark art of defence in the face of a banana-wielding assailant ("what about a pointed stick?").

If you're pressed for time and haven't the opportunity to absorb several hours of the Flying Circus TV series, then this compilation of sketches could be just the antidote to cure your otherwise humourless afternoon. There's no esoteric socio-political references to inhibit the humour and while it might suffer from datedness in some aspects, viewed in its temporal context, this remains ground-breaking sketch comedy.

Very funny and random film.

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
12 April 2012

Monty Pythons And Now For Something Completely Different is a hilarious movie filled with completely random sketches,especially the animated bits,which I also find to be some of the funniest bits.I find the Monty Python crew to be some of the funniest people on earth,especially John Cleese,Graham Chapman and Michael Palin.My favourite parts are,the worlds funniest joke,the dirty fork scene,the killer cars and the lumberjack song.I find the Holy Grail and Life Of Brian better though,but Monty Python never let me down.

The Monty python crew,Graham Chapman,Eric Idle,Michael Palin,John Cleese,Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam provide use with one random sketch after another in their first feature film based on sketches and characters from Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

Mash up of classic sketches

Author: susan boyle from Australia
27 October 2011

The film itself contains some well written pieces, however it is more like a preview or 'mix tape' of some Monty Python sketches. I feel that the acting (though good),comparatively lacked the energy and feeling of spontaneity given in the original versions of the sketches which were performed on T.V. There were also small changes to the dialogue of the sketches that (though maybe just because I've seen the original sketches so many times), did not fit as well. The whole movie didn't tie together as well as the T.V episodes did. I can remember watching the movie in 2003 when I was seven or eight, it was my first introduction to Monty Python and I found it hilarious, but since watching their other work I have come to see this movie as a lower-quality version. Since this movie is simply strung together classic sketches of Monty Python, I recommend simply watching the episodes or their other movies instead. This was probably their worst work.

Excellent Monty Python film

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
21 April 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different was the first of the films released by Monty Python.Most people only consider Holy Grail, Life Of Brian and Meaning Of Life(those are the only ones in the box set).But they should add this one as well.Yes it is basically skits from the series somewhat remade and combined into a feature film, but it is also a collection of some of the best skits from Monty Python flying circus.We have the dead parrot sketch, the lumberjack song, the old lady gang and many other classics! I find Monty Python's Flying Circus to have great skits, but also it's fair share of mediocre skits.This film does a great job of taking all the good ones.It is also combined with Terry Gilliam's brilliant animations.Even though you may have already seen it before, any Python fan should check this film out! They should also start considering it as a film in the series!

And now for something without canned laughter

Author: justified-3 from Russia
10 April 2010

Apart from the fact that it's great introduction to works of the famous British comedy sketch group for a newbee, I want to stress that it lacks canned laughter and even this fact deserves ten out of ten vote. Many famous sketches are there (Parrot sketch is included) some of them are shortened, some of them a little bit different, but it's the best way to introduce a new comer to "Monty Python's flying Circus". To hardcore Python fans the movie can have somewhat less value, but worth watching nonetheless. Sketches here have different from TV show links between each other, some accents are stressed in a different way somehow.

Summary: 10/10 for lack of canned laughter.

A Ragbag of Brilliant Sketches.

Author: JohnWelles from United Kingdom
7 October 2009

Monty Python's "And Now for Something Completely Different" (1971) isn't really a film. It is actually a ninety-minute sketch show that has a ragbag of some of the greatest skits ever performed, Python or otherwise. Many of the classic's are there (yes, the dead parrot make's a welcome appearance) including the wonderful "Self Defence Against Fresh Fruit" (John Clees on fine form) which is followed by the very funny spoof of BBC documentaries's in "Hell's Grannies". A personal favourite is "Expedition to Mt. Kilimanjaro" that has Cleese interviewing Eric Idle about taking him on a expedition to mount Kilimanjaro. This was my first encounter with Monty Python, and I'm glad it won't be my last.

Wide Screen Python

Author: Jake Fortune from United States
19 July 2008

This wide screen version of Monty Python's early sketches, animation and bodily sounds is a DVD delight. The humour is very much intact in better lit interiors and more expansive, textured and colorful exteriors than the TV series. I and my teenage son (we're Minneapolis Lutherans) watched it together. His delight last night, matched mine some 37 years ago. For him, it had the kind of appeal that Mad Magazine had for me a half century ago. Go Gilliam -- subversive silliness has younger champions in the land of lakes and corn.

Terry Jone's bare-assed organist continues to alert me to the dangers of naturism while still prompting me to shout "Bravo!" when ever the character appears. The Upper Class Twit sketch is among the funniest and best performed sketch to have ever been lensed.

They still are a reference to young comedians nowadays, worldwide.

Author: mario_c from Porto, Portugal
21 February 2008

Here we have a sketch-film by Monty Python that really is something different! Python are for sure one of the greatest comedian-groups ever, and I'm not talking just about English humor. They still are a reference to young comedians nowadays, worldwide. Here in Portugal, for instance, they influenced many comedians, and they're a clear source to the humor of the best Portuguese comedians at the moment, "Gato Fedorento" (their name can be translated to something like "Stinking Cat").

And now (let's talk) for something completely different: the film! It's a sketch-film done with some sketches of the first years of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" series. So we can say it's not really a film but a compilation of sketches, since there's no plot or fix characters. Nevertheless it's made up with the typical non-sense humor by Python, mixing hilarious silly jokes with some that make fun out of social and/or political matters. It's just Monty Python on their great and silly way of making fun! There're a great number of very funny sketches, others are not so hilarious but they are very good doing political sarcasm (like that one, now old-fashioned, about the American attempts to stop the international communism, during the Cold-War. They compare the American policies to the world to a teeth-past! But if we think well, it's probably not so old-fashion like that…).

It's the traditional but always funny humor of those crazy minds called Monty Python!

Fine anthology--first-hand humorist studies of a surrealist inspiration

Author: Cristi_Ciopron from CGSM, Soseaua Nationala 49
27 December 2007

These small studies usually contain the humor and its own critique. The selection here is good and deserved to be much more famous. But I guess the fame is limited by the plausible dimensions of Python's audience.

And Now For Something Completely Different is The Pythons' first film. It is as good as you could expect. Fanciful, lively surrealist inspiration. Some things are pushed as far as possible, yet there is a strong feel that the intelligent control is never really or completely lost.

Some of the jokes are absurdly well delivered.

More inventively conceived fun than sex--comedy--anyway,this isn't Benny Hill!

A fine Monty Python compilation.

Author: BlackJack_B
21 December 2007

For their first motion picture, the Pythons decided to make a compilation of some of their best skits from their first two years on BBC instead of an original film (those would come later).

And Now For Something Completely Different, named after John Cleese's famous catchphrase, is a film consisting of higher quality versions of some of their famous early skits. You'll see "Expedition to Mt. Kilimanjaro", "Nudge Nudge", "The Funniest Joke In The World" and some absolute classics such as "Dead Parrot", "The Lumberjack Song" and "Restaurant Sketch". My favorite is "Blackmail", where Eric Idle plays a host of a show that threatens to ruin people's marriages and lives unless they pay him off.

There also some great Terry Gilliam animations as well in ANFSCD. Good ones include "The Killer Cars", "Rampage Of The Cancerous Spot" and "The Cannibal Baby".

Yes, there are some weak skits here and I found the film a bit tougher to get used to as it doesn't have the T.V. trappings I usually see, but it remains an outstanding compilation for those who want to get into Monty Python's brand of sketch comedy. Highly recommended.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]