IMDb > "All My Children" (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"All My Children"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"All My Children" More at IMDbPro »

greatest soap ever

Author: massivefart
21 April 2000

I have watched All My Children for over five years and the late 70's and early 80's. It is one show if i miss i get really upset. It has some the best actors, writers, and etc. It also has something a few soaps have long running characters they don't stick them in the backburner because some of the best characters are the one's that has been around the longest. My favorite has to Myrtle, Phoebe, Brooke, Adam and Stuart, Palmer Dixie and Tad and of course ERICA KANE she is the one reason i am a faithfull watcher and I never care what critics think because to me it is one of the few soaps that i am faithful to I do watch One Life to Live, Guiding Light. But you can't go wrong with a show that has been around for 30 years and has one more Emmy's than any other soap. Who can't forget the wonderful storylines Nina and Cliff, Angie and Jessie, Erica and Tom, Mike Roy, Adam, Travis, Jackson, and Dimitri, Palmer and Daisy and my favorite off all time Greg and my sweet sweet JENNY. For this is why ALL MY CHILDREN is my #1 soap and keep up the good work

I watched it on and off from the beginning...

Author: calvinnme from United States
17 May 2016

... that beginning being 1970. Susan Lucci often said that she was lucky in that she did not have a long slow rise to the top. She started out of college as the star of "All My Children" and was never really toppled from that position. At age 23 she played the high school brat, the kid that liked to take boys away from other girls just to hurt both of them in the end, trying to compensate for a famous movie making father who deserted her and her long suffering mother. When the show ended in 2011, I was somewhat sad, given that the disappearance of most soap operas was due to the arrival of cheaply produced reality shows, not so much a lack of ratings. Why pay Susan Lucci to act like a spoiled brat when people will behave like rutting pigs for free if they feel people are watching them, the network suits figured? However, perhaps in retrospect it was a good time to end the show. Lucci was within months of being eligible for Medicare by that time, and although she was remarkably well preserved, all good things must come to an end.

One of the big changes in soap operas to come around was in the mid 1970s when soaps began to introduce wealthy dynastic families and business power struggles as the center of the story lines versus ordinary people dealing with infidelity, divorce, sex and pregnancy before marriage - things that in general were discussed among the actresses playing housewives at the kitchen table over a cup of coffee. All My Children introduced first the Cortlandts to fill that spot in the late 1970's and then Adam Chandler as a rival businessman to the Cortlandts, with bad blood going back to the West Virginia hills from which both families came and the feud having very personal roots.

Finally there is Phoebe, who was the matriarchal version of Erica, who thought that her blue blood and full bank accounts made her better than anybody else and that she knew best for all concerned, and had no more problem meddling in other people's lives than Erica did. Played by Ruth Warrick, she did a splendid job at the role from the show's inception until then end of her life when her illness made her unable to continue regular appearances.

Several acting careers started here - Sara Michele Gellar, for example, later became the star of the long running TV series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer". Several acting careers ended here with good long running parts such as Ruth Warrick as Phoebe Tyler, David Canary as Adam Chandler, and James Mitchell as Palmer Cortlandt.

Here is where I usually say "catch it if you can", but you can't since the only soap opera ever put on DVD was "Dark Shadows", and there isn't even a Soap Net channel anymore because so few soap operas still exist. Look for the remains of this show on youtube. Some enterprising individuals have put some portions even from the early 1970's out on youtube. I don't know what they were using in the early 70s to record. Was there such a thing as a squirrel powered Betamax in 1970?

Bring back favorite Soaps to ABC

Author: abbiedougan
18 June 2015

Please bring back All My Children and One Life to Live to ABC Hulu is not user friendly and dose not run full current episodes..... Plus current Hulu customer pays more per live feed. I watched these shows for years on ABC and was a regular follower from Tara and Jeff, Brook and Adam on All My Children. One Life to Live from Vicky's illness to her Grand Children along with the Buchanan's. Their children and grand children. Tina and Cord, Dorian Lord her daughter and on. I miss these shows. I could always tape them if I was not able to watch them at the regular scheduled time on ABC. Please bring back these two shows to ABC

"You're Losing Her, Palmer. She's Just Like Her Mother."

Author: richard.fuller1
23 September 2011

Oh, where to go in reflecting on this 41-yr-old show.

Yes, it has given us the names of Phoebe, Erica, Courtland, Opal (Dorothy Lyman from the moment she squawked, "ooh, it's hot on this bus!"), and couples like Cliff & Nina, Greg & Jenny, Jesse & Angie.

But in my past 48-hr reflection, it seems to me this hearty program missed more marks than it hit. lol! No, no, it's okay. There were definitely some major pluses along the way.

I started with the show when it was ten-yrs-old. By then, Phil and Tara were just being removed (He was missing, she ran off with Jim Jefferson, a fellow in a striped pullover).

Dr. Chuck Tyler and hooker Donna Beck were married and in full-swing. In fact, that's the best place to begin. Donna couldn't have a kid, so she was going to get one off the black-market. "Once Chuck sees the baby, he'll fall in love with him." Didn't happen. Chuck got mad and they split up. Chuck married Carrie Sanders, Donna fell into a romance with Palmer Courtland (one of the wildest romances the show ever had). On a ski trip, Chuck and Donna are trapped in a cave, so they have sex. A child is conceived. What Donna didn't know is Palmer was sterile after a riding accident (and having his two kids), so he always knew he wasn't the father. Donna has the baby after FIVE MONTHS! So now Chuck and Donna have a kid. Guess what? The kid is killed in a night club fire.

This was always what AMC did. Even with that night club fire, we had Greg Nelson in a wheelchair, Ray Gardner was blind, Erica was locked in a dressing room and Chuck had left the baby in Donna' dressing room (she sang in the club). I started back to school, got out early, came home to see who was saved, and everyone was out of the club, the baby was the only fatality. Missed it all in thirty minutes.

The same thing would happen when Ray Gardner was going to blow up the Martin family on Christmas. I wanted to see the house blow up. Same setup. Started back to school after Christmas, came home early, missed thirty minutes of the show. House was intact, Ray blew himself up. Utter disappointment.

Early on, the show truly had some of the trashiest characters around, such as Ray Garnder, Billy Clyde Tuttle (married in real life to Christine Baranski, I believe), purehearted prostitute Estelle and a fave of mine, tho I don't think she was a hooker, Edna, a total nutcase.

Oh, yes, and Myrtle Fairgate; her brilliant turn trying to help Phoebe by warning her Langley Wallingford was an imposter. This woman raced to the church on foot, but didn't make it in time.

For me, a grand minus has definitely been Adam Chandler. In the entire time he has been on the show, it has been one little girl after another (Dixie, Gloria, Liza, etc.), making each woman look more and more stupid for falling for this man with his track record. Why any of these women would have anything to do with him after Dixie and Brooke alone is beyond me. Each one was just another 'hes trying to control you' bit.

This pretty much led to the total ruination of Marcy Walker's Liza Colby. Walker didn't like the early on schoolgirl image she had on AMC(not that the forgettable wispy haired Eden Capwell on Santa Barbara was any better), but upon returning and hooking up with Adam? The promise in Liza was that she could have gone on to rival Ercia Kane.

Definitely this was AMC's major problem. Palmer Courtland and Adam Chandler should have paired up with characters like Marion Colby and Enid Nelson (one of the most annoying women around), then with these guys as parents, the young people of Pine Valley wouldn't stand a chance! Marion did eventually marry a Chandler, but it was daffy brother Stuart.

But again, the minuses were always there. AMC mocked the 'chased by bad guys' bit popularized by Luke & Laura from General Hospital (after doing a couple of Lovers On The Run story lines theirselves) by having Tad, Dottie, Greg, Jesse, whoever, running from bad guys encircling a monument, and other characters (a woman with a baby carriage, etc.) end up joining in to slapstick music. If the show didn't take things seriously, how could viewers?

I was recalling Angie's parents, played by Lee Chamberlain (Electric Comany) and Antonio Vargas (Starsky & Hutch). All that objection to Jesse and then Dad turns out to be running a black market baby scheme anyway. And Mike Minor (Petticoat Junction) as Brandon Kingsley.

And I never recall seeing another show have to recast in mid-story as AMC did, from Mrs. Gonzales, the hispanic landlady who helped Jesse and Jenny (she changed in mid dramatic moment), to Mike Roy, should have been Erica's true love, another actor had to do the death scene.

And where on Earth did Natalie (Kate Collins) come from? I was trying to recall this. I think she was a rival for Erica somewhere in there. She never really carried much weight, did she? Some Kent Bogard, Lars Bogard storyline. I think Lars ended up a Nazi and the agent for models, Olga, was his sister?

And another biggie, Brooke's mother, played by Patricia Barry, ended up the big villianess, Cobra. There was Phoebe's sister-in-law. Too hilarious.

No, it wasn't a bad run, I will say that. Been some fun moments, lots of fun moments. The gang was missed anyway, Palmer, Nina, Jenny, Daisy, but they have provided some hearty memories.

All My Children is getting old like Susan Lucci

Author: ctdrummer-103-697474 from United States
11 July 2011

I have watched this show since almost the beginning in 1971. It used to be an interesting show with multi layered plots. It began to decline when Susan Lucci tried to play herself as a 14 year old. That was nauseating. The woman is now in her 60s and it shows! This new story line with TWO Ericas whining and manipulating people is so bad that even the threat of the show going off air will not get me back to watching on a regular basis. My dream ending to the show when it goes off air in September would be for all the characters to plan an intervention for Erica and when she walks into the room each character tells her how selfish, self centered and self absorbed she has always been and that no one ever liked her. Then the actors would go out of character to tell Lucci that she is a one dimensional actress with no talent who never even deserved that one pity Emmy that she received. How many times did she have to lose before she got the hint that she is just a bad actress and stopped submitting her tepid work to the Academy? Sigh - One can only dream.

My Forty Years in Pine Valley

Author: ameilius from United States
8 November 2010

I've been watching All My Children since Day One, and the show has a very different feel today than it did back in 1970. Originally it was a multi-generational, multi-layered story about people in the mythical small town of Pine Valley, PA. Created by Agnes Nixon,it dealt with real-life social issues: drug abuse, racism, rape,domestic violence,prostitution, even homelessness. The characters came from different backgrounds and diverse ethnicities. There were the rich, upper-class Tyler and English families, along with the middle-class Martins, and further down on the social scale, the working-class Benny Sago and Mrs. Valentine. It also had social outcast Donna Beck, a runaway teen prostitute, and her outrageous pimp Billy Clyde Tuggle! But the most popular character, a break-out character really, was Susan Lucci's Erica Kane.

From the start Erica stole the show. She debuted in 1970 as a teenager from a broken home. She started out with a Daddy complex and a great big chip on her shoulder. Good writing soon transformed her into something more human,and as the decades passed we learned more about her troubled history. Turns out she'd been raped at age 14 by a pedophile friend of her father's, apparently with Dad's foreknowledge and consent! Ever since that event Erica has had emotional issues. Despite her worldly success she's still struggling, 40 years later, to like herself. No amount of male attention is ever enough, hence her long string of discarded husbands and lovers. She's a fascinating, complex character and, according to Lucci herself, great fun to play. Lucci portrays Erica with a light comedic touch, which is why the fans continue to love her.

Looking back, I remember the 1980's and 1990's as AMC's Glory Years. Inspired writing, along with a superb cast of actors, guaranteed that. During this period the show introduced two new families: the Cortlandts and the Chandlers. These were rich, powerful clans with bigger-than-life patriarchs---Palmer Cortlandt and Adam Chandler---continually at each other's throats.Palmer was a cold-blooded tycoon who lived in a Gothic mansion with his "Princess in the Tower" daughter Nina. Similarly, Adam wielded power from the Chandler Mansion and soon emerged as the villain we loved to hate. Adam's manipulations drove away all of his wives---over the decades he had several, including Erica and the redoubtable Brooke English---and even his own children. Today Adam's son and heir, JR, is a recovering alcoholic with deep-seated problems that he's likely to "hand down" to the next generation of Chandlers. Stay tuned.

Another memorable character was, and is, Tad Martin. An abandoned child, he was adopted by the Martin family nearly 40 years ago. Later he "grew up" into the adult Tad that we know today. Young Tad was a womanizer and a cad, yet likable because of his wit and charm. After numerous escapades he found true love with sweet Dixie Cooney, and the fans applauded. Other popular pairings kept viewers riveted. Cliff and Nina...Greg and Jenny...Angie and Jessie...Natalie and Trevor. Angie and Jesse achieved special distinction in being the first official black Super Couple ever seen on daytime. They, along with Tad, are still on the show, and we're glad to have 'em.

But all good things must come to an end. Once Disney bought AMC, this once-glorious show went into a downward tailspin. New people were running it now, people who apparently knew nothing about soaps. The writing regime changed every year or so, with character history violated or simply ignored. The scribes gave us short-term "shock and awe" story lines that made no sense. One of the worst was Erica's hitherto unknown son, an aborted fetus kept alive by a mad scientist...Yeah, right. And then the horrendous tale of Tad, our beloved Tad, burying a man alive and literally getting away with murder! Not to mention the travesty of Dixie's death by poisoned pancakes. After Head Writer Megan McTavish killed off Dixie, for no apparent reason, there was a general outcry from the viewers. AMC was in bad trouble, and all because of the writing.

Yet even in recent years the show has had its redeeming features. The Kane family, for one. Erica's two daughters have been skillfully woven into the Pine Valley tapestry. Kendall (the child of rape) appeared on Mom's doorstep with an initially bad attitude but has since evolved into a charming if somewhat wacky heroine. Bianca, the younger child, "came out" as a lesbian back in 2000 in one of the best scenes I've ever seen on daytime. The hard-won but close sisterly bond between "Binks" and Kendall, and their coming to terms with their celebrity Mom, has been masterly storytelling.

Notwithstanding All My Children is currently on life support, like so many other soaps. Why? The main problem, I suspect, lies in its dearth of good old-fashioned romance. The only Super Couple left seems to be "Zendall"---Kendall and Zach---and with Zach's portrayer, Thorsten Kaye, about to leave the show, even that will soon be gone. But please, no more "Rylee" (Greenlee and Ryan)! "Rylee" is an uninspired pairing that the fans in overwhelming numbers hate, yet the Disney suits have been kicking that dead horse for years. When the chemistry ain't there, folks, it just ain't there. Greenlee, a delightful bitch, had a great romance years ago with Leo Dupres---another break-out character, played by actor Josh Duhamel---but with Ryan she fizzles. I'd rather see her reunited with her dastardly hubby, David Hayward, who we all know isn't really dead...Stay tuned!

love the show most of the time

Author: tashasmom208 from United States
14 August 2009

All My Children is and always has been my favorite soap. Have watched it from the beginning when Erica was a teenager and loved the original Tara and Phil. I miss so many of the old cast members. many of which are deceased. Pheobe, Mona,etc, etc. Erica will never change. she is just as beautiful today as she was as a young lady. This might be considered as a spoiler but i do not think the present cast (at least some of then) compare to the original cast mates. Maybe its my age but the Annie Laverys and the Ryan Laverys just bore me. i Also think i could do without anymore of Ryan's torso shots without a bra. His boobs are bigger than mine and i have to wear one.

Adam Has His Day

Author: larbrook from United States
13 April 2007

I never understood why Adam didn't call his security people, his attorney, or Jack, since he couldn't get a positive response from the police, to have the Martins thrown out of his house. Even to put Krystal out after she refused to leave. To watch these people in Adam's house and no one could do anything to get them out was too unrealistic. I had a great deal of trouble following this part of the storyline. They could have been made to leave.

Plus, I never understood why he didn't have them arrested for kidnapping him and placing him illegally in the mental institution. This was a perfect revenge tool Adam could have used to get back at Tad Martin for sleeping with Krystal. Why was this left hanging because he could have had them arrested for kidnapping him and the institution could have been sued?

It doesn't make sense for Colby to turn her back on her father after the way he has been treated by the Martins and her brother, in his own house thank you? She has never taken offense with Tad and Krystal for sleeping together, instead she acts like she is perfectly happy about it. She doesn't get angry with them for kidnapping her father, for forcefully taking over his house and for some of the other things they have done to him. I don't understand where she is coming from. No daughter in her right mind would side with someone who has hurt her father. She doesn't even inquire about her father or his whereabouts. It's as if she doesn't care!!! This too was totally unrealistic and very hard to swallow.

Adam must have his day and soon. He is entitled to it. Please devise something very soon, if you haven't already, that puts the Martins, Colby, and JR in their places.

Always A Favorite

Author: Kelly from Miami, FL
17 January 2000

I have been watching AMC since I was 2. I'm 17 now. My mom has been watching it since the start. I love it! We record it everyday so I can watch it, because I have to go to school. When I used to go to camp my mother would write me letters telling me what happened. AMC is by far the best soap out there. I've watched others before, and the characters just aren't as strong, and neither are the story lines. It's kind of funny because I got all my friends hooked on AMC also. Erica is the best character in the world. Well Susan Lucci is the best actress! I was almost in tears when she finally won the Emmy! I also love how the story lines have all these twists and turns, you never know what is going to be next. My favorite thing by far on AMC is the weddings. The best wedding of all of them, I think was Edmund and Maria's wedding. It was so cute when they left in the carriage while it was snowing. It is so funny to see people who used to be on AMC now staring in other thing, like Sarah Michelle Geller for instance, she basically got her foot in the door by playing Kendall. I've been watching AMC for 15 almost 16 years, and I will probably continue to watch it for another 15 more. I think you should too.

My Favorite Pierce Riley

Author: Asley C. Dundee from United States
28 January 2011

I cannot tell you how much I miss the actor James Fitzpatrick. I recently saw James on a rerun of the television show of J.A.G. and I was reminded how compelling he is as an actor.

He still has very deep brooding eyes and a face that could freeze Medusa. I was in school when AMC was on but my mom used to tape it and we would watch it together at night.

It was kind of funny but I remember my mom saying that Pierce Riley was her favorite character too. I used to go to bed at night dreaming of meeting Mr Fitzpatrick one day.

Even though I know I know it was a fantasy, I still hope to see him acting in other TV shows and movies because I really enjoy him as an actor.