And Now for Something Completely Different (1971) Poster

87 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
supremely silly skits
didi-52 March 2004
Monty Python used this collection of sketches from their first and second TV series (re-packaged and staged again) to break into the American market. A gamble, but a successful one.

All the greats are here – Parrot Sketch, Dirty Fork, Hell's Grannies, Fresh Fruit Self Defence, Marriage Guidance – and more besides. The animated links, specially created for the movie, are funny and well put-together: and new versions of Killer Cars and the story of the Spot are excellent. In many cases the film versions of the sketches outshine those in the TV series and are more memorable, particularly those which first appeared in series 1.

This is a very good introduction to the team and a strong reminder of their early work for the BBC.
23 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yes, some are quite silly, but they know they are! Superb animations!
KGB-Greece-Patras21 September 2004
Do we really have to grade this among the other Pythons films, as best, worst or anything? Personally I don't feel like to. It's surely not my best, but its got some fine characteristics. It's pure early Pythons.

Actually it's no film, it's a non-stop trip of absurd humour, featuring shorts, lots of animations, silly commentary, politically incorrect, 100% English jokes, some of which are REALLY silly - the difference here is that we have a commentary within the film which blames of the film which really has taken a wrong turn and has become quite silly. Self parody, originality and sarcasm. And embarrassment, of course!

About the animations: Python animations (made by the masterman Terry Gilliam) are awesome. No insult here, I really enjoyed the film, even the silliest bits, but the animations are so good that they're the best in this one, as far as I am concerned. So the animations are mixed and edited within managing to create a genuine Python style.

Those not familiar with Pythons, I recommend to start over with LIFE OF BRYAN or HOLY GRAIL. Actually its quite 'difficult' humour but give it a try if you like something different!
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure Python Madness
EmperorNortonII27 June 2003
"And Now For Something Completely Different" is a showcase of the kind of comedy that defines Monty Python's Flying Circus. The BBC comedy classic has a huge following worldwide, owing to its unique use of surreal humor. This movie is a collection of some of the Pythons' best from their first two seasons, including classics like "The Lumberjack Song" and "The Dead Parrot Sketch." One of the best factors of "Monty Python" was the eye-catching animations of Terry Gilliam. This movie is rich with his art, which includes the wacky B-movie spoof "The Killer Cars." This is a movie all Python fans should see, and one Python neophytes should use as an introduction.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Contractual Obligation
Ben Nunn8 February 2002
This film really didn't need to be made - but at the time, after two excellent TV series, the Pythons were under pressure to produce a big-screen version for wider distribution.

Thus a number of sketches from the first two series were rewritten, tightened up, and re-enacted, entirely on film. The actual new material is probably around 2% of the script, and I hold the view that many of the sketches were inferior to their TV versions, and much of the better series 1 and 2 stuff (Spanish Inquisition, Silly Walks etc.) didn't even make it to ANFSCD for some reason.

It's interesting to watch the differences in production and compare this material to how it was originally done, and the new devices for linking one sketch to the next keep you on your toes.

But ultimately if you want to watch early python sketches, the TV versions are more rewarding.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Strictly for Python neophytes
magic_marker8 September 2002
To most hardcore Python fans, this film will be irrellevant, as they probably have every single sketch on DVD already, and this is essentially a "greatest hits album."

So I am going to direct this review at those who have never heard of Python before.

The film opens with a sketch called "How not to be seen," during which the narrator shoots several people in cold blood, blows people up, and then finally breaks down into hysterical laughter when he bombs a children's hospital.

This sketch is hillariously, gut bustingly funny. Why? That is the great mystery of Python. Is it the impeccable timing, the wonderful acting, or the peerless gags? Could be. But I think it is more the brilliant sense of anarchy and loony logic that makes them so brilliant. It was, after all, those people's own bloody fault they were shot; they could be seen!

Beyond this, there are the sketches that are so well known they have become cliches: the Dead Parrot sketch ("Listen mate, this parrot is dead! It's a stiff! Bereft of life it rests in peace; if you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies! This is an ex-parrot!") the Lumberjack Song ("I chop down trees, I wear high heels suspenders and a bra!/I wish I'd been a girlie, just like my dear Mama!"), the Dirty Fork sketch ("A dirty, ugly smelly piece of cultlery!!") and so on.

There is still no substitute for watching the show. Indeed many of their best sketches aren't on here; the Cheese sketch, the Adventure Holiday sketch, and my personal favourite, the Eric the Fish sketch ("Why should I be TARRED with the epithet "loony" simply because I have a pet 'alibut?"). Still this is a fairly safe introduction to their unique (That's putting it mildly) brand of humour.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dynamic team of comedy geniuses!
mylimbo27 December 2005
Their first film 'And Now for Something Completely Different' was intended to introduce the group and their humour to the American market. It was nothing but their best and most silliest skits from their first two seasons of their British TV sketch show Monty Python's Flying Circus from BBC television. By that there's no real systematic narrative here, unlike in their later efforts in 'The Holy Grail' and 'Life of Brian'. It's made up of a selection of individual skits, which were mostly hilarious, even though two or three fall short, but it moves along swiftly that you get caught up in the comically cheeky and downright nonsensical humour that had me mostly in stitches. There appealing ludicrousness bellows stupidity, but its done in a straight face, which makes it more the merrier. A lot of it makes fun at its own expense, but also mocks that of political correctness and Americanism. They were so clever in the way structured it and it stills stands up rather well today. But a quick warning their humour is an acquired taste that's for sure.

Some of these ambitious skits and segments are real ball, ranging from the lumberjack song, The dead parrot, The upper class twit of the year, Killer cars, Blackmail, Hungarian in the cigarette shop, the lion tamer and so much more. My favourite of the lot would be the Mountaineer expedition sign up. Going on throughout the film is Terry Gilliam's stunning and ultimately inventive cartoons which catch the eye and imagination. The animation is that of high standards and adds a whole new dimension to the silliness! You could see this eye for detail when he directed such flicks like 'Brazil' and 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. The boys involved John Cleese, Terry Jones, Eric Idle, Graham Chapman, Michael Palin and Terry Gilliam are nothing but entertaining in whatever they decide to come up with, by giving us a real good laugh.

This landmark comedy team is always a delight to behold. A must see for any fan, though I doubt they haven't seen it already.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is the best Python film for novices
MartinHafer12 June 2005
Although I like Monty Python and the Holy Grail better, this is still a wonderful film and it is the best one to show the uninitiated. Showing a "normal" person the Holy Grail is sort of like giving a first-time drinker a fifth of vodka! Too much, too quickly! Many of these rookies MIGHT run away in terror or suffer massive headaches when they see the Holy Grail. Instead, this film is intended for American audiences unfamiliar with the Pythons. Many of their best skits from the TV show are reproduced with better production values as well as easier to understand accents. You can really tell that they are trying to be understandable to the average American.

Now all this does NOT mean the film is normal by any stretch of the imagination! It features such classics as the Parrot Sketch, the Marriage Counselor, and my personal favorite, the couple who go to the fancy restaurant and have a piece of dirty silverware. I'm sure to the uninitiated, these skits DON'T sound funny--well watch them and see for yourself. If they make your brain hurt or the desire to flee sets in, turn off the TV briefly, take a few deep breaths and resume watching.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
well, you know Monty Python...
Lee Eisenberg16 July 2005
Containing various skits from the first two years of their famous wacky show, "And Now for Something Completely Different" was Monty Python's Flying Circus' first movie. Everyone knows the Dead Parrot, the Lumberjack Song, and such things. They must have just cracked up writing this stuff.

If absolutely nothing else, this movie (or their show) reminds us what humor should entail. If you've never seen any of Monty Python's work, this should explain it all to you, although you ought to be prepared to die laughing.

So remember, always use Crelm toothpaste!
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Meet The Monty Python's Troupe
Fuzzy Wuzzy9 January 2015
Released in 1971, this first feature presentation by the zany Monty Python's troupe is very much like a "greatest hits" album where we have these very funny guys from the UK showcasing some of their most hilariously popular sketches and bizarre animated segments from their long-running TV series of the late 1960s.

For anyone who enjoys outrageously odd comedy, this film's compilation is really a fine introduction to Monty Python's peculiar and unique brand of humour.

Filled with all sorts of surreal slapstick and supreme silliness, this film includes such unforgettable, comic gems as - The World's Deadliest Joke, Upper-Class Twit Of The Year, Hells Grannies, Dead Parrot, and Nudge-Nudge-Wink-Wink, to name but a few.

For some guaranteed giggles and outright laughs, you can always rely on the Monty Python's gang to deliver the goods..... Check it out!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inspired Lunacy Of the Highest (or is it Lowest) Order!
george.schmidt21 February 2003
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. *** John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin. Raucous collection of skits and absurd humor by the master clowns of mocking mirth, Monty Python, from their iconoclastic television series that includes many hysterically funny moments especially The Twit of the Year bit. Inspired lunacy.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful!
bowser72419 September 2002
This is definitely one of the best films I have ever seen! It takes old Flying Circus routines and modernizes them for the big screen and America. E.g. instead of saying "Robin Day's got a hedgehog called Frank" they say "President Nixon's got a hedgehog called Frank." I think that that was a good decision from the Pythonites. It contains such classics as "The Lumberjack Song", "A Dead Parrot", and "How not to be seen". Sometimes you just want to get up with Michael Palin and sing "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day" and blow up people behind bushes, as well. Definitely a must-see, "And Now For Something Completely Different" is a true classic.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Fun...But Don't Expect The Spanish Inquisition
Bill Slocum5 October 2015
It's an adjustment seeing classic bits of television comedy being repurposed for the cinema. The first-ever film by TV's Monty Python troupe offers an enjoyable, if rather restrained, showcase of reshot series excerpts.

What "And Now For Something Completely Different" lacks in originality, it makes up for in zaniness and wit. Meet a group of elderly ladies who terrorize city streets: "We like pulling the heads off sheep...and tea cakes."

Thrill to a fight to the death for the title "Upper-Class Twit of the Year:" "He doesn't know when he's beaten...He doesn't know when he's winning, either. He has no sort of sensory apparatus known to man."

Learn why British film directors don't like being called "Eddie Baby," "Angel Drawers," or "Frank," even if President Nixon has a hedgehog by that name.

It's also a chance to see the stars of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" with longer hair and shaggier sideburns, except for Terry Gilliam who makes just a couple of token appearances while sticking to animation. John Cleese steals much of the show with his delicious overacting, yet Eric Idle makes the strongest impression as everything from a randy marriage counselor to one of Hell's Grannies. Meanwhile, Terry Jones squints, Michael Palin smirks, and Graham Chapman disapproves of everything. None are as sensational as they would become, but all make impressions.

For all that it has going for it, "And Now" connects only about half the time. Gilliam's animation seems slower and more ponderous here than it did on television, and the one-joke nature of his cartoons gets exposed in a way they didn't as television interstitials. A kind of pokiness cuts into the live-action material as well, like bits involving mice that squeal on key when hit with a hammer and men with tape recorders up their noses. Each of these may be only a minute or so, but they feel much longer.

Several of Python's best-loved sketches don't appear here, like the Ministry of Silly Walks, the Spanish Inquisition, and the Crunchy Frog. The best-known sketch that does appear, the Dead Parrot, is actually a little dead itself for some reason. Director Ian MacNaughton was Python's usual director for television, and if anything shoots things in an even flatter manner here than he did for the BBC. Perhaps it's because television was Python's medium, for the way it offered a kind of subversive platform for their entertainments.

Other sketches do shine. The Funniest Joke in the World is a great laugh unless you're German, in which case view with caution. Even better is the Milkman sketch, which demonstrates the pitfall of falling for the wrong woman.

Overall, "And Now" makes for a fine Python primer, a starter course as another reviewer suggests. It's not a landmark film, or even that major a milestone by Python standards, but it delivers some laughs along with a sense of what these guys were about.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A different mix of Norweigian Blue.
morrison-dylan-fan23 November 2012
Talking to a friend recently about Comedy TV shows/movies that they had either never seen or heard of before,I was surprised to find out that she had never seen any footage of a Comedy group called Monty Python.Deciding to go for a Python DVD that would hopefully act as a good intro to their work,I was pleased to discover,that a boxset had been brought out,which along with containing the Python's most well know titles, (the classic Holy Grail,and Life of Brian-which I still need to see!) also contained two movies of the Python's that I have hardly heard ever get mentioned.

The outline of the film:

Designed as a film to introduce "Monty Python" to the US,the movie features re-staged and re-filmed sketches from the first two seasons of Monty Python's Flying Circus,with a loose,over lapping theme of a character appearing in the end of one sketch and then in the beginning of the next,and also a breaking of the sketches into pieces,by having an announcer appear on the screen every 15-20 minutes to say "And now for something completely different".

View on the film:

Joining with the Python's for their big screen debut (which despite being aimed for America,ended up making more money at the UK box office than at the US box office!),director Ian MacNaughton smartly uses the film's small $80,000 budget (from Playboy magazine) to burst the sketches out of there original studio confines,with one of the movies best sketches about a "deadly joke" being used against the German's in WW II (?) being given a brilliant "fresh" feel thanks to MacNaughton giving the scene and misty look and also fully displaying the vast location.

Despite the group surprisingly not using the widescreen format to feature a number of background or side gags that could be picked up on repeat viewings,the Python's impressively keep away from making the sketches ever feel old & recycled,by using the overlapping character's as a way to include a wonderfully new,absurd element into each of the sketches,that leads to viewer being excited about what direction the next sketch will go in,the moment they hear the words "And now for something completely different.".
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm O.K...."
ShadeGrenade6 June 2008
This was the Pythons' first attempt at a movie - made when the series was still in production - and, while in no way comparable to later classics such as 'Holy Grail' and 'Life Of Brian', its good fun, and a lot better than many of the films-based-on-T.V. sitcoms made around at that time.

Playboy club boss Victor Lownes put up the money, thinking the film had the potential to be a cult hit in the U.S.A. But it was not. For one thing, it was badly promoted ( John Cleese remembers seeing a strange poster of a grinning snake with a hat on. Just the sort of thing calculated to set box-office tills ringing, of course ) and anyway the Americans were hardly likely to go and see a film based on a show which ( at that point ) they had not seen.

'And Now' is an anthology of sketches from the first two 'Monty Python' series. Unlike 'The Best Of Benny Hill' ( which reused original television material ) these were remakes. They included 'Crunchy Frog', 'Upper Class Twit Of The Year Show', 'Marriage Guidance Councillor', 'The Lumberjack Song', 'Sir George Head', 'Hungarian Phrase Book' 'Blackmail', 'Self-Defence Class', 'Nudge Nudge' and 'Hell's Grannies'.

Some of the items benefited from the move to film, such as 'Funniest Joke In The World', while others fell flat, most notably 'The Parrot Sketch'. Michael Palin was to have reprised his role as the disgusting 'Ken Shabby', but Lownes insisted that the sequence be dropped.

Terry Jones' Nude Organist is seen for the first time, he went on to become a regular feature of the series.

The Pythons came to regard the film as an embarrassment as it was basically a rehash of old material, but it was successful in establishing that Python humour could work on the big screen. When they made 'Holy Grail' three years later, they were much more confidant and self-assured.

In the days before the availability of Python on video and D.V.D. this film was the only reminder of the group's genius. Now its somewhat redundant, but still worth viewing.

Funniest moment - tough one, this. I'll go for Palin's rendition of 'The Lumberjack Song' mainly because I love the shocked looks on the faces of the mounties as the full meaning of the lyrics hits home. Oh, and Connie Booth is sexy too! One complaint though - how on Earth did they manage to leave out the 'Ministry Of Silly Walks'?
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
And Now...10 seconds of nudity!!
nmk2002uk25 March 2004
It's.....Monty Pythons Flying Circus. And how good a circus it was. None of those annoying clowns here. Just damn good sketches, jokes, joke documentaries and spoof gameshows are what we are talking about. This, the Python's first movie, is a collection of their best sketches from series 1 (and two, I think?) made into a movie for more people to laugh at. It's all a bit silly, but, no one likes a good laugh more than I do.....except my wife.....and a few of her friends. Oh, yes and the midget around the corner. Come to think of it, everyone likes a laugh more than I do. The best Highlights of the movie have to be The mountaineering expedtion sketch, the 'How to defend yourself against fresh fruit sketch' and 'How Not To Be Seen!' The sketches they should have included are Spot The Loony and Mr Gumby's Brain consultaion with the supposed surgery. But as it stands, its funny. A bit silly, but funny. And Now For Something Completely Different: a man with three buttocks!
First Steps
Robert J. Maxwell23 June 2012
I don't know why I didn't get more out of this. Several isolated times a stern and sober British Army officer is interpolated and announces to the viewers that this isn't worth watching because "it's silly -- just silly." I ruefully found myself often agreeing.

I don't suppose there's any point in trying to outline a plot because there is none. It's a series of sketches evidently gotten from their TV show. I first heard the "dead parrot" sketch on the radio and thought it was hilarious. Now, seeing it on the screen, it seems to have lost much of its voltage. Nor did I find it so amusing when a despondent man leaves a building, stops to think for a moment, and a huge iron weight falls on him and he splats under it.

It's possible that this particular material is already familiar, so that watching the film is like hearing a joke for the second or third time. It's also likely that it doesn't seem so fresh or amusing because some of it is dated. The movie was put together in 1971, when much of Western society was in turmoil -- race riots in the streets, an unpopular war in a country no one could identify on a blank map, gays screaming out of the closet, widespread sexual indulgence, bloodshed in Northern Ireland, pop tunes encouraging revolution, that sort of thing. But it's all gone or at least abated today. So the "Granny gangs" don't resonate the way they did at the time. At the same time, the "upper-class twit" sketch still gets laughs. I mean, hunting live rabbits that are staked out and spread-eagled on the ground! Trying to commit suicide by shooting one's self -- and missing. I'm laughing now, just rerunning it in my mind.

Each of their four features were to improve monotonically, with "The Meaning of Life" nearing perfection of the style. That last one is mature. Well, mature for Monty Python. And it's both engaging and carries a covert theme of the utmost seriousness. The Granny Gangs are long gone, but questions about the meaning of life, or the absence of meaning, still plague us.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stagnant
tedg16 June 2010
This is disappointing.

I recall eagerly watching these skits on TeeVee. The shows were live, and the comedy edgy. These guys had gas and were ready to take risks. Energy.

This is a relatively overproduced version of some of those skits, interlaced with many of Terry Gilliam's comic animations.

Well, I think Gilliam has a hard time finding a niche that fits mine. Not a one of his bits was amusing to me then or now. The idea behind the python humor generally is the ability to take one small comic twist (mean grannies, dead parrot) and elaborate with unbounded silliness, often into a different context. Added is the "fold" that they know they are being silly and actively acknowledge it while turning up the dial. There is added into this movie version, for instance, a military narrator who comments on the silly factor.

Gilliam's approach is more a matter of visual oddity rather than silliness. He attempts visual puns via twisted realities, shaped by his animation technology. This worked for South Park because they were able to weave comic narrative on the cutouts. Gilliam — here and in his later movies — relies on the odd visual first. All else is secondary.

The real Pythonistas are dull here. There is no other way to say it. Skits that in the show are effective (Nudge nudge, Dead parrot, Lumberjack) were so because they had an edge. Here, they are stale leftovers.

The only really good bit was something invented for the film, taking advantage of the larger palette: the "Upper Class Twit of the Year" contest. You can see that this has the energy of a new birth on it, not rote reperformance.

Missing from this collection is their classic bit where someone goes to the argument department.

3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Landmark Comedy Compilation That Has Dated Badly
l_rawjalaurence21 January 2015
To criticize AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT on the grounds of obsolescence would seem an heretical thing to do. Monty Python had such a profound influence on the development of British comedy in the late Sixties and Seventies that their place in history is perpetually assured. And yet looking at the film nearly forty-five years later, it has to be said that much of the humor is puerile, the kind of thing that might be expected in a student production performed at the end of the spring semester. Some of the sketches go on far too long, while the more surreal moments - such as the opening sequence, involving a series of people trying not to be seen and getting blown up - are highly reminiscent of THE GOON SHOW, the groundbreaking radio program of the Fifties that provide much of Python's antecedents.

Nonetheless, for those that grew up with Python on television, film and the theater (as well as those fortunate enough to attend their series of concerts last year), AND NOW ... contains several immortal moments, such as the Parrot sketch, the upper-class twit of the year and the Lumberjack song. It's also interesting to reflect on what happened to the performers: Michael Palin, the singer in the last-named of these sketches, would eventually go on to become an established television documentary presenter and all-round celebrity appearing on innumerable tribute programs; while John Cleese would end up carving out a career as a film actor and (latterly) an autobiographer.

Some of the sketches could now be considered both sexist and racist; there are at least two occasions where viewers are encouraged to look at half-naked women and ogle them in a spirit more reminiscent of THE BENNY HILL SHOW than Monty Python. There is also one moment of dialog - obviously meant parodically - where Eric Idle talks about not wanting to live next door to "those kind of people" i.e. African-Caribbeans. Nonetheless, we should bear in mind that AND NOW ... is very much a product of its time; in the early Seventies such attitudes were still considered permissible (the ITV sitcom LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR had the white protagonist continually insulting his African-Caribbean neighbor). The location filming (such as it is) conjured up a now-vanished world of inner London, with traffic-free streets and a predominantly white population.

Definitely worth a look, but don't expect anything too humorous, especially if viewers are unfamiliar with the Pythons.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly Sketches
Bella10 October 2017
And Now For Something Completely Different is a comedy movie that succeeded in making me chuckle. The movie is made up of different funny sketches so it is not necessary to follow a plot. The actors and great and the script is witty. The scene transitions are awesome and artistic and are sure to blow your mind. If you want a good laugh and to relax your mind, turn on this movie NOW.
Classic Monty Python
gridoon20186 June 2017
In the Monty Python universe anything goes, space is irrelevant, and the filmmaking process itself becomes part of the comedy. It's by default a hit-or-miss affair, but the hits far outnumber the misses. There are many classic bits (the marriage counselor, the dead parrot, the lumberjack song, the falling bodies, etc. etc.), as nearly every British (and a few non-British) stereotype is satirized. Some jokes are stretched too long, but there is so much freedom, invention (not to forget Terry Gilliam's animated interludes) and anarchy on display that it would seem petty to complain. *** out of 4.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I like it, it's silly...
ElMaruecan827 April 2017
It's like going to a restaurant, the starter is "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and then comes the piece of resistance "Life of Brian" and if you look at the right side of life, I mean, kitchen, you'll see the dessert coming with "The Meaning of Life", a bit lighter but you've had a good meal already. What's that got to do with "And Now Something Completely Different"? Well, you have the film that played the role of the appetizer.

As far as Monty Python's history goes, there will be a before and an after 'Flying Circus' in Britain, and a before and after 'And Now For Something Completely Different" in the rest of the world, where foreign audiences will discover that they're onto now something completely different on the field of humor.

"And Now For Something Completely Different",

This is the recurring joke that marks a brief pause between the sketches, an interlude that is as hilarious as Gilliam's trademark animation. But talk about misleading audiences: yes, they're right in the sense that they do introduce something completely different, but if you expect another display of purely British absurd humor meant to produce a reaction of hilarity, the word 'different' IS misleading. That's just to say, this film, which was the first to introduce the Monty Python to the American audience by playing some of their most famous sketches without an audience, is simply the greatest monument to their comedic genius, you'll laugh, you'll chuckle, you'll faint and you'll hurl.

Well, that's it. What can I say now? Nice weather isn't it? Mmm, I don't know, I don't think there's any need to get further, who is going to read this anyway? One who saw the film knows how great it is, and one who didn't will check by himself if he didn't, and since the opening sketch is "How Not to be Seen", well, I don't think one can consider the film as unfunny after that. So, I don't know I'm wasting my time writing this while I have probably more constructive things to do.

Well, not precisely at this time, I'm unemployed and it's ten o'clock PM, so this would be the most appropriate time to write a little review. Or maybe I should go in my bed with my wife… our marriage is a real wreck… Wait … maybe I should get back to the point.

(clearing throat)

So, what's the film about? It's about a TV political program praising the virtues of not being seen, ever, providing some advice many stars of our time should follow, it is also about an accountant who dreams to become a lion tamer, a dirty book that translates Hungarian with naughty words, it's about gang of old ladies or baby snatchers, it's about a lumberjack (who's okay), a writer who wrote the deadliest joke in the world, so deadly even a chuckle can kill you, it's about a contest of upper class twats, a dirty fork's comment that escalated quickly, and many many many other glorious attempts to be funny that actually works, some better than others, but the lesser ones work better than the better of today's inner lesser programs, get my point?

I can't be serious while reviewing the film but I hope it conveys the point that this film is exactly what was war according to Clemenceau, something too serious to be given to generals, humor is too serious to be given to comedians, Monty Python aren't comedians, they operate beyond the requirements of comedy, they know the structures by the book, when to put a punch line but most of the time, they get nowhere, there is something so instinctive in their humor that you just wait until the genius clicks, when it doesn't, it means that the premise of the sketch might have been overestimated but when it does, it's laugh-out-loud that justify the more timid chuckles, what a small price to say to have a good old belly-laugh.

I enjoyed the film, I remembered I used to watch it with my high-school friend, yes, I'm a nerd (and I'm okay), it contains some of the funniest jokes ever and that it didn't meet with the initial public shows how sophisticated it was for their time and yet they could make you laugh with a few fast-motion and grimaces. You can't just label Monty Python, they're beyond any form of humor with humor as the focal point, the punctuation mark, the package, the structure and the deconstructive elements, many writers write gags with the basic elements: set-up-gag- punch-line, even the set-up in its own right is funny.

And now for something completely different… is a fantastic showcase of Pythonesque humor, one that will never cease to be, kick the bucket or be told about like a certain Blue-Norwegian parrot. Got my point, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more…
And Now for Something Completely Different
Phil Hubbs4 December 2015
This was the first feature length Python movie, an anthology movie that was made up of well known sketches that the crew had done on their TV show, Monty Python's Flying Circus (the first two series). Apparently the main goal of this movie was to break the boys into America, introduce the States to their cult British humour. The film is made up of a variety of famous sketches that had previously been seen on TV but re-shot without an audience and, apparently, with a lower budget. Knowing this actually surprised me because I've always thought this film (and the sketches) looked pretty glossy in a way, the smooth transitions, the more cinematic approach and in some aspects bigger better locations. I don't recall the original series too much as I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I always thought the series looked way more shabby than this.

Its actually amazing to read that some sketches or effects couldn't be recreated for this film because the budget was so low! This makes me wanna go back and watch the TV show to see the differences. Anyway, despite those revelations I've always liked this compilation of classic Python material and seen it as (almost) the definitive versions of the sketches, although that's probably because I grew up with this movie rather than the TV show (will somebody please fondle my buttocks!).

Watching this today as an adult many things have obviously changed, firstly, I actually understand all the gags now, all the little cheeky lines and quips are loud and clear. Its amusing to watch and remember back in the day when I didn't understand certain scenes or dialog. They totally flew over my head and I only enjoyed them mainly because I knew it was silly and because my dad was laughing. Its also quite shocking and hilarious at how offensive this movie actually is in places, its things like this that, back in the day, were virtually normal, maybe slightly taboo, but generally accepted in comedy. Watching now and its incredible! obviously you'd never get away with it. I'm pretty sure the camp soldiers on drill would be lambasted these days, also certain lines are clearly racist...'did you see who moved in next door?', 'oh yes, black as the ace of spades', 'Oh well, there goes the neighbourhood', blimey!

Its also funny to mention as early sketch which starts out with the narration...'In 1970 the British Empire lay in ruins, foreign nationals frequented the streets, many of them Hungarians'. Now is it me or, apart from the fact its Hungarians, the date of course and the sarcasm, this silly statement has actually come true! just replace Hungarians with Polish, Romanian and Bulgarian. Anyway, aside from the awkward, yet admittedly funny, offensive bits, there are of course all the main humdingers that we all know and love. The all time classic dead Parrot sketch with Cleese and Palin, 'nudge nudge, wink wink' with Idle and Jones, the lumberjack song with Palin, how to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana etc...Next to that you of course have the slightly longer skits that form small stories and offered a glimpse into the brilliant future of Python movies that had yet to be made. I actually preferred these at times as they felt more complete, obviously, like tiny comic strips with little tiny story arcs. In this movie the best of which are easily the 'Upper Class Twit of the Year' competition and the 'killer joke', which I reckon could of been made into an entire movie.

But wait! who could forget about those off the wall and quite often gruesome little animations from Gilliam. These were a real highlight for Monty Python, I especially liked them as a kid for obvious reasons. The whole concept just added a completely new layer to the proceedings, the teams surreal comedy could be expanded and more risky with the use of adult cartoons, they looked cheap and tacky, but at the same time so very well created. The almost shabby, bare bones, crude methods used for these little animated moments feel very much like a precursor to 'South Park' if you ask me, it definitely seems that way, but the fact that some of the cartoon animations (and the style) have become just as big as the live action sketches goes to prove how fantastic they were. Everybody knows a Monty Python cartoon image when they see one.

All in all, even though this film could be looked upon as not entirely classic Python seeing as they remade everything from the original series for the cinema, and to some people that might cheapen or water down their act, the film has managed a cult following. Although, I must say, with all the various incarnations of their famous sketches, they can start to feel tiresome on occasion, I have often found one specific version of a sketch to be the best with many others missing a beat. Anyway being the first Python movie this naturally holds a special place in most fans hearts and its still an excellent spicy little ride. Application forms for lion tamer are available to all those with the proper qualifications only, thank you.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not their best film but still really funny
rebecca-ry30 September 2012
'And Now for Something Completely Different' is basically just a large episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus but this is certainly not a bad thing.

Despite the film's lack of plot and confusing format it is still really funny. Of course, because there are so many sketches then there will be some that you won't like, but there will be ones that you will love (the mountaineering sketch is my personal favourite). This can mean that people may grow tired of the film before it ends and - as is always the case with Monty Python - some people will absolutely love it and some people will hate it. Terry Gilliam's animation sequences are also really funny and bizarre.

All of the cast perform really well here and have all got their personal best sketch performances in here i.e. Eric Idle's 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink' sketch. This is the first of Monty Python's films and it is not their best but it is still really funny. If you are a fan of Monty Python then you will love this film.