IMDb > "The Partridge Family" (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Partridge Family"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Partridge Family" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Brings Back Great Memories!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
21 February 2002

I was 5 years old when this show debuted, and can remember the popularity of it unlike any other show to date. The bubble gum cards, the records, teen magazines-everything to do with "The Partridge Family" was a hot commodity! "I Think I Love You" was the first song I ever knew all the lyrics to. This was due to my friends and I piling onto the swingset in my backyard, which included a 4 seater lawn swing which we made fit 8 kids, and sing "I Think I Love You" over and over again while pumping the lawn swing way into the air. Some of my friends would take the end cones off and sing through the top bar to get a reverb effect! Seeing the show in reruns throughout the '70s & '80s, it still had it's charm. It wasn't mean't to be an emmy award winner, but it served it's purpose-to be lighthearted and funny. The music showcased on the show was memorable too. Try watching an episode, and not have their songs replay in your head long after watching it. To me, "The Partridge Family" will always have a special place in my heart because it invokes happy memories from such a great time in my life.

One of the best 70s sitcoms.

Author: sonya90028 from United States
21 December 2007

The Partridge Family premiered in 1970. Sure, it was sort of corny. But most TV shows back then were. It was a more innocent era then, and so was television. It revolved around the misadventures of a squeaky-clean, middle-class family, who decided to form a band and make records. It was based on the real-life rock-n-roll family, the Cowsills. David Cassidy, who was a teen heart-throb on the show, played the eldest brother, Keith Partridge. Laurie Partridge, played by Susan Dey, was his cover-girl-pretty younger sibling, and tended to annoy Keith on a frequent basis. His other siblings were cute, precocious-types, especially Danny Partridge (who was the 10-year-old financial wizard).

The family was headed by widow, and cool mom, Shirley Partridge (played by David Cassidy's real-life step-mom, Shirley Jones). The cast was rounded-out by their hapless Manager, Reuben Kincaid (played by rubber-faced comic Dave Madden), who always made a perfect comic-foil for Danny. The whole family sang and played instruments. They cut several albums during the course of the series, that spawned some hit singles. Their songs to me, were really quite good, especially if you like soft-rock and love ballads.

I could identify with the Partridge's suburban life-style, having grown-up in a solid middle-American, middle-class suburb myself. Some of the kids on the show were my age, and some were the same ages as my own siblings.

This show came on ABC on Friday night, following another family sitcom with several kids, the Brady Bunch. The Partridge Family even had many episodes that were so similar to some Brady Bunch episodes, they could only be called shameless rip-offs. Still, it was a gentle, family-oriented show, with good music and good acting by the cast. I always looked forward to Friday nights back then, just so I could enjoy the Partridge Family on TV.

Time has treated it well

Author: (johnmcculloch@today.com.au) from Central Coast - Australia
16 March 2000

Recently I've had the pleasure of watching re-runs of this quite pleasant television show. While it never dealt in-depth with earth shattering issues, it was well performed, well crafted & had some great songs that showcased the era. Some may find it sappy & over indulgent, but take it for what it was, a light comedy for teenage viewers. Also the show did pick up three 'Golden Globe' nominations, so some in the industry must have been of the same opinion!

More remarkable than it first appears...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
18 September 2004

Amusing to see VH-1 staging a minor-scale "American Idol" to find the "new Partridge Family" (with judges who base their scores on, among other things, physical likeness to the original line-up). It's nice see Shirley Jones and David Cassidy involved (as for Danny Bonaduce, well...he'd appear at the opening of an envelope). But the really funny part is the fact that VH-1 does not air reruns of "The Partridge Family', so how do these young kids auditioning even know who Keith Partridge is (and what he meant to TV viewers and teenyboppers all over the world from 1970-1974). It's bound to flop, as did the remake of "Family Affair", simply because you can't get lightning to strike twice. "The Partridge Family" came along at the right time, when people needed it--needed to BELIEVE IN IT--and record producer Wes Ferrell and the editors at 16 Magazine and Tiger Beat made millions off the show (exploiting David Cassidy's manufactured wholesome image of the boy-singer-next-door). There were better shows of this period (and the laugh-track just screams at the sometimes corny humor), but the show does have great appeal, and the familial relationships have a lived-in feel (when Laurie and Danny kid Keith about his non-existent bald spot, they wink at each other as Keith goes mad with the hairbrush, and mom Shirley watches from the sidelines, no doubt enjoying the prank). They have tried unsuccessfully to reunite this group of actors for specials, and aside from a David-Danny-Shirley reunion on "Arsenio", they've failed. If you can't reunite the originals, why then is VH-1 betting on the success of duplicates? Maybe people need to believe again, or maybe Hollywood has really run dry of ideas.

Come on, get happy

Author: Monika-5 from United States
11 April 2001

A fun series. I liked the Partridges and always wanted to ride on that cool bus of theirs! I also enjoyed the musical numbers (even though David Cassidy and Shirley Jones were the only cast members to actually so the singing).

The *real* find of The Partridge Family? Forget David Cassidy and Susan Dey, it was Danny Bonaduce! His dry wit and deadpan delivery were right on, especially for someone as young as he was at the time. During a recent trip to California, I randomly bumped into Mr. Bonaduce at the Universal City Walk in North Hollywood. I was so excited, and he was kind enough to sign an autograph and pose for a picture! Danny, if you're reading this, thanks again!

One of the coolest sitcoms from the 1970s, I don't care what anyone else says!

Better than People Give it Credit

Author: suessis
16 September 1999

This show was a pop culture phenomenon that actually had its moments of creative inspiration. The relationship among the members of the cast, particularly during the first season, was wonderful. The writing always had some good moments and the performances of all the actors were great. Especially Danny Bonaduce as Danny and David Madden as the agent Mr. Kincaid. The show became a pop culture icon because it was new fresh and innovative for the time.

Just a fun show...

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
17 April 2007

for kids, and wish there were more like this today.

Shirley Jones, David Cassidy, Susan Dey and Danny Bonaduce are the primary characters; This show competed with the Brady Bunch when it first aired. It had the usual teen conflicts, Keith (David Cassidy) and his dating conquests. Danny and his latest scheme. The music was fun (so innocent- compared to what is offered up today!) Basically a good nostalgia show. The Reuben Kincaid interactions with Danny (Danny Bonaduce) are some of the best. Funny and cynical, Kincaid is the cranky old uncle, Bonaduce the trouble maker.

I don't know if this show is still available on cable regularly, but it is well worth watching. 9/10.

I'll watch it (but I can never find it)!

Author: (llihilloh)
21 July 2002

I like "The Partridge Family" for a lot of reasons. I like the music, the cast, the wonderful wardrobe and just about everything else. The shame of it all is that I can't find it anywhere on television (for quite some time now). Come on, TV Land! Where are you?

The cast - Shirley Jones is great. She's the perfect, wholesome mom. David Cassidy is great and I'm not just saying that because he can really belt out those songs, but because he's such the innocent teenager of the family. Susan Dey is enjoyable as is Danny Bonaduce. So he's a little annoying; that's okay with me.

I'm not too crazy about the writing itself, but thanks to the "terrific" performances from the cast, I've learned to like the different episodes.

What a wonderful sound coming from that Partridge house. I say crank up the tunes! Good work with the different songs each week as well as having the actors pretend to play them. (Nice cover up, crew.)

"The Partridge Family" is good mainly because it's in the seventies (I can go for just about anything from that time). Everything else about the show just falls into place and eventually it all works out for the best. They just don't make them like they used to.

This is an incredible Show!

Author: mattiajosephine from United States
11 July 2011

I have seen a few episodes of this show, and I must say this is an incredible show. It deals about a Californian suburban family who lived during the early 70s. They became a family who toured around the country in a multicolored bus and sang into everyone's living rooms. Even though this show was on the air 21 years before my time, it still lets generations of kids like myself, see what the madness was all about.

But they were than a band that sang and did songs. They were a family that wasn't preachy like the Bradys, and talked about certain issues that even the Bradys did not talked about. There were life lessons, motherly advice and values inside the family, but were a modern day family that we could relate to. An excellent cast and incredible music. 10/10. -Josephine

Terrific show that's aged well

Author: michaeldouglas1 from United States
18 March 2008

Loved the Partridge Family as a kid, and still enjoy watching it 35 years later. It's aged much better than most of the TV shows of that era (even given the changes in tastes -- hair-styles, clothes, music, etc). Really great "ensemble" acting with everyone contributing to the show's success (well, almost everyone -- little red-headed Tracy came across as a zombie with no musical ability, and mostly just stood around staring blankly into space!). Shirley Jones was the cement that held it all together -- a cool, hip mother, but one that didn't let her kids run rough-shod over her. Susan Day looked great and could spin off one-liners with the best of them (generally at Keith's expense). And the comic interplay between Reuben, Keith, and Danny was truly priceless. Even little Chris added a certain appeal (especially the cute Jeremy Gelbwaks, who played Chris during the first season -- gorgeous big blue eyes!). I still generally like the songs, too; especially during the first two seasons (those included in their first two albums). I just can't believe how slow Sony's been releasing onto DVD, though -- hurry up with Season Three, already!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]