IMDb > Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Tora! Tora! Tora! More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Beats The Heck Out of Pearl Harbor(2001)

Author: Sean_Katakuri from Liverpool, NewYork
15 December 2003

I saw this movie on TV and i gotta say that it was very well done. Even though its over thirty years old, I though it was a good movie.It was better than Pearl Harbor. That movie was just another History-Love film. Just like the Titanic and that why it failed at the box office. I really liked the Battle scence in this film. I just wanted to say if you need to teach your kids about The Bombing of Pearl Harbor, show them Tora! Tora! Tora... forget Pearl Harbor (2001).....its a romance, not a history film.

Plain and simple

Author: dodgerdude100953
17 December 2002

I'll just keep this one plain and simple, THIS MOVIE KICKS THE CRAP OUT OF PEARL HARBOR!!! I love this movie, It has a great script for the time that it was written, It is an all around good movie.

A meticulous,excellent depiction of December 7,1941

Author: John Murray from Meriden, Ct, Usa
26 October 2002

Tora! Tora! Tora! is a meticulous,excellent depiction of December 7,1941.It is refreshing in that it depicts the story from both the American and Japanese sides.Solid performances especially from Martin Balsam,Jason Robards,E.G. Marshall and Soh Yamanura as Admiral Yamamoto. It is well directed by both Fleischer and the two Japanese directors.The special FX are excellent,especially for 1970,and Jerry Goldsmith's score is excellent also.I did like Pearl Harbor(2001),but this is better.10 out of 10.

Very realistic!!!

Author: DJAkin (Donjakin1988@gmail.com) from AZ
13 October 2002

I bought this movie on DVD. It's very long and even has an intermission. The movie shows the planning of the attack through the eyes of the Japanese. It also shows how nervous the American brass was during the days leadin up to the attack. This movie was very educational. There is so much about that attack that I did not know. I still have many lingering questions. I had no idea that the leader of that Japanese fleet was a HARVARD GRADUATE!! No wonder he felt kind of bad about bombing Pearl Harbour. The actual attack scenes were so realistic!! I am certain that there were injuries. Anyway, great movie but you must be prepared to sit through over two hours of it. So, be in the correct mindset when you pop this DVD in. I can't wait to listen to the DIRECTORS COMMENTARY.

Superb! All Around a First-rate War Movie

Author: Charlie-148 from Raleigh, NC
26 July 2002

Superb Performances! Excellent Pace! All Around a First-rate War Movie. The director's use of good solid actors and not the "Hollywood Star Types" gives this movie a real realistic quality. The movement to follow all the events in Pearl Harbor, Japan, and Washington was skillful and keeps the viewers interest. A Great War Movie!

EXCELLENT!!!

Author: suggamamma626 from Baldwin Park Cal.
18 July 2002

Tora!Tora!Tora! Is one if the greatest World War II movies I have ever seen. This movie actually shows both sides of the picture, the American side and the Japanese side. You don't usually see that in the war movies. It also shows the mistakes of our military defiance. Almost all war movies don't show the flaws of the U.S.A. To me the balance of both sides is well done. Some of the characters over did it but it still it was great. What I mean by overdoing it is that characters talk too much. The special effects were very good espacially for being back in 1970. Even though the effects we have now days are much more advanced and more realistic. The scenes in the movie were absolutely marvelous. In every scene the background looks real. The battle scenes were not that great but yet, the movie kept its focus and that's what I like about it. I highly recommended it.

Excellent depiction

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
7 June 2002

Tora! Tora! Tora! is the true depiction of the attacks on Pearl Harbor, with no love story crap like the other Pearl Harbor. It actually focuses on both the Japanese' side attack and how they planned it out to the American's side of things and how we recovered. That is how it really happened. Miss Pearl Harbor (2001) and go see this.

Overall the movie is an excellent depiction and I highly recommend it. Rating 10 out of 10.

Looks better now than 32 years ago.

Author: narmer71 from USA
6 May 2002

I paid to see this film in the theater in 1970 and was very disappointed. However, it actually looks good in comparison to last summer's Pearl Harbor. The movie is a docu-drama of the events and personalities leading up to the attack on December 7, 1941. The one historical element left out of the movie is the Japanese spy system that identified the targets. This attack was probably the most pivotal event in the twentieth century. I believe that the movie suffered from too many characters and too much attention to accuracy in detail. The film was released at a time when no war movie had a chance of success, the height of the Vietnam War.

Of the movies made about Pearl Harbor this is the best with the possible exception of John Ford's 30 minute version released in 1942.

Excellent docu-drama

Author: richardjf from New Zealand
11 April 2002

This is an excellent docu-drama showing the build up to the attack at Pearl Harbour from both American and Japanese sides. The attack itself is an amazing achievement - so realistic and totally deserving an Academy Award, especially in the days before computer generated effects. I sometimes watch this movie just to try and work out how they achieved their special effects.

I found the events before the attack very tense and suspenseful. American military intelligence had cracked Japanese radio codes, and they were aware something was about to happen but didn't know where or when. They also had to convince their superiors of their suspicions.

Surprisingly, this movie didn't do well when first released, and I often wonder why. I wonder if the docu-drama format, and lack of personal story-type snippets (like they used in "The Longest Day") makes this movie a little dry for people who don't have an interest in what happened at Pearl Harbour or military history. I'm not sure, and this is just my speculation.

Anyway, this movie is one of my personal favourites.

This was how they used to make them.....

Author: The Ebullient One from Terra
8 April 2002

Some people have said, and with some justification, that Tora! Tora! Tora! is three parts boring history and one part action movie. If the movie's only goal was to be a drama about the attack on Pearl Harbor then maybe they would be right, but this is primarily a documentary. We see all the mistakes, from the seemed a good idea at the time to the truly monumental, that led up to the attack. Reality doesn't conveniently fit our notions of plot and drama, but does let us see why events happened as they did.

Matters aren't perfect, as I've heard the Japanese bombers were attacking from about 10,000 feet, not off the deck as portrayed, and some of the ship scenes are obviously models, but considering the film's effort to be factual it can be given a little leeway.

Some scenes stick forever in my mind, such as Yamamoto's words at the end about what the attack may have accomplished, and somberly walking out on the deck of his massive battleship, knowing it will all be swept away in the battles to come. That last scene was more powerful than all the action sequences before it, and I think playing Yamamoto was one of Toshiro Mifune's best roles.

This is also a film that probably couldn't be made today, for two reasons. First is there simply aren't enough serviceable World War Two era aircraft to make the flying squadrons coming in for the attack. (Yes, I know the Japanese planes were built from American trainers--but those trainers dated from about the same time period.) Today, as with the awful Pearl Harbor movie last summer, everything would be CGI effects. But no matter how good the special effects are they can't really catch the feel of a real airplane doing the same thing. It's amazing they were able to do this as late as 1970, and the closest movie I can think of for a similar effect of real aircraft flying in the scenes is "The Blue Max."

Secondly is the film makers of the time could make a historical movie and simply tell the story. Today it seems the set designs are perfect and the special effects get louder and more explosive, but the key elements are warped. Too often we get characters and plot points changed to fit conventional standards of political correctness or exaggerated ideas of how people were supposed to act and behave. It's a real shame as movies like Tora are few and far between. The only thing that could have made this one better is if Akira Kurosawa would have been able to direct the Japanese segments. As it is I rank Tora up with one of the top five war movies.

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]