IMDb > Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Tora! Tora! Tora! More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 16: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Lame acting, but phenomenal special effects

Author: Ajhalllpn from Lewiston, ME
5 March 2004

In spite of employing some of the best actors in Hollywood, much of the acting in this movie is so bad it hurts to watch. Fifth-graders doing their first play in front of an audience could do better than some of the performances in this movie. That said, the special effects save the movie. It remains a powerful film, one that is historically accurate, while packing an emotional punch that cannot be denied.

I can watch this movie almost 35 years after it was made and marvel at some of the effects. How did they DO some of those things? Some of the scenes of planes blowing up are so detailed that you really wonder if the producers didn't have some hidden stash of aircraft at a secret airfield. And the scenes of the Japanese planes taking off from the carriers....I simply don't know how they did it, but it looked as real as anything I can imagine (and I served 3 years on an aircraft carrier!) The special effects of "Pearl Harbor" (a much weaker, sappier movie) were no better.

The movie itself is balanced and accurate in its portrayal of the event. The temptation to slide into the "coulda, shoulda, woulda" mode must have been almost irresistible, and at times it comes close to doing just that. But in the end, it's probably the best "big picture" war movie going. With some tighter directing, it could easily have been one of the best war movies of all-time, period.

Beats The Heck Out of Pearl Harbor(2001)

Author: Sean_Katakuri from Liverpool, NewYork
15 December 2003

I saw this movie on TV and i gotta say that it was very well done. Even though its over thirty years old, I though it was a good movie.It was better than Pearl Harbor. That movie was just another History-Love film. Just like the Titanic and that why it failed at the box office. I really liked the Battle scence in this film. I just wanted to say if you need to teach your kids about The Bombing of Pearl Harbor, show them Tora! Tora! Tora... forget Pearl Harbor (2001).....its a romance, not a history film.

Plain and simple

Author: dodgerdude100953
17 December 2002

I'll just keep this one plain and simple, THIS MOVIE KICKS THE CRAP OUT OF PEARL HARBOR!!! I love this movie, It has a great script for the time that it was written, It is an all around good movie.

A meticulous,excellent depiction of December 7,1941

Author: John Murray from Meriden, Ct, Usa
26 October 2002

Tora! Tora! Tora! is a meticulous,excellent depiction of December 7,1941.It is refreshing in that it depicts the story from both the American and Japanese sides.Solid performances especially from Martin Balsam,Jason Robards,E.G. Marshall and Soh Yamanura as Admiral Yamamoto. It is well directed by both Fleischer and the two Japanese directors.The special FX are excellent,especially for 1970,and Jerry Goldsmith's score is excellent also.I did like Pearl Harbor(2001),but this is better.10 out of 10.

Very realistic!!!

Author: DJAkin (Donjakin1988@gmail.com) from AZ
13 October 2002

I bought this movie on DVD. It's very long and even has an intermission. The movie shows the planning of the attack through the eyes of the Japanese. It also shows how nervous the American brass was during the days leadin up to the attack. This movie was very educational. There is so much about that attack that I did not know. I still have many lingering questions. I had no idea that the leader of that Japanese fleet was a HARVARD GRADUATE!! No wonder he felt kind of bad about bombing Pearl Harbour. The actual attack scenes were so realistic!! I am certain that there were injuries. Anyway, great movie but you must be prepared to sit through over two hours of it. So, be in the correct mindset when you pop this DVD in. I can't wait to listen to the DIRECTORS COMMENTARY.

Superb! All Around a First-rate War Movie

Author: Charlie-148 from Raleigh, NC
26 July 2002

Superb Performances! Excellent Pace! All Around a First-rate War Movie. The director's use of good solid actors and not the "Hollywood Star Types" gives this movie a real realistic quality. The movement to follow all the events in Pearl Harbor, Japan, and Washington was skillful and keeps the viewers interest. A Great War Movie!

EXCELLENT!!!

Author: suggamamma626 from Baldwin Park Cal.
18 July 2002

Tora!Tora!Tora! Is one if the greatest World War II movies I have ever seen. This movie actually shows both sides of the picture, the American side and the Japanese side. You don't usually see that in the war movies. It also shows the mistakes of our military defiance. Almost all war movies don't show the flaws of the U.S.A. To me the balance of both sides is well done. Some of the characters over did it but it still it was great. What I mean by overdoing it is that characters talk too much. The special effects were very good espacially for being back in 1970. Even though the effects we have now days are much more advanced and more realistic. The scenes in the movie were absolutely marvelous. In every scene the background looks real. The battle scenes were not that great but yet, the movie kept its focus and that's what I like about it. I highly recommended it.

Excellent depiction

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
7 June 2002

Tora! Tora! Tora! is the true depiction of the attacks on Pearl Harbor, with no love story crap like the other Pearl Harbor. It actually focuses on both the Japanese' side attack and how they planned it out to the American's side of things and how we recovered. That is how it really happened. Miss Pearl Harbor (2001) and go see this.

Overall the movie is an excellent depiction and I highly recommend it. Rating 10 out of 10.

Looks better now than 32 years ago.

Author: narmer71 from USA
6 May 2002

I paid to see this film in the theater in 1970 and was very disappointed. However, it actually looks good in comparison to last summer's Pearl Harbor. The movie is a docu-drama of the events and personalities leading up to the attack on December 7, 1941. The one historical element left out of the movie is the Japanese spy system that identified the targets. This attack was probably the most pivotal event in the twentieth century. I believe that the movie suffered from too many characters and too much attention to accuracy in detail. The film was released at a time when no war movie had a chance of success, the height of the Vietnam War.

Of the movies made about Pearl Harbor this is the best with the possible exception of John Ford's 30 minute version released in 1942.

Excellent docu-drama

Author: richardjf from New Zealand
11 April 2002

This is an excellent docu-drama showing the build up to the attack at Pearl Harbour from both American and Japanese sides. The attack itself is an amazing achievement - so realistic and totally deserving an Academy Award, especially in the days before computer generated effects. I sometimes watch this movie just to try and work out how they achieved their special effects.

I found the events before the attack very tense and suspenseful. American military intelligence had cracked Japanese radio codes, and they were aware something was about to happen but didn't know where or when. They also had to convince their superiors of their suspicions.

Surprisingly, this movie didn't do well when first released, and I often wonder why. I wonder if the docu-drama format, and lack of personal story-type snippets (like they used in "The Longest Day") makes this movie a little dry for people who don't have an interest in what happened at Pearl Harbour or military history. I'm not sure, and this is just my speculation.

Anyway, this movie is one of my personal favourites.