IMDb > Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Tora! Tora! Tora! More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Very Good History !

Author: rph120741
19 July 2004

Tora ! Tora! Tora! is about history made into a movie and for the most part it's accurate. In Japanese the word "tora" means "tiger". It was the code words used by Lt/Comm. Fuchita upon finding the American fleet at anchor and beginning the attack on Hawaii which included the naval base at Pearl Harbor. As history, "Tora" is far better than "Pearl Harbor" which is pure fiction. There are some very good special effects in "Pearl Harbor" but that's about as close as it comes as to what really occurred on December 7th. From the costumes and sets "Tora" is right on the money. Very few mistakes can be found and some of the uniforms, insignia, and props were real period pieces. No Japanese battleship survived the war but in the opening credits of "Tora" that's a Japanese Navy battleship. They made a life size mock-up ! It's this attention to detail that makes "Tora" what it is.....a historical classic. "Tora" tells you what happened (from both the Japanese and American view point) and it lets the viewer find out and decide for themselves why it happened. If you want entertainment, see Pearl Harbor". If you want history....then "Tora! Tora! Tora!" is the movie.

Great Movie

Author: samos from Washington, Dc
16 June 2004

My father and I saw Tora! Tora! Tora! at the Virginia Premier at a showing for Pearl Harbor survivors. Needless to say there were a lot of comments about how realistic the movie was.

There were also comments about what was wrong with the movie, most of which couldn't be helped. For example, the PBY aircraft that was being flown was a later version, but none of the aircraft of the type that were actually at Pearl Harbor survived to when the movie was being filmed.

There were also some minor issues with uniforms but I can't remember all of that, except for the scene on the U.S.S. Ward where enlistedmen are on the bridge in working uniforms and not whites. I was told that was a definite error in the peace-time Navy.

An earlier comment about how the aircraft carrier scenes were filmed. The production company rented the U.S.S. Yorktown and flew the aircraft off of it. The Yorktown was decommissioned about a year after the movie was filmed.

If you look closely in the background, there is a destroyer with an American flag. Further behind the destroyer is a Russian trawler who came along for the ride.

Most of the aircraft that are seen being destroyed on the ground are mock-ups built for the express purpose of being destroyed. That's why they look so real.

The battleships U.S.S. Nevada and the U.S.S. Arizona are one in the same. It was a full sized model that was mounted on a barge. It was used as the U.S.S. Nevada for the initial attack and then for the run across the harbor.

At the end of the filming, it was destroyed to similate the destruction of the U.S.S. Arizona.

Another interesting point about the movie, the scene of the B-17 landing on 1 main wheel is real. The plane had a hydraulic failure during the filming and was forced to land on 1 main wheel. The plane was heavily damanged but was repaired and flew again, but not until after the movie was completed.

A must-see for anyone interested in WWII!

Author: Sznfctm (Sznfctm@fw.hu) from Budapest, Hungary
17 April 2004

I've not yet finished Tora Tora Tora, I have about 20 minutes left, but I was already impressed after the first 30 minutes. It's one of the best fact-based WWII movies. Unlike Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor, it looks and feels like something backed up with historical facts, from the first minute to the last. Instead of greasy love scenes with young Americans, you see both sides of the story from the beginning to the end. Most interestingly, the film doesn't try to judge the events - a rare thing to see in a war movie! -, it just explains and shows them all, and lets the audience do the rest. I think it's the most important reason I'd recommend it to people interested in history and WWII. A well-done historical movie - not a very hollywood-ish one, but feels like seeing history itself!

An even-handed portrayal

Author: Kakarrot from Cleveland, Ohio
3 March 2004

What I liked most about this film is how it shows what was happening on both sides of the conflict in terms of the planning and execution. As a work of historical dramatization, it is highly detailed and easy to follow. I also liked that the dialogue was in the original languages of the folks involved in the conflict.

What could've used some improvement was the pacing. It seemed to drag a bit in places and, up until the attack on Pearl Harbor, was a bit dry in the dialogue. I think if we were more involved in some of the characters, it might have made for a more exciting and engaging film overall. However, they tried that in the movie "Pearl Harbor" and it failed miserably.

Gets Better with age

Author: the_mad_mckenna from Chicago, IL
29 February 2004

Tora Tora Tora (hereafter refereed to as T3) is a mature, thinking man's film. It was somewhat of a commercial flop when it was released, and I'm not surprised. It's long, but that isn't a bad thing - the story is put into its rightful context, with interweaving stories about intelligence and diplomatic efforts prior to the attack. We shift back and forth, from Hawaii to Washington DC to the flagship Carrier Akagi. The Japanese portions are great - instead of rounding up Pat Morita and George Takai and any other Japanese-American actor to deliver stunted lines, you instead feel very much an insider to Admiral Yamamoto's thoughts.

The details are fantastic - I especially like that they accurately painted the design on the fore of the Akagi's flight deck - something other films wouldn't have taken the the time to do. Also, they keep the interpersonal relations out of it (no one talks about being from from Brooklyn), which leads to alot less hokey dialogue, and the battle scenes are quite realistic - compare viewing "The Longest Day" with "Saving Private Ryan", for example - the former is almost embarrassing in terms of perceived realism. Not so with T3.

An excellent effort, and one of the few films I would actually show to students if I was teaching a history class.

A vote for one of the best

Author: Ken Dougherty (adckhd) from Farmersville, Ca
3 January 2004

After 30+ years, I don't think a better done or more accurate film has ever been done on the events leading up to and the attack on Pearl Harbor. One of the outstanding war films of all times. The special effects are still good even compared to today's technology.

A classic

Author: darkmax from Singapore
7 December 2003

This film is a definite classic. In many ways this is the superior version, compared to "Pearl Harbour". This one shows both sides of the story and the truth about war: the is no winner. only losers.

This movie not only gave credit to the Americans, but also the Japanese as well. Pearl Harbour, however, concentrated on the gung-ho and glory of USA. In my opinion Pearl Harbour seemed more like a propoganda than a good movie.

This film is more a documentary and is more accurately based than Pearl Harbour as well.

This is definitely one of my very favourites.

Hasn't yet been equaled

Author: Cactus-7 from Austin, Texas
11 November 2003

This film is the gold standard by which all Pearl Harbor films are measured. It is mostly accurate from a historical point of view and provides an excellent look at what was going on in both the Japanese and US governments in the weeks leading up to the attack. One of the most striking aviation scenes in film history appears in Tora, Tora, Tora. As night ends, the Japanese aircraft begin taking off from their carriers north of Hawaii. The planes rush down the flight deck in the dark with flaming exhaust erupting from pipes alongside their engines. They rise into a sky that is just becoming tinged with dawn. It is one of the most magnificent moments in the film, as it must have been on that morning so long ago. Like The Longest Day, this film uses many big name Japanese and American actors to help the audience keep the actual historical figures straight in their minds. Tora, Tora, Tora, is so well done, it could be shown to school kids (if they studied history anymore) because of its clear look at both sides of the attack. It's truly outstanding.

What happened to Robert McCall's artwork?

Author: Thomas Clement (Mr. OpEd) from Los Angeles
20 September 2003

20th Century Fox hired renowned illustrator, Robert McCall to do several promotional paintings for Tora Tora Tora. All of the film's posters featured his work and the very rare "making of" book that was sold in first-run theatres showed several of his exciting Tora Tora Tora paintings.

But when Fox released the DVD of TTT, all that appears on the box is a B-O-R-I-N-G photo of a plane taking off. What gives? It's not like Fox doesn't continue to use the original artwork from its other films (Bob Peak for Our Man Flint, for example).

And we're talking Robert McCall here. This guy did the artwork for not only TTT, but 2001 and Ice Station Zebra. He did tons of story work for Saturday Evening Post and an amazing amount of artwork for our armed forces and for NASA as well as books with Asimov. The guy's a genius.

But the dunderheads at Fox decided "Great art for a great film? Who needs it?" The art director who designed the TTT DVD should be taken out and forced to watch Manos, Hands of Fate 1,000 times.

I only hope AmericanArtArchives.com does a tribute page to Mr. McCall very soon.

The definitive Pearl Harbor movie . . .

Author: opuskv626 from Orlando, FL
7 July 2002

This movie is a unique and definitive account of Pearl Harbor. It is a collaborative effort between Japanese film makers and American ones; Therefore making it truthful on both sides of the coin.

What's better is that given this opportunity, neither team presented an idealistic or patriotic account. As viewers we are presented with the flaws and strengths of each faction.

I suppose some viewers would prefer to see the story told with valiant, prepared American commanders at the helm. But historically, it simply wasn't so. This movie exposes the flaws in our military defense at the time. It is an ugly, uncomfortable look at our nation, but it is commendable that the American film crew showed warts and all.

The Japanese crew also showed the struggle within the commanders of the attack.

Now, the acting talent varies widely in this film. The special effects, though amazing, would never compare to what we could produce today.... yet, this film still reigns as the definitive Pearl Harbor movie.