And Now for Something Completely Different
Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A Ragbag of Brilliant Sketches.

Author: JohnWelles from United Kingdom
7 October 2009

Monty Python's "And Now for Something Completely Different" (1971) isn't really a film. It is actually a ninety-minute sketch show that has a ragbag of some of the greatest skits ever performed, Python or otherwise. Many of the classic's are there (yes, the dead parrot make's a welcome appearance) including the wonderful "Self Defence Against Fresh Fruit" (John Clees on fine form) which is followed by the very funny spoof of BBC documentaries's in "Hell's Grannies". A personal favourite is "Expedition to Mt. Kilimanjaro" that has Cleese interviewing Eric Idle about taking him on a expedition to mount Kilimanjaro. This was my first encounter with Monty Python, and I'm glad it won't be my last.

The Peaks Outnumber the Flats

Author: TimBoHannon from Seattle Washington area
21 November 2008

The six-member comedy group Monty Python had not yet achieved international fame when "And Now for Something Completely Different" was released. It would be four years until "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" accomplished that. "And Now for Something Completely Different" is essentially a greatest hits collection from the first half of their television show. A number of the vignettes are outrageously hilarious. A few are merely puzzling. Alas, a number of them are unfunny. That is the part that surprised me.

The marriage counseling and bikini scenes, among others, seem to rely exclusively on being risqué. In real life, some men freeze and stare at pretty women. Many do utterly stupid things. We all know that. Why are we supposed to automatically laugh when we see it? That type of humor wore off when I was 15. Without some other aspect to the joke, I become uncomfortable. Perhaps that style was funnier in 1971. Humor is subjective and undergoes mild changes with the times.

Happily, "And Now for Something Completely Different" is more oasis than desert. A number of parts are great enough to garner hard laughter from people of all ages. The Pythons choose one of their funniest to open the film. It takes the form of a public service message on "How Not to be Seen." The scene's device takes goofy to a whole new level. It is written with the essence of British humor as the joke is gradually blown up to amazing proportions.

In fact, the parts of the movie that work are based on either developing a situation to total absurdity or portraying circumstances so zany only the Pythons could dream them up. The most notable instance is when a restaurant patron makes an innocent request and receives far more than he wants. The film contains the Dead Parrot sketch, possibly their most famous, and the immortal Lumberjack Song. Among the good scenes, I am partial to the Kilimanjaro expedition and The People Falling out of High Buildings.

Graham Chapman shows up as the straight man and reprises his famous role as the colonel who thinks everything is "too silly." Generally, John Cleese has the most demonstrative roles, Eric Idle remains proper throughout the chaos, Michael Palin plays the most outrageous roles, including the Lumberjack; and Terry Jones excels with the most reserved characters. Terry Gilliam creates the cartoons. Each Python had discovered their strength by that time.

"And Now for Something Completely Different" lacks some sketches that I hoped to see such as the "Spanish Inquisition," "Ministry of Silly Walks," and the exploding penguin. In any case, it is a mix of great and awful with the funny times outnumbering the poor ones. I rated the great scenes as a ten, the good ones as a six and the stupid parts a one. Therefore, "And Now for Something Completely Different rates a 6.4 out of ten, which I round up to seven because it opens and closes well.

Wide Screen Python

Author: Jake Fortune from United States
19 July 2008

This wide screen version of Monty Python's early sketches, animation and bodily sounds is a DVD delight. The humour is very much intact in better lit interiors and more expansive, textured and colorful exteriors than the TV series. I and my teenage son (we're Minneapolis Lutherans) watched it together. His delight last night, matched mine some 37 years ago. For him, it had the kind of appeal that Mad Magazine had for me a half century ago. Go Gilliam -- subversive silliness has younger champions in the land of lakes and corn.

Terry Jone's bare-assed organist continues to alert me to the dangers of naturism while still prompting me to shout "Bravo!" when ever the character appears. The Upper Class Twit sketch is among the funniest and best performed sketch to have ever been lensed.

"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm O.K...."

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
6 June 2008

This was the Pythons' first attempt at a movie - made when the series was still in production - and, while in no way comparable to later classics such as 'Holy Grail' and 'Life Of Brian', its good fun, and a lot better than many of the films-based-on-T.V. sitcoms made around at that time.

Playboy club boss Victor Lownes put up the money, thinking the film had the potential to be a cult hit in the U.S.A. But it was not. For one thing, it was badly promoted ( John Cleese remembers seeing a strange poster of a grinning snake with a hat on. Just the sort of thing calculated to set box-office tills ringing, of course ) and anyway the Americans were hardly likely to go and see a film based on a show which ( at that point ) they had not seen.

'And Now' is an anthology of sketches from the first two 'Monty Python' series. Unlike 'The Best Of Benny Hill' ( which reused original television material ) these were remakes. They included 'Crunchy Frog', 'Upper Class Twit Of The Year Show', 'Marriage Guidance Councillor', 'The Lumberjack Song', 'Sir George Head', 'Hungarian Phrase Book' 'Blackmail', 'Self-Defence Class', 'Nudge Nudge' and 'Hell's Grannies'.

Some of the items benefited from the move to film, such as 'Funniest Joke In The World', while others fell flat, most notably 'The Parrot Sketch'. Michael Palin was to have reprised his role as the disgusting 'Ken Shabby', but Lownes insisted that the sequence be dropped.

Terry Jones' Nude Organist is seen for the first time, he went on to become a regular feature of the series.

The Pythons came to regard the film as an embarrassment as it was basically a rehash of old material, but it was successful in establishing that Python humour could work on the big screen. When they made 'Holy Grail' three years later, they were much more confidant and self-assured.

In the days before the availability of Python on video and D.V.D. this film was the only reminder of the group's genius. Now its somewhat redundant, but still worth viewing.

Funniest moment - tough one, this. I'll go for Palin's rendition of 'The Lumberjack Song' mainly because I love the shocked looks on the faces of the mounties as the full meaning of the lyrics hits home. Oh, and Connie Booth is sexy too! One complaint though - how on Earth did they manage to leave out the 'Ministry Of Silly Walks'?

They still are a reference to young comedians nowadays, worldwide.

Author: mario_c from Porto, Portugal
21 February 2008

Here we have a sketch-film by Monty Python that really is something different! Python are for sure one of the greatest comedian-groups ever, and I'm not talking just about English humor. They still are a reference to young comedians nowadays, worldwide. Here in Portugal, for instance, they influenced many comedians, and they're a clear source to the humor of the best Portuguese comedians at the moment, "Gato Fedorento" (their name can be translated to something like "Stinking Cat").

And now (let's talk) for something completely different: the film! It's a sketch-film done with some sketches of the first years of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" series. So we can say it's not really a film but a compilation of sketches, since there's no plot or fix characters. Nevertheless it's made up with the typical non-sense humor by Python, mixing hilarious silly jokes with some that make fun out of social and/or political matters. It's just Monty Python on their great and silly way of making fun! There're a great number of very funny sketches, others are not so hilarious but they are very good doing political sarcasm (like that one, now old-fashioned, about the American attempts to stop the international communism, during the Cold-War. They compare the American policies to the world to a teeth-past! But if we think well, it's probably not so old-fashion like that…).

It's the traditional but always funny humor of those crazy minds called Monty Python!

Fine anthology--first-hand humorist studies of a surrealist inspiration

Author: Cristi_Ciopron from CGSM, Soseaua Nationala 49
27 December 2007

These small studies usually contain the humor and its own critique. The selection here is good and deserved to be much more famous. But I guess the fame is limited by the plausible dimensions of Python's audience.

And Now For Something Completely Different is The Pythons' first film. It is as good as you could expect. Fanciful, lively surrealist inspiration. Some things are pushed as far as possible, yet there is a strong feel that the intelligent control is never really or completely lost.

Some of the jokes are absurdly well delivered.

More inventively conceived fun than sex--comedy--anyway,this isn't Benny Hill!

A fine Monty Python compilation.

Author: BlackJack_B
21 December 2007

For their first motion picture, the Pythons decided to make a compilation of some of their best skits from their first two years on BBC instead of an original film (those would come later).

And Now For Something Completely Different, named after John Cleese's famous catchphrase, is a film consisting of higher quality versions of some of their famous early skits. You'll see "Expedition to Mt. Kilimanjaro", "Nudge Nudge", "The Funniest Joke In The World" and some absolute classics such as "Dead Parrot", "The Lumberjack Song" and "Restaurant Sketch". My favorite is "Blackmail", where Eric Idle plays a host of a show that threatens to ruin people's marriages and lives unless they pay him off.

There also some great Terry Gilliam animations as well in ANFSCD. Good ones include "The Killer Cars", "Rampage Of The Cancerous Spot" and "The Cannibal Baby".

Yes, there are some weak skits here and I found the film a bit tougher to get used to as it doesn't have the T.V. trappings I usually see, but it remains an outstanding compilation for those who want to get into Monty Python's brand of sketch comedy. Highly recommended.

Basically its the Best of Flying Circus

Author: mjw2305 from England
13 October 2007

With this movie, all python fans will no exactly what they are getting, it basically all the best sketches from the Flying Circus series, re-filmed and arranged into a anthology of comedy genius.

Nearly all of the favourites are included, and of course the whole Python Gang is here; making this a real treat for every fan of the series.

The thing with Python comedy is the originality of the gags and the characters, but sadly they do have limited appeal for the new generation; such is the sheer lunacy and diversity of the humour.

I give it 8/10 "Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink; Say No More!"

They really were something completely different...

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
27 March 2006

Before moving on to cinema, the Monty Python were known for their witty, anarchic, politically incorrect sketches which aired on the BBC as part of the show Monty Python's Flying Circus. The sextet's feature debut, And Now for Something Completely Different, is a selection of unseen material, thanks to which the Python's irreverent humor became known to the whole world.

Throughout the episodes, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin stage a series of surreal, hilarious and embarrassing situations. These skits have no links whatsoever between them, with the exception of Gilliam's animated sequences, which precede certain segments, and the occasional appearance of Cleese's host, speaking the titular line.

The fact that it's not a proper movie, but a succession of unrelated jokes, unlike their following films, is a partial disappointment. In addition, not all the gags are equally funny. But some of them are really exceptional, the undeniable proof that the Python set the foundations for modern comedy, still not surpassed (The Office is quite close, though). The unmissable bits are The Dead Parrot, The Dirty Fork, The World's Funniest Joke and The Lumberjack Song (ace, even if it can't beat the peerless Always Look on the Bright Side of Life). Those segments will cheer you up like few other movies have managed to (unless it's another Python feature, of course). In fact, perhaps, when the closing credits start rolling, you might be able to actually see John Cleese announce your return to reality:

And now for something completely different...

If you like daft, you will love this....

Author: jesussaysohyeahtokungfu from United Kingdom
17 February 2006

For someone who had never watched more than 5 minutes of Monty Python before I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, it had me laughing 95% of the way through.

If I'm honest the parrot scene what I had heard so much about didn't crack me up half as much as the others 'mad grannies' 'guide to hiding' 'the giant cat' etc , this maybe because it was supposed to be viewed without the hype and gets you like the other scenes with its randomness.

If you love things like harry enfield, fast show, monkey dust etc then you will love this film as its like a godfather to them all.

I'd totally recommend as a worth see...7/10.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]