IMDb > Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Historically Excellent!

Author: pattersonsmith
10 June 2001

You will learn a lot about the attack of Pearl Harbor from this movie. I love that they tell the story from both sides, it helps give more insight. However, most of the acting is very poor. There are so many cameos and the actors really ham up there 30 seconds of screen time. Even with this serious flaw, it is well worth watching.

Watching PEARL HARBOR makes me appreciate this gem all the more!

Author: davidemartin (davidemartin@cs.com) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
26 May 2001

I cannot add any finer comments and praise than are already listed here. TORA! TORA! TORA! remains one of the finest examples of the docudrama format, a meticulous and exact retelling that could serve as a history class' supplemental material.

Would that the people behind PEARL HARBOR have been so careful. Watching my video of TTT, I marvelled at how well the film has stood up over 31 years. PH, on the other hand, will be an unwatchable embaresment next year.

No melodrama here.

Author: hifarers from Brunei
24 May 2001

Very detailed movie of the buildup to the attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941. The film does not take sides or wave the flag of either country. Instead it just tells a story of mistakes and opportunities. The movie conveys all the actions from the top brass to the lower ranks with ease. Another similar movie to this is "The Longest Day". One criticism is that the American actors seemed so staid compared to their Japanese counterparts.

An interesting historical movie with no melodrama attached.

Tora lover

Author: t sloan from Pennsylvania USA
6 May 2001

Tora Tora Tora was a wonderful, realistic docu-drama of Pearl Harbor. It is a long movie but gets more engrossing as each minute passes. A superb film that will not let you stop watching. As I saw the previews to Pearl Harbor (2001) I thought they were re-releasing Tora Tora Tora, as the scenes looked so similar.

historically authentic war film

Author: sswenson
24 August 2000

The events that led to the attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941. Film evenhandedly portrays the role of both Japanese and American figures before and during the battle. Extraordinary historical accuracy and detail, acting, script and special effects. (Rating: A)

The most brilliant

Author: (keyman@dlc.fi) from Helsinki, Finland
19 April 2000

This must be one of the most spectacular motion pictures ever made. It was historically accurate, as well as entertaining. Very well made, and not at all like Hollywood spectacles.

This simply is the best war movie ever made. And I am not ashamed to give it 10 points!

Brilliant!

Author: Ian Yu Loong Yeung (ian.yeung@trinity.oxford.ac.uk) from Oxford, England
30 January 1999

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant. I have to agree with previous comments in that the special effects were amazing and even more so for it being 1970. Casting and direction was also top notch and the attention to detail was astounding. Truly a sight to behold. One of the best films ever made....probably. An emphatic 10 out of 10.

An excellent dramatisation, but still quite onesided

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
21 December 2013

The thing that stands out in this movie is the half hour long battle of Pearl harbour. This movie is a historical recreation of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour and it is incredibly close to the actual events. It more of a documentary done in the way of a film. The thing is that there are quite a few issues which are of historical significance in this film and that are explored. They are the relationship between the United States and Japan, the US unwillingness to go to war, and the arrogance of the United States into believing that nobody would even consider attacking them, and finally how the people at the top did not realise the extent of the threat while the people at the bottom could inevitably see it coming.

The first time I saw this movie was in year 11 during Modern History. The thing that stuck out was the length of the attack on Pearl Harbour, and it was really cool. I remember this one sailor firing this huge machine gun at Japanese planes. Another scene is where a Japanese plane flies over a parade ground, and the reaction of the commander there is that it was some American fly-boy being funny - that is until it drops a bomb.

The issue behind the events were in regard to dominance of the Pacific Rim. The Japanese wanted to establish a Pacific Empire, but the problem was that America considered the Pacific Ocean to be theirs, and there was no room for the two super powers to share. The Japanese were feeling pressured by the Americans with their war in China, especially since they ceased trading with them forcing them to either push the Americans out of the picture or to move into South-East Asia. They chose the second option but the Americans reacted very badly to that so they decided that they needed to move on the Americans.

The thing that gets me is that throughout the movie we see the Americans as being the good guys and the Japanese as being the facists. What we do not see is the way that the Americans treated the Negroes, the Mexicans, or even the Indians. This was not a war of good against evil, but rather two superpowers fighting over something that they did not want to share. The Americans condemned Japan for its actions in China, yet no mention of the American's actions in their land against the Indians - first of all invading their territories and then displacing them into reserves and even assimilating them. The Negro issue regarding slavery had been sorted out, but they were still considered second class citizens. The American Secretary of Defense condemned the Japanese Ambassador for his nation's actions and made him look like a bad boy, but it is more like a bully forcing a weaker kid to admit that he is the bad person and that the bully is the good person. In my books, nobody is good or bad, but we are all as corrupt as everybody else.

The next issue I will address is the belief that America would not be attacked, which I will combine with the difference between the generals and the people at Pearl Harbour. Constantly we are shown how nobody expects Japan to attack. The first event is when the planes in the airbase are grouped togeather to prevent sabotague, yet wise commanders realise that this is bad because an attack could wipe them all out - which it did. Another incident is when the planes are spotted on Radar, but they are ignored because they must be American planes. Nobody was expecting that Japan would make such a bold move, though evidence pointed out that it would happen. The Americans had cracked their codes and were receiving all of the messages. They knew that a fleet had moved out but did not act on it. They had even sunk a submarine just outside of Pearl Harbour, but considered it to be nothing, especially since there was no hard evidence. This couples with the unwillingness of the US to go to war that they would rather ignore the signs in hope that they would not be dragged into a bloody conflict.

The one thing that slightly irritated me is that President Roosevelt is never shown (though neither is the Japanese Emperor). It is as if the president is some sort of god symbol who cannot be portrayed on screen. It is probably not that, but that they did not want to go to the effort of trying to find somebody who looks like Roosevelt. It also gives the impression of the generals running the show and that the president simply says yes or no on the really important decisions, but only receives the information that the general wants them to know.

This is a good movie. It is historically accurate and as such is a great movie to watch to try and understand the events leading up to Pearl Harbour. It is decidedly pro-American but that is what one should expect when approaching an American movie.

A blockbuster built around facts. They sure don't make 'em like these anymore.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
10 February 2007

My Take: An accurate and honest account of the "Day of Infamy" appropriately-told on both sides of the story.

Here's something they don't make anymore: A big-budget blockbuster built around built around facts. Although mostly memorable for its enthralling recreation of the December 7th attack, TORA! TORA! TORA! is also the first feature that recreates the events which led to "the date which will live infamy", shown on both American and Japanese perspectives.

The cast is great, but is mostly overshadowed by the realistic attack sequence. It may be one of those films that the special-effects are more powerful than the story. There's really not much of a real story as it simply retells the events. The performances by Martin Balsam, Jason Robards Jr., Joseph Cotten, Soh Yamamura, James Whitmore and E.G.Marshall are somewhat wasted to simply nobody roles of military officers. The score by Jerry Goldsmith is terrific. And so is the direction by Richard Fleischer, and two other Japanese directors. The film drags a bit due to a lot of explanation of the events, but when it comes to the really exciting and compelling moments, it portrays the scenes with wonderful creativity. Flawed, but somewhat entertaining.

Rating: **** out of 5.

War in its entire brutality

Author: Emerenciano from Campina Grande, Brazil
18 January 2004

There are many good and brutal films about wars, specially about the terrible WWII, but few are as real and breath-taking as "Tora! Tora! Tora". First, the name of the film (WWII Japanese code for "attack")shows a lot of what is to come. The battle scenes are amazingly well done and sometimes we feel like we were watching a documentary or something like it. I would certainly recommend your total attention to the air battle scenes. But "Tora! Tora! Tora!" is not battles only. Actually it takes something like 95 minutes for the battles parts to start. Before this, we have all those heavy moments that came before the first bullet was shot. The story takes us from Japanese to American lands in order to show the two faces of the coin. I'm sure it's just a personal opinion, but "Tora! Tora! Tora!" shows a kind of preoccupation of not attacking American or Japanese government, but in showing what really happened back in the early 40's.

My rate 10/10