IMDb > Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Tora! Tora! Tora! More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 17: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Best & Most Accurate Portrayal of Events As They Happened

Author: getyourdander from United States
7 December 2006

This is a fine film on many levels. First, the script tried very hard to go after historical accuracy. On every known level they succeeded. The film was produced with 2 separate units, one which showed the Japanese side, & the other the American Side.

Besides this is a third side- the diplomatic side. While this side might drag for you action viewers, it accurately portrays the political intrigue going on with Japan leading up to the attack. This is not an easy side to show & there are those who think FDR ignored warning signs deliberately. When you watch this portion, you realize that even FDR is not that smart.

The film does not waste it's time putting in any fake story, & actually creates some more interesting stories from the true accounts of the time leading up to the attack. While the special effects are 1970 vintage, the attack sequences are well done. So well in fact that stock footage from this film is also used in MIDWAY & some other films made later.

A veteran cast of actors is solid in performances of real, well known historic characters. Some unknown actors do very well in supporting roles. The Japanese cast is outstanding.

In honor of Pearl Harbor Day, this is the film to watch. It was a very popular film in Japan because it ends with them on top after the attack. Their audiences do not comprehend the terrible diplomatic mistake they made even today.

Still the best about Pearl Harbor

Author: fastball1740 from Florida
12 July 2004

While the acting was far from Oscar worthy and the plot slow at times Tora! Tora! Tora! remains the best account on film concerning the tragic events that occurred at Pearl Harbor.

The movie's strengths lie in its accuracy and use of real events. For example it uses Yamamoto's actual line about awaking a sleeping giant instead inserting some fancy overly dramatic phrase. Furthermore, the film is not judgemental about its characters and lets the viewer come to his or her own conclusion as to whom the blame should fall.

For the time the film was made the special effects were good and the story was one that could not be forgotten. Other accounts still pale in comparison and that is the final measure for me.

Fantastic special effects for 1970 !

Author: Joel Pettegrew from Richmond, Texas USA
25 March 2004

I couldn't find many mistakes in aircraft types, appearances, etc. as there was in MIDWAY, another favorite of mine. My BIG question is] "how did they make all those special and true-to-fact effects without the computer assistance available today?" The entire film was as if I was there without all the "hollywood fake stuff" you see in Pearl Harbor. What a Classic ! I've seen it maybe 10 times and still enjoy it.

I would LOVE to find a film documentary on "How we filmed "Tora! Tora! Tora!" Anybody know of any such thing?

great battle

Author: alizaire74 from Las Vegas, NV
6 March 2004

I caught the last hour on tv, and I was very impressed with T3. The widescreen panoramas would be quite something to see on the big screen.

Others can critique the historical acuracies, but I thought it was appropriate to hear Japanese instead of English, which I gather was a studio anomaly at the time of release.

Mostly, though, I'll point out that the special effects were FANTASTIC! Several sequences of planes getting destroyed as they attempted takeoff were amazingly real and suspenseful. I can't fathom how these scenes were created 30 years ago.

Lame acting, but phenomenal special effects

Author: Ajhalllpn from Lewiston, ME
5 March 2004

In spite of employing some of the best actors in Hollywood, much of the acting in this movie is so bad it hurts to watch. Fifth-graders doing their first play in front of an audience could do better than some of the performances in this movie. That said, the special effects save the movie. It remains a powerful film, one that is historically accurate, while packing an emotional punch that cannot be denied.

I can watch this movie almost 35 years after it was made and marvel at some of the effects. How did they DO some of those things? Some of the scenes of planes blowing up are so detailed that you really wonder if the producers didn't have some hidden stash of aircraft at a secret airfield. And the scenes of the Japanese planes taking off from the carriers....I simply don't know how they did it, but it looked as real as anything I can imagine (and I served 3 years on an aircraft carrier!) The special effects of "Pearl Harbor" (a much weaker, sappier movie) were no better.

The movie itself is balanced and accurate in its portrayal of the event. The temptation to slide into the "coulda, shoulda, woulda" mode must have been almost irresistible, and at times it comes close to doing just that. But in the end, it's probably the best "big picture" war movie going. With some tighter directing, it could easily have been one of the best war movies of all-time, period.

Beats The Heck Out of Pearl Harbor(2001)

Author: Sean_Katakuri from Liverpool, NewYork
15 December 2003

I saw this movie on TV and i gotta say that it was very well done. Even though its over thirty years old, I though it was a good movie.It was better than Pearl Harbor. That movie was just another History-Love film. Just like the Titanic and that why it failed at the box office. I really liked the Battle scence in this film. I just wanted to say if you need to teach your kids about The Bombing of Pearl Harbor, show them Tora! Tora! Tora... forget Pearl Harbor (2001).....its a romance, not a history film.

Plain and simple

Author: dodgerdude100953
17 December 2002

I'll just keep this one plain and simple, THIS MOVIE KICKS THE CRAP OUT OF PEARL HARBOR!!! I love this movie, It has a great script for the time that it was written, It is an all around good movie.

A meticulous,excellent depiction of December 7,1941

Author: John Murray from Meriden, Ct, Usa
26 October 2002

Tora! Tora! Tora! is a meticulous,excellent depiction of December 7,1941.It is refreshing in that it depicts the story from both the American and Japanese sides.Solid performances especially from Martin Balsam,Jason Robards,E.G. Marshall and Soh Yamanura as Admiral Yamamoto. It is well directed by both Fleischer and the two Japanese directors.The special FX are excellent,especially for 1970,and Jerry Goldsmith's score is excellent also.I did like Pearl Harbor(2001),but this is better.10 out of 10.

Very realistic!!!

Author: DJAkin (Donjakin1988@gmail.com) from AZ
13 October 2002

I bought this movie on DVD. It's very long and even has an intermission. The movie shows the planning of the attack through the eyes of the Japanese. It also shows how nervous the American brass was during the days leadin up to the attack. This movie was very educational. There is so much about that attack that I did not know. I still have many lingering questions. I had no idea that the leader of that Japanese fleet was a HARVARD GRADUATE!! No wonder he felt kind of bad about bombing Pearl Harbour. The actual attack scenes were so realistic!! I am certain that there were injuries. Anyway, great movie but you must be prepared to sit through over two hours of it. So, be in the correct mindset when you pop this DVD in. I can't wait to listen to the DIRECTORS COMMENTARY.

Superb! All Around a First-rate War Movie

Author: Charlie-148 from Raleigh, NC
26 July 2002

Superb Performances! Excellent Pace! All Around a First-rate War Movie. The director's use of good solid actors and not the "Hollywood Star Types" gives this movie a real realistic quality. The movement to follow all the events in Pearl Harbor, Japan, and Washington was skillful and keeps the viewers interest. A Great War Movie!