IMDb > There's a Girl in My Soup (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

There's a Girl in My Soup More at IMDbPro »

BRILLIANT SWINGING SIXTIES BRITISH COMEDY

Author: joe88 from London, England
4 August 2003

Not sure why it doesn't play in Peoria, apparently, but this is a very funny, clever British comedy. It's set at the end of the "swinging sixties". Peter Sellars is fantastic as the rich, forty-something serial womaniser. The perfectly delectable Goldie Hawn, playing a 19 year American girl in London, is, initially, Sellars' "catch of the day". But the urbane TV food critic can't stop himself from falling for the dizzy American blond.

Humour, pathos, great script, strong performances from the leads and supporting caste.

It's a great film, and the best gag is the very last line.

Try it, you'll like it.

A gem of a first hour, a mistaken shambles of a last half-hour.

Author: Ben Parker (ben.cheshire@optusnet.com.au) from Australia
8 July 2004

"My GOD but you're lovely."

This is surely one of Sellers' most memorable characters. This guy HAS to have been a major influence on Austin Powers: he's an aging playboy, with hairy back and bad teeth, who never imagines that he's anything but irresistible to women. Goldie Hawn is the woman who won't give him what he wants when he wants it.

The first hour is pure gold, some of the greatest comedy i've ever seen. Then it strangely begins to meander. Really badly. With the extended wine tasting journey, involving many pointless shots of Frenchmen drinking wine at what seems like a real wine tasting ceremony, and later on the pointless shots of scenery, very out of place in this story. I was thinking what terrific characters they were, and what a terrific comedy set-up we had here - but at the point where it starts to wonder, you realise that they'd only thought up these funny characters - but hadn't got as far as what to do with them. Thus, they also had no idea what the resolution, if any, should be.

They seem to have figured that everything would work itself out once they started shooting - well, it didn't. The last half-hour is an absolute mess. I would have enjoyed it much more as a 60 minute movie, thankyou very much.

As it is, we have a clumsy "resolution" scene that needed about seven re-writes, and a rather meandering, almost unnecessary last half-hour, peppered with a few good scenes (Sellers carrying Hawn over his shoulder in the lift), which unfortunately spoils what might have been one of the funniest movies i've ever seen.

6/10. The first hour is an absolute gem - i'd still recommend you see it for that.

*** out of **** (barely)

Author: johnnybravo19852000 (johnnybravo19852000@yahoo.com.sg) from Portland OR
14 July 2004

Being a HUGE fan of the late great (etc. etc.) Peter Sellers I was really looking forward to There's A Girl In My Soup.

Well............the premise started off strong with Seller as the ladies man who knows what women want to hear and what they need to hear and virtually every female (young and old) simply can't say no to. Considering the age of the movie (34 years and counting and the gratuitous nudity may surprise you) it brought back the free spirit of the 60s'. No condoms, aids, and marijuana was probably considered part of the recommended daily allowance.

While on the way to a party Danver meets a young lady (Goldie Hawn) who has just caught her good for nothing boyfriend in lip lock with another female. Since Ted Bundy was only a boy in 1970 she accepts the invitation to Danver's apartment and the most brilliant dialogue between the two is enjoyed for the next 20 minutes.

Thats when Danver begins to realize that women are not sex objects, but breathing living human beings with emotions. Hawn does spend the night but Sellers chooses to sleep on the couch.

Eventually a healthy relationship happens but despite the two good actors (well, one being the best of the best-Peter Sellers) the chemistry between Danver and Marion is weak. (Hawn had the same problem with Mel Gibson in Bird On A Wire). Goldie has a look on her face like she is kissing her dad and Peter isn't able to hide his boredom either.

When they return from a fabulous vacation in France, Danver finds out to his horror that the tabloids have printed that he and Marion were secretly married and chaos begins.

Thats when screen writer Terence Frisby makes chaos. The terrific conversation that was enjoyed when Hawn and Sellers first met is now followed by two people that are no longer individuals we care about. Hawn in particular now dives into the stereo type dumb blonde (and in an especially unfunny scene when she embarrasses Peter at a wine tasting test but Sellers sharp wit saves the day with a hilarious liner in the elevator on the way back to his apartment) and eventually you just want her to go away. And the ending? I still had both eyebrows raised after the ending credits started to roll.

Recognizing my review as a prejudice approach, I recommend this movie to myself and only true Peter Seller fans. But even they should be warned: this not a Seller's movie in top form.

Gratuitous Nude Scene For Goldie... This Must Be The '70s!

Author: hokeybutt from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
21 December 2005

THERE'S A GIRL IN MY SOUP (3 outta 5 stars) This movie has always had a bad reputation and I could never figure out why. Sure, Peter Sellers has been in much better movies than this... but he's been in lots worse, too. He plays the smarmy, self-absorbed star of a TV gourmet show who enjoys the swinging bachelor life, even as he hits his mid-40s. He meets up with Goldie Hawn, a hip, sexually-liberated young gal of less-than-20 and the sparks, as they say, fly. There are some really funny lines but a lot of missed comedic opportunities as well. To this day I still wonder why there is no big payoff to the wine-tasting scene... after all the time spent trying to teach Goldie that one is supposed to "spit" and not "swallow" I wonder why she doesn't wind up spitting up during a fancy dinner scene. This may not be one of Sellers' best but Goldie Hawn does a fine job... breaking free of the one-dimensional blonde ditz character that she was known for at the time. (She even gets a totally gratuitous nude scene... wow, this must be the '70s!)

I loved this movie

Author: Jessica (jiaozi) from Atlanta, United States
24 January 2003

I ran across this movie on the tv and could not turn it off. Peter Sellers plays an unlikable fellow who falls for an extremely warm and cute Goldie Hawn (who wouldn't?). The way that Goldie's character holds herself from the beginning of the movie to the end is untraditional even today. This movie gave me a different angle into human relations and also I found it very funny. Peter Sellers role was a difficult sell, but I think he pulls it off well.

Swinging English comedy... with flaws

Author: djensen1 from northern Indiana
15 October 2005

Dork that he was in real life, Peter Sellers plays the dork's idea of a English ladies man, a swinging bachelor just over 40 but using his money and notoriety as a TV food critic(!) to make time with beautiful girls. Against Goldi Hawn's 19-year-old, free-loving, introspective mod girl, he's just enough of a square to make him believable as well as pathetic.

After establishing his charm with a couple of lovelies, Sellers meets his match in Hawn, who turns out to like him for who he is (being American, she has no idea who he is). He rescues her from a juvenile relationship with a mod drummer, and they're off.

There are some great scenes between them as they work out their attraction with uncomfortable analysis. After some missteps over the attempted initial seduction and a wine-tasting trip to France, they settle into a charming relationship. But the news media misinterprets their getaway as a honeymoon, causing a bit of friction when they return to England, but it seems flat. The movie falls apart when Hawn's character makes an improbable decision (she seems to be kidding), but Sellers nearly saves it with a sympathetic performance.

The nonsensical ending and occasional out-of-place moments thruout make this one good but not great, provided you're interested in the late 60s-early 70s era.

Flawed but worth watching

Author: Marco Trevisiol from Melbourne, Australia
30 September 2008

'There's a Girl in My Soup' has a rather negative reputation and is considered symptomatic of the slump star Peter Sellers was in from 1968-1974. However, while a flawed film to be sure overall I think it's better and more substantial than its reputation.

The opening wedding segment is particularly enjoyable and interesting; not only does it have several amusing moments but there's a short but significant montage where we see snippets of dialogue from the upper-class types at the party. They're full of bigotry, smugness and complacency and central character Robert Danvers (Peter Sellers) is clearly repelled by them.

But this presents quite a contradiction for him, as his success as a TV food expert has made him part of this milieu - indeed in the public's eyes the personification of it. And this celebrity and wealth that it has brought has doubtlessly helped him seduce many women.

And it's the chance meeting with Marion (Goldie Hawn) that brings out this contradiction in the open, as he desires her and her hedonistic youthful lifestyle but he's of the wrong generation and class to be a part of it. There's a long scene between Hawn and Sellers where is brought out into the open and while it isn't very funny, it's surprisingly engrossing and enjoyable to watch.

When you add in these elements and the funny banter from supporting players John Comer and Diana Dors as an abrasive married pair, the first half or so is most enjoyable.

Alas, the film largely throws away its potential in the second half, especially with a dreary section in France, and the film never recovers as the laughs dry up. Even more disappointing is the treatment of Marion's character as she goes from being quite perceptive (and cynical) in her opening conversation with Danvers, to being an insubstantial airhead; perhaps because that's the only way her choice in the final scene would make any sense.

Overall a bit of a wasted opportunity but provides a fair bit of entertainment in the first half and Peter Sellers is always worth watching.

Also, the song over the credits is very catchy!

A satire of Sellers

Author: sandra small (sandi_small@muchomail.com) from gateshead, tyne and wear, england, uk
1 October 2006

In many respects Peter Sellers is satirising himself in There's A Girl In My Soup, by playing this role of an ageing Lothario in the public eye. As such, Sellers gives a first rate performance as would be expected from the great man. Deep down Seller's character in the film was a lonely, insecure celebrity with low self-esteem, who depended on the adulation of women, and his fans like a life support system. In this sense Seller's was portraying the tears of a clown via this characterisation of himself.

And while Sellers has charisma in this role, the film lacks it in the comedic genre it's supposed to be. There's allot more that I expected from Hawn, while the director could have made more of situations.

In some respects, it could be said that the restaurant scene in the film Pretty Woman (1990) is an extrapolation of that in There's A Girl In My Soup, where Seller's character takes Hawn's wine tasting, when she appears to know nothing about the etiquette of the rituals involved in it. The director could have exaggerated Hawn's character's clumsiness in this scene, like Julia Robert's when eating her meal in the restaurant scene in Pretty Woman.

Overall, a bit flat, but worth watching for Seller's alone.

"By God, but you're lovely!"

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
12 May 2011

I'm very fond of this film. For one thing, I'm in the same profession as 'Robert Danvers' ( the Peter Sellers character ), only I do not have a television show! It is also very funny, bounces along with nice Mike D'abo pop songs, and Goldie Hawn gets to show off her bum! But I digress. This 1970 Roy Boulting-directed comedy was based on the stage play by Terence Frisby and gave Sellers his biggest hit in years, also launching the lovely Goldie on a career that ultimately spanned three decades. 'Danvers' is a handsome television chef adored by millions, especially women ( in the first twenty minutes he beds both Nicola Pagett and Gabrielle Drake - though not at the same time! ) ), a cross between Robert Carrier and Warren Beatty, the sort of man whose after shave enters a room twenty minutes before he does. En route to a party, he meets 'Marion' ( Hawn ), a kooky ( film critic Barry Norman once claimed Hawn reminded him of a 'very sexy budgerigar'. I'm sure he meant it in the nicest possible way ) young American on the rebound from a failed relationship with scruffy pop group drummer Jimmy ( Nicky Henson ). Danvers takes Marion to his flat, a virtual seduction parlour fitted out with the latest kinky gadgets. But she has heard his chat-up lines before and proceeds to take the wind out of his sails. Danvers retreats to bed, all thoughts of sex forgotten. Over time their relationship blossoms. Despite the differences in their ages, they click. But fate rears its ugly head to break the happy couple apart...

Whilst nowhere near as funny as say, Neil Simon's 'The Odd Couple', this is nevertheless enjoyably rude fun ( even if the wine tasting scene is remarkably similar to the one in 'Carry On Regardless' ). Sellers apparently based 'Danvers' on the late Lord Patrick Lichfield, photographer and ladies man. He brings a regal dignity to the character, while Hawn is a more than fine foil for him. The supporting cast includes Tony Britton, Diana Dors, John Comer, and Francoise Pascal ( of 'Mind Your Language' ).

I note that some have taken offence at the spectacle of a young woman cavorting with a middle-aged man. It might surprise these same people to know that us older guys still enjoy sex as much as we did when we were in our teens. The only difference is that these days it takes us longer. But we manage.

What lets the movie down a bit is the unbelievable ending. Despite his wealth, Danvers is dumped by Marion for Jimmy. "He needs me, you don't!", is her reasoning. He also needs a good bath and a dose of penicillin, you foolish girl. Still, they say love is blind.

This 'Soup' manages to be nice and tasty ( and gave 'The Incredible Hulk' his first big-screen appearance! He's on a poster in Jimmy's flat, in case you're wondering ). Shame that Sellers and Hawn did not work together again.

There's a time capsule in my DVD player!

Author: Poseidon-3 from Cincinnati, OH
29 January 2007

Guaranteed not to float all the way to the top of Sellers' oeuvre, this middling sex comedy isn't fully cooked, but has a few bright spots. Here the legendary physical and oddball-character comedian portrays a vain, self-assured ladies' man who wishes to (and typically does) bed down with virtually any attractive young lady who comes his way. A known scoundrel, he's the type who can score more than once at a single wedding. One day, into his life comes Hawn, a kooky, alternately giggly and pouty blonde who tests his ability to woo to the extreme. She's ready to end the latest in a string of bad relationships, but doesn't make it very easy for Sellers to simply pick up the baton and run with it. Eventually, they form an unusual but seemingly pleasant relationship. However, that is severely questioned once her prior boyfriend (Henson) makes it known that he'd like her back. The film is filled to the brim with audacious furnishings and clothes of the era (though Hawn stays in one costume for nearly an hour!), not to mention the sometimes amusing teeth of the supporting actors, making it clear why jokes about British dental hygiene have cropped up over the years. Sellers has some amusing little moments within his performance and he does commit to the character, but too often he's given really lame and/or obvious pratfalls with which to work. He and Hawn make an unusual couple, but they do come close to selling it realistically. Hawn actually gets a fairly considerable showcase here in a role not dissimilar from the one she later played in "Butterflies Are Free". She wavers effectively from comedy to pathos, with her excellent sense of timing in place. (She also has a fleeting, partially-obscured nude scene for those interested.) Henson does as much as can be done with his pat character, though Britton lends some nice support as Sellers' business associate. Other notables in the cast include sexy Pagett, as one of Sellers' conquests and a blink-and-miss-it turn from Casenove as one of Henson's Hedonistic friends. Former screen goddess Dors appears as a chunky, slovenly landlady who, along with her husband Comer, is continually bemused by Sellers' active love life. There's nothing life-changing about this film, based on a West End play, but it's a pleasant enough way to pass an hour and a half and features some nice French scenery. Fans of the stars should at least check it out, particularly fans of Hawn. The film captures a moment in time, just beyond the sexual liberation of the 60's, thanks to the birth control pill, yet prior to the bigger excesses of the 70's.