IMDb > Bigfoot (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bigfoot More at IMDbPro »

Bikers and babes and...er...Bigfoot

Author: rosscinema from United States
7 March 2005

This ultra cheap flick is hard to resist since it obviously doesn't take itself seriously so why hate it because it's low budget? Bored? Well, okay you probably have me there but lovers of bad films will undoubtedly find a place in their collection for this silly effort. Story takes place somewhere in the forest where we see a biker gang head through a small town before embarking on a hiking trip but Rick (Christopher Mitchum) and his girl Chris (Judy Jordan) venture off by themselves for some necking. They come across a burial ground and find a hairy creature buried in one of the plots and then suddenly are attacked themselves where Rick is knocked unconscious and Chris is carried off.

*****SPOILER ALERT***** Rick wakes up and heads to the nearest town to try and find help but the local police don't believe him and it takes two traveling salesmen who say they are interested in lending a hand. Jasper B. Hawks (John Carradine) and Elmer Briggs (John Mitchum) believe his story and think that if they can capture one of the sasquatch's then they will be rich. The creatures have Chris tied to a stake along with another pretty woman named Joi Landis (Joi Lansing) and they figure out that Bigfoot wants to mount them and get them pregnant because a smaller and more human looking creature (Jerry Maren) keeps sniffing about. Joi is taken up the hill as a prize for the biggest Bigfoot (James Stellar) so that he can mount her but Chris, Jasper, Elmer, and the biker gang will soon be there to help.

This film is written and directed by Robert Slatzer who had directed a couple of biker flicks before but the budget for this film is so small that he couldn't even get any cool looking motorcycles. It's easy to pick out the silliness here and I'll start with Carradine's character who recites famous lines from other films like "Go away kid, you bother me", "It was beauty did him in" and ultimately "Beauty and the Beast" as he looks up and down at the beautiful Lansing. I also couldn't help but notice that Bigfoot knows how to tie knots! Who else tied the women up to those stakes? Lansing is a pilot but after parachuting out she takes her suit off and is wearing almost nothing and Jordan who is in the forest (nowhere near any beach) is supposed to be on a hiking trip but is wearing a bikini. How convenient for viewers! Chris Mitchum gets into a fistfight with one of the creatures and it turns out that the sasquatch can fight better than most heavyweight contenders. The local police are totally inept and when the sheriff learns that a girl has disappeared he spouts "Go on home and go to bed" while his deputy in the background is polishing the barrel of a gun like it's a gay phallic symbol. The biker gang in this film has to be the dullest bunch of wimps I have ever seen as they wear nice looking and ironed clothes. Their hair is neatly trimmed and when Mitchum is about to head into the woods with sexy Jordan he's warned to play nice! This gang is so timid and boring that a bunch of insurance salesmen at a convention would be more wild than these boy scouts. The motorcycles they ride are nothing more than medium sized Yamaha's whom I think helped sponsor this film in some way. The highlight of the film aside from gawking at Jordan in her bikini is watching the beautiful and busty barefoot Lansing who when not tied to a stake is either in the clutches of Bigfoot or running around the woods trying to escape. She appears to always be on the verge of falling out of her skimpy outfit but alas, it never happens although there are several eye popping shots of her considerable cleavage. Lansing was a popular "B" movie starlet who unfortunately would die of cancer less than two years later before this film was ever released and she was stunning to look at. Both John and Christopher Mitchum are related not only to each other but to the great Robert Mitchum and along with them a few other familiar faces pop up like cowboy star Ken Maynard who has a poster of one of his old films behind him in the store. Besides Carradine the cast has Jerry Maren (Cousin Itt), Haji (Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!), and character actor Doodles Weaver as the forest ranger. I've always found low budget efforts like this fascinating to view and along with the bad furry suits and horrible sound stage forest settings it's still a film that knows what it is and clearly doesn't take itself seriously.

"The Greatest Monster Since KING KONG"

Author: saraphin from Vancouver, BC
13 October 1998

Well, that was the quote on my video box by someone from THE POST. So, judging by that rather anonymous endorsement, I knew I was in for a real treat. Not to mention the box artwork, which features a large, vaguely ape-like creature tossing a motorcycle (yay! a hybrid biker/monster flick!) Toss in John Carradine, and the blurb "America's abominable snowman... breeds with anything!", and you've got yourself an epoch du frommage. The uncomfortably long (and silent) travelling scenes, the paper mache sets, the unbelievably bad bigfoot makeup(or shall I say BigFEET?), the dinner-theatre-style acting, wonderfully inane script - all a testiment to the ultra-low budget that this "classic" drive-in flick flaunts in spades. Demands repeated viewings.

Hillbillies, bikers, and crap! Oh my!

Author: jaywolfenstien from USA
18 June 2007

There's a vastly superior movie out there called The Ninth Configuration, written and directed by William Peter Blatty. In that movie about an insane asylum dwells a character named Frankie Reno who feels compelled to do an all dog production of Shakespeare. Now, should Frankie ever film the fruits of his labor, I'm convinced it would yield a better movie than Bigfoot.

We're talking about a film whose production appears to consists of "whatever can fit in the back of a pickup truck" filmed at what I'm assuming was a breakneck pace to get a product in the can and distributed to America's drive-in theaters (maybe 'drive-thru' is a more appropriate term.) What I'm trying to say is, I hope minimal time and resources were dedicated to this movie because the technical merits are so abysmal that the clearly deteriorating print from which the incorrectly framed DVD was made may actually be an improvement to the original projection over 30 years ago. I wish I were exaggerating.

Seriously, it defeats the purpose of a serious critical analysis (want proof, check out the cheesy DVD cover art). Instead, dear reader, I present the "fun" aspect of Bigfoot.

I enjoyed how Joi Lansing piloted a plane that, not surprisingly, crashes … but not before a leisurely conversation with air traffic control while grips stand outside the obviously grounded plane and shake it back and forth to simulate mid-air turbulence. I giggled with condescending glee seeing this pilot parachute out, descend, and then cut to her on the ground wrapping up her chute (my guess is the budget couldn't afford the ladder to simulate a landing.)

Let's not forget the masterful camera-work of the motorcycle gang riding through the woods – shots designed to instill an uneasy, slightly nauseating sensation, by vigorously shaking the frame as if … as if … the cameraman was sitting in the bed of a truck that had no shocks! And there's a brilliant moment in the "party" montage where it looked like someone dropped the camera.

What brilliant economical editing too! Why show the plane taking off? Crashing? Or Joi landing? And the quick cuts showing the editorial equivalent of nothing to show the plane going down (I guess).

Oh, and when Bigfoot's henchmen (littlefoots?) kidnap the pilot and the bikini-clad girl (what's her name?) – these two women are tied to barely visible saplings, so their surprisingly calm conversation comes across as two high-school broads hanging around the cafeteria gossiping. "So, which of the furry guys who kidnapped us do you think is the cutest?" Wait, it gets better, the bikini clad-babe (maybe it was the pilot in her … whatever the hell that outfit's supposed to be) gives us a quasi-scientific run down of what these creatures are.

A little bit later, glorified monkeys checkmate the rescue party in a battle of wits, the rescue party is tied to saplings next to the girls where they all uncannily resemble disgruntled company lay-offs waiting in line at a soup kitchen.

How 'bout John Carradine's car which the hare could outrun even if the tortoise gave him cement shoes and broke his legs. What am I saying? The tortoise could take an ice-pick to the hare, push the corpse down a hill and the dead body could outrun that car (not to mention require less maintenance to keep running.) Speaking of John Carradine, I hope you like ham and cheese with your turkey.

And I learned a very valuable lesson from Bigfoot: contrary to popular myth, dynamite does not actually require a fuse. It only requires a moron to throw it and boom!

I have a theory that films like Bigfoot are made as a self-help tool to make suicidal filmmakers feel better about their work. Even the most talentless hacks can watch it with the comfort of knowing, "well, I can do better than that. Maybe life is worth living."

Bigfoot(1970): This was punishment

Author: Charles W Jansen II (quickdog) from Naples Florida
28 August 2002

My dad had a pair of Cinemacanica 35mm projectors and he bought this film. If he paid more than a nickel for it he was over charged. Then again, this movie was so bad that he decreed that if my brothers or myself acted out of line, then the perpetrator would be sentenced to watch this film.

Needless to say I watched this film many times and my father wore out the print. Maybe he did get his money's worth out of it. Heck! I bet my dad would gladly have paid a thousand dollars for this as much as he made me watch it.

By the way, this movie caused terrible trauma for me. I've never been able to watch another movie with Christopher Mitchum. He has to be the worst actor of all time.

Hilariously awful

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
10 October 2010

If you list John Carradine's films in order of IMDb rating, Bigfoot ranks second to last. This is a guy who starred in films titled Hillbillys in a Haunted House, Billy the Kid vs. Dracula, Vampire Hookers, Satan's Cheerleaders and Sex Kittens Go to College, among many, many others. A gaggle of sasquatches are out looking for women to mate with in this extremely low budget flick that looks like it was filmed on spare sets from Hee Haw. John Carradine is the biggest star, but you also have big breasted Joi Lansing and two kids of famous Hollywood actors, Chris Mitchum and Lindsay Crosby. Robert Mitchum's brother, John, is also in it. Oh, and Jerry Marren, aka the green-shirted Munchkin from the Lollipop Guild (as well as, I believe, the only Munchkin who survives to this day) dons the costume of the child bigfoot. Anyway, a biker chick and a downed female pilot get captured by bigfeet, and Carradine and his bud John Mitchum join the gang, hoping to make money by capturing a live bigfoot. This is really cruddy, and pretty boring. It's rated at a dismal 1.4 on IMDb. I laughed at it enough, and it's short enough, where I'll rate it a tad higher. After all, the awesome poster of this film has decorated my wall for a few years ago (with the tagline "breeds with anything..."). This was the first time I ever watched an entire film on Youtube. That's certainly not preferable (a drive-in would be ideal), but it was the only way to see it.

Big bore is more like it

28 November 2006

This so-dumb-it's-numbing Sasquatch cinema stinker holds the dubious honor of being possibly the first-ever American movie made about the legendary Bigfoot. Alas, it's also one of the worst-ever movies ever made about Bigfoot.

A small tribe of Sasquatchs -- one giant bad male, three babbling females, and a homely, noisy "whattheheckisit?"-type hybrid baby critter -- abduct luscious young human babes for unsavory procreative purposes. Everybody involved with this putrid turkey comes out stinking worse than filthy old socks. Bouncy, buxom blonde bombshell Joi Lansing, clad only in a skimpy pink nightie, runs shrieking through the woods with a grunting, lecherous Bigfoot in hot pursuit. Robert Mitchum's no-talent son Chris, trying to look tough with his scruffy beard and bandanna, makes for a pitifully unconvincing biker hero. John Carradine, sporting a hideously overdone Southern drawl and a juicy hamminess that could be made into a dozen cans of Spam, gives an unbearably unrestrained performance as traveling salesman Jasper B. Hawke, who wants to nab himself a Bigfoot so he can make a bundle exploiting the beast to the ninth degree. Robert Mitchum's no-talent brother John grates on the nerves with his insufferably whiny turn as Carradine's sniveling partner. Former cowboy movie star Ken Maynard came out of retirement to do a useless bit as an elderly shopkeeper. Comic actor Doodles Weaver briefly appears as a forest ranger. Such familiar B-picture faces as William Bonner, Jennifer Bishop and Russ Meyer starlet Haji (the latter having a very bad overbleached bouffant 'do day) pop up as members of a sickeningly wimpy chopper gang.

The Bigfoot creatures are stupendously sorry-looking: With their tatty, you-can-see-the-seams brown gorilla costumes, buggy eyes and rubbery, puffed-out monkey faces, they resemble rejects from a fifth-rate carnival freakshow. There's little action, nudity, violence or excitement to speak of (at one point Bigfoot wrestles a portly, out-of-it bear, but even this scene is so maladroitly staged that it fails to alleviate the incessant tedium). But there's plenty of dreadful dialogue ("As a former student of archeology I recognize these markings as having a peculiar significance"). Among the other malevolent cinematic blunders to be found within this beyond bad Bigfoot bogusity are stubbornly stationary cinematography, a hopelessly dated "groovy" semi-psychedelic rock score, a draggy pace, a meandering narrative and, last and definitely least, Robert F. Slatzer's horribly ham-fisted so-called "direction." The absolute pits.

bloody awful

Author: ThoseLittleRabbits from Los Angeles, California
14 August 2010

This movie was just plain awful. I've seen worse acting but this was just bad. But the acting wasn't really the problem. The problem was this movie was boring. Nothing even really happens. It felt like I was watching a 3 hour movie, but that's probably because I kept stopping it. I had to because it was so awful I couldn't take it all in one sitting. Only scary part that made me jump was when the girl in the green underwear and her boyfriend bump into one of the ape creatures. That was the only good part. Everything else just sucked. I was praying that the ape looking creatures would kill off or at least torture the blonde woman. Her constant screaming made my ears bleed. Even when I turned the volume down her screams (and I'm not kidding), got more piercing! Over and over again she kept screaming whenever she spotted the damn apes. It was unbelievable how this bimbo wasted time screaming at the top of her lungs instead of trying to find a way to get the hell out of there! She was the most annoying character and it sucks that she didn't even die....just to shut her up.

Carradine and the Ape

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
8 March 2008

Bigfoot (1970)

** (out of 4)

Bigfoot, needing to keep his race going, starts kidnapping big-breasted women. Everything's fine until he steals a biker chick whose boyfriend calls up a local motorcycle gang. This is so incredibly bad but thankfully it's silly enough to contain some wonderful laughs. The look of Bigfoot seems to have been made from a dirty shag rug and then there's John Carradine playing a redneck who think if he captures the creature he can sell it for millions. Everything in this film is pretty bad but that just adds to the charm. This is certainly one of the most entertaining drive-in flicks of the era.

Only For Carradine, Only For The Camp

Author: Rainey Dawn from United States
19 January 2017

Only John Carradine can get me to like this film just a tiny bit. His presence gives me the only reason to watch the movie and even then it's pretty bad. His performance is quite a funny one here.

The film is severely campy and that helps to create some of the pleasure out of viewing it. We have a man running around in an ape suit, a throwback to the 30s and 40s eras of the apes in films craze in a way.

The further along this film goes, the better it gets. It is in no way a good film, but it's stupidly campy enough to get a few giggle out of it. I find it one of those films you watch in the afternoon or to fall asleep by. Nothing special.

Dull and trashy, in equal measure

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
8 November 2015

BIGFOOT is a trashy Z-flick that manages to cash in on or rip off all kinds of popular trends from the period. The main thrust of the story, about a family of Bigfoot creatures living out in the forests who kidnap young women for procreation, has obviously been inspired by the supposedly genuine Roger Patterson Bigfoot footage that was shot in 1967 and released to much notoriety. This film even stages a homage in which one of the Bigfoot creatures strolls across open woodland just like in the movie. This flick becomes even more intriguing when watching, as it transpires that the director was responsible for a couple of shoddy biker flicks before he made this and, sure enough, a 'biker gang' are soon involved in the proceedings, although it has to be said that these bikers look more like university students!

The idea of bikers vs. Bigfoot is a good one but this film ruins it through shocking execution. The biggest problem is that the scant running time is padded out with endless upon endless scenes of bikers riding through the woods, cars driving through the woods, sometimes just landscape shots of the woods itself. There's about one few second scene of Bigfoot 'action' and the rest of the running time is made up of talking, which is boring. The characters are paper-thin and the actors are all poor, despite the presence of a few notables including John Carradine, hamming it up in a monster flick as only he knew how; brothers Christopher and John Mitchum, both sons of Robert with none of his ability; Joi Lansing, a cheesecake starlet who strips down to a flimsy dress early on and stays that way throughout; Bing Crosby's son Lindsay, who makes no impression whatsoever; even an ex-western star, Ken Maynard, severely down on his luck.

The cast alone and cheese factor saved this from the list of 'very worst films' I've amassed, but there isn't much to get excited about here. I thought things might pick up with the introduction of dynamite and a one-armed Bigfoot hunter, but I was wrong. The creatures – for there are a whole host of them running about in the murk – look like a cross between 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY's apes and those cavemen brothers from the cartoon series WACKY RACES. Needless to say that the costumes are tatty beyond belief and the multiple references to KING KONG only serve as a reminder of what trash this is. BIGFOOT crashes and burns from the very beginning and is a total waste of time.