IMDb > Django Defies Sartana (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Django Defies Sartana More at IMDbPro »Django sfida Sartana (original title)

A Tin of Spaghetti Hoops Western

Author: junk-monkey (liam@merriol.freeserve.co.uk) from Highlands of Scotland
19 August 2007

First up I'm no great connoisseur of Spaghetti westerns, preferring instead the unintentional hilarity and weirdness of Italian Science Fiction and Horror movies but, from time to time, I settle back to wallow in the operatic lunacy that a good spaghetti western has to offer.

This is not a good Spaghetti western.

A good spaghetti western is weird, hard, brutal and at the same time stylishly, overblown and decadent - in a word 'operatic'. This is not an operatic movie. It is choppy and incoherent. All the ingredients are there but so badly mixed, and slopped about with little regard to any continuity (never a strong point in Italian cinema to start with) it is hard to understand what is going on at times. How for instance did the two Mexican(ish) guys fighting with knives in the final sequence get from the top of the building to the grassy ground outside? And it was only after the movie had finished that I realised that our bad girl was supposed to have been trampled by the horses in the stables. I had no idea what was going on. She just falls over and screams and thrashes about for no apparent reason - watch out for good girl's "acting" when she sees the body. It is a classic piece of "hold the side of your head and scream" direction. I suspect they glued headphones onto her under all that hair and played crap music at her to get her to hold her head like that.

Most of the screen time seems to consist of shots of utmost pointlessness that are pale copies of people like Sergio Leone. When Leone held a shot forever you watched it. It was important. It heightened the action. Increased the tension. whatever the situation, it did it's job. It was significant. In this movie it is easy to get the impression that the sustained shots are there merely to pad out the movie to an acceptable length.