IMDb > Die Bettwurst (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Die Bettwurst More at IMDbPro »

The touching story of Dietmar and Luzy, two not so young loversin the drastic world of Rosa von Praunheim.

Author: Thomas Krueger from Bremerhaven, Germany
6 June 2001

Incredible, truly incredible. What Rosa von Praunheim has done is far beyond description.

The actors, playing themselves and NOTHING ELSE act as if they have never been aware of a camera or the circumstance that there has been a director.Their lack of histrionic ambition does not stop them and so they scream, stammer (Dietmar Kracht is very good in it) and mumble their way thru the 78 minutes of the most bizarre film ever been made in my country. Von Praunheim maybe left his actors without any idea of a a scenario as it seems and kept the most absurd scenes uncut (the shower sequence !). Although von Praunheim does not force it the film is funny in a touching way. Sometimes it made me laugh so much I could hardly breathe. Certainly it is exhausting to take it in one session but if there ever has been a so-called cult movie: Here it is. Archaic, remorseless against it´s actors and of course against the audience.Dietmar and Luzy are the worst lovers in the history of cinema. If you haven´t seen this film, you ain´t seen nothing yet. This is a must for everyone interested in motion pictures.

OMG this is the best!

Author: s_tate423 from United States
12 May 2006

Let me tell you that this movie is HILARIOUS and I don't speak German. I watched this in Germany, because it is my aunt's favorite movie and she watches it daily. Literally. They come home from work, start drinking their beer, and pop in Die Bettwurst (which is a neck roll pillow - I thought I was going to watch a adult movie with my mom's side of my family). You think Napoleon Dynamite is funny? YOU WILL LOVE THIS! I'm telling you, this is a extremely hilarious movie with it's physical comedy and awkwardness. I haven't even mentioned how the clothes they are wearing is hilarious. The story is so random that it is obviously part of the joke. Look, you don't need to understand a word of German to love this movie. I agree. It is a cult classic if I ever saw one. Rocky Horror has nothing on this baby. I'd give it a 11 out of 10 if I could, but they won't let me do it.

The ultimate trash movie

Author: Ken_Buddha from Earth
10 May 2009

I have to disagree with Thomas Krueger's great review on one point: Luzi Kryn seems to be well aware of the camera, since she permanently stares right into it! This is the ultimate trash movie; I would recommend it only to people with a good sense of humor. If you like Ed Wood or, even more appropriate, the work of William "One-Shot" Beaudine, this is the flick you simply have to see.

Rosa von Praunheim's "masterpiece" features arguably the poorest acting and camera work, the strangest soundtrack (just one piece of music, lasting for about 15 seconds!), the worst props (easily outdoing even Ed Wood's movies) and the weirdest kidnapping scene ever put on celluloid, with possibly the most awkward noises ever heard in a cinema, courtesy, again, by the ultra-non-talented Luzi Kryn. But let's not forget Luzi's love interest Dietmar Kracht's amazing performance, especially in the later stages of the movie, when he arrives to rescue Luzi from his former friends (one of them apparently U.S.-born, whose lines are an odd mix of English and German), fittingly wearing a cape.

Even if you do not speak or understand German, you should be able to enjoy this wonderfully absurd piece of comedy, although Dietmar's over-the-top Mannheim accent delivers a few more highlights only people who are familiar with German idioms (he sounds like a very slow and distraught version of Boris Becker) might comprehend.

Insane but oddly amusing

Author: marc242 from germany
25 January 2009

I just watched this piece of "entertainment", and I must say it is one of the most bewildering movies ever. Technically its inept film-making at its worst. The Actors are obviously laymen, and do not know a single thing about acting. The camera-work is equally horrible, sometimes the camera is totally out of focus, at other times the camera just lingers for (seemingly) hours on the same scene without any cuts. Its like a glorified home movie really. The dialog is mostly mundane and nonsensical, the actors just seem to improvise their lines on the spot. But its really hilarious, the crazy 70s fashion, the wigs and the disgusting interior set decoration (Luzi Kryn's apartment) really sell the movie. But please be advised: This is definitely not your usual movie entertainment. Its crazy,amateurish and tasteless. A real treat for trash fans, but sometimes it's so incoherent, that it becomes extremely boring after a while. I can't really recommend this, but if you are interested in truly bizarre film-making, then this is a film for you.

Genius movie about homosexuals and cows

Author: mrdonleone from belgium
18 June 2010

Don't let the first part of 'Die Bettwurst' scare you off: it's utterly boring, yes, but the second part is interesting and the ending is a work of pure genius, with over the top acting that will make you laugh as hard as you ever did and a funny scene with cows, I believe this is the only movie ever made with a scene in which cows run away in fear! it's so funny, it will make you long for a sequel, and you will have forgotten the boring first part. okay, so now the question remains: what is this movie about anyway? well, it's actually about nothing, everything is improvised by a woman who wears a different wig every time we see her and a gay individual who is trying to make out with her. yes, it's all about homosexuals, trying to be straight because they want to be 'the same as everybody else'. off course, this is my own interpretation. a lot that's important remains unsaid, but it's all about homosexuality, even if you don't get it. it's about trying to be the ideal man in our society. that makes me wonder... are we each an individual with our own thoughts or mindless sheep being led to the slaughterhouse? 'Die Bettwurst' gives you an answer. it may not be the answer you were looking for, but it's an honest approach close to the truth we're all looking for. go and see 'Die Bettwurst'. you won't regret it.

Author: zero_joker
7 January 2006

Unfortunately "Plan 9 from outer Space" is believed to be the worst film of all times. But compared to this piece of sh**, Plan 9 from outer Space suddenly seems to be masterpiece of cinema. These 78 minutes were - definitely - the most horrible 78 minutes I have ever spent. Going to the dentist is fun compared to watching "Die Bettwurst", I would even go so far to say that spending the time at Guantanamo is more fun. Well maybe they use this movie for torturing the prisoners...

See there are people who claim that this is some kind of intellectual masterpiece, I've read up some highly dubious interpretations claiming this movie is a masterpiece of independent cinema, full of interesting metaphors of society. One of the greatest art-house films. That the idea to use actors who are absolutely unable to act is such a great idea.

But the border between an art-house film and complete utter bullsh** is very often quite narrow and in this particular case it is crossed.

Avoid this movie at all costs.