IMDb > Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Tora lover

Author: t sloan from Pennsylvania USA
6 May 2001

Tora Tora Tora was a wonderful, realistic docu-drama of Pearl Harbor. It is a long movie but gets more engrossing as each minute passes. A superb film that will not let you stop watching. As I saw the previews to Pearl Harbor (2001) I thought they were re-releasing Tora Tora Tora, as the scenes looked so similar.

historically authentic war film

Author: sswenson
24 August 2000

The events that led to the attack on Pearl Harbour in 1941. Film evenhandedly portrays the role of both Japanese and American figures before and during the battle. Extraordinary historical accuracy and detail, acting, script and special effects. (Rating: A)

The most brilliant

Author: (keyman@dlc.fi) from Helsinki, Finland
19 April 2000

This must be one of the most spectacular motion pictures ever made. It was historically accurate, as well as entertaining. Very well made, and not at all like Hollywood spectacles.

This simply is the best war movie ever made. And I am not ashamed to give it 10 points!

Brilliant!

Author: Ian Yu Loong Yeung (ian.yeung@trinity.oxford.ac.uk) from Oxford, England
30 January 1999

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant. I have to agree with previous comments in that the special effects were amazing and even more so for it being 1970. Casting and direction was also top notch and the attention to detail was astounding. Truly a sight to behold. One of the best films ever made....probably. An emphatic 10 out of 10.

A blockbuster built around facts. They sure don't make 'em like these anymore.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
10 February 2007

My Take: An accurate and honest account of the "Day of Infamy" appropriately-told on both sides of the story.

Here's something they don't make anymore: A big-budget blockbuster built around built around facts. Although mostly memorable for its enthralling recreation of the December 7th attack, TORA! TORA! TORA! is also the first feature that recreates the events which led to "the date which will live infamy", shown on both American and Japanese perspectives.

The cast is great, but is mostly overshadowed by the realistic attack sequence. It may be one of those films that the special-effects are more powerful than the story. There's really not much of a real story as it simply retells the events. The performances by Martin Balsam, Jason Robards Jr., Joseph Cotten, Soh Yamamura, James Whitmore and E.G.Marshall are somewhat wasted to simply nobody roles of military officers. The score by Jerry Goldsmith is terrific. And so is the direction by Richard Fleischer, and two other Japanese directors. The film drags a bit due to a lot of explanation of the events, but when it comes to the really exciting and compelling moments, it portrays the scenes with wonderful creativity. Flawed, but somewhat entertaining.

Rating: **** out of 5.

War in its entire brutality

Author: Emerenciano from Campina Grande, Brazil
18 January 2004

There are many good and brutal films about wars, specially about the terrible WWII, but few are as real and breath-taking as "Tora! Tora! Tora". First, the name of the film (WWII Japanese code for "attack")shows a lot of what is to come. The battle scenes are amazingly well done and sometimes we feel like we were watching a documentary or something like it. I would certainly recommend your total attention to the air battle scenes. But "Tora! Tora! Tora!" is not battles only. Actually it takes something like 95 minutes for the battles parts to start. Before this, we have all those heavy moments that came before the first bullet was shot. The story takes us from Japanese to American lands in order to show the two faces of the coin. I'm sure it's just a personal opinion, but "Tora! Tora! Tora!" shows a kind of preoccupation of not attacking American or Japanese government, but in showing what really happened back in the early 40's.

My rate 10/10

Documentary-Like Movie About December 7, 1941

Author: smithy-8 from New Jersey
28 October 2003

"Tora! Tora! Tora!" is a good account of the Pearl Harbor attack on December 7, 1941. Hiring terrific actors and not stars makes it a better movie. It is great to see recognizable faces on the screen get their chance to portray these important people (big and small) of American history. The movie runs like a documentary.

The only criticism I have are the clothes and the hairdos of the women actors; they look like they are living in 1970 not 1941. Everything else looks original, for instance, the men's appearances and the vehicles. Why did the producers spend so much money getting authentic 1940's vehicles and forget all about the women's appearances? The women's appearances were a bad distraction from the story. The movie did not deserve to be nominated for an Academy Award for best picture because of this error; however, the story is well told.

A Good Film

Author: thomasja5 from Lakewood, California
24 August 2003

I saw this movie when it first appeared on the big screen in 1970. I also happened to see part of the movie being made as I was in the Navy at the time and served aboard the USS Finch (DER-328) which played the part of the USS Ward (DD-139); the destroyer which fired upon and sank the midget submarine before the attack.

As with all movies that are made from true events, this movie had its share of errors. For example, the movie showed the battleship California being abandoned before the Arizona had blown up. In actuality, the California wasn't abandoned until around 9:00 a.m. which was well after the Arizona had blown up (it was the burning oil from the Arizona which forced the evacuation of the California). Also, the movie showed the bomb which destroyed the Arizona crashing into its stern, when in reality, it forward. Another error, was when the acting captain of the USS Nevada said he would beach the ship "over there". In reality, it was Adm. Furlong who ordered him to stay clear of the channel for fear of the ship sinking and bottling up the fleet. One more error appeared toward the beginning of the movie when Adm. James Richardson was telling Adm. Kimmel in an Amphibian seaplane that he felt uneasy about the fleet being at Pearl Harbor, citing what happened at Taranto and was then relieved by President Roosevelt. Actually, Richardson was more concerned with having to supply the fleet with supplies stretching back 3,000 miles than he was with the possibility of an attack.

I felt that the American director didn't do that good of a job in certain scenes as the acting seemed amateurish, but overall, it was a good movie. I just wish that the technology we have today was available back in 1969 when this movie was being filmed.

History comes alive

Author: Barry Goodsmith from West Orange, NJ
19 January 2003

I knew the Japanese use diplomatic deception and military stealth to attack Pearl Harbor, but I had no idea how badly our intelligence screwed up. We intercepted communiques between Japan and her ships, but made mistakes translating. An Army general (Jason Robards) grouped his planes together so that if one was attacked, a chain reaction would destroy the entire fleet. We had senior officers who ignored warnings of the impending attacks. In one scene, a lieutenant barks at his captain, "You want confirmation, Captain? Take a look. There's your confirmation!"

I also learned that many senior officers in the Japanese Navy lamented bringing the US into the war. Many thought that they attacked Pearl Harbor, they would have to attack San Francisco, cross the mainland, and eventually hit Washington.

This is a particularly long movie. It's almost two-and-a-half hours, and drags on in spots. But the battle scenes are very well directed, and the special effects were surprisingly good for 1970. And the fact that the story is told from both the Japanese and American points of view make the history come alive. (Be prepared to do a little reading. At least a third of the dialogue is in Japanese.)

Don't waste your time and money with Disney's version of "Pearl Harbor." If you want to know what really happened on the morning of December 7, 1941, rent "Tora! Tora! Tora!" It may be hard to find, but it's worth the effort.

Note on the title: "Tora! Tora! Tora!" was the Japanese code to commence the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Ratings note: "Tora! Tora! Tora!" was originally rated G, but by today's standards, it would probably be PG or PG13 for bloodless war violence.

Don't watch "Pearl Harbor", watch this instead

Author: Sun Tzu from Calgary, Canada
13 August 2001

This is probably the best historically accurate movie about the attack on Pearl Harbor there is. There's no BS love plot, no uninteresting character development that has so plagued the recent Hollywood release. Everything about this movie is accurately based on events in history, but that doesn't make this a boring movie. The events that are shown prior to the attack is very well done, and keeps the audience interested in what was going on on both sides. The attack itself was the most enjoyable part of the film. Gone are the fake looking destroyer turrets and historically flawed aircraft (which are fake CGI crap BTW) paint schemes in "Pearl Harbor". All ships and planes used in TTT are authentic.

Do yourself a favor folks and watch this film.

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]